'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse Trax Gel pads, Equi-Build Firm pad, or Equi-Pak Instant Soft Pad

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-06 8:54 AM
7 replies, 6019 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AkTomboysAppys
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2009-02-28 1:56 PM (#100353)
Subject: Horse Trax Gel pads, Equi-Build Firm pad, or Equi-Pak Instant Soft Pad

Regular

So my hubbys 7 y/o QH was confirmed to have navicular last fall. It really stinks he is so young, never had any problems, is perfect for my hubby and its his very first horse, the horse he got just so he could go ride with me when we were dating!

So my question to yall is has anyone tried Horse Trax Gel pads, Equi-Build Firm pad, or Equi-Pak Instant Soft Pad?

If so how well did they hold up? I only have a couple more months of winter and I will be able to add somthing to his bar shoe is he wearing. We are willing to try just about anything at this point we just want him comfy if he goes sound great, if not and he is in lil to no pain perfect!

Also has anyone used those in cold weather? Im guesing the Gel would freeze but I dont know if the other two things would crack or what. Anywhos thanks for any ideas ~ Adrienne

Edited by AkTomboysAppys 2009-02-28 11:25 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-02-28 8:23 PM (#100373 - in reply to #100353)
Subject: RE: Horse Trax Gel pads, Equi-Build Firm sad, or Equi-Pak Instant Soft Pad

Expert

I've only seen two "cures" for this and I'm not saying either is for you:

1.  I've seen young horses retired to pasture and shoes pulled, they are sound but only because they are now pasture art.  (Keeping them from getting fat and thus putting more weight on the foot can hard.)

2.  Nerving the hoof, no feeling no pain.  Downside, the horse can't feel their hoof and can injure themselves but the "fix" is permanent.

Answering your question, every horse is different and it may take some trial and error to find a pad that relieves enough pain to work for your situation.  I've only seen these as temporary fixes, eventually time will catch up with you and then nothing seems to help.

I wish you luck!

Edited by huntseat 2009-02-28 8:27 PM
AkTomboysAppys
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2009-02-28 11:30 PM (#100390 - in reply to #100353)
Subject: Thanks!

Regular

Thanks for the info. He as most of Alaskas horses have had all winter off but with out shoes he limps so bad its not fair to him. The hard frozen ground and cold im sure dont help. We are good about his weight as everyone has to have an eye winter seems to pack it on both my ponies and me lol. Thanks again for the fast reply and great info.

Im really hoping that somone has some info on any of the above stated three. All three of them state that they will help to some point. My farrier is who pointed me in the direction of them, but he has never used any of them.

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-03-01 9:33 AM (#100397 - in reply to #100353)
Subject: RE: Horse Trax Gel pads, Equi-Build Firm pad, or Equi-Pak Instant Soft Pad

Veteran

www.hoofrehab.com

Check this website out. Our navicular mare has come leaps and bounds with this trimming. We have boots that we are currently riding her on the trails with and she is sound in a soft arena. We have taken the weight off her as well. She is doing better now than she has been in several years. She is in the process of growing out a whole new hoof!!!

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-01 8:05 PM (#100430 - in reply to #100353)
Subject: RE: Horse Trax Gel pads, Equi-Build Firm pad, or Equi-Pak Instant Soft Pad

Expert

Take off the bar shoe, keep an elevated heel with Equipak soft pad with PLR shoes from www.hopeforsoundness.com and insure breakover in all directions.  This could be quite helpful...try to avoid contracture of the heels/hence the Equipak..

(Experience over many cases over the years) Good luck with him, such a shame.

AkTomboysAppys
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2009-03-02 12:13 AM (#100445 - in reply to #100353)
Subject: Many thanks!

Regular

I want to thank everyone again for all the info. I along with my husband are so touched of all the help. I will be showing all the links to our farrier and hope we can get him feeling good again. Really I thank you all for your help. Adrienne
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-03-02 10:47 AM (#100461 - in reply to #100353)

Extreme Veteran

We've had good luck with horses with laminitis by putting Equi-flex shoes with Equi-Build fast set pad in them (I think it's firm). The shoes provide support but still allow some flexing unlike steel shoes. Don't know if that will be of any help to you but I hope so.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-03-06 8:54 AM (#100775 - in reply to #100353)

Elite Veteran

look on thehorse.com and myhorse.com.. they both have a lot of informative articles on pretty much whatever ails you and there are many articles on navicular disease and other lamness issues.. i read something a week or two past about trimming to (eventually) rehab the hoof .. try it, you might find something usefull in there
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)