'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Equispirit Horse Trailer ? good or bad...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-10 8:54 AM
11 replies, 16018 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lhoward31
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-26 5:25 PM (#90447)
Subject: Equispirit Horse Trailer ? good or bad...

Does anyone have any experience with Equispirit trailers? Looking at a 2004 2 H BP XL with dressing room.

Also, I have seen that the newer Equispirit models offer the "walk through" loading and unloading, basically you unload the horse by going forward out of the side of the trailer. There are ramps in the back and on the side. Any opinions about those types of trailers?

Thanks in advance

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-08-26 6:13 PM (#90455 - in reply to #90447)
Subject: RE: Equispirit Horse Trailer ? good or bad...

Veteran

I have a friend that has a 2H BP Equispirit.  We love the thing!  (I found it first but passed because I decided I wanted a GN).  Sure do wish I could afford a second trailer, cuz that would be the one I want.  It's nice and open and airy and bright inside.  Horses don't seem to be afraid to get in it (even the ones with little trailering experience).  REALLY loved the option of taking out the center divider and being able to use it to haul other things too (hay, furniture, etc).  Seems to be pretty well built.  Great all around type trailer IMHO. 

Regarding the walk through unloading... I feel any of my horses should be trained well enough to back out of a trailer, especially if there's a ramp... no reason they should have to be walked out the front.  But then again, there may be other reasons for this feature that I'm not aware of.  Anyone?

lhoward31
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-26 6:48 PM (#90460 - in reply to #90455)

Thanks for the recc's !! Sounds like a very nice trailer, can't wait to go see it !

You are right, though..horses should be trained to willingly back out of a trailer. I think the side escape is nice, but then again...once a horse gets used to it, would they still be willing to back out of another trailer? They probably wouldn't always ride in the same trailer all their life.

Not sure, I guess if a trailer just happend to have that option it would be nice, but perhaps not reason enough for me to look at a "new" trailer, when there is a couple nice used ones, that don't have that option.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-08-26 7:11 PM (#90465 - in reply to #90455)

Expert

Regarding the walk through unloading... I feel any of my horses should be trained well enough to back out of a trailer, especially if there's a ramp... no reason they should have to be walked out the front.  But then again, there may be other reasons for this feature that I'm not aware of.  Anyone?

Emergencies.  You could get rearended and ruin the rear door.  You need a way to get the horses out.

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-26 7:26 PM (#90469 - in reply to #90447)

Veteran

I believe Equispirit is made by Trail-et.  You should be able to do a search about Trail-et to find reviews
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-27 3:17 PM (#90541 - in reply to #90469)

Expert

Originally written by DD_TrailerMan on 2008-08-26 8:26 PM

I believe Equispirit is made by Trail-et.  You should be able to do a search about Trail-et to find reviews

Um... I believe that HAWK in Wisconsin manufactures the Equi-spirit trailer.

Equi-spirit was a spin-off from Trail-et when Tom & Neva Scheve wanted to have some higher standards.

All 3 brands of trailer are VERY similar.  Trail-et is the most competitive - price and feature wise; then Hawk; and then E-spirit which has just the next level of safety & comfort (thicker padding, more doors/windows, always ramps I think)

lhoward31
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-27 3:29 PM (#90543 - in reply to #90447)

Thank you everybody, really appreciate the feedback :)

Wish me luck that the trailer is just what we need, in good shape and that the price is right ;)

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-08-27 3:51 PM (#90544 - in reply to #90465)

Veteran

Originally written by Terri on 2008-08-26 7:11 PM

Emergencies.  You could get rearended and ruin the rear door.  You need a way to get the horses out.

Well there you go!  I knew one of these smart folks would have a great explanation.  Thanks Terri.  You are so right. 

KCW
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-08-28 8:52 AM (#90590 - in reply to #90447)

Veteran

EquiSpirit Trailer
 Call Toll Free 1-877-575-1771

KCW
karl1952@email.com

They have three size options available on all are models (straight loads):

Standard

10' stalls, 7'6" height, 6' width

14 to 16-3 hands

XL (Extra Large)

11' stalls, 7'8" height, 6' width (96" width axles)

16-3 to 17-2 hands

XXL (Double Extra Large)

11' stalls, 7'8" height, 6' 8" width (102" width axles)

18 hands plus

Custom Built Size

Built to size of horse

19 hands plus

The EquiSpirit is a composite of three materials:

• galvanealed steel frame, inner side walls, dividers and breast/butt bars
  • molded fiberglass roof, incorporating tubular steel structure into the fiberglass, as well as easy to repair/replace fiberglass fenders
  • aluminum skin on the outer walls (non stress part of the trailer) with insulation between the steel and aluminum

Note: Trailer has a wood floor

Edited by KCW 2008-08-28 9:12 AM
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-08-28 5:02 PM (#90625 - in reply to #90447)

Extreme Veteran

One of the trail riding magaines did a great article on the Equi-Spirit trailers and the people who design them but, I'm sorry, I don't remember which issue it was. I was impressed by the thought that went into the safety features designed into these trailers.  I had the opportunity to see one at the Ocala Expo last year and speak to them. The trailers are nice and airy inside. The model they had there was the 2+1.

I have seen my friend get rear ended so it can and does happen. I would really like to be able to unload from the front just in case. Just because you have a front unload does not mean you can't teach your horse to back out or that you have to use it every time.

I'm sure you would be purchasing a great trailer. Good Luck!

mrtuffchocolate
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-10 2:05 AM (#92863 - in reply to #90447)

New User

I just had to reply to this forum even though it is old, my friend bought a brand new equispirit trailer last year with living quarters, what a piece of junk!  Handles on the outside are falling off, and as far as safe for your horse her horse gashed his leg open on the open metal tube for the divider that is only one foot from the floor of the trailer she has also had problems with shoddy workmanship in the living quarter the shower door is not square and does not shut properly.  the frame is rusting out everywhere!   She is very upset she paid probably 10.000 more for her trailer then i paid for my titan ( not the same company that makes the titan avalanche)  galvaneal trailer we bought them at the same time mine has no rust as of yet, granted I have waxed mine about 4 times but my handles and hardware is all intact and operating great i could not believe how shoddy these trailer that equispirit makes are!
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-10-10 8:54 AM (#92867 - in reply to #90447)

We have had a fully loaded trailer rear ended before.  But, since it had full doors behind the ramp with a big gap in between, the doors were not damaged. They had the ramp off the trailer in just a few minutes,  screwed a rubber bumper on and we were on our way in less than an hour. We have full doors behind ramps on both of our trailers. But, even with that setup, we ALWAYS have an escape exit for the horses up in the front stall.

You should always have two SAFE ways out of any trailer for your horses! For many years, we have averaged over 30,000 miles annually on the road traveling with horses and mules. And , if you travel enough, things are going to happen. Most drivers could care less about your precious cargo..............

randemtam wrote: "I have seen my friend get rear ended so it can and does happen. I would really like to be able to unload from the front just in case. Just because you have a front unload does not mean you can't teach your horse to back out or that you have to use it every time. "

Edited by brushycreekranch 2008-10-10 9:01 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)