'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
horses with pneumonia

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-15 1:18 PM
1 replies, 2949 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-11-15 5:56 AM (#94923)
Subject: horses with pneumonia

Veteran

My first horse was diagnosed with pneomonia by the vet last Sunday. Three days later another horse was exhibiting symptoms, had the vet out, and number two has pneumonia. These horses are both 19 years old, and I have owned them for most of their lives. No previous health issues except for a colic once or twice over the years. I asked the vet if he had any ideas why they became sick. He said not sure, but age, depressed immune system, changes of weather in fall could all contribute.The vet said the other 2 may contract it also. I am hoping their ages (7&8) work in their favor for NOT contracting it. The vet said I may have to start "babying" the 19 year olds. I did not at the time asked what that means. I will make a follow up call to get an explanation. My question is I do not know how to improve my management practices. They are out 24/7 with three run in sheds available. They are only in the stable for very inclement weather (sleet, cold rain, high wind). The vet said he only wanted them in the stable under those conditions, that being out was more healthy. They are on a regular deworming program, get free choice top quality brome grass/timothy hay, and a little grain (quart a day) of a 50% steamed crimped oats/50% 12% sweet feed. The one 19 year old is top dog in the herd, the other number 3. My only thoughts for improvement would be to start them on a senior feed. They have great body condition (probably a 7.5 on the Heinke scale). I am very reluctant to start the blanketing routine. My only other thought was to start some sort of supplements. Ideas? Interestingly, these two are ill several weeks after my 7 year old spent 3 days in a horse hospital with a fever of "unknown origin."

Thanks!

Brenda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkersandweims
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-11-15 1:18 PM (#94938 - in reply to #94923)
Subject: RE: horses with pneumonia

Maybe  you Vet means to not letting  Your Older fellas "stick it out"  as the younger ones ?     I have had to keep closer management on my older guy and   that means I am making sure he stays dryer in the colder/wet weather .    My Younger ones seem to manage just fine .   I don,t care for blanketing either, but My  guy can,t seem to tolerate when the temps drops below  30.  I pretty much let him be  , but will throw a light blanket on him when the temps dip below His tolerance level . and will give him free roam of the barn when the others  can  handle  being turned out in those "questionable " weather days.  My older guy  like to feel special and get to  stay in the barn by himself and roam around and  snoop eat lots of extra hay .      Maybe  making sure your guy stays dry and  warm more often and teeth done more often,  special feed , a little extra ME time, worming more often  ??????   just a guess here

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)