'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New trailer, sqeaking brakes, warm tire

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-04-14 11:56 AM
3 replies, 3491 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-04-14 11:18 AM (#103344)
Subject: New trailer, sqeaking brakes, warm tire

Veteran

My friend bought a brand new gooseneck trailer,  about 10,000 pounds 23 feet on the floor.  The trailer was driven around the states a little bit getting the LQ installed and delivered to her house.  The first day she drove it to my house we noticed a squeak in one of the right trailer tires but did not notice any heat in the tires.  The squeak seemed to orginate when the brakes were applied but it was not real consistent.  I drove it for her the next day and we both noticed the squeak pretty bad and I felt the brakes pulsating when applied,  I adjusted the Ford integrated brake controller but it did not change the pulsating.  There is not pulsating when the trailer is not attached to the truck.  The next day she took it to a local RV dealer who examined it and said the brake were operating fine and he adjusted them somewhat and said she was good to go.  While on the way home she still had the squeak and now the tire seems to be getting quite warm/hot.  She has a big trip ahead of her and is taking it back to the RV dealer but what do you all think?  Brakes?  bearings?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-14 11:33 AM (#103346 - in reply to #103344)
Subject: RE: New trailer, sqeaking brakes, warm tire

Expert

Most new trailers require the brakes being used a bit, and then having the brakes readjusted for optimum performance. A pulsing brake is usually an indication of a warped brake rotor or out of round brake drum.

If it has a drum brake system, the drum could be out of round, the brakes were adjusted in just one spot, and the shoes could now be dragging. The drum can be easily installed on a lathe, inspected, and trued round again if necessary. It only takes a few minutes.

It would be a good idea to have this wheel pulled, the brakes inspected, and the mechanical linkage inspected. The bearing doesn't usually cause pulsing, but it would be an opportune time to inspect its lubrication and tightness as well.

Definitely have this situation inspected and resolved before any trips are anticipated

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-04-14 11:43 AM
Hitch and go
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-04-14 11:45 AM (#103347 - in reply to #103344)

Regular

What brand axles?  What size are the axles?  A 7.2K or 8K axle brake needs to be tightened a certain way.  Like you tighten a wheel.  If not the backingplate does not seat correctly on the brake flange. 
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-04-14 11:56 AM (#103349 - in reply to #103344)

Extreme Veteran

You might want to have someone pull the wheels and make sure there is grease. I had a wheel lock up on a brand new trailer because of lack of grease. Thankfully it was under warranty and was handled by the trailer manufacturer and the axle manufacturer. From what I have read on other posts on this forum, it can and does happen more than it should. Just a thought.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)