'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
look at this trailer and tell me what you think.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-23 5:31 PM
21 replies, 11308 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-16 5:23 PM (#94972)
Subject: look at this trailer and tell me what you think.

Elite Veteran

Hi all,

I asked for an opinion about this trailer for sale, but as an aside to another post subject.. I'm considering buying this instead of custom building a 2 horse 4 star..

PLEASE!!!!! Take a look and tell me what you think..

P.S.  I'm trying to post pictures, but I can't figure it out.. I have some more better ones from my inquiry.. HELP!! I've tried dragging and dropping and cutting and pasting.. The insert feature on here goes to a URL that I can't figure out what to do with..  http://www.usedtrailers.com/cgi-bin/ut.cgi?v1=evaproduct.cgi&acct_id=5035&last=20&dealerid=5035&inv_id=42188&sellerlocation=all http://www.usedtrailers.com/ ID 42188

GOT IT FIGURED OUT!!!!!!!

Gold Medal Trailers

P.0. Box 594 - Merrill, WI 54452 - 800 413-5639

2005 Kiefer Built Alum. Bumper Horse

VIN: 5K048181

REF: 011GM0373

2005 Kiefer Built Alum. Bumper Horse 2005 Kiefer Built Alum. Bumper Horse
2005 Kiefer Built Alum. Bumper Horse
2005 Kiefer Built Alum. Bumper Horse $11,995.00
VIN: 5K048181

This trailer includes:  7-way plug, 2 5/16" coupler, top crank jack, escape door with grab handle, 3 drop down windows with drop down bars, 15" wheels, 9 outside ties on each side, load light on front, load light on each side, collapsible rear tack, removable 3-tier saddle rack, 2nd spot for saddle rack in dressing room, 4 bridle hooks, 2 dome lights in horse area, dome light in rear tack, all aluminum, rubber mats on floor, rubber lined walls, padded slants, slam latch dividers, 6 inside ties (2 per stall), rings for feed bags, 3 aluminum 2-way pop-up roof vents over each stall, walk through door, camper door with screen, grab handle to dressing room, roof vent in dressing room, 2 spare tires with carriers, v-nose, gravel guard on nose, grab handles on bot rear doors, rubber bumper, rubber full depth divider on each divider, window in dressing room, electric brakes, and tandem 3.5k axles.  Approximate size is 7x18x7.

Trailer Type(s):
- Horse
Hitch Type(s):
- Bumper Pull
Transport Load(s):
- 3 Horse

Edited by ridingarocky 2008-11-16 5:39 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-16 6:46 PM (#94973 - in reply to #94972)
Subject: RE: look at this trailer and tell me what you think.

Expert

Looks like a nice trailer. If you're going to be hauling one or two horses, it should be fine. If you're going to consistently haul three, the tires and axles are going to be maxed out, and you may run into tire reliability problems.

Gard

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-11-16 8:15 PM (#94979 - in reply to #94972)

Expert

Being how the trailer is advertised on another site, I would ask the people on that site what they think about it.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-11-16 10:41 PM (#94983 - in reply to #94972)

Expert

trailer looks good if it is in your price range go for it, check the age of the tires 
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-11-17 7:04 AM (#94989 - in reply to #94972)

Extreme Veteran

I have a 3H BP Exiss Event that I bought used this year; it is also a 2005.  Mine is more of a stock type without the drop windows.  We love this trailer.  I pull it at least 2-3 times a week.  It pulls great and my kids have a large tack room to keep all of their tack for 4-H.  When we bought ours we really checked the tires, brakes and the plug.  We had a little trouble with the plug and brakes since the trailer had not been used it a while.  Overall I was very happy buying one of the used aluminum BP.  We saved quite a few thousand $$ over buying a new one.  All of our horses load well in it; pulls great and fits well in most trailheads.  If you like it and it is within your budget you could save a good bit of $$. Custom trailers get pretty pricey.  Good luck with your purchase. 
sidelock
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-17 8:03 AM (#94990 - in reply to #94973)

Veteran

Hey Gard, I have a 26' 3 horse gooseneck and it came with 2 , 5200 lbs axles and 225 R 15 tires & 6 bolt wheels . According to the manufacture the empty trailer weighs 2400KG. Should I also be concerned about being maxed out with three horses and will this translate to safety issues , or is there a difference between bumper pull and gooseneck ? If it is an issue , why do the manufactures produce them as such ?

Edited by sidelock 2008-11-17 9:17 AM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-11-17 8:45 AM (#94991 - in reply to #94972)

Expert

So what do you want and need in a trailer?
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-11-17 9:00 AM (#94992 - in reply to #94972)

Elite Veteran

For what it is worth, a Kiefer Built Genesis X-3 "pull type" as they call it will have 5,200# axles ( 6 bolt) & ST225/75R15 Load Range "D" tires from the factory standard. Not what is listed on the ad. This setup is current, and has been that way for several years. Based on the great number of tie rings mounted on the outside, this unit has been customized for someone's specific use, just make sure those mods suit your uses also. In general the X-3 is a great trailer with many satisfied owners.
RTSmith
www.SelectTrailer.com
A Kiefer Built dealer
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-17 9:52 AM (#94995 - in reply to #94990)

Expert

Originally written by sidelock on 2008-11-17 9:03 AM

Hey Gard, I have a 26' 3 horse gooseneck and it came with 2 , 5200 lbs axles and 15" R225 tires. According to the manufacture the empty trailer weighs 2400KG. Should I be also concerned about being maxed out with three horses and will this translate to safety issues , or is there a difference between bumper pull and gooseneck ? If it is an issue , why do the manufactures produce them as such ?

To find out how closely your trailer will running at its maximum rated capacity is fairly simple. In the instance of the Kieffer 3 horse BP, it had two axles of 3500# rating, for 7000# total. Aprox 10% of its weight will be on the hitch, so 700# can be added to the total over all trailer capacity, or 7700# maximum. Three average horses weigh aprox 3000#, so you have 4700# left for your tack and the trailer. I would think the trailer weighs at least 3500# - 4000#.

A gooseneck's capacity is found the same way. You have two axles rated at 5200# or 10400# for total capacity. A GN is usually rated at a hitch weight of aprox 25%, so the total weight capacity of the trailer would approach  13000#.

In each situation, to be able to use these capacities, the tires would have to be at least equal to the axle ratings.

There are reliability problems, and increased maintenance, whenever a product is used at its maximum capacity. It will wear faster than a product used at a fraction of its capacity. As a result, it will not be as reliable, and there will be no reserve capacity if an incident occurs. If you have a 10k load on a 10k trailer and the wheel falls into a pot hole or off the edge of the pavement, the tire may blow, the wheel may bend, the axle and wheel bearings may be damaged. If you had the same load on a trailer rated at 15k, you may continue down the road with no problems.

It's better to buy more capacity than you need, rather than hope you have enough to do the job. Purchase the optional axles, the best tires you can afford, and the best lubricants that are available. It will cost more in the beginning, but it will save you money and heartaches in the long run.

Manufactures build trailers using minimal components to improve their profit margins. The less expensive the parts, the more money they make.

Most people purchase trailers based on their cost, interiors and looks; very few research their construction and capacities. Lightly constructed trailers are often sold because they meet these initial requirements. Most owners will use them occasionally and not for day to day usage in a business. These owners generally will be pleased. The same trailer used by a professional will quickly wear out and fail, and greatly disappoint the owner. Just as there are consumer and "professional" grade products, there are different qualities of trailers. Unfortunately, there are no ratings of these trailers, only word of mouth by the various owners.

Gard

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-17 3:07 PM (#95005 - in reply to #94972)

Elite Veteran

Thank you all for your opinions.... I appreciate it .....HWbar, I am looking HARD for a used trailer that will suit my needs so as to save me from paying out quite a few K more on a new 2-horse that I am customizing and haven't yet ordered... If I can find one that I like with a significantly smaller price tag than my new one, I will look and/or buy it from whatever trailer-for-sale website I can wrap my keyboard around... It is foolish to pay more for something if you don't have to.. As for my blogging the other site... I don't blog anywhere else and I've read enough postings on this one to have an idea of the smarts of the people who post here regularly.

Tom-Tom, Thank you for your offer.. I am looking for an enclosed trailer with drop windows (preferable head AND hip), a rear collapsible tack, an escape door, and a  good sized dressing room to use as a very small sleeper. The walk-thru from DR to 1st stall on the that model I wanted the opinion on was a plus... I want either a 2 horse or 3, although 3 horse is pushing it as far as weight is concerned with my present vehicle. I have only 2 small horses(ponies, really) and hopefully sometime soon only one.. I will eventually upgrade to more pulling power at some point in the (Near? not-so-far? a couple of years, maybe?) future. Since Camping with my horses is the only fun thing I get to do, I am trying to find a trailer that will fit my current and future needs without breaking the bank... i do not really want a LQ.. I am the only one who likes to do this, and a LQ would require too much $$ and change in my present situation...

As I said, I have been talking to a dealer and have got the wants and needs figured out about custom ordering a trailer, which would be GREAT!, but the price tag is getting steeper, and I thought if I could find a similarly suitable trailer used a couple of years old, I could save some $$$$$

AGAIN, thanks to all for your opinions..

sidelock
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-17 4:04 PM (#95008 - in reply to #94995)

Veteran

Thanks for clarifying that Gard. The description of the trailer posted above listed 3.5K tandem axles . My understanding of that was 3500 kilograms per axle not 3500 pounds per axle.

I guess I'm OK since mine is rated for approximately 13000lbs. and the avarage weight of three horses is 3000 lbs. + approx. 5200 lbs for the weight of the trailer = 8200 lbs.

Edited by sidelock 2008-11-17 4:07 PM
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-17 6:10 PM (#95011 - in reply to #94992)

Elite Veteran

Thanks RTS, That is useable information.. You're saying that the axle capacity (?) is less than what is now standard?
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-11-17 6:17 PM (#95012 - in reply to #95011)

Expert

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2008-11-17 6:10 PM

Thanks RTS, That is useable information.. You're saying that the axle capacity (?) is less than what is now standard?

I suspect he is saying call and confirm the axle ratings.  I too, would be a little concerned about 3.5k axles on a 3H.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-17 7:56 PM (#95024 - in reply to #94972)

Expert

If the axle ratings were in kilograms instead of pounds, his capacity would far exceed my original figures. If it were listed in the metric system, one kilo equals 2.2 lbs, so he would have 15,400# in axle ratings. That seems less likely in that trailer, than the original situation.

Gard

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-11-18 6:50 AM (#95038 - in reply to #95005)

Expert

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2008-11-17 3:07 PM

.....HWbar, I am looking HARD for a used trailer that will suit my needs so as to save me from paying out quite a few K more on a new 2-horse that I am customizing and haven't yet ordered... If I can find one that I like with a significantly smaller price tag than my new one, I will look and/or buy it from whatever trailer-for-sale website I can wrap my keyboard around... It is foolish to pay more for something if you don't have to..

I'm just thinking that posting the complete ad on another persons website wasn't so cool, I quess you think differently.

Especially since the same trailer is advertised on this site.

http://horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=179109

Edited by HWBar 2008-11-18 6:54 AM
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-11-18 7:06 AM (#95041 - in reply to #94972)

Extreme Veteran

I think this one has been on here for a while too.  I believe we saw it when we were hunting our BP a couple of months ago.  I love my 3H Event BP and don't intend on selling this trailer for a long time.  It suits our needs great and kids and horses seem to like it.  Remember - find what fits your situation best.  New or used.  If you are going to be camping out of it then amenities will be a huge assett for you.  One thing mine came with that is nice; the previous owner had put foam insulation in the tack room walls.  Makes it much nicer as a place to be in the cold weather.  That would be something to really consider if you are planning on sleeping in it also.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-18 9:31 AM (#95051 - in reply to #94972)

Expert

I want either a 2 horse or 3, although 3 horse is pushing it as far as weight is concerned with my present vehicle. I have only 2 small horses(ponies, really) and hopefully sometime soon only one.. I will eventually upgrade to more pulling power at some point in the (Near? not-so-far? a couple of years, maybe?) future. i do not really want a LQ.. I am the only one who likes to do this, and a LQ would require too much $$ and change in my present situation...  and I thought if I could find a similarly suitable trailer used a couple of years old, I could save some $$$$$

Most 3 horse trailers are only a few hundred pounds heavier than the two horse trailers. Because you can balance out the loads, the actual tongue weights can actually be less than the loaded two horse trailers. The third stall is very convenient when you want to haul bulky items; IE hay etc.

Pulling a three horse trailer is little different than the two horse, as the wheel bases are often similar. The fuel mileage isn't much different, and the stability is excellent. There are many used 3h BP trailers available, and they hold their resale values quite well. We usually only haul two horses, but with our last three trailers, we have only purchased 3 horse variants. The extra capacity and space are most appreciated.

A good used trailer is an excellent value. By not purchasing a LQ, there are few mechanical problems that will develop during your ownership. If it is in good shape at the time of your purchase and properly maintained, it should stay viable for many years.

Gard

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-19 1:50 PM (#95109 - in reply to #94972)

Elite Veteran

Thanks again, everyone..

Tom-Tom, i think i must've misread your blog.. I was thinking that you had one FOR SALE.. sorry, for my mistake...

HWbar, i guess in hindsight posting from another website isn't too cool.I didn't even think of it in that manner.. I was just trying to put the trailer in my blog the best way I could. I didn't see the ad on this site and I was focused on an opinion of the trailer, nothing else.. sorry if i stepped on anyone's toes..

Gard, thank you for your info as well, I've been kinda wanting a 3 horse, just for the reasons you described, but thought that i might be getting into "princess mode" and wanting more than i needed...I am excited at building a new trailer, but I keep seeing 3 horse trailers (albeit at a distant location) that would suit my needs very well without the big brand-new pricetag.. My husband is concerned with buying used and not having the warranty.. He says buy used and you usually buy someone else's problem..

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-11-20 9:50 AM (#95129 - in reply to #94972)

Extreme Veteran

You many get someone else's problem, but you can tell if a trailer has been used a lot or abused.  The horse compartment will tell you alot about it's history.  Look at the walls, mats; If there are dings in them or wear spots then you know it was used a lot.  I purchased mine from an individual, not a dealer.  I was told that the trailer had only been pulled 2-3 times in two years.  The first thing to ask was about the tires and brakes since it had been sitting.  When we went of pick it up you could tell that the horse area showed very little wear.  Once he checked the tires, brakes and trailer plug we felt really good about buying used.  We have also purchaes a used Sundowner LQ before from a dealer and we were able to transfer the remaining warranty into our name for a small fee.  That might be something to check on if you buy used from a reputable manufacturer that offers a 6-8 yr warranty.  As far a a 3H over a 2H BP I would definately go with the 3H.  I know we camp with a lot of folks that use their 1st stall for storage and then carry horses in the other stalls.  I would think you could do the same thing with a BP trailer.  Store things in the first compartment and haul horses in 2 & 3.  Good luck with your purchase.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-20 2:46 PM (#95149 - in reply to #94972)

Elite Veteran

thanks... That was what I was thinking also.. If I get a 2 horse, Even tho I only need 2 (maybe 1) horse stall for horses, I thought the 1st stall could be for storage.. That is why I want an escape door first stall, so that it's easy in, easy out....I had been looking to build a 2 horse SL BP because I had read on an earlier, similar thread that 3 horse BPs are subject to unloading the hitch if you don't put a horse in stall 1, and that my SUV would not be able to handle stopping the extra length of the 3H trailer.   However, I am in the market for a long-term trailer purchase, and my vehicle situation would be sooner subject to change.  It is very difficult to find a used 2 horse SL BP  with the features that I want..It is much easier to find the same in a 3 H SL BP.     I am not worried about overloading my car because, I can get a WDH, if needed, and my small mare and my daughter's pony together are less than 1500lbs.. Even with hay and water, I'd be less than 2000lbs loaded (not including the trailer weight itself).   The furthest I haul (at this point) is a couple of hundred miles away (albeit hilly miles) and i do this infrequently, due to work and time constraints.. Last time I went by myself.. so the trailer I wanted every one to look at would not have been used hard.. However, I don't know what I'll be doing in 10 years, and i want something quality and tough enough to take it if I get a wild hair and decide to travel across country.

Edited by ridingarocky 2008-11-22 8:12 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-20 3:50 PM (#95151 - in reply to #95149)

Expert

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2008-11-20 3:46 PM

I thought the 1st stall could be for storage.. That is why I want an escape door first stall, so that it's easy in, easy out....I had been looking to build a 2 horse SL BP because I had read on an earlier, similar thread that 3 horse BPs are subject to unloading the hitch if you don't put a horse in stall 1, and that my SUV would not be able to handle stopping the extra length of the 3H trailer.     I am not worried about overloading my car because, I can get a WDH, if needed, and my small mare and my daughter's pony together are less than 1500lbs.. Even with hay and water, I'd be less than 2000lbs loaded.   .

You can load a three horse trailer several ways depending on how many horses you are carrying. By balancing the loads which you can't do in a two horse, the tongue weights are reduced and you will probably not need a WDH.

You can load a single horse into the center stall and use the other two for storage. In this situation, the rear storage materials should not exceed the weights of those in the forward stall. You cannot carry two horses' loaded into the middle and back stalls, unless the weight of the stored materials in the front, are at least as heavy as the horse in the back stall. With two horses, a favourable loading would include a horse in the front and rear stall.

A full sized SUV will pull most three horse BP trailers. Our Expedition had a towing capacity of 7k# the newer ones have more. The trailer brakes will stop the trailer, the short extra length of the 3H trailer will not be noticeable in braking. In a year and a half, we towed many thousands of miles and never needed a WDH. Our trailer weighed around 3300#, and only occasionally did we haul three horses at a time.

When we later bought a new truck and a GN trailer, we kept the BP for short trips. It was lighter and more convenient to haul when we didn't need the LQ.

Gard

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-11-23 5:31 PM (#95267 - in reply to #94972)

Veteran

ridingarocky, I will someday be accused of being a broken record - but...Have you considered a Titan Avalanche II or III?

I didn't read all the posts, but I read yours stating what you wanted. Titan will "build to suit." The base price is around $6500 $7K or it least it was 2 years ago. Then you can add what you want... escape door, collapsible back tack, drop down windows, bus windows, - door between tack and horse area....

I got everything you listed with the exception of the bus windows on the butt side (I chose stock slats) and the walk-through from the tack area to the horse area. Mine cost just over $8K delivered.It's steel (galvaneal on the sheet metal parts), it's heavy (3500# empty) - but it hauls nice and I love it.

And my daughter and I slept comfortably on the floor in the tack room on an overnight trip.

The major complaint I have is that the door hold back for the tack room and the escape door don't function well, and the valve stems on all the tires, including the spare, dry rotted within 18 mos and needed to be replaced. Other than that, I am very happy with my trailer.

Edited by barstow 2008-11-23 5:33 PM

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)