'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
I know where I stand! Or lay......

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-09 9:46 PM
33 replies, 7325 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-02-27 5:10 PM (#100314 - in reply to #100306)
Subject: RE: I know where I stand! Or lay......

Expert

Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-03-06 8:47 AM (#100774 - in reply to #99918)

Elite Veteran

My rocky mare is the best thing in the world on a trail.. will go up, down, over, or thru ANYTHING.. even took a "goat trail" I pointed her at last fall..Cheerfully, with her ears up and interested.. But in an ARENA.. it's a different story.. she spooks at the rail, she spooks at the gate, she blows at the cone, or the barrel, or whatever..she can't lope in a circle , she doesn't really lope too well, actually, seems to forget where her legs are supposed to go in mid stride..(except she does just fine on her own in the field, or when she's spooked and hauling a$$ away from the area....hmmm).  She moves off of my leg pretty good if we are going around a rock or something that makes sense to her, but if you ask her to do a bunch of maneuvers in the arena.. it's like you are talking swahili.. We do have a round pen and I think I'll ride her exclusively in the round pen for a while so that she can quit being distracted and listen to me..
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-03-06 9:44 AM (#100778 - in reply to #100774)

Expert

Be careful.  The first time I took my mare OUT of the arena I ponied her and she kept jumping and trying to bite my old mare.  She was extremely nervous. 

My shoulder doesn't hurt as much and I can type 2 handed for a few minutes at a time without my shoulder getting sore, but I'm not sure it's healing right.  I can still feel the bone move and I don't see how it will heal with that center piece not being lined  up with the end pieces....  Maybe that's whats moving.  I go back in for more x-rays next week.

I managed to buckle my own seatbelt yesterday and can change my shirts with out help now!  Such simple things, I've been so fusterated!  I'm only supposed to lift a few pounds so all I can really pick up are my baby chicks.  Ah well.  At least they are entertaining.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-03-06 2:50 PM (#100804 - in reply to #99918)

Elite Veteran

If that middle piece is moving, you will possibly (probably?) need a pin in it.. It depends.. If you have an old-school doc he may not worry about it as long as the bone ends form a callus and knit.

My rocky usually does OK.. She just (apparently) has a trainload of mental baggage.. It took her two years to settle down and adjust to being bought and sold and moved to a new part of the country... I'd LOVE to find someone who could truly talk to horses and find out what is actually going on in that head of hers.  Actually, I might be scared to find out..

She also is confused as to just exactly WHO is the boss in our relationship.. sometimes she acknowledges that it is me, then something catches her attention and she steps on my feet as she turns to study it more closely.. She sure isn't careful about a person's space.. She isn't nastily disrespectful, she just kinda forgets you are there... like a bug on a wall  When I do the Lyons/Parelli moving away from pressure while on a lead rope she does ok because she has to, but sometimes she'll even stiffen up and refuse nicely to budge when I ask her to move over while being groomed in crossties in the barn so that I cant pick her feet or brush that flank or whatever.( we have tack boxes lining the walls in our barn isle, and a horse standing caddy corner sideways will take up most of the room so that you have to push them over to get by).She does this all the while pretending like she isn't doing anything (La-ti-dah.. I'm just minding my own business..)and she can't figure out why I finally pop her butt and holler at her to MOVE!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-03-07 8:01 PM (#100861 - in reply to #100804)

Expert

I go back for more x-rays on the 30th.  The Doc wants to see what it does on it's own.  He doesn't want to do sugury unless it's causing problems.  My shoulder has a numb spot, not dead numb, but like it's asleep.  Doc thinks its because of the swelling and so I have to take 800mg of Motrin 3 times a day, which I've found does nothing for sinus headaches.  The swelling is down, and I have a lovely bump where one of the breaks are, but the numbness is still there. So well see st the end of the month I guess. 

This mare has never bucked with me before but my husband said she has bucked with him a few times when he has tried to get her to faster than a slow lope.  I talked to the lady I bought her from (breeds/trains show horses)  and she said it shouldn't have been unexpected since she was trained for western pleasure.  She was taught that slow lope and was never allowed to go faster and was probally getting fusterated by being asked to do what she was taught not to do. 

Last time I buy a show horse, give me a good ranch/trail horse anytime.

Edited by Terri 2009-03-07 8:04 PM
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-03-08 12:03 PM (#100875 - in reply to #100861)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Terri on 2009-03-07 8:01 PM

I go back for more x-rays on the 30th.  The Doc wants to see what it does on it's own.  He doesn't want to do sugury unless it's causing problems.  My shoulder has a numb spot, not dead numb, but like it's asleep.  Doc thinks its because of the swelling and so I have to take 800mg of Motrin 3 times a day, which I've found does nothing for sinus headaches.  The swelling is down, and I have a lovely bump where one of the breaks are, but the numbness is still there. So well see st the end of the month I guess. 

This mare has never bucked with me before but my husband said she has bucked with him a few times when he has tried to get her to faster than a slow lope.  I talked to the lady I bought her from (breeds/trains show horses)  and she said it shouldn't have been unexpected since she was trained for western pleasure.  She was taught that slow lope and was never allowed to go faster and was probally getting fusterated by being asked to do what she was taught not to do. 

Last time I buy a show horse, give me a good ranch/trail horse anytime.

It just makes my blood boil to see what is winning in the show ring as relates to "western pleasure" competition. These horses are traind to work at gaits which are not true gaits at all. They drag their feet, they carry their heads down at their knees, making it impossible for them to work off of their hindquarters, therefore no impulsion, no balance, no pleasure. Riding these horses is as far from a pleasurable experience as I can imagine. Yet this is what is encouraged by the judges who place these animals in the winner's circle. Disgusting!

Marla

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-03-08 1:00 PM (#100883 - in reply to #100875)

Expert

It just makes my blood boil to see what is winning in the show ring as relates to "western pleasure" competition. These horses are traind to work at gaits which are not true gaits at all. They drag their feet, they carry their heads down at their knees, making it impossible for them to work off of their hindquarters, therefore no impulsion, no balance, no pleasure. Riding these horses is as far from a pleasurable experience as I can imagine. Yet this is what is encouraged by the judges who place these animals in the winner's circle. Disgusting!

Marla

Her gates aren't what I would consider unnatural, that may be why she was sold.  Her dam and sire have placed in the top 5 at worlds in WP and halter (more than once I think) and she was being trained to "follow" them.  I've been able to get her to relax and stretch out at a walk and trot but she refuses to gallop.   She also doesn't carry her head at her knees.  Under saddle she carries it the same as she does in pasture, her poll is a bit higher than her back, unless she gets excited then its in the clouds.  Of course that headset made it hard to tell she was gonna kick up her heels, she didn't have to duck her head.

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-03-09 8:54 PM (#100995 - in reply to #100883)

Extreme Veteran

Terri,
Didn't mean to denigrate your horse. Just my beef with western pleasure in general. I watched the pleasure finals in OKC last year and was sorely dissapointed. Give me a good ranch horse, hunter, three day eventer any day.
Hope those bones are knitting well so you can get back to riding as the weather warms up.

Marla
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-03-09 9:46 PM (#101000 - in reply to #100995)

Expert

I know what you meant.  I don't like watching WP shows.

I'll find out on the 30th how the bones are healing.  I went to the Dr this morning because I've been running a fever all weekend and my throat was killing me.  Now I have a hurt shoulder and strep throat!!  My Dr. seems to think that my shoulder hurts more than it does.  She asked if I needed a refill on my vicodin.  I haven't even finished the first prescription yet.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)