'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Running trailer at MAX weight cap.

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-19 3:10 PM
58 replies, 23097 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-17 10:47 PM (#89877 - in reply to #89204)
Subject: RE: Running trailer at MAX weight cap.

Expert

I've been reading about your plight and can empathize with your predicament. It sounds as if your problem has been well analyzed, and you know what your limitations are. To me, it sounds as if you have a few choices, none of them being inexpensive or easy.

The first would be to try to cut your losses and replace your trailer. The second is to spend some serious money replacing and upgrading to the proper running gear and hoping the frame is strong enough for the modifications. The third is using the legal system which is expensive, time consuming and not always beneficial.

The fourth is one I would try. Unless you can expect the trailer's manufacturer to come up with a favourable resolution, you have an item that isn't working for you. The more time spent on trying to make it work, the less time you have to enjoy your hobby and life. Consult an attorney for his best advise. If he agrees, get rid of the problem, keep all your records and start your litigation. In the mean time, purchase what you need to satisfy your requirements and move on.

Life is short and you have to grasp as much of it as you can, now..

Best of luck  Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
c.will_09
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-18 10:16 AM (#89897 - in reply to #89877)

Regular

Thank you, I have bought a trailer to use until I can figure out what to do about this one.  Manufacture offered todays wholesale value to buy it back.  But in my opinion that is a complete insult and a insult from them telling me to get smaller horse.  Seeing how we have had troubles with this thing since the 4th day we had it and have been going round and round for a year now and the more I research the more I find out I am not the only on having problems, but I guess I am the only one not wanting to take their bs any longer.  Luck forme my better half keeps perfect records and has every single email to and from reguarding all the problems since we have bought this trailer.
c.will_09
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-18 2:51 PM (#89915 - in reply to #89875)

Regular

Not sure how they split up I just know that I check it and the trailer shop checked it also and came up with the same figures.  14,660 axle with 2 large horses, 2 avg. horses, all full but the waste tanks. 

I'm sure the repair shop knows how to get the correct weight, seeing how all they do is trailer repair and I would say 90% of their buisness is axle work and air ride equipment conversions.

c.will_09
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-18 9:43 PM (#89953 - in reply to #89877)

Regular

gard,

Another question.  I had another shop check my trailer today to get a quote on installing larger axles, tires and wheels and was told that it could be done. But the main problem is going to be if DOT starts checking horse trailer closer and I get checked loaded and my axle weight is over 14-k lbs that I would get a ticket and may have to unload to get my weight at or under the 14-k rating that is listed on the vin tag because I would have no way to change the figures on that sticker.  The other problem he is informing me about is hardware and mounting points on the frame will need to be replaced or reinforced.  Then I got the good news, the cost!  I am looking at around 15-k or so depending on how much reinfocement is needed.  This includes, 2 8-k lbs  Dexter axles, 4 17.5" steel wheel, 4 17.5" trailer tires that are rated at 4800lbs each, raising and reinforcing the frame from the axles toward the front of the trailer.  I thought it was high, but he told me that this was a big job and would be just as easy to get rid of the trailer and buy a differrent brand fast!

So the actaul question is, does these figures seam right?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-19 9:21 AM (#89966 - in reply to #89204)

Expert

The costs do seem high, but the upgrades will involve a lot of work. You should be able to get an idea of the cost of materials by checking out Dexter's web site, and other's to price the wheels and tires and various parts, etc. I don't see why a fabrication shop, with all the parts in hand, couldn't complete most of the physical swap in a day, two at the out set. Figure the cost of materials, and add an hourly rate for two mechanics for two days, add a few hundred for shop supplies, and you should be able to establish a ball park figure.

There will be a problem with the documentation. After all your upgrades are completed, according to the law, your trailer still only has the original capabilities as posted on the manufacturer's data plate. Only the manufacturer can post the limitations, as he is also bound by various rules and regulations, to build a trailer within certain specifications. The manufacturer undoubtedly will not issue an addendum, because he would then be responsible for work, of which he has no knowledge.

Another problem is the original trailer's frame. Your trailer's manufacturer has a history of installing undersized components and overstating its capabilities. How do you know that the upgraded components won't overtax the frame? Your trailer is only as good as its weakest component. It would take a structural engineer to asses and evaluate the capabilities of what your trailer has.

It might be that beside your new axle attaching points, a crack may develop in your frame. Your suspension is upgraded, but all of that loading is transferred to other parts of the frame. The weak link will fail. All a fabricator can do is use his best judgement, in guesstimating where he thinks additional reinforcement will be necessary. If he makes a mistake and the frame fails as a result, any resulting injuries will put him partially to blame. There won't be too many people willing to make that commitment.

Under the law, there are two basic principals that apply to you. The first, "warranty of merchantability", applies to the fact that you bought a specific trailer to do a specific job. Your dealer and manufacturer were paid and charged to build you a product that meet both your specifications, and those of which they publish. That was a contract which they did not meet.

The second principal is one where you have to mitigate your losses. In other words, sooner, rather than later, you will have to make a decision about the disposition of the trailer, and then do so. You will not be able to let this situation continue at length without a resolution. This may mean, that you will have to sell your trailer at a substantial loss, or trade it back to the manufacturer, also at a loss, and buy a new one.

Once you have accomplished this transaction, then with your completely documented paperwork, you can establish your loss. This loss is what you and your attorney can litigate. Unfortunately, he will take 33 1/3% of your winnings, plus costs. However, if you can prove that the manufacturer deceived you, or that it acted unfairly and deliberately misrepresented facts, then punitive damages can be asked for. These can be in addition to your actual losses, if you can prove that they were in any way, harmful to you.

I think you have a dead horse, and kicking it any further will only result in a sore foot and a bad headache. I personally would not throw any more good money after bad. Find a good attorney and start over.

Best of luck   Gard

c.will_09
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-19 10:45 AM (#89974 - in reply to #89966)

Regular

Thanks so much for your help. That is what a bunch of people have told me to do. Not use good money to cover the bad. And now I have a cost of replair or cost to try and repair this trailer and 2 differrent certified trailer repair shops have give me the same type report. (could be upgraded but NOT worth it because of the stress on the original frame). I would love just to dump this turd, but I do not feel right trying to selling it or trading it off knowing the problems and the dangers that is has.

Edited by c.will_09 2008-08-19 3:02 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-19 12:55 PM (#89981 - in reply to #89974)

Expert

Originally written by c.will_09 on 2008-08-19 10:45 AM

Thanks so much for your help. That is what a bunch of people have told me to do. Not use good money to cover the bad. And now I have a cost of replair or cost to try and repair this trailer and 2 differrent certified trailer repair shops have give me the same type report. (could be upgraded but worth it because of the stress on the original frame). I would love just to dump this turd, but I do not feel right trying to selling it or trading it off knowing the problems and the dangers that is has.

Stronger components underneath will not significantly affect stress in the frame or upper body.
Loading it to that new capacity might, e.g. if the underbody gets you a GVW of 22,000 you just MIGHT decide to use it (-:

I agree with the general notion that you can get out of this a lot cheaper by getting out of this. Find someone with a Yak or Alpaca farm who wants 4 stalls and the camper facilities, avoid buyers who have percherons.

A "fer real" truck/trailer re-builder COULD reconstruct and certify what they have done to a different GVW. They "finish the production" of many trailers that come as not much more than a bare frame. The paperwork process is very similar to what they do when they put a platform bed or work body on a chassis/cab. Again, this is almost certainly the least worthwhile route for you to take.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-19 1:56 PM (#89984 - in reply to #89981)

Expert

Not just alpacas ... Small Arabs, Rocky Mountain or Mountain pleasure horses, etc. are typically under 1000 pounds. Pony Clubbers ... too :)

But if you find an alpaca website or two... those folks really spend the $$$ on their critters. : )  like some other people I know.

c.will_09
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-19 3:10 PM (#89988 - in reply to #89981)

Regular

This is not the only issues with this trailer, it is just the icing on the cake!  Some stuff I could overlook, but when it come to the safety of my family and animals it an't happening!  And I'm sure not going to put up with it when the company knew about the problem and has said nothing about it to anyone.

c.will

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)