'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Gaited horse people

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-04-28 10:28 PM
45 replies, 9970 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Nicki
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-27 1:50 PM (#102234)
Subject: Gaited horse people

I am looking at buying my first gaited horse.  I have been riding quarter horses for about 17 years.  I am looking at a young unstarted Missouri Fox Trotter.  I have never rode a gaited horse and some gaited horse people have told me I should buy a trained horse already set in his/her gaits.  She also told me that it did not make a lot of sense to buy a gaited horse if I ride with quarter horses because I would never get to gait. 

Gaited horse people could you give me your opinion?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Brn2rde
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2009-03-27 2:04 PM (#102238 - in reply to #102234)
Subject: RE: Gaited horse people

You will love riding your gaited horse.   I was once a sworn quarter horse rider, thought that was the only horse for me, till I rode a gaited horse.   I loved it!  I was the first one to get a gaited horse, Mo. Foxtrotter,  he settled down would walk with the rest of the group, when we picked up the pace we would just get right into our little gait it was great.   I found out that you didn't near as tired, legs, butt and back, after an 8 hour ride, you still could walk.   Now everyone in our group has transitioned over to gaited critters, both mules and horses.  Some of us has had back surgery and we're able to ride as long as we want.  Go with your heart on your choice,   these horses can climb a steep hill, go through brush, climb rocks as well as any other breed.   Quarter horses are still great, don't get me wrong, but a nice foxtrotter or walker is really nice to ride also.  Best of luck in your selection.

j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2009-03-27 2:13 PM (#102239 - in reply to #102234)

Veteran

You will get answers that are all over the place on this! Generally, it is better to buy a gaited horse that is set in it's gait only because you don't yet have the experience to recognize the gait your horse is doing and how to correct it if it isn't gaiting properly. Each breed of gaited horse has what is called it's "signature" gait. But, they all don't always do the gait their breed is known for. However, they still can do a smooth gait. I have a walker that likes to rack. He can do a running walk but his rack is even smoother. Starting a gaited horse is no different than starting a non-gaited horse until you get to the gaiting part!

You certainly can ride a gaited horse with your QH friends. Your horse will naturally walk faster, but, as in anything, it can be taught to slow down. Or, you can gait up ahead and wait for your friends to catch up. I think the big problem comes when you find out what a blast it is to ride a faster, smoother gait you will not want to ride slow anymore. But, you have that option. We went from QH to gaited and love it. For a while I rode a TWH and my husband rode a QH. But, he finally switched over. We still ride slow with QH friends but we can gait up a storm together!

Do not buy a horse that someone tells you it's gait "needs a little work". You wan to buy a naturally gaited horse. Gaited horses are usually ridden with a little more collection than a stock horse. That is something you will get used to.

Ride a few gaited horses to get the feel. Since they all will feel slightly different you will learn what gait you like the best. Another reason to buy a horse already under saddle.

Enjoy! MFT are really a nice breed and generally great dispositioned.

Judy
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-03-27 3:21 PM (#102245 - in reply to #102234)

Expert

I agree with what your friends have told you.    Do NOT buy an untrained gaited horse if you are untrained in riding gaited horses. I think of it as you learn to ride a bicycle - but that does not mean you can automatically learn to ride a motorcycle... : ) there's more buttons and levers.

Buy a well-seasoned gaited horse that needs little, if any support, in getting its gaits.

Some gaited horses are pacey/ some are trotty. All horses have to learn to carry weight and move correctly. Find a breeder and/or gaited horse trainer and have them help you find the right horse.

I have a super smooth QH and have bought 2 gaited horses... and my good friend trains gaited. I'm still having trouble. LOL...  My QH trots when I ride with gaited horses and his trot is SUPER smooth and easy. He does NOT speed up his walk.  I bought gaited so that I could "keep up" with my friends who are nearly all riding gaited horses.

MFTs go differently than TWHs and Rockies or Kentucky pleasure horses. "Chunk of meat, two potatoes" is their rythym. 

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-03-27 3:59 PM (#102251 - in reply to #102234)

Elite Veteran

Congratulations!  You will love your gaited horse, no matter what type you get.. I agree with the above postings on buying an already trained gaited horse.. As said above all gaited horses have variations in their gait, even within the same breed. You don't want to have to teach a horse to "settle" in his gait when you are just learning yourself.. If you have fallen in love with the untrained young horse, buy him if you can for later. Get a seasoned horse for now to learn for yourself what is "right".  I am on my 4th gaited horse and all have (had) different feeling gaits, but all are smooth.. Again, as said, you may need to ride with a little collection to help "set" the horse.  Do not fall into the belief that all gaited horses must have a walking horse bit with shanks.. All of mine are (were) ridden in snaffles and gait just fine. you may need a wider-treed saddle, but this is not necessarily so.. My littlest mare takes the widest tree. Most rockies and MFT, have wider shoulders and lower withers.. My rocky mare could nearly be classified as mutton-withered. My new TWH mare still takes a med tree, but she was pretty well emaciated when I got her and isn't back up to a good weight/muscle mass yet.. It is said that most gaiteds need a little extra shoulder clearance to be able to gait well. There are "gaited horse saddles" that have a flared front for ease of shoulder movement...I don't know that I'd spend the money on one, I have regular saddles except wide as I said before.  While you are in the looking process, try to ride as many as you can so that you can start to feel what is right or detect the differences in different horse's gaits.. You will better be able to make a decision on your own when you find the right one.

Have fun looking and good luck!

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-03-27 7:19 PM (#102262 - in reply to #102234)

Elite Veteran

I rode QH's for 30yrs and I bought my first gaited horse (TWH) a little over a year ago. Buy one that is seasoned. I love the one I have but I can't get him to stay in gait and he gets trotty at times. But when I do get him in gait and he stays there DAMN DAMN DAMN that's all I can say.I'm looking for my next one which will be a MFT.I had a filly but sold her. I had the idea of starting her then I thought, nope my next one will be finished. For one I'm just too old to be hitting the ground and I just bought my first LQ last summer so I want to be in the mountains camping...Good Luck in your search.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-03-27 8:56 PM (#102270 - in reply to #102234)

Expert

I have raised several foxtrotters and I'm in process of training them. It's been a challenge for somebody that has riden Arabs and Paints for years.

Like all young horses, they stil spook and step on you and do other dumb things that young horse do.  So that part is no different than other breeds.  I ride with people on all breeds of horses.  And my young foxtrotters  have a tendency to break gait in order to keep up with the other breeds. It would be a WHOLE lot easier to teach them to hold their gait if the others I rode with had similar speeds and gaits. So if you are riding with non-gaited horses, you will probably be happier with a horse that is set in it's gait.

But if you are a good trainer, you can learn to recognize the gaits and can help your young horse to develop his gait.

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-03-27 9:18 PM (#102272 - in reply to #102234)

Elite Veteran

I love to ride! We have two nice gaited horses.. We have owned and ridden quarterhorses for many years. When we get out on the trail, we enjoy the scenery! Many of the gaited people zoom down the trail like their butts are on fire!! Some do like us, ride easy and trot out once in a while. Many of the trails we go on are pretty challenging and we need the hind end power our quarters have. Just be sure you ride them out before you buy, then decide. Don't cave into any pressure from peer groups. Good Luck to you, and Happy Trails!
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-03-27 9:22 PM (#102273 - in reply to #102270)

Extreme Veteran

We too switched to gaited horse 10+ years ago after riding Arabs for 40 plus years.

You will love it. We've found it is not easy to find the really nice, naturally gaited ones in the TWH or Foxtrotters. Yes, you find some but they have the poorest percentage of naturally smooth gaits. We found the mountain horse that racks, to have a better tendency to be naturally gaited.

Do ride a bunch of them before deciding on one.
apricotbend
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-03-28 1:15 PM (#102306 - in reply to #102234)

Regular

Ok, here's my two cents. If you ride 20 gaited horses you'll find some with terrible, rough gaits and some with delightful smooth gaits and a bunch in between. You want the smooth ones.

Gimmicks can improve some of the bad gaits. Included in the gimmicks are excessively tight reins--big bits--head pulled nearly in to the chests. Take a look at some of the Horses For Sale Video Ads and you'll see this. You don't want to have to do that. Guess what the horse thinks of it. I won't even mention the long toes and heavy shoes.

If you get an untrained gaited horse you may be buying a natural pacer and you sure don't want that.

Lastly, some gaited horses are trippy and can't stand up. I have a dozen friends that have had their gaited horses fall with them, including myself. Now I don't like having a horse fall pinning me underneath them. Some of the riders have just been slow gaiting on smooth ground when they fell. Some have been just run walking around an arena with a great surface. None of those horses had long toes. They were just clumsy. Get an athletic gaited horse.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2009-03-29 4:48 AM (#102334 - in reply to #102234)

Extreme Veteran

My husband is (sort of) thinking about getting a horse.  he is very good on the ground w/ them but mine, being Arabians,  are not the most forgiving for a beginner to ride.  

As long as the rain holds out this aft. we're gonna ride with some friends and he'll try their MFT.   I want this to be a good experience and hopefully he'll like it and we can do it again.  

My friend Kathy always says "come to the dark side" and ride gaited.  She used to have an arabian but now they have MFTs and Icelantics, and swears she'll never go back.   I agree they are much more comfortable and overall more level headed than the silly A-rabs but at this point can't ever see myself swiching.  Going gaited may be the best thing for my husband though.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-03-29 11:23 AM (#102353 - in reply to #102234)

Expert

I will personally never own any other breed of trail/pleasure riding horse but a Missouri Foxtrotter.
ingta59
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-29 12:10 PM (#102354 - in reply to #102234)

I ride a TWH mare and I would agree with those who have suggested that you try several horses before deciding. I don't think buying an unstarted horse is the best idea. Being new to the gaited horse, you would probably be happier with a horse that is finished and ready to hit the trails. Riding a finished horse will allow you to "learn" how to ride a gaited horse...although some are so smooth that if you can sit, you can ride! Trying several horses while you are looking will allow you to feel the differences in gait even among the same breed of horse.Good luck with your search!
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-03-29 4:47 PM (#102373 - in reply to #102234)

Expert

http://www.shobaonline.com/ Smooth! Here is smooth.I had one of these years ago and would love to have another.   Also try YOU TUBE tons of gaited horse videos of all differant breeds.Lots and lots of videos.

Edited by hounddog 2009-03-29 4:52 PM
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-03-29 9:53 PM (#102401 - in reply to #102234)

Extreme Veteran

Hounddog, you bet. The Single Footers are great. I just bought 4 more of them. They are truly my type of ride. You couldn't give me another TWH or a Foxtrotter. We've been thru a bunch of them trying to get consistent smooth. It's a good think some folks like them, otherwise, they'd go wanting waiting on me. I'd go back to Arabs first. Just too many of them are hard to get consistent in their gait.

I'd have to disagree with gaited horses being more trippy than any other breed. I've found them to be less trippy than the quarter types. Of course, unless there is something physical wrong with a horse, they have to be taught to be trippy. Trippy horses are usually the result of the rider riding lazy and letting the horse get lazy.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-03-30 1:41 AM (#102407 - in reply to #102234)

Expert

I've had years ago a signlfooter and later a half and half(Walker/Saddlebred) gelding that could gait as fast as other horses could run.They could gait with no shoes,short toes and in dried up creek beds,mountain trails and NEVER miss step or trip.Good SINGLE FOOTERS are the only horses I've come across that will give a endurance type ARAB a hard time when it comes to stamina.I'd like a nice big BLACK Racking/Signalfooting STANDARDBRED and they are out there.Not in these parts but they are out there.The FEW Fox Trotters I have come across on  the trails all RACKED.Did NOT Foxtrot.I had a Walker gelding that in heavy woods around trees/downfalls Foxtroted.Went over to a horse traders place near me one Saturday last year and he had a Buckskin mare in his arena.Said I don't know what she does but its SMOOTH.I watched a moment and the mare was run walking on the front and a little ole soft trot on the rear! Well darn a FOXTROTTERING gait.She was built like a Qtr.Was 7 or so and he wanted $2k for her.No papers etc.He got her at a Saturday sale.I thought she was a dandy.He hadn't a clue to what she was doing until I told him. Go to YOUTUBE and dig around.Hours of gaited horse videos from all over the WORLD.

Edited by hounddog 2009-03-30 1:44 AM
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2009-04-06 8:24 PM (#102872 - in reply to #102234)

Extreme Veteran

Singlefooters are awesome. Watching them fly down a dirt road or on the side of the road is a sight. Watching 20-30 in an arena is just insanity. Never owned oned but I beat they are a blast to ride.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-04-07 6:16 AM (#102883 - in reply to #102234)

Expert

Yeah! You talk about a HOOT at a Saturday night horse show! Let 'em rack on!
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-04-07 10:30 AM (#102892 - in reply to #102234)

Regular

Well I just bought my first gaited horse! We have QH and Paints but I wanted something with a smoother ride. He is 4 yrs old, VERY skinny and very green! I paid 130.00 for him and know it will take a lot of time and feed to get him up to snuff but I think(hope) he will be worth it. I,m not sure about how to train him to his gaits but am going to try once he gets some weight on and I get rid of the warts on his nose. Hubby is very upset with me and says i should have gotten one already trained but he was so pathetic and he is so sweet. I have ridden him once and he got in the gait but because he is in such bad shape I didnt want to push him. Any helpful ideas about the training and warts would be great.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-04-07 12:02 PM (#102898 - in reply to #102234)

Expert

Any of the various "natural horsemanship" guru's methods work well; after all, a horse is a horse. The most important thing in a gaited horse that will be different from your stock horses is that he has to be "in frame" to gait properly. Don't confuse that with a "death grip" that you see some folks do, it's just that you can't ride them thrown away.You have to ride with some collection to engage the rear (their motor) and get cadence in the gait. Cadence is the key to smoothness. While he's fattening up, do a lot of ground work and slow work under saddle, such as flexion, moving away from pressure, and just standing quietly. A lot of gaited horses never learn these basics and it's very annoying. People just want to get on and go ninety to nothing and the horse just isn't complete without the basics. Enjoy your new horse!

Edited by hounddog 2009-04-07 12:04 PM
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-04-07 6:18 PM (#102920 - in reply to #102234)

Regular

Amen to ground work! I have already started him on that and so far he seems very gentle and kind. I think he is just happy to have been rescued! I have taught him to lounge and was wondering if I would see his gait there? The one time I rode him he went right to it. I felt like I was holding him back but since reading this thread I realize now that is normal. Whew way different than my paint horse! Thanks for all the info everyone! I will keep you posted.
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-04-09 4:32 AM (#102993 - in reply to #102234)

Regular

Would I use the same bit on TWH as my paints (snaffle bit)? Several non gaited horse people tell me to get a different bit. Most have said do not ride him in any kind of snaffle. Im confused cause we have never used a medium port bit on anything( seems harsh to me), but this is what I'm being told to get.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-04-09 6:16 AM (#102997 - in reply to #102234)

Expert

Gaited horses will often trot (sometimes poorly) on the lunge line because they're not collected. Notice his trot is probably "strung out". He may gait if reins are tied back or in a bitting rig but a little bit of lunging either on a line or free goes a looong way with this sort of horse. Snaffle is ok for schooling and if you can get your collection in a snaffle before you graduate to a bit, more's the better. The goal is collection with lightness; the ultimate goal with any horse is to feel like you could ride him with #10 sewing thread! In other words, there is life after snaffle but only after the basics are down pat. We often school in a snaffle then use a bit in "public", just like the show folks do ;-).
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-04-09 8:10 AM (#103004 - in reply to #102920)

Extreme Veteran

And don't forget, if a gaited horse is not shaken, they are not gaiting. That head has to be moving in order for them to gait, as such, you can not expect them to gait with a bit flopping loose in their mouth. Don't have to have much, but you have to have bit contact, ie, you have to hold that bit in place with your hands. That's a big reason why a lot of them will not gait on a lunge line or at liberty.
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-04-09 8:43 AM (#103006 - in reply to #102234)

Regular

Yesterday when I started driving him ( lounge lines hooked to the bit then ran up thur the saddle and down thru the stirups I had him in a tom thumb snaffle and he got in what I would describe as a gait. Head bobbing, hips down, front legs seem to be extending out fully he was very responsive to the bit except to stop with. He gives easily (turns) to each side,and backs up well, he just doesnt stop very quickly. Is this normal or is this why I need a different bit? I lounge and work him at least 2 hrs a day( frigging weather permiting) and he is very quick and willing to learn but I dont want to blow his mind either. Needless to say I am very proud of the progress  we have made in 2 weeks time and have decided to keep him and sell my 9 year old paint mare. I want to do what is best for us both so that is why I want to get the correct bit for him. May God Bless all those who are responding with help here! I thought I knew how to train horses but whew this seems completly different.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)