'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
adding plexiglas to a trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-17 9:12 AM
3 replies, 3309 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-09-15 2:37 PM (#91518)
Subject: adding plexiglas to a trailer

Extreme Veteran

I have a 2000 Bonanza 2 horse stock combo similar to this one:

http://www.horseresourcedirectory.com/viewad.asp?id=50705955854101113

I'd like to add plexiglas to the slats to keep rain out this winter. As you can see from the picture, there are structural object in the way, so I can't just screw it up there. Any suggestion on how to add plexiglas to a trailer like this? I could put it up permanent on the butt side, but I'd like to be able to take it down on the head side for the summer. Do you have to pre-drill holes in plexiglas? Do you need a special drill bit?

Thx.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-09-15 4:18 PM (#91523 - in reply to #91518)
Subject: RE: adding plexiglas to a trailer

Elite Veteran

My trailer just had a small channel on the inside, top and bottom, that the plexiglass slid into. A small width of U-channel welded or screwed onto your inside or outside should let you use this on an as-needed basis. It looks like maybe you could use the side supports to screw your channel into. As it doesn't have to hold any weight to speak of you won't need much in the way of supports/attachments.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-15 4:19 PM (#91524 - in reply to #91518)

Expert

I had a Cornpro stock/combo trailer with similar slats. I enclosed both sides using individual Lexan panels screwed to the horizontal slats, between the vertical studs.

When you drill acrylic, use a slow speed drill, and drill holes that are two fractional sizes larger than the hardware you plan to use. I used stainless oval head bolts and hardware with self locking nuts, and trim washers against the Lexan. Do not over tighten the bolts, just add enough tension to take the slack out of the hardware; the reason for the self locking nuts instead of lock washers which have to be crushed to work. If the panels are distorted with overtighened hardware, they will crack and fail.

Acrylic is much less expensive than Lexan and will work well. I would only use a thickness of 1/4" or greater. It can be cut with common woodworking tools, a table saw is a great help but not mandatory.

Gard

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-09-17 9:12 AM (#91638 - in reply to #91518)

Extreme Veteran

A trip to Home Depot resulted in buying the heavy duty screen material that you put on your windows to reduce the heat from the sun, screen door framing and the little flip levers that you use to hold screens in place. I plan on building a frame that I can slide in on the inside of the trailer, and using the flip levers to hold it in place.  The mesh on this screen material is very tight and should keep most of the rain out and block the wind, while allowing air flow.  I'll post some pictures when I'm done.  Thanks for the ideas.

-Betty

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)