'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer batteries

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-21 11:53 PM
2 replies, 2544 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ldief
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-21 10:41 AM (#101862)
Subject: Trailer batteries

New User

Hi,

I'm learning how to fix up my trailer, which includes changing the dead battery that I threw out before I realized it was different.... Dumb. Anyway, is there a way to know what type of battery goes into trailers? Do most trailers take the same type of battery? This trailer's battery will only be used occasionally for lights inside the dressing room.

Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-03-21 5:34 PM (#101873 - in reply to #101862)
Subject: RE: Trailer batteries

Expert

I would look at buying a deep cycle battery vs a standard car battery. The main difference is:

A car's battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time

A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time.

A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates.

Once you have decided what type of battery to purchase. You next need to pick the right sized battery. This will be mostly dictated by the location that holds the battery. Measure the width, length and height of the storage area and pick a battery that will fit into that area.

The third consideration of the battery is how long it is designed to last. You will see batteries with 36 month, 48 month, 60 month and even some 84 month guarantees. The long the life the more they cost.

ldief
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-21 11:53 PM (#101891 - in reply to #101862)
Subject: RE: Trailer batteries

New User

Thank you- that was very thorough and helped me make a decision.  Deep cycle it is!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)