'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
I purchased a horse who was stolen

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-17 12:59 PM
103 replies, 24997 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-24 9:24 PM (#75250 - in reply to #75245)
Subject: RE: I purchased a horse who was stolen

Expert

Terri, I can tell you writing a check only gives you so much information about the cash-er.  They don't need to deposit the check at their bank to negotiate the item.  They could just drive to a branch of the bank is drawn from and cash it.  If you are lucky they'll use their real ID when it's cashed and sign a legal name on the back...if you are really lucky the bank will ask for a thumb print on the front which could be searched in a fingerprint database if the need arose.  If the dude is really slimy he'll use a fake ID and cash it at a check cashing store or re-sell the check and the trail goes cold.

Writing a check isn't a sure-fire way to catch anyone!

A nice bill of sale with copies of the sellers ID would have been really nice!

Edited by huntseat 2008-01-24 9:25 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Saddlebredlover
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-01-24 9:56 PM (#75254 - in reply to #74175)

Regular

Hi again,

Again thanks to all your comments.  The original owner will be reunited with her horse tomorrow.  Here is the picture of Sundance/Copper.  I'm really going to miss him.  We had a wonderful connection.  It's going to be devastating to give him up.  Natalee

http://www.netposse.com/stolenmissing/SundanceMOoct07.htm

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-24 10:23 PM (#75256 - in reply to #75254)

Elite Veteran

Natalee....sending a ton of {{{HUGS}}} to you. I am so sad for your great loss. I hope you are able to find the horse of your dreams.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-24 10:24 PM (#75257 - in reply to #75254)

Elite Veteran

OMGosh! I posted this horse's info all over the internet about a month ago. On this forum as well. I'm sad for you, but I am so happy for the owners.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-24 10:28 PM (#75259 - in reply to #75254)

Expert

I know you're attached to him and it's going to really be hard on you.I did read on the link a couple of things that stood out to me,the ad said "Tempermental" and that the horse kicked a hole in a trailer while being shown to some prospective buyers.

So,this happened at the CCTR at Emminence? Oh,well---

You will get another one that you will love even more.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-01-24 10:29 PM
Saddlebredlover
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-01-25 6:51 AM (#75261 - in reply to #74175)

Regular

I hope...it's a sad day. 
Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-01-25 9:06 AM (#75273 - in reply to #74175)

Veteran

Hugs for you and the horse.  You "WILL" find another horse -there lots to choose from out there.  Next time you will be wiser and both of you will be happy to find each other.  Let us know when you find your new pal.   
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-01-26 8:43 AM (#75310 - in reply to #74175)

Expert

Seems the price on that big good looking yellow gelding would have been a BIG red flag one way or another.
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-01-26 11:50 AM (#75321 - in reply to #75310)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by hounddog on 2008-01-26 8:43 AM

Seems the price on that big good looking yellow gelding would have been a BIG red flag one way or another.

Not really now days. I have seen some GOOD horses, some registered, go for just a few hundred dollars, people just trying to get rid of them going into winter, not wanting to feed them since feed has gotten so high.

Edited by longearsrule 2008-01-26 11:51 AM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-01-26 2:46 PM (#75332 - in reply to #74175)

Expert

I hear those storys but the REALLY good ones and GOOD LOOKING  ones I come across are still in the 2k up range.Two horse traders near here deal in the 2k and up and say most really nice ones bring $3500 give or take.Big drought here here also.I sold two long yearlings between chemo at 2k each and I had LOTS of offers of if I can HELP you I can give you a few hundered,see them at  the sale ALL the time now in that price.Then in 3 weeks they both sold.One was in Stable Mates couple months later riding with a asking price of 4k. If the photos do that yellow horse any justice and he rides as good as he looks I see $650 being a BIG RED FLAG.Now covered in mud or rain rot,skinny,washed out looking and rode like a horse that wasn't started well I can see $650.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-01-26 3:40 PM (#75335 - in reply to #74175)

Expert

My the person who put you both throught this go stright to hell and die a hunderedn time over
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-27 12:53 PM (#75381 - in reply to #75332)

Expert

Big drought here here also.I sold two long yearlings between chemo at 2k each and I had LOTS of offers of if I can HELP you I can give you a few hundered,see them at  the sale ALL the time now in that price.

I was told that same crap when I had my gelding up for sale.   I got my price for him and he went to a good home.  We sold him because when we moved we went from 10acres to 2 1/2 (land prices here are rediculous!) and didn't have room.  I had a guy offer me $400 for him to "help me clear some space".   I told him "were not THAT crowded".  A guy I work with told me I'd never get my price and was surprised when I did.

notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-01-27 6:07 PM (#75396 - in reply to #75381)

Veteran

It is a matter of just finding the right buyer, isn't it?  it's like selling anything...if you are in a hurry to sell people will lowball it and get a deal.  If you can keep up the horse for a while then you can certainly get your price(unless your expectations of your horse's quality are way too high!)
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-01-27 9:55 PM (#75417 - in reply to #74175)

Expert

I think its also the QUALITY of buyer.The fiily I sold went to another breeder/show person for a broodmare etc.They drove 600 miles to look and then bought.The colt was bought by a older gal whom owns a old established boarding training facility.The ones that offered me a few hundered dollars were more of the Saturday night sale type.One give me this long sermon about "Theres a DROUGHT going on! Nobody gots pasture or hay!" I said been through it before several times and hasn't made me have a fire sale yet.If anything my health was the issue not the hay.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-27 10:13 PM (#75419 - in reply to #75417)

Expert

Think I'd had to say to her: "SInce there's drought going on and no one's got pasture/hay,what are you doing here trying to take advantage? Wait until you have a serious illness,maybe I'll send some prospective buyers YOUR way,sister."
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-01-28 9:15 AM (#75430 - in reply to #74175)

Expert

Oh I had several tell me same thing in so many words.Some by e/mail in responce to my ads and one in person.The gal that owned the boarding/training barn and bought the colt started to hint at that and I interupted her and said don't even go down that road! I was asking $2500 for him and took $2000.She had a pleased look on her face and I did more or less also.I LIKED that colt! Can't keep them all.
acknetpossevol
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-29 1:47 PM (#75542 - in reply to #74175)

New User

This is a completely legitimate and COMMON situation.

The horse that Saddlebredlover is referring to was listed with Stolen Horse International, http://www.netposse.com/, several weeks ago. The legal owner had someone riding this horse for about a month. When she asked for the horse back, he claimed he'd taken the horse to a friend's in another state and would bring him back as soon as he had a chance. She persisted then became frantic realizing that he had no intentions of bringing the horse back. After filing with NetPosse, the owner did a lot of phone calling and tracked her horse between several states, finally locating Saddlebredlover. Because of the pending investigation and charges, I am limited to the details I can give.

Saddlebredlover was unaware the horse was not owned legally by the man she bought him from. This person was NOT the one who originally took the horse. The person that took the horse gave him to this person to settle a debt.

We hope that the legal owner of this horse and Saddlebredlover can work things out. While the horse was considered stolen by authorities and under NetPosse policies, there are reasons the owner is considering allowing Saddlebredlover to keep the horse, but for the price he is worth with papers. The horse was not up for sale at the time he was stolen, but there are circumstances that have occurred over the last six months that might make leaving the horse where he is the best option for all involved. And the horse is also located in another state.

Horse are constantly being stolen in criminal situations and in civil matters. When a horse is located, there are many circumstances to be considered as to how and if the horse can be recovered by the original owner. If there is a contractual agreement such as a boarding contract, lease agreement, sale agreement, etc., most law enforcement agencies will deem it a civil matter, and often the owner has to go to court to prove ownership and damages.

The owner of this horse intends to pursue criminal charges against the person responsible. Hopefully, she will be successful.

When Cheyenne (NC) was stolen and recovered 5 years later through a NetPosse flyer, this pony's owners intended to leave him with his current owner since their child had outgrown him. However, upon visiting Cheyenne, they knew they needed to take him home. He was getting older, and they never wanted to worry about him again. This was a criminal case, but so far no arrests in his theft.

Last year, Halo disappeared in WV after her owner gave her to someone to care for since she was having personal circumstances that affected her ability to care for the mare. There was a signed agreement stating she would be given the mare back if the caregiver needed to get rid of the mare. Instead of offering her back to the owner, the caretaker sold her at auction, then called the owner and claimed she had died. Only about 24 hours after the owner filed the report with NetPosse, Halo was found safe and sound in WV. This was after several leads indicated she had been sold to a killer buyer and shipped to Sugar Creek in Ohio. In fact, she was about to step foot on the trailer when a man bought her from the dealer. He knew she was too good of a horse to have that fate. And she is ... Halo is a well trained, registered Arabian. Because Halo was in a good home, her owner choose to leave her where she was.

There are hundreds more stories on NetPosse.com. Do you know your trainer? Do you know your vet? Do you know your farrier? Do you have a written sales, board or lease agreement?

Look through the stories on Netposse ... you will be amazed at the professionals, friends and family members that disappear with people's horses every single day. Don't think it can't happen to you.

Sincerely,

Angela

horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-01-29 7:04 PM (#75559 - in reply to #74175)

Veteran

WOW! This really makes me re-think myself! I have a horse that is in FL that is still mine leagally.I have her papers ,and just a verbal agreemant with the gal.(A very close friend of mine)She is leasing her with option to buy.All verbal agreemant.For all I know she could sell this horse right out from under me,and I would have no clue since I am here in MD.This is very scarey.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-01-29 7:10 PM (#75560 - in reply to #74175)

Expert

A horse hasn't left our property sold,borrowed or to try out without paperwork,sigs and if to try out insurance has to be in place in the last 6 years.
acknetpossevol
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-30 6:38 AM (#75579 - in reply to #75559)

New User

Originally written by horsecrazi on 2008-01-29 7:04 PM

WOW! This really makes me re-think myself! I have a horse that is in FL that is still mine leagally.I have her papers ,and just a verbal agreemant with the gal.(A very close friend of mine)She is leasing her with option to buy.All verbal agreemant.For all I know she could sell this horse right out from under me,and I would have no clue since I am here in MD.This is very scarey.

You get it! Yes, we receive emails and reports about this exact same situation constantly. Many a friendship has ended over just such an arrangement. One common scenario is for the barn manager/owner or caregiver to say the horse is dead and either buried or hauled off. This is usually a lie! Ask for PROOF! Put in any agreement where you entrust the horse to someone else's care that you need to be contacted if the horse falls ill and that you require paperwork from a vet regarding any care the horse receives, especially any you are asked to pay for. If the horse must be euthanized or dies, you need to note that paperwork must be provided (if you are close enough distance-wise, ask to be informed as soon as horse falls ill and/or before horse is euthanized) from vet putting the horse down and any company disposing of horse.

Also, please remember that paperwork is good, but laws vary from state to state and even with paperwork the owner often has to go to court since possession is still 9/10 of the law. When selling, never let the horse leave the property without (1) payment in full and (2) verification of LEGAL payment. We had one case where the woman was paid with fake money orders. http://www.netposse.com/stolenmissing/EmilyFLstolenAug07.htm

If you do allow the horse to leave on a lease or payment arrangement, be sure to have current pictures of the horse and solid paperwork (may want to check with an attorney on local laws and if it needs to be notarized).

NOTIFY the breed registry as well that this horse is out on lease or purchase agreement and that horse's registry is NOT to be transferred at all or until agreement fulfilled.

Have your horse branded or chipped for identification and proof of ownership! More on identification here: http://www.netposse.com/prevrec/horse_identification.htm

There is also info on how to obtain chips or other security products from our nonprofit.

Another thing to remember if you ship horses ... take pictures of the horse(s) before being transported and being loaded onto the trailer. Ask for pictures during shipping (if a long ride), and definitely when the horse arrived. Good transport companies shouldn't have a problem with this. Give authorization or emergency contact in case something happens during transport. NEVER send any registration papers WITH horse. Send these separately by certified mail.

We have a case where horse was shipping from PA to AZ. Horse fell sick during transport and shipper claims he died "somewhere" enroute. Shipper claims to have buried him in NM at their ranch. NO EVIDENCE of illness or death was ever provided. There was a 2nd horse being shipped to same people. Transporter REFUSED to unload 2nd horse until new owner paid balance for BOTH horses! So is this horse alive or dead? No one knows.

http://www.netposse.com/stolenmissing/HonorBoyMissingMay06.htm

GET REFERENCES for shippers! If something doesn't feel right, check it out!

It is our mission at NetPosse to help protect horses from theft, and to aid in the recovery of missing and stolen horses.

From the case that Saddlebredlover is involved in, you can see that horse theft often involves more than one victim. Do what you can to protect yourself from the heartache on both ends. Educate yourself and be an informed buyer and seller.

Angela

horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-01-30 5:21 PM (#75639 - in reply to #74175)

Veteran

Thanks for all the great info.I am just dumb founded by all this.You really do not hear of this much in my area.
I will say my horse I sent to my friend is papered and I have the papers ,and the horse does have a tatoo.I did pay a shipper.I was very happy with the shipper.She kept in complete contact with me ,and the gal she was being shipped to.My horse arrived in exellent condition.I guess we just got lucky there!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-01-30 11:30 PM (#75686 - in reply to #75639)

Expert

question ----if a horse goes from state to state is that  a Federal crime because it goes between states??? are the penalty more for Federal crime then state?? I would like to back to hanging horse thieves   
acknetpossevol
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-31 7:03 AM (#75694 - in reply to #74175)

New User

Unfortunately, it is hard enough to get the local police involved and certainly not federal. There seem to be no federal laws regarding theft. Of course, there could be OLD ones on the books (just like it really is still legal in some states to HANG horse thieves), but no one uses them.

This particular horse was in four states during this time period. So it would be nice if it could be federal, but the case usually is handled where the original "transaction" took place. In this situation, the horse originated in Indiana.

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-01-31 1:57 PM (#75735 - in reply to #74175)

Veteran

Haven't heard from anyone in a little while.  What was the outcome?  Did the lady get her horse back?  Did anyone go to jail?  Was there any justice out of this ordeal?  I hope there was.  Also thanks for all the advice.  I made sure that if anything happens to us.  We will have all the information needed to bring them back.  Longing for warmer days!

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-01-31 2:59 PM (#75740 - in reply to #75735)

Expert

does the price of the horse have anything to do with it Federal or not ???
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)