'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
DIY wood finish

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-09 6:40 PM
20 replies, 6218 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sidelock
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-03-02 8:07 PM (#100494)
Subject: DIY wood finish

Veteran

I  plan to convert my dressing area into a weekender using cottage grade pine tongue and groove panneling for the walls and ceiling. I would like to treat the wood with some kind of  mineral oil or light stain to bring out the grain and give the wood some life and character. What is the prefered finish for this application and do I have to finish the back side of the pannels with the same product or do I just use a common sealer .

Edited by sidelock 2009-03-02 8:09 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-02 8:29 PM (#100497 - in reply to #100494)
Subject: RE: DIY wood finish

Hi,

My husband the hobby woodworker (in the midst of doing our kitchen cabinets (see pics at http://people.colgate.edu/mpoulin/ Look for the links to Peterboro Kitchen Reno) says that it would be best to use a sealer for the back side - like a water-based polyurethane. Front, he suggests a Minwax stain in your shade preference followed by water-based polyurethane.

Our Peterboro kitchen cabinets are maple with no stain, clear finish (sprayed water-based laquer)

Hope that helps!
Mj
sidelock
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-03-02 8:52 PM (#100499 - in reply to #100494)

Veteran

Wonderful ! Thanks for the inspiration.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-02 11:02 PM (#100513 - in reply to #100494)

Expert

I've had good luck with the oil based polyurethanes. They flow out better than the water based urethanes, and when properly thinned, spray out a beautiful even laying coat. If you use a HVLP outfit, the finish can be applied like a mirror.

The disadvantage of the oil base is a longer drying time and the chance for more dust collecting. The advantage is that the finish will dry hard in cool and cold shops, where the water based products are problematic in the cooler temps. After a few days of curing, if necessary, the poly can be sanded and polished with compounds to a perfect finish.

The precatalized lacquers create a beautiful finish, but they have a steep learning curve for the proper application. They are very temperature intolerant, and can end up crazing and fogging if the humidity is off. I would not recommend this finish for a first timer.

Almost any wood sealer or even shellac can be used to seal the reverse side of the wood. Using the same product that is applied the front, is easier and faster to apply, with both sides being done at the same time. This also ensures that the moisture absorption on both sides will be the same.

Gard

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-03 2:42 AM (#100517 - in reply to #100494)

Veteran

I have been wondering something about this also. If I spray or brush the tongue and groove with a couple coats will it still go together okay? It seems to me its already pretty tight when I was testing it. Also, should I use a rented sprayer or just brush it? should I lay it out on plastic in the shop or should I stand it up against the wall while sealing?
Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-03 6:06 AM (#100522 - in reply to #100494)

Veteran

I used stain on my tongue & groove and then I went over it with two coats of Thompson's water sealer and it looks great not that shine that varnish will give you and less work and time, you can put two coats on in one day and they are ready to go, with varnish you have to let it dry and then sand it between coats and you should put at less two to three coats on them and if you use a varnish I would you a oil base one like ClearShield by MimWax with a good quality brush and just make sure you do not get to much on the tongue part and in the groove part or you will have problems putting them together check the link below

Edited by Horsemen 2009-03-03 6:57 AM
Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-03 6:23 AM (#100523 - in reply to #100517)

Veteran

I would brush them, when you spray them you will have a hard time putting them together if you put a lot on them, an less you spray them after they are up and then you would have to cover up everything in your trailer and you will have a real mess on your hands, and don't use an airless I would go with a HVLP gun like Gaud said
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-03 9:19 AM (#100541 - in reply to #100494)

Expert

When I renovated our summer home, I used almost a thousand 8' 1 x 6 tongue and grove #2 eastern white pine boards. By far, the easiest and less messy way to install them, was to have them pre finished and sealed before installation. I set up some saw horses with extensions, layed out the boards face side down,and sprayed the back side first. By the time I finished the third batch, the first had tacked up, and I flipped the boards over and shot the faces.

When these dried, I lightly hit them with 120 grit paper on a random orbital sander. After vacuuming them, and tacking them off, I applied a very wet 2nd coat of oil based polyurethane thinned aprox 30 -40 %. When they dried, I again flipped them and put on a lighter second coat on the back. Two coats resulted in a smooth, completely sealed surface.

Take some scrap pieces, and cut off the tongues.  They make excellent blocks upon which you can strike with a hammer, to set the groves of each successive board, onto the previous tongues. Do not strike the tongue of the board you are trying to install. If it is crushed enough, it will show up in the grove of the finished joint. You will have little difficulty with the groves sliding over the tongues after two coats of finish. Little finish will end up inside the grove of the edges.

Any exposed cut edges can be touched up with finish after all the boards are installed. Spraying the boards on a horizontal plane eliminates runs, and using a "satin" poly finish gives a rich natural sheen, instead of the harsh gloss commonly used. Over time, the pine will darken somewhat to a rich patina, with exposure to the natural light.

The poly is very durable and resistant to water, alcohol and many solvents. It can be touched up if it's mechanically damaged, and recoated whenever you want.

Gard

sidelock
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-03-03 10:31 AM (#100544 - in reply to #100494)

Veteran

Do you thin the oil based poly for all the coats or just for the final coat ? Can i do the same with a brush and a roller ? what do you use to thin it with and do you use 30% - 40% of thinner or poly?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-03 11:25 AM (#100546 - in reply to #100544)

Expert

Originally written by sidelock on 2009-03-03 11:31 AM

Do you thin the oil based poly for all the coats or just for the final coat ? Can i do the same with a brush and a roller ? what do you use to thin it with and do you use 30% - 40% of thinner or poly?

I only spray, and I thin the first coat about 15-20%, the second coat much more 25-40% to get a really smooth final surface. Exactly how much I thin the final coats will depend on the condition of the previous coat (s).

I use acetone for a spraying thinner and clean up, and add one cap full of Japan Dryer per quart. The acetone allows the varnish to smoothly flow out, quickly flash over and dry in cool temps.

If you are going to use a roller, you will need a thinner like a mineral spirits, especially on your first coats. Don't apply it to vertical boards, as you almost assuredly will end up with runs on the subsequent coatings.

Brushing varnish is time consuming and difficult to get a smooth even finish. You have to maintain a wet edge, and if you make a mistake and try to go back and correct it, it will show. Because you have to constantly start and stop the strokes, you will have thin and thick areas. It takes some practice to get a perfectly smooth varnished coating.

An excellent best quality, painter's natural brush is needed, with a thick soft nap and good bristles. A good one is expensive and treat it like gold. If you are going to use the foam brushes, know that they quickly wear out on large projects. They will tear and deposit pieces of foam onto your final finish. Only the best foam brushes should be considered, reject all the cheap plastic handled ones. You want the densest foam available with a rigid, firm tip, not a soft kitchen sponge feeling. I would not recommend a foam brush for this project. It will do poorly on the tongue and slot edge of the wood.

Your roller cover should be a short napped aprox 3/8"-1/2", and also of an excellent quality. Purchase an adjustable frame and cut the standard 7" roller cover in half. You will have more control and less material waste with a narrower cover. I cut mine while they're still packaged on my band saw. It only takes seconds.

Brushing the edges and then rolling the flat surfaces will produce acceptable results. A self contained HVLP sprayer available at most big box stores costs around $150^. It will cut your application time by about 75%. The worse job you do by spraying, will be better than the best application you can do by hand.

Gard

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-03 11:50 AM (#100548 - in reply to #100544)

Expert

Originally written by sidelock on 2009-03-03 11:31 AM
 what do you use to thin it with and do you use 30% - 40% of thinner or poly?

Sorry, I didn't directly answer your question. The thinner is usually the lower number. A poly thinned by 30% would have a mixture of 30% thinner and 70% of poly material.

Gard

sidelock
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-03-03 1:01 PM (#100554 - in reply to #100494)

Veteran

Gard, when you say varnish, are you refering to the oil based polyurathane you mentioned eairlier ?

As you can see, I'm not very well versed with wood finishes and chemicals !

drafthorsejunkie
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-03 1:12 PM (#100555 - in reply to #100494)

I use Tongue Oil on all of my wood finishing. It gives a nice hand rubbed finish. Not too glossy, but gives some gloss. More coats, more gloss. But it keeps the wood very natural looking. I have mostly used it on Hickory and Cherry and it brought out the different colors beautifully and didnt add any fake color. I always sanded between coats for best results.

Good luck

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-03 4:22 PM (#100563 - in reply to #100554)

Expert

Originally written by sidelock on 2009-03-03 2:01 PM

Gard, when you say varnish, are you refering to the oil based polyurathane you mentioned eairlier ?

As you can see, I'm not very well versed with wood finishes and chemicals !

I use Minwax fast dry polyurethane clear satin finish. It has been used in all our furniture and cabinet projects, paneled ceilings, a home's interior walls, a LQ conversion, my daughter's refinished floors and every interior application of varnish that I need. I've used well over 100 gallons to date, and have yet had any difficulties with it. The satin finish gives a new piece of furniture a rich appearance without the harsh glare that a gloss presents.

Gard

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2009-03-04 4:09 PM (#100656 - in reply to #100494)

Extreme Veteran

Pupsnponies - Your kitchen is BEAUTIFUL!! Tell your husband he should do kitchens full-time.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-03-06 5:48 PM (#100817 - in reply to #100494)

Expert

for anyone else reading this... the polyurethanes come in different "finishes"... I've always used the satin as it's much less "shiney".

I also use 000 wire SOS stuff. (i'm totally blank on what the stuff is called!!) between coats... (wire wool?)  and tacky cloths.

and since I'm old school and don't own a sprayer, I always buy the best paint brushes I can. They make a HUGE difference in how paint or poly goes on.

sidelock
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-03-06 5:50 PM (#100818 - in reply to #100494)

Veteran

Gabz, I think the wotd you are looking for is steel wool.
pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-06 7:27 PM (#100826 - in reply to #100656)

Thanks!! I'll tell him.. But he's got other stuff to do (reason why he can't do my horse trailer LQ. LOL). My couch is nearing the top of the "to do" list which was interrupted by the kitchen (after we got the quote on someone else doing those kitchen cabinets... yikes, that was an eye opener) Only downer is that I have to tear him away from his woodworking hobby to go trail riding (getting him away from his shop is not easy)!

Mj
Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-07 5:23 AM (#100842 - in reply to #100817)

Veteran

I'm like you gabz, I to am from the old school I have all ways used a good quality brush and just layed it on with no thinner and it come out great just like it was a spray job, I own a conventional spray setup put the only varnish I spray is a high solid clear urethane put it is to shinny for something for a horse trailer, we used it on boats a lot on the teak wood

Edited by Horsemen 2009-03-07 5:37 AM
pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-07 4:43 PM (#100856 - in reply to #100494)

A couple of notes from Mike.

I recommended a solvent based stain because they do not fade like water based ones. They pop the grain and limits the "fuzzy" raised by the water based finish. Gel stains change the color but don't pop the grain of the wood as much. I recommended a water based finish is that they dry quickly - multiple coats per day - and the lack of solvents means you can use them in an enclosed space. Much easier to use for the beginner. They can be kinda cold with a blue tint - using a stain underneighth helps that somewhat. (It took me a month to build a finish on a kayak using spar varnish which is very UV resistant but dries slowly).

Generally, I either use an oil finish for indoors or spray a water based laquer - I like Hydrocote Resistane for cabinets but you have to spray with an HVLP sprayer as it is thick and dries so quick you cannot brush it well. Not what you would use if you were a novice.

Water based poly's like Minwax brush well and can be used in an enclosed space without too much odor which is pretty nice. If you were attaching the paneling with screws - filling the holes with bungs and top coating, it would work well to sand lightly and recoat the area with the water based poly.

I would generally make sure I put some finish on both sides so there the wood does not curl (warp). One should be able to put finish on before installing tongue and grove paneling. If the tongue swells so it won't go together - hit taper the tongue after finishing with a block plane or some sandpaper. I think this would not be much of a problem with 3/4" stock but I have had it as an issue using 3/8" wainscotting.

Nothing against oil based finishes but they do require more time to dry and they will have much more odor over a longer time period. I am not sure they actually offer much more protection - though they may offer more UV protection if you use spar varnish.

Finally - if you want an really unusual finish - you could try an analine dye - such as Solar-Lux - they have some really interesting colors - green, red, blue, purple, yellowetc. followed by a couple of coats of water based poly. I did that in a previous kitchen project with good results - be sure to wear gloves or you will have color on your hands until the end of riding season.

Mike
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-03-09 6:40 PM (#100980 - in reply to #100818)

Expert

Originally written by sidelock on 2009-03-06 6:50 PM

Gabz, I think the wotd you are looking for is steel wool.

THANKS...   trying to do too many things at once - not enough memory...  

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)