'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Leaving trailer hitched to truck?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-24 12:44 PM
17 replies, 16150 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-21 8:32 PM (#93379)
Subject: Leaving trailer hitched to truck?

Regular

I heard something new (to me) today ... that it is bad for the truck to park it with the trailer hitched to it all the time. Bad for the tires and the suspension I believe was the reason given. Is this true, or an old wives' tale, or something in between? And if it's even partly true, does it matter if the the trailer is a BP or GN? Most people I know who have the space to park truck and trailer hitched together do just that, unless the truck is also the daily driver vehicle. I currently do not have room to park the whole rig all hitched up, but if I did have the space my inclination would be to keep the rig more or less ready to go.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Saddlebredlover
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-10-21 8:41 PM (#93381 - in reply to #93379)
Subject: RE: Leaving trailer hitched to truck?

Regular

I've heard that same thing and try very hard to never keep mine hooked up for longer than a few days. We seldom use our truck unless it's hauling, so I typically crank the trailer off the ball and leave it ready to drop down again when needed. I'm also interested to hear if this is really true..that the suspension is damaged if left the trailer is left on the truck. It definitely stands to reason, since my truck's suspension is definitely stained (meaning it's dropped down in back) when the trailer is fully on the ball. Natalee
FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-21 8:52 PM (#93383 - in reply to #93381)

Regular

I actually found a way to search this subject that generated one previous thread on topic:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=948...

Seems there is some evidence that taking the weight off the truck is a good idea, and of course the practice couldn't hurt ... unless you forget it's not fully hitched and try to drive off that way! But most people's "pre-flight" check would cover that eventuality. (I hope. ;))

I'm not sure that the caution need be quite as strong as, "NEVER leave your trailer hitched up to your truck" though. I figure it would take a little while before parking the rig fully hitched up would have a detrimental effect on the truck. ?
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-10-21 9:23 PM (#93384 - in reply to #93379)

Expert

My post from the above mentioned thread.

Originally written by chadsalt on 2008-05-22 1:45 PM

I never have. I can count on one hand the number of times this Dmax has been (or will be) unhooked from some sort of trailer in the 3 years Ive owned it. Of course it wont hurt anything to unhook, just dont do it half assed......forget to check, then tear something up.

My understand of springs is; Its not the weight that will cause the springs to 'sag' when unloaded, it is the duty cycles (i.e. compression and release) or in other words miles of travel, loaded or otherwise. Granted a heavy loaded truck may start to sag sooner than a light loaded one, but I doubt just sitting there loaded will have much to do with the life span of the springs.

Really shouldnt make a difference, but if you do want to take the load off..........take it off.  None of this half ass winding the landing gear down, unhook the trailer just like you were leaving it.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-21 9:28 PM (#93385 - in reply to #93379)

Expert

The only downside to using the jack to take weight off the tow vehicle is forgetting the jack is down.

From the Yokohama web site.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/tsb-112102.pdf

..."Long term storage, or storage of seasonal vehicles; i.e. RV's, boat trailers and show cars requires special preparations. Vehicles should be raised on blocks, so weight is removed from the tires..."

So taking the weight off your trucks tires is recommended by Yokohama.  I've read somewhere else the reasoning to prevent setting flat spots in the tire carcass and the bulge at the ground.  The bulge is prone to surface cracking.

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-10-22 2:08 AM (#93393 - in reply to #93379)

Veteran

Very basically what keeps your tow vehicle off the ground is springs (or metal that has been bent by the weight loaded onto it and is trying to get back to its origional unstressed position) so it goes without saying that it is not good to keep bending the metal (in this case your springs) if you left your trailer hitched indefinately your springs would be under constant pressure and eventually sag. (abeit it would take some time) You can see evidence of this in that most older trucks that have done a lot of towing in their lives seem to be down at the back even when not loaded.

I would recomend that you never leave your trailer hitched (with weight on the ball) for extended periods...it will assist in making your springs last longer.

If I leave my trailer hitched, I always take the weight off with the jack - but always leave my tailgate open (just as a reminder - and if I do forget at least I will not take my tailgate off if I pulled away)

Cheers for now

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-10-22 3:11 AM (#93395 - in reply to #93379)

Expert

I still jack mine up off the truck if it's going to sitting a week or so, note still in the seat saying gear is down..... Probably wouldn't do it if the trailer didn't have a hydraulic landing gear, LOL!! Old habits are hard to break!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-10-22 8:39 AM (#93404 - in reply to #93379)

Expert

I had a 76 Ford truck equipped with OEM bias ply M & S tires. In cold weather, it could not sit more than two days without flat spotting the tires. It took several miles of a rough ride to smooth things out.

I and many owners of classic/antique automobiles that have them retrofitted with radial tires, yearly store them for extended periods with out jacking or taking "special precautions". In addition, I have two horse trailers, three boat trailers and two utility trailers. With few exceptions, these too, are not utilized for almost half of each year. These are also not jacked or treated in any special way.

The sole maintenance of these tires is to monitor the air pressure every month or so to keep it at a working pressure. The automobiles are stored indoors, the trailers outside. The tires are all radials of several brands and ratings including passenger, trailer and light truck duty services.

While using radial tires, I have never had a flat spot issue, that resulted in any failure, abnormal wear or premature service life, attributal to long term storage. If the tires are kept properly inflated during storage, they remain serviceable for many years. However, if the tire is allowed to go flat and the vehicle weight is pressed on the folded sidewalls, it can be irrevocably damaged.

If Yokohama tires have to be treated specially when stored, it should be a brand to avoid. There are many brands of radial tires that provide excellent and reliable service, with a minimal amount of maintenance, currently available to the public.

Gard

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-10-22 11:34 AM (#93414 - in reply to #93404)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2008-10-22 8:39 AM

I had a 76 Ford truck equipped with OEM bias ply M & S tires. In cold weather, it could not sit more than two days without flat spotting the tires. It took several miles of a rough ride to smooth things out.

I and many owners of classic/antique automobiles that have them retrofitted with radial tires, yearly store them for extended periods with out jacking or taking "special precautions". In addition, I have two horse trailers, three boat trailers and two utility trailers. With few exceptions, these too, are not utilized for almost half of each year. These are also not jacked or treated in any special way.

The sole maintenance of these tires is to monitor the air pressure every month or so to keep it at a working pressure. The automobiles are stored indoors, the trailers outside. The tires are all radials of several brands and ratings including passenger, trailer and light truck duty services.

While using radial tires, I have never had a flat spot issue, that resulted in any failure, abnormal wear or premature service life, attributal to long term storage. If the tires are kept properly inflated during storage, they remain serviceable for many years. However, if the tire is allowed to go flat and the vehicle weight is pressed on the folded sidewalls, it can be irrevocably damaged.

If Yokohama tires have to be treated specially when stored, it should be a brand to avoid. There are many brands of radial tires that provide excellent and reliable service, with a minimal amount of maintenance, currently available to the public.

Gard

Hey there's something we agree on. There is no excuse (other than poor quality) for a modern radial tire to flatspot.   Although I suspect Yoko is trying to cover their a$$, knowing the tire pressure is unlikely to be checked when not in use......a flat, heavily loaded tire could be damaged. 

Besides in context of this thread, lifting the tongue weight off is hardly the same as putting the vehicle on blocks.

I was actually interested in your opinion of the permanent spring sag/weakness being caused by either static or dynamic loading.....surely you have an opinion?

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-22 1:49 PM (#93422 - in reply to #93379)

Regular

Thanks everyone, for your replies so far! Very helpful. Sounds as though the spring life is of more concern than wear on today's modern tires. If/when we do find a space to park the trailer with sufficient room to park the truck in front of it, taking the weight off when the rig is going to sit for more than a few days sounds prudent. If we are fortunate enough to create such a parking spot, however, the trailer will likely not be spending as much time sitting in one spot. ;)
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-10-22 7:14 PM (#93428 - in reply to #93379)

Expert

All right, we have some speculation and some opinions, but no facts.  I have a few calls out to a couple mechanical engineers I know to see if I can acquire any useful facts.  I am not overly optimistic that those guys will be any more likely to arrive at an actual relevant conclusion than we are here.

I will leave this 'word problem' with those of you that believe it necessary to unload the springs;

The front axle of my Duramax is rated at 4800#, it weighs 4200# empty.  That means during its ENTIRE service life the front axle springs will operate at 87.5%, or more, of their capacity.  That 87.5% is equivalent to a 2300# pin weight on the rear axle of my truck.  I guess I should be jacking up and unloading the front axle springs on my truck when I get home at night????????

Will a static load fatigue the spring?  Sure.  I have no doubt the front of my truck will be a little lower in 200,000 miles, would it be lower with zero miles but 10 years later?    Maybe.   Would jacking the front up every night to unload the springs make a difference?  I do not know, and do not care.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-10-22 7:46 PM (#93431 - in reply to #93379)

Expert

To those owners that have an auxiliary suspension aid such as air bags or Timbrens, the whole rear spring issue is almost a moot point. My Timbrens are set up so they contact the frame at the same time the auxiliary springs start to have an affect. At this point, the main spring pac is only slightly straightened, far short of its complete capabilities. The main load is now being supported by the auxiliary Timbrens, the truck's frame and the tires. The springs are only partially loaded.

Because the springs aren't forced though their full travel, and are actually only carrying a fraction of their intended capability, their wear is significantly reduced in comparison with another truck without this auxiliary aid. Theoretically, I could leave that load on the hitch for any length of time, and not realize any suspension damage.

More damage is done to a suspension by overloading its capabilities, than by maintaining a constant weight within its design parameters.

More damage is done to my neck and shoulders by constantly cranking a manual jack, than if I  leave the trailer in place for a few more days. If I have a short turn around, the trailer remains hitched. If it is a week or so between hauls, I'll disconnect.

Gard

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-10-22 10:09 PM (#93442 - in reply to #93379)

Expert

Leave your trailer hooked up!

How many people leave their camper on their truck?  How many people who own RVs, ( which are often built on truck chassis) empty everything out of the RV  to make them lighter, so it doesn't ruin the springs?  How many trucks leave their aftermarket work bodies on their trucks. ie the mechanic with a tool bed.  My neighbor is a CAT mechanic.  His truck with utility bed loaded with tools, compressor, generator, welder and a host to lift heavy parts never gets any relief from the weight. He is pretty well maxed out to what his truck can carry.  He gets a new truck every 200,000 miles and I've never seen him replace his springs.

They are designed to carry the weight. True springs can loose their spring over time, but probably not during the expected life expectancy of the truck.

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-22 10:24 PM (#93445 - in reply to #93442)

Regular

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2008-10-22 8:09 PM

Leave your trailer hooked up!

How many people leave their camper on their truck?  How many people who own RVs, ( which are often built on truck chassis) empty everything out of the RV  to make them lighter, so it doesn't ruin the springs?  How many trucks leave their aftermarket work bodies on their trucks. ie the mechanic with a tool bed.  My neighbor is a CAT mechanic.  His truck with utility bed loaded with tools, compressor, generator, welder and a host to lift heavy parts never gets any relief from the weight. He is pretty well maxed out to what his truck can carry.  He gets a new truck every 200,000 miles and I've never seen him replace his springs.

They are designed to carry the weight. True springs can loose their spring over time, but probably not during the expected life expectancy of the truck.

LOL! You're late to the party! Thanks for the additional input. My desire to leave the whole rig hitched up (if it's not bad for the truck) is not just about convenience. We had to evacuate once this year during the fires and it does make an exit quicker in an emergency to leave everything hooked up and ready to go. (We did not have everything hooked up and ready to go at the time ... in fact the truck was not anywhere near the trailer, and, due to gridlock on most of the surface roads including the freeway, the whole deal was rather fraught - but everyone survived the experience.)

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-22 11:47 PM (#93449 - in reply to #93379)

Expert

Another thought on this issue.  Consider the differences between rolling vs standing. 

In a motionless state: Tires flat spot, rolling element bearings false Brinnell, Elastic bushings cold flow and set, lubricant flows away, Plain bearings settle, and other similar effects that are particular to non-use.

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-10-23 1:25 AM (#93453 - in reply to #93379)

Veteran

I think everyone will agree that if you leave your trailer hooked up for a year or so, there should not be any serious or notacable sagging of your suspension - but leave it hooked up for 5 or more years you are surely to notice some sagging. I think it would just be a good practice to unload the suspension, if you can and want to.

If you want your grand kids, kids to drive your truck in 40 years time - I would strongly recomend you park your truck in a climate controlled garage on blocks every night....lol

Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-24 9:00 AM (#93529 - in reply to #93379)

Regular

During fire season, one rig stays ready to haul out. We've had three fires come through sections of the ranch, in the past two years. Frankly, I care more about the livestock than I do about truck springs.
FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-24 12:44 PM (#93551 - in reply to #93529)

Regular

Originally written by Too L Ranch on 2008-10-24 7:00 AM

During fire season, one rig stays ready to haul out. We've had three fires come through sections of the ranch, in the past two years. Frankly, I care more about the livestock than I do about truck springs.

Hear, hear! :)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)