'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Can horse flip unhooked trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-15 2:08 PM
22 replies, 10261 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-09-10 1:54 PM (#91246)
Subject: Can horse flip unhooked trailer?

Expert

I was shooting the bull with a lady the other day at the trailhead and we got to talking about breakdowns. She had broken down on the side of I95 close to home, called a friend to hook her trailer and get it/horses home.

Now here is where it gets strange, she mentioned she unloaded the horses (on the side of the interstate) before she hooked the trailer to the other truck. I looked at her like she was a bit daft and asked why. She then stated she didnt want the horses to freak out and flip the trailer while it was unhooked. It was some type of Trail-et I believe, 2h BP.

Call me crazy but I refuse to believe a horse, in a horse trailer, could flip the trailer just sitting there........even if it was unhooked. Maybe a large horse in a small open/stock trailer, but not in a stall in a horse trailer. What say you?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-09-10 2:36 PM (#91249 - in reply to #91246)
Subject: RE: Can horse flip unhooked trailer?

Expert

I don't know about flipping it over,but,I personally wouldn't leave a horse in a trailer that wasn't hitched up to the tow vehicle.I think lots of things are possible in a case like that,and,none of them good ones.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-09-10 2:48 PM (#91252 - in reply to #91249)

Expert

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-09-10 2:36 PM

I don't know about flipping it over,but,I personally wouldn't leave a horse in a trailer that wasn't hitched up to the tow vehicle.I think lots of things are possible in a case like that,and,none of them good ones.

I agree.....but she was broken down. I will assume it was only unhooked long enough to jerk the first truck out the way, then rehook.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-09-10 2:52 PM (#91254 - in reply to #91246)

Expert

the things people find to worry about...sigh....
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-10 3:19 PM (#91256 - in reply to #91246)

Expert

It would be hard to think such an occurance could happen. BUT, with two horses weighing as much as the trailer, completely flipping out over something, I don't think it could be ruled out as a possibility. Horses are capable of performing some amazing gymnastics. Two doing so at the same time, in a confined area, could result in some serious activity. A ton of weight, moving about violently, I believe could be enough to topple a small trailer.

I do think it was more dangerous unloading and reloading the horses beside the road, than the possibility of something happening within the trailer. If the horses were calm and contained, I would have kept them inside the trailer.

Gard

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-10 3:20 PM (#91258 - in reply to #91246)

Expert

I've seen a horse pull an unhooked trailer backwards, but to flip it from inside?  I would think the most the trailer would do is start rolling and chocks would stop that.  I would think it's more dangerous in that situation to unload.  Loose horse next to 70mph traffic...........
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-10 4:59 PM (#91267 - in reply to #91246)

Expert

I watched the antics of a Calico 2H slant stock trailer - step up - when a teen loaded her 1200 pound QH into it when it was NOT hitched to the tow vehicle...  it was tipping pretty badly - lifting the jack up off the ground.

I've also been behind a 4H straight load when a horse went down in it... it was skewing pretty badly as that horse tried to get back up.

Flip over on its side? maybe not unless a horse got to rearing and freaking for whatever reason - but tipping up or tipping down onto the jack?  YES. Wouldn't take much at all.

Oh... and let's say that the 2 horses DO step backwards - lean against the butt bars/rear doors and the front of the trailer leaves the ground. That's going to spook those horses and NO TELLING what could happen after that.

If you've never seen a thrashing horse in a trailer - and never experienced a horse stuck in the manger with their head crammed against the roof and neither front foot can reach the floor...  and those were CALM horses... steady Eddy kind of horses.... 

Edited by gabz 2008-09-10 5:03 PM
walkersandweims
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-09-10 6:32 PM (#91275 - in reply to #91246)

My truck broke down once about and Hour from Home. At the time I  had a BIG OLE  86 3/4 Ton  GMC   pulling my 2-H Stock.    Broke down right in the middle of an intersection !!!      called My Hubby and he barrowed His Dad,s Pick-up  and came and got the  Trailer with  One Horse in it .    Whe I initially hook up my Trailer I ALWAYS Toss the Chalk Blocks in the Truck Bed ( just in case ).   We did leave the Horse in the Trailer, WITH the Tires Chalked ,  Unhooked My Truck and pushed it out of the way and then backed up the  Father-in-laws truck and hooked up. Only took a few Minutes .  It was a scarry feeling to see your Horse in a unhooked Trailer in the middle of the road .   He stayed calm and  really did,nt even   notice anything was amiss, other  than being bored in the trailer for too long .

colelabradors
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-10 7:56 PM (#91280 - in reply to #91246)

I myself have had my truck break down on a two way blind road with nowhere to pull off. Luckily I did remember my cell phone, because the girl who I was following to make sure she did not run out of gas never came back to see what happened to me. I had to call the hubby and switch the trucks with the horse in. I had a three horse with the horse loaded in front so luckily the trailer was pretty balanced, but I can't say I  would ever want to do it twice. I personally carry tow insurance on my truck and trailer seperately so if no one is around to bail me out, I know the truck and trailer are going together.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-09-10 8:09 PM (#91281 - in reply to #91249)

Expert

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-09-10 2:36 PM

In that case,that's the best you can do.Remember that picture someone posted on here of that old junky trailer with a horse in it,that someone had left  in a parking lot of a business and then just went off,didn't leave a note,anything? He was still standing in there,calm as could be,in the picture,that is.

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-09-10 8:33 PM (#91282 - in reply to #91281)

Extreme Veteran

In that case,that's the best you can do.Remember that picture someone posted on here of that old junky trailer with a horse in it,that someone had left  in a parking lot of a business and then just went off,didn't leave a note,anything? He was still standing in there,calm as could be,in the picture,that is.

I was thinking of that post as I was reading this thread. To funny.
traumajunkie
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-11 11:01 AM (#91307 - in reply to #91246)

Is this the same site I have been reading?? I always see post after post about weight and axle ratings and tounge ratings. Has anyone ever looked at the rating of their jack on the bumper pull? I have not seen one rated over 1500 pounds on a horse trailer. If your willing to take that chance with your horses thats your deal. As for me, I will take my chances with traffic and unload mine.

I only pull goosenecks now and the jack on them is rated for 10,000 lbs and I will still unload if I have to unhook.

Edited by traumajunkie 2008-09-11 11:04 AM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-09-11 11:21 AM (#91308 - in reply to #91307)

Expert

My cousins thought it would be good experience for their horses to leave a BP trailer in the pasture with feed in it,so they'd get used to going in.

Well,it was good experience all right.In addition to tearing the outside of the trailer up by biting,rubbing,ect,they were going in and out,and one of them must have gotten it off balance.It rolled back down a little hill and through the fence,and before he got out,a horse tore the insides to smithereens.aLL unwitnessed by human eyes!

REAL good experience,but,not for the horses!

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-09-11 11:42 AM (#91314 - in reply to #91246)

That would have been a sight CRG. Hopefully they made it out okay except for the damage to the trailer.  

As far as the jacks go, keep in mind, it isn't picking up an more weight than what your tongue weight is. A gooseneck would be a little more. As far as the jacks on my bumper pulls go, both my flat bed and horse trailer are rated at 5000 pound lifting capacity according to the sticker on the jack. My goosenecks have jacks rated at 10,000 on one and the other is a 2 speed jack rated for 25,000. The jacks would be the least of my concern. I would have more concern for the trailer to start rolling.

I wouldn't think that they could flip the trailer, but I have seen horses manage to pull stunts that I would have never thought possible. Still, on the side of a busy highway, if they were mine, they would stay in the trailer unless it was an emergency to get them out.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-09-11 1:10 PM (#91321 - in reply to #91314)

Expert

I agree.

Everyone needs to carry one of those JiffyJacks or TrailerAide in case of a flat.We had one the night our tire blew out loaded with 2 horses in our BP trailer at Springfield,MO.There was NO WAY I'd unload those horses next to that 70mph speed limit highway on the shoulder,and when we drove to a safe place,all we had to do was drive up on the jack and change the tire in about 5 minutes' time.Those things are worth their weight,I'm telling you.

j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-09-11 1:12 PM (#91322 - in reply to #91246)

Veteran

When we were traveling on a 4 lane divided hwy we had 2 flats and only one spare. We had no choice but to unhook the truck from the trailer (LQ). We chocked the wheels and also put blocks under the rear corners of the trailer. Husband drove to tire shop about 1/2 hour away while I waited with the horses and dogs with cars and trucks zooming by. Not knowing what else to do, I lay down on the couch and ate M&M's to calm my nerves! 43

But, I sure wasn't going to unload them and hold them on the side of the road.

j&j

Edited by j&j 2008-09-11 1:22 PM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-09-11 1:28 PM (#91326 - in reply to #91307)

Expert

Originally written by traumajunkie on 2008-09-11 11:01 AM

Is this the same site I have been reading?? I always see post after post about weight and axle ratings and tounge ratings. Has anyone ever looked at the rating of their jack on the bumper pull? I have not seen one rated over 1500 pounds on a horse trailer. If your willing to take that chance with your horses thats your deal. As for me, I will take my chances with traffic and unload mine.

I only pull goosenecks now and the jack on them is rated for 10,000 lbs and I will still unload if I have to unhook.

????? I dont think Ive ever seen a 1500# jack on a BP. Mine is either 3000# or 5000#, dont remember which and dont really care..........the loaded tongue weight is 900#.........so even your 1500# jack wouldnt be working too hard.

You must have a heavy trailer if even a 10,000# jack cant hold up the front half? Unload if you want, but it sure seems like a huge liability risk. If your horse gets into traffic do you have some type of extra insurance thats going to pay for the other guys car/s and medical bills? Not to mention you'll probably be sued.

traumajunkie
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-11 2:30 PM (#91328 - in reply to #91326)

Chad, you must be an engineer. I am sorry I am not. I did not say it wouldnt lift it. There is a sheer srength on these jacks. There is pleanty more I'd like to say but no need to argue. I also know my horses well and have never been concerned about having them next to the hi-way. You asked the question don't get mad because you dont like the answers you receive. Like I said before you want to do it great have a ball. C-ya

Edited by traumajunkie 2008-09-11 2:39 PM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-09-11 2:58 PM (#91331 - in reply to #91328)

Expert

Originally written by traumajunkie on 2008-09-11 3:30 PM

Chad, you must be an engineer. I am sorry I am not. I did not say it wouldnt lift it. There is a sheer srength on these jacks. There is pleanty more I'd like to say but no need to argue. I also know my horses well and have never been concerned about having them next to the hi-way. You asked the question don't get mad because you dont like the answers you receive. Like I said before you want to do it great have a ball. C-ya

Don't see how that came across as me being "mad", hell it appears youre the only person who "disagrees" and has answered that you would unload the horses.  No, I am not an engineer, but I can read the rating on the jack and I know what my tongue weighs.  I was just trying to pass on a little info about the jack strength to help you make a more educated decision. 

levigarrett
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-09-12 12:00 AM (#91365 - in reply to #91246)

Ive actually had to unhook our 3h gooseneck w/ lq a couple different times w/ horses loaded to switch out trucks for different reasons ,always left horses in the trailer and on level ground ,also have done it w/ our bumper pull there again have never had a problem out of any of the horses rocking or trying to flip the trailer forwards ,backwards or side to side, however in our old 3h slant gooseneck I had a paint mare in the front stall that was generally calm as can be pull back and rare up on the trailer tie inside while unloading before she was unhooked and hit her head inside the trailer which made her go bizerk for about 3 minutes and let me tell ya she was rocking that ole steel trailer which was hooked to the truck still and me right there w/ her trying to calm her down , and that ole trailer never was the same after , she healed up real good but after 35 years of having and hauling horses it opened my eyes a bit about just how fast somthing like that can turn nasty for both the horse and the owner. Id still not unload my horses on the side of any major traffic road unless it was just unavoidable
traumajunkie
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-12 12:17 PM (#91388 - in reply to #91246)

Well I guess I have no idea. Funny thing is, there was a vet on RFD-TV yesterday talking about this very subject and he recomended never leaving a horse in an unhooked trailer. As I said before everyone has their own ideas on how they want to do this and what they feel comfortable with. good luck to all!!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-13 3:31 PM (#91437 - in reply to #91388)

Expert

Originally written by traumajunkie on 2008-09-12 12:17 AM

Well I guess I have no idea. Funny thing is, there was a vet on RFD-TV yesterday talking about this very subject and he recomended never leaving a horse in an unhooked trailer. As I said before everyone has their own ideas on how they want to do this and what they feel comfortable with. good luck to all!!

I seriously doubt any vet would unload on the side of a highway unless circumstances required the horse to change trailers.  To high a liability should the animals get loose and hit by a car.

traumajunkie
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-15 2:08 PM (#91516 - in reply to #91437)

I seriously doubt any vet would unload on the side of a highway unless circumstances required the horse to change trailers.  To high a liability should the animals get loose and hit by a car.

Don't shoot the messenger. Just telling you what was on TV. Just as you could find a vet that says the opposite. AS I KEEP REPEATING YOUR HORSES YOU DO IT YOUR WAY!!!!!!!!!!!.........

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)