'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Kiefer Built w/ WDH ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-17 12:00 PM
3 replies, 2880 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Bytor62
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-17 11:27 AM (#101572)
Subject: Kiefer Built w/ WDH ?

New User

Hi all,

I have a 2002 Kiefer Built Eagle XLA 3 horse trailer and wanted to add a Weight Distributing Hitch (Equal-i-zer brand).  After looking at the A-frame of the trailer I have a question.  The frame is made of angle iron (upside-down L) and not the typical c-channel.  Can a WDH be safely attached to the frame?  Is there a concern of bending the frame?  I was thinking of adding an aluminum or wood block where the WDH brackets attach to fill in the void.  I spoke with someone at Equalizer and they recommended adding a block of hardwood , such as oak.  Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup?

Thanks for any input.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-03-17 11:51 AM (#101578 - in reply to #101572)
Subject: RE: Kiefer Built w/ WDH ?

Expert

I dont see why a WDH would bend the frame, but if in doubt contact Kiefer.  Some aluminum tongues are not recommend for use with a WDH, but youre talking about actual steel "angle iron" right?

I had a similar "gap" issue on my trailer, when I hauled with the Trailblazer and Equal-i-zer (excellent hitch).  It was not quite as big as what youre talking about, but same principal.  I used a piece of steel tube I had laying around.  I think a piece of wood would be fine, might want to keep an eye on it for wear.

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-17 11:51 AM (#101579 - in reply to #101572)

I would contact Keifer and ask them what they recommend that you do. I'd think they have had this question before.

Bytor62
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-17 12:00 PM (#101581 - in reply to #101572)

New User

The frame is steel angle iron, about 2 1/2" wide by 4" down.  I have tried to contact Kiefer Built by e-mail and phone, but have not received an answer yet.  I have never used a WDH before and assume the forces on the frame are pretty big.  Probably nothing to worry about but wanted to see if others had this same situation and what they did.

Thanks for the input. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)