'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Inspection testing

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-04 10:26 PM
6 replies, 3850 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DLM-10
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-09-03 6:27 PM (#90916)
Subject: Trailer Inspection testing

We live in IL. and have RT plates on our trailer. Recreational Trailer plates. From my understanding this trailer doesn't have to be tested for personal use. I know laws are different from sate to state but do you have your trailers tested and if you do is the truck to be tested also? The trailer is a Kiefer Gensis X3 weekender if it makes a difference.   Rod
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-09-04 5:45 AM (#90939 - in reply to #90916)
Subject: RE: Trailer Inspection testing

Expert

Tested for what? I live in KY, and as far as I know we don't have to have anything tested.
DLM-10
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-09-04 7:20 PM (#90978 - in reply to #90916)

They seem to be cracking down on trailers here, looking for any kind of double axle trailers. The laws have always been vague or conflicting on requirements of state safety inspection stickers. Things checked to pass and get sticker (lights, brakes, break away brake hookups, tires, hitches, ect. Basic safety equiptment. My insurance agent swore we didn't even need to license trailer, for personal use, DMV says different. Just wandered what everyone else does.
luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-09-04 8:26 PM (#90980 - in reply to #90916)

Regular

VA requires yearly State Vehicle Inspection for horse trailers. Just like cars. They must be titled and registered with license tags. You can get the tags yearly or buy permanent ones for something like $100 ( I think higher weights are more, but I have a simple 2H BP), but they can't be transferred. I didn't have to pay personal property tax (maybe because of the low value on my trailer) on the trailer, just sales tax when I bought it, but I do have to pay my city licensing fee and they don't even issue city stickers, anymore! Still charge like 30 bucks a year, though!
karynzoo
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-09-04 8:59 PM (#90985 - in reply to #90916)

Regular

I'm going to find out tomorrow.  I'm also plated RT but farther north than you.  My trailer has a LQ (no toilet though).  If I have to get it inspected it is news to me.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-04 9:19 PM (#90988 - in reply to #90978)

Expert

Your best bet would be to follow what your DMV said, or go to a local state trouper office and ask them.  They ought to know.
traumajunkie
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-09-04 10:26 PM (#90993 - in reply to #90988)

I would not count on a state trooper. I live in NM and the Rig cops here don't even know what the law says. It is my opinion that if one ownes these type of vehicles it would be worth the research to know the law.

I'm not saying your ignorant, bucause, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Do some research and know your rights and you will be more relaxed knowing your in the right even if you have to go to court.

In NM you are not required to have plates as long as you are hauling agricultural related items (and yes this includes hauling to rodeos). If I had to pay all the fines I have beat in court I would be on welfare.

Point: Knowledge is power and Power i.e. police, DMV, and even courts dont always have the knowledge!!!

Now that I am off my soap box we only have to have a vin inspection when titleing.

Edited by traumajunkie 2008-09-04 10:31 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)