'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-29 10:48 PM
110 replies, 17913 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh Frozen
Message format

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-25 10:35 PM (#86378 - in reply to #86376)
Subject: RE: Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less

Expert

remember that there was a time that everybody thought that horseless carriages would not work and that nothing could replace the horse.  well there is something that will replace oil we just have not found it yet
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-06-25 11:45 PM (#86386 - in reply to #85966)

This is a very very interesting discussion.....as for me I intend to put up a wind turbine generator, specifically the Breezy 5.5..........One thing no one has mentioned is the current population numbers.  There are now  (as far as we know) more people on Mother Earth than ever.  Remember in the 70's the plea for zero population growth? 
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-06-26 2:36 AM (#86388 - in reply to #86386)

Expert

Originally written by rose on 2008-06-25 12:45 AM

This is a very very interesting discussion.....as for me I intend to put up a wind turbine generator, specifically the Breezy 5.5..........One thing no one has mentioned is the current population numbers.  There are now  (as far as we know) more people on Mother Earth than ever.  Remember in the 70's the plea for zero population growth? 

This may have been posted here already, some scary stuff...More info on population growth....

http://www.superfactory.com/articles/meyer_what_in_the_world.htm

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-26 5:15 AM (#86390 - in reply to #86388)

Expert

Originally written by retento on 2008-06-26 2:36 AM

This may have been posted here already, some scary stuff...More info on population growth....

I think that was well written, and very informative. Without a political tilt.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-26 8:31 AM (#86397 - in reply to #86100)

Expert

Conservation is necessary but it is also some of our current economic problems. People driving and flying less = weaker economy because they vacation less, shop less, etc.True solution is to end our energy dependence on foreigners. We are tied into oil for much more than just fuel requirments. If our enemies want to crush us from within, all they have to do is turn off the oil valve.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-26 8:36 AM (#86398 - in reply to #86088)

Expert

If you don't NEED an SUV, don't buy one. If we didn't have one, we wouldn't get home in the winter.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-26 8:40 AM (#86400 - in reply to #86065)

Expert

Maybe you should start considering some of what radio says. Try www.glennbeck.com
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-06-26 8:59 AM (#86403 - in reply to #86378)

Veteran

Originally written by loveduffy on 2008-06-25 10:35 PM

remember that there was a time that everybody thought that horseless carriages would not work and that nothing could replace the horse.  well there is something that will replace oil we just have not found it yet

I'm betting on this:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/4270240.html?serie...
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-26 5:37 PM (#86443 - in reply to #86403)

Expert

that is what i am talking about  thank you for the article Towfoo
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-27 8:16 AM (#86491 - in reply to #86388)

Originally written by retento on 2008-06-26 2:36 AM

Great read. Very informative.

Conservation is key. No question about it. We should be concerned about the enviroment. Although I can remember everyone saying that we were starting into our next ice age when I was a kid. 20-30 years later we have global warming. I guess what I am getting at is this...I don't believe that the warming is only being caused by us. That being said... Alternative fuels of some kind are going to break through. But fossil fuels are still around to stay for quite a while longer. If we can reduce our dependency on foreign oil by 1% or 99% why don't we do it? Drill here. Create jobs. That boosts our economy. That will bring the value of our dollar back up. And that will bring oil prices back down. And while doing that...work on alternative fuels and other types of power. But realize...even once alternatives are perfected, it isn't an overnight change. We are still years and years away from being indepedent from oil.

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-06-27 8:54 AM (#86496 - in reply to #85966)

Drilling an oil well is kinda like planting a tree- the best time to do it was 10 years ago. Congress and the tree huggers need to get out of the way and let's get on with it, because 10 years down the road we'll need it even worse. Many of the wells producing today will be dead and gone by then and we'll need new production to replace them.
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-06-27 11:43 AM (#86510 - in reply to #86496)

Elite Veteran

Actually the saying goes like this.  "Two of the best times to plant a tree are 20 years ago . . and today."

But your point is well taken.  We can't keep pondering our options . .. we have to start doing something.

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-06-28 10:31 AM (#86552 - in reply to #85966)

Regular

Just got back from a week long family reunion in Florida and am absorbing all the information in this particular post.

First comment/thought/opinion: biggest lesson learned from my years as a journalist (before going to law school so i could earn a decent 'wage') was that every article, every newscast, etc may rely on facts, but those facts get so very skewed even when the writer diligently tries to stick "to the facts".  which is to say: all those articles and information cited should not be blindly accepted as 'the truth'.  each article may have some good points to consider, but don't bet your life on any of those articles being totally on point.  (my years as an attorney have taught me not to believe anything anyone says...almost!)

Second thought: i agree that conservation is one answer that we can all take part in and we can all start TODAY.  we used our old diesel ford excursion to drive the 14 hour trip to Florida.  but there were six of us (and at times i felt like a jumbo jet wouldn't have been big enough to keep the peace between the kids!).  but now that we are home, the driver's in our family swallow our "coolness" and share our VW jetta (diesel) which gets 45 mpg...seriously.  it has taken us awhile to get used to driving that small vehicle, esp since most of our driving is on I10, getting passed by numerous 18 wheelers, esp when we were all used to driving trucks.  WE WOULD NEVER HAVE BOUGHT THIS SMALL 'BORING' CAR until the high fuel prices forced us to find a way to conserve...our money.    the only way americans are going to actually get anything accomplished or change their habits is when they are affected directly, which usually means the pocketbook. 

so, we can argue all day about how much fuel is laying beneath us, which political party did or didn't do something they should or shouldn't have, etc and by the end of the day, it is very doubtful any of us is any closer to getting 100% of our facts correct.  but everyone of us can do a little bit toward conserving what we do have, not wasting our resources. so when i finish my bottle of merlot, i will recycle that glass container....

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-06-28 2:35 PM (#86562 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

The issue isn't a lack of oil. There is PLENTY of it. Environmentalist have been predicting we'd run out since the 70's. These people have been proven wrong time and time again yet people still buy into them. There is NO Global Warming. None. Period.NADA. The earth has been in cooling and warming cylces from the start....mankind and our presence has had no effect, ill or otherwise, on this planet. In fact- one of the last warming periods came before the industrial revolution. Before AC,areisol cans,CFC's, internal combustion engines. We have no control over hurricans,tornadas,blizzards and yet somehow our daily lives as amercians can warm the earth just like that? Silliness.

Back to oil- face it, its the lifeblood of our ecomony and I for one am not ashamed if it.There is nothing wrong with it. Its just a fact of life and if we like having nice cars,warm homes,cooked food and a job to make it happen, then we have to get over this idea that somehow we can live without oil or live with less. We don't have to develope other sources. The problem can be solved in a snap ( figuratively speaking since I know its a long term outlook) if we wanted to. Another fact- this is a political problem. As long as we have politicans making the laws that reatrd the development of oil feilds, both on and off shore, we will have a dependence on where ever the oil comes from ( right now our biggest source of oil comes from canada and mexico) As long as we have politicans beholden to the wacky environmental left we won't have cheap and plentiful fuels even if we manage to develope alternative fuels ( oh and look where that has gotten us)

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-28 10:57 PM (#86593 - in reply to #86562)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-06-28 3:35 PM

There is NO Global Warming. None. Period.NADA. The earth has been in cooling and warming cylces from the start....mankind and our presence has had no effect, ill or otherwise, on this planet.

Wow. I guess the fact that the north pole will be water instead of ice this summer is incorrect. And since the industrial revolution, the co2 we're producing has no affect on the environment, the overpopulation of some areas doesn't contribute to pollution, the clear cutting of forests in some countries doesn't actually affect the weather patterns, that the large masses of corral that has died won't affect the sea life, that the species we've driven to extinction won't affect mankind? Love Canal didn't exist, superfund sites are fabrications, China doesn't have the worse pollution of the developed nations which is causing major health concerns. There was no Chernobyl, and the radiation didn't really kill thousands, The Exxon Valdez was really a schooner sailed by Ted Kennedy, and all the lawyers and courts are just making things up.

How many more paragraphs of examples to you have time to read?

mankind and our presence has had no effect, ill or otherwise, on this planet.

Please. Where can I buy the rose coloured glasses that you wear?

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-06-28 11:24 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-29 5:33 AM (#86600 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Once again ole Gard tries to convince someone of something with a bunch of "babble",

1. What does Chernobyl have to do with global warming?

2. What does the Exxon Valdez have to do with global warming?

3. By the way big guy, China's trash doesn't have anything to do with global warming.

But as usual, the facts don't matter if your a left wing tree hugging wackjob does it? Have you ever heard of sun spots? Did you know there are a lack of them now? How about the sun not sitting on a true axis(wobble), ever heard of that? Probley not............wouldn't want facts to get in the way of your "babble" would we. Now as far as the Artic Seas melting I guess all those people on the coast should run to higher ground because you wackjobs said/believe that the melting of the Artic seas is going to flood the coastlines.

This earth has went through incredible changes in the last million or so years, the Grand Canyon used to be a lake. The Rocky Mountains were formed beneath a glacier. The fertile soils of the heartland were deposited when the waters recided from the melting of the last ice age. We have been able to see some "changes" to this earth in our lifetimes, but nothing as incredible as what has "truely" happened in the history of the earth.

The last decade has seen the earth's average temperature drop .6 of a degree, that erases the last 110 years of warming that had been happening, but that's OK, the wackjobs can't let the truth mess up their story. By the way the CO emmissions you all always want to talk about........... the largest offenders of CO emmissions is cattle, and when they release it, it smells about as bad as your story on "global warming".

Edited by HWBar 2008-06-29 5:39 AM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-06-29 5:48 AM (#86601 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

lets be clear- the so called sciencists only predicted the ice will melt over the pole. Its hasn't melted at all- yet another silly prediction from people known to be wrong- FACT-according to Dr. Roy Spencer of the University of Alabama at Huntsville, and Dr. Spencer said, "I saw that story.  There's a 50% chance the North Pole would be ice-free this summer?  I'd like to take those odds.  If anybody would bet me a thousand dollars, I would take those odds." And then he said, "Let me show you this.  The latest chart shows the Arctic has more sea ice right now than this time last year.  You can compare the beginning and end of the one-year plots because they got the chart here.  The black curve would have to go all the way to the zero line in order for this to happen, and it ain't going to happen." "...The ice area here is measured in million square kilometers, and at its least last summer in September and October of 2007, it was at about three million square kilometers.  As we speak, in June of 2008, it is at about ten million square kilometers."

Read this Gard and understand- environmentalist have a really bad track record in the prediction department.

Show me eveidence that clear cutting tress has affected the weather patterns- please...ok I'll save you the trouble. It hasn't. There is no globla warming- there is no science to prove it, there are not facts to back it up. Its all a myth,a lie,a hoax. All based on a computer model and has been proven wrong by real science.

If you really want to learn something read this-

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,192544,00.html

Edited by farmbabe 2008-06-29 5:50 AM
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-06-29 6:50 AM (#86602 - in reply to #85966)

Veteran

This global warming stuff is like religion for the faithful on both sides of the debate. Each has just enough "evidence" to support their beliefs, but neither has irrefutable proof to move their beliefs into the realm of truths. That's why they're called beliefs.

To me, it's obvious that burning gas/oil/coal/wood etc isn't good for the air, any more than inhaling tobacco smoke is good for your lungs. On the other hand, the concept of taxing people or countries for energy and granting credits based on things like how much you invest in so-called "green" organizations, or how much forest acerage a country has, or how many cows farting in fields they have and so on is BS. Kyoto is a shell game scam. Makes no sense to levy the biggest taxes on the most productive country on the planet while exempting China, which btw just became the #1 polluter in the world, because they're "developing." This is no different than take from the rich and give to the poor. It's environmental Robin Hood opportunism.

Al Gore is a pompous, arrogant political opportunist and has been ever since I started watching him in action back in the early 80s. He sticks is finger in the political winds and then sets his sails to take maximum advantage of it. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad to head that way, so long as it advances Al Gore's own sense of "prestige."

BTW, global warming is real...it's even happening on Mars!!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming...

THE SUN IS GETTING WARMER...SAVE US AL GORE!

Edited by Towfoo 2008-06-29 6:52 AM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-29 9:14 AM (#86605 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Now I will state some things I feel strongly about,

We do need to find an alternative fuel source..........soon.

The stuff we put in the air is not good for us............

I enjoy flowers and fruit bearing trees, and I own both.

I drive the most fuel effiencient car I own for most of the miles I drive.......... I will not buy(spend) more on another car that will only marginally increase my miles per gallon.

I think that the carbon offset deal is a hoax/scam for someone/politician, just follow the cash.

It's all about supply and demand, just like the horse business right now. With oil/fuel we need to use less and drill for more. With Horses we need to produce less and expand the market. It is really that simple, no matter how complicated everyone wants to make it.

"Global Warming" is nothing other than a "Climate Change" this earth has been experiencing since the begining of time. Liberals/Treehuggers just hate the things that they are unable to "control or tax".

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-29 9:28 AM (#86606 - in reply to #86562)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-06-28 1:35 PM

There is NO Global Warming. None. Period.NADA.

I would clarify this statement as Anthropologically caused global warming.

(Otherwise known as human caused global warming.)

There has been global warming and cooling cycles for longer than we humans have had industrial processes.  Our current use of fossil fuel is merely releasing solar energy captured by the Earth over a millennia.  Its release is like burning a candle in a room.  There is some heat input to the room, but it is insignificant to the wood stove input, also known as the Sun

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-06-29 10:13 AM (#86607 - in reply to #85966)

Just an observation here, but I don't think the current fuel prices are high enough to slow most folks down. Last week I was coming back from Reno and got on I-10 at Blythe, Ca. I was wore out and decided not to push it so I got in a string of truckers and they were driving about 65, and that is slower than it has been, but the cars were driving 75-80 and I noticed most of them had only 1 or 2 passengers. Traffic was heavy most of the time, so I guess most are only paying lip service to conservation. It makes me wonder how high fuel has got to go before we see a real slow down in speed and traffic.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-29 12:23 PM (#86614 - in reply to #86600)

Expert

Once again HW casts his lot, opening his mouth without reading the facts . The statement I was referring to was "mankind and his presence has had no effect, ill or other wise on this planet." Then HW comes out with these gems:

Originally written by HWBar on 2008-06-29 6:33 AM

Once again ole Gard tries to convince someone of something with a bunch of "babble",

1. What does Chernobyl have to do with global warming?

A)I don't know. If you bothered to read my statement, you would have read about how the effects of radiation killed thousands of people and left a dead, desolate city and country side in its path. The radiation spread to parts of Europe where it contaminated livestock and crops. But I guess you don't consider that a bad affect.

2. What does the Exxon Valdez have to do with global warming?

A)I don't know. But once again, I was speaking of affects mankind has had on this planet. And once again, in your infinite wisdom, I guess you would consider the massive oil spill and its affects on the environment, a non event.

3. By the way big guy, China's trash doesn't have anything to do with global warming.

A) By the way little mind, the most polluted country in the world, has the highest output of pollutants and co2 which contributes to global warming.

But as usual, the facts don't matter if your a left wing tree hugging wackjob does it? Have you ever heard of sun spots? Did you know there are a lack of them now? How about the sun not sitting on a true axis(wobble), ever heard of that? Probley not............wouldn't want facts to get in the way of your "babble" would we. Now as far as the Artic Seas melting I guess all those people on the coast should run to higher ground because you wackjobs said/believe that the melting of the Artic seas is going to flood the coastlines.

that erases the last 110 years of warming that had been happening, but that's OK, the wackjobs can't let the truth mess up their story. By the way the CO emmissions you all always want to talk about...........  it smells about as bad as your story on "global warming".

(Quote)

HW. Where did you learn all that wonderful language and speech? In etiquette 101? I bet you were the teacher's pet for being so respectful and polite.

Where was my story on global warming? My story was on the effects mankind has had on this earth. Since we last conversed, you were hiding behind bushes. threatening to jump out and scare people. While all your quality time is being spent in such ingeneous ways, you still don't have the intellect or wherewith all, to realize what is going on around you. I offered to have you over for breakfast. Don't tell me you're still pouting.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-06-29 1:14 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-29 12:46 PM (#86618 - in reply to #86601)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-06-29 6:48 AM

lets be clear- the so called sciencists only predicted the ice will melt over the pole. Its hasn't melted at all- yet another silly prediction from people known to be wrong- FACT-

Those glasses are even better than I thought.

Here's some ideas to consider:   http://news.mongabay.com/2008/0103-

pollution.html

Another one:  http://e360.yale.edu/content/feature.msp?id=2010

Edited by gard 2008-06-29 2:51 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-29 2:47 PM (#86628 - in reply to #86607)

Expert

I was going to El Paso the other day, doing 65 and passing people.  Not cars, (I think I was the only slow car out there) but big trucks, trucks with trailers and RV's.  At first my husband thought I was nuts for going "so slow" because we were going to get run over.  We made that 2 hour trip on less than a 1/4 tank of gas, coming back was a bit more since it was up hill.  When we did 75 that trip takes us 3/4 of a tank.  (It's a 13 gallon tank)
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-29 2:55 PM (#86630 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

HW Bar Gard ... Please refrain from personal attacks.  That's a sure way to get a discussion thread locked. (and deservingly so

I would like to use this forum for a civil discussion.  Some of the comments have merit and I would amplify on some of them. 

Let's keep to the facts as we know them and provide sources for further info.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)