'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Drop Down Ramp

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-05 4:34 PM
21 replies, 16364 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Campchick
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-09-29 3:14 PM (#92302)
Subject: Drop Down Ramp

Has anyone ever added a drop down ramp to their trailer? Our trailer is a step up and thought about adding a ramp to it. Any suggestions are appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gaytor1331
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-09-29 4:00 PM (#92307 - in reply to #92302)
Subject: RE: Drop Down Ramp

Drop down ramps can be added on with a little modification.  I would suggest that you have your trailer dealer install it for you,there may be some welding involved etc.  I'm not sure what all it intails, but we had ours done by the dealer and we love it!!
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-29 5:08 PM (#92309 - in reply to #92302)

Extreme Veteran

I added a ramp to my featherlite.  It just bolted right on where the rubber bumper was.   You do have to weld on the trailer for the hooks to go onto.  Lucky for me my neighbor can weld aluminum and he did a great job!  Didn't take very long either.  Not sure about other brands of trailers.
tobruk
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-29 7:38 PM (#92319 - in reply to #92302)

Veteran

Depending on the manufacturer, most have a ramp that can easily be added by removing the rubber bumper and bolting into the same holes.  You usually have to weld or bolt some kind of mechanism to hold the ramp up when in transit.  Total job shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.  Some ramps come already pre-spring.  Loading the springs can be a major problem if you haven't done it before. Be very careful, those things pack a lot of power.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-09-29 8:25 PM (#92322 - in reply to #92302)

Veteran

Our trailer came with a ramp and I hate it. It is slippery when wet, our horses even though they load good kind of balk occasionally on it. We would remove it but our trailer is jacked up some and would really make it quite high to load, have to leave plenty of room behind the trailer for the ramp. Curious as to those that have them if they like them or not?
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-09-30 6:48 AM (#92336 - in reply to #92302)

Extreme Veteran

We love our ramp.  We have had two LQ trailers and both have ramps.  The first was a spring ramp and the horses took some getting used to it.  The one on our new trailer is quite solid and does not move when they step on it.  We have not had any issues teaching our horses to load in it and they all seem more they willing to walk up it verses having to jump or step in the trailer.  Makes loading on uneven ground easier too. Also, the end horses doesn't have that big step down when he backs off;  just back down the ramp.  They don't want to bolt back into the trailer if they can't find the ground behind them like with a step down.   Myself and the kids like it because it makes the tack and saddle rack easier to reach.   You just have to make sure and leave yourself enough room in your campsite/parking area to let it down.  Good Luck!
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-09-30 7:51 AM (#92337 - in reply to #92302)

We prefer ramp trailers. Hubby is a DVM and the first thing he wants done is to get a OEM ramp on a new horse trailer if there isn't one. We have them added by the dealer or manufacturer so the ramp matches and doesn't devalue the trailer.  He just feels like they are safer, especially for young stock.

We have added little rubber strips to a few ramps that seemed slicker than normal. They really help give the horses  traction.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-09-30 10:57 AM (#92346 - in reply to #92302)

Expert

I had a "Sundowner" ramp added to my Silver Star several years ago. Bolted to the same area that the rear rubber bumper was bolted. Looks like it come from the Factory. 5' long, 7' wide ramp and I can lift it with one hand while sitting in a wheelchair.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-09-30 11:37 AM (#92352 - in reply to #92302)

Elite Veteran

I had one a 96 Exiss I just sold. It had a pin connection under the rubber bumper. You had 2 pins to slide in. I never used it. It wasn't a permante fixture so it was more of a PIA than anything. Plus you had to store it...
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-05 10:32 PM (#92640 - in reply to #92302)

Extreme Veteran

Not to be a stick in the mud. If it's a newer trailer ask the dealer if adding a ramp will void any warranty you may have before making a major change to the trailer. I like step ups myself, but you have to go with what works for you.
Everwind
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-02-01 11:04 AM (#116005 - in reply to #92337)

New User

I have a used Exiss I just bought, the ramp is ribbed rubber, but had my horse slipping down it slowly when he puts just his front feet on in the winter (cleaned out feet) so was looking for solutions. Some said cocoa mat rolled out, what big shippers use a lot. But love the idea of rubber strips. Did you do it yourself or have it done? How are they attached exactly?
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-02-01 12:46 PM (#116010 - in reply to #92302)

Hubby just cut long 2" wide strips from a old rubber stall mat, then used self tapping screws with big washers making sure to recess them so the shoes never touch. I have also seen this done with little wood furring strips on some commercial haulers. He has done several trailers that way over the years.

'

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-02-01 5:39 PM (#116017 - in reply to #92322)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by classygirl98 on 2008-09-29 9:25 PM

Our trailer came with a ramp and I hate it. It is slippery when wet, our horses even though they load good kind of balk occasionally on it. We would remove it but our trailer is jacked up some and would really make it quite high to load, have to leave plenty of room behind the trailer for the ramp. Curious as to those that have them if they like them or not?

I have a ramp on my LQ trailer and my 2 horse straight load. I like ramps. My friend bought a 3H trailer with a very high step. My horse had no problem getting in but tended to slide out. I could just envision him losing his footing and easily sliding up under that trailer. After that time he was a bit tentative about backing out until he came in and out of my ramp trailer a couple of times, then he was back to normal. Ramps can be a bit slippery occasionally but you can do things to them to make them less so. I think step ups are fine as long as they are fairly low to the ground. Just my opinion, of course. I used to be very against ramp trailers but needed a ramp to load my carriages. I have had a ramp on every trailer I have owned because of this and have been very happy with them.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-02-01 11:18 PM (#116039 - in reply to #92302)

We have ramps on our trailers, also. Hubby is a DVM and thinks ramps are the best way to go. If we buy a trailer that doesn't have one, we just get the dealer or factory to add one. Money well spent.
JEAN
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-06-04 3:43 PM (#120906 - in reply to #92346)

Hi, I have a question about your ramp? I see your trailer is a Silver Star / ramp for from Sundowner ?? Is your trailer also made by Sundowner??If not is this a universal ramp?? I have a Merhow and would like to get ramp ? Do you know. Thanks, Jean
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-06-04 4:55 PM (#120908 - in reply to #120906)

Expert

Originally written by JEAN on 2010-06-04 4:43 PM

Hi, I have a question about your ramp? I see your trailer is a Silver Star / ramp for from Sundowner ?? Is your trailer also made by Sundowner??If not is this a universal ramp?? I have a Merhow and would like to get ramp ? Do you know. Thanks, Jean

My trailer was built by Silver Star, which has been out of business since 2006. I got the ramp from a Sundowner dealer. He ordered the ramp from Sundowner, removed the rubber bumper from the rear of the trailer and bolted the ramp to the rear trailer frame. I sure they had to drill more holes, but you wouldn't know that the trailer didn't come that way from the factory. The Silver Star Star Lite Supreme trailers and the "all aluminum" Sundowner's were built simular to each other. The dealer that installed the ramp was.... LB's of Harmony, N.C.

http://www.lbstrailer.com/catalog/

I'm not sure a Sundowner ramp would bolt right up to your Merhow, but any decient machine shop could make it possible.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-06-04 5:19 PM (#120909 - in reply to #92302)

Expert

Its also interesting to note I read a article written by a vet who saw most trailer related horse injuries because of the ramp. I have had step ups all along and never had a horse slide under them while unloading.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-06-04 9:29 PM (#120911 - in reply to #92302)

Expert

Just out of curiosity. You say you want to add a ramp because you blocked the axles and raised the trailer.

Just how high did you raise it?   My trailer sits about 18" off the ground. But my driveway slopes away and if I back in too far. It's common for trailer bumper to be 22-24" off the ground.  My horses are in and out of that with out thinking twice. Of course I've urged them over a lot of fallen logs on the mountainside.

It's a personal preferance whether people want a ramp or not. I'd never critize one way or the other. Just wondering if you had hit a height level, where it just wasn't practical for the horses to navigate? I guess that is a stupid comment. I just remembered watching Grandpa ask his horse to jump in the back of his pickup truck. And that's a whole lot higher than any horse trailer.

bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-06-05 7:32 AM (#120914 - in reply to #92302)

Regular

We used to have a 2mule slant GN that had a ramp.  Our mules HATED it!  They tried every which way to avoid it, loading or unloading.  I should have "listened" to what the mules were telling me to begin with, would have avoided one of them falling to her knees and sliding down the ramp while loading. It wasn't wet and we were parked on level ground...can't remember if she was shod or not. Luckily she wasn't hurt.  But, that ramp was removed the very next day.  Mules were much happier to load/unload after that ramp was pulled.  Hubby took round pipe and welded it where the ramp used to be attached to cover the square corners and protect the legs while loading/unloading.

We also used to have a brushbuster stock trailer.  They sit high off the ground, never was a problem for the mules, even if we were parked on uneven ground that might make the trailer even higher.

Each to his own.  If you are worried about leg injuries because the trailer is higher, guess you could wrap the legs.

When I sold the 2mule slant, the buyer was a horse owner & she was glad we had taken the ramp off.  Anyone want my ramp? Make you a deal on it - just come get it out of my yard. It was for a 2004 CM....think it was 6 or 6.6 wide with a fixed rear tack.  Ramp was only for the stall area, not the whole back end.

Mary B in Texas

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-06-05 9:14 AM (#120916 - in reply to #92302)

our mules have had absolutely no issues with any of our ramps. I don't know if they love the ramp or just love to go! In fact, the only loading issue I have had with any of them, was a small 2H step up that the gal had fowl locked up in for months and it kind of stunk. Hubby's old mule said, oh  hell no, and locked up. So, we took one of my traIlers instead. Ramp or step up, they don't really care. But, I do know someone that has a skinny ramp that their mule jumps about everytime.
bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-06-05 11:31 AM (#120918 - in reply to #92302)

Regular

BrushyCreek,

Should have come on to the forum ride.  Everyone had a great time!

All the mules would load in the 2mule slant, just hated the ramp.

Laughing at the mental picture I got of your hubby's mule getting a whif of the "fowl" smell.

Mary B in Texas

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-06-05 4:34 PM (#120926 - in reply to #92302)

I would have liked to have made the forum ride but I still wasn't able to ride. Plus, I guess Grady told y'all my old reining mule had a bad case of  WLD and couldn't be shod. I just started back riding last week and have not gotten out of the pen yet. Have only ridden two of the dead broke horses so far. But, I did go pick up my stocking legged mule from the trainers to start trail riding again. Now, if I could just get motivated again!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)