'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Do It Yourself-ers: Living Quarters in Trailer???

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-01 11:05 PM
101 replies, 35990 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

4everenbluejeans
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-08-05 7:04 AM (#65151 - in reply to #63050)
Subject: RE: Do It Yourself-ers: Living Quarters in Trailer???

WHY?  LOL so was your air mattress one of those nice ones that are designed to replace a bed for guests?  I have slept on one before, but not camping in a trailer.    I know why your fingers hurt, as I had to hand nail my paneling up.

My daughter got some denim for the seat cushion covers and some bandana print for the curtains.  She is ready to decorate and I am ready to just get done with the trim and cabinets.  Too bad she can't do the rest, it might make her understand a bit more about how hot and painful this project is.  I had her hold a board for me while I cut it.  This was the heavy stuff for the sub floor.  She closed her eyes because of the saw dust and let go of the board when I finished the cut.  I have a nice scrape and bruise on my shin.  I wanted to whack her with the board!  She is 30, not a little kid.    A RN to boot!  So at least I had good first aide care on hand if needed!  Needless to say, she held on better the next time.  I told her I could very well have dropped the board on myself if I had wanted to do so.

OK is expected to hit the 100's this week in our area.  I am sure glad the A/C is ready to use.  I figure I'll cancel riding lessons and get some things done in the house and in the trailer.  The heat makes it a great time to go to the sewing machine instead of the saw.

Oh, did you guys put carpet pad under your carpet in the nose or just use tape and lay it that way?  I have not gotten it yet, but am pretty close to ready.  I put a 1x4 for furring along the sides of the nose for a bit more strength where I felt the wall woudl be most likely to be bumped.  Furred around the windows with 1x4's too.  This gave more nailing places for window trim. 

OKC has some cabinet outlet stores and I am going to see what they have in blems that might work.  I am just concerned about size and weight.  I know a cabinet is just a box with doors, so not hard to build, but ready to go sounds so nice at this point.

have a great week

Jeanne

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-05 8:42 AM (#65156 - in reply to #65151)

Once we ripped out the existing carpet we put down carpet pad on the nose and I ran my carpet all the way down to the floor.  My carpenter is on the way to complete the wiring so we can plug in the AC.  I don't have a show for two more weeks and I hope we will be finished by then. 

I need to replace a rectangle piece of rubber matt in the horse part, does anyone know of a source to get this? I bet the shipping is tremendous on this, hopefully someplace local will help me out..

I also have "old school " colors on the stripping on my outer sides and would love to replace them with grey, black and charcoal.  I called a sign place and they didn't want anything to do with it, so I may call a custom car detailer to redo it.

Renee

Bells
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-06 9:15 AM (#65224 - in reply to #63050)

Veteran

I was a lot more succesful this weekend:)  Managed to trim out one window, found that a narrow, simple pine will work for the edging even around the curve, stained the sink cabinet and received my slant load 35-gallon water tank so paneled behind it and installed it. I am a happy camper:)
Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-06 1:53 PM (#65258 - in reply to #63050)

My storage cabinets at the end of the nose is are going in as I type, the Flat Screen TV/DVD mount is hung and waiting for the TV.. my entire ceiling is up, now it just needs the stripping to go over the joins. The PVC molding that I "thought" was so wonderful is wanting to crease in the bends, so maybe scoring it on the back side or heating with a heat gun will help it curve better.. 

Check out todays photos...

http://community.webshots.com/album/560187815uQnMVB

I'll keep yall posted...Renee

Edited by Renee9235 2007-08-06 7:51 PM
memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-08-07 11:50 PM (#65375 - in reply to #63050)

Veteran

I  want to thank everyone who answered my questions while I was working on my living quarters.  I am just about finished.  I have to be on the road with it on Thurs.  My brother is putting up the breaker box tomarrow.  Where should he run the ground wire to the frame?

I did use an old piece of paneling to cut my corner piece of my ceiling, saving me wasting a good sheet. I had to recut twice.   It made a good template. When I get home I will work on the molding.  I am sure that it will fustrate me.  What sizes of trim do people use, and what size around the windows?    Lynn

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-08 10:43 AM (#65405 - in reply to #65375)

Extreme Veteran

I'd find a Master Electrician and ask. I be wary of grounding the trailer to the 110v side, because you MAY find that the trailer becomes electrically charged should you have a ground fault. I know when I wired the pole shed, the Inspector didn't want the shed bonded through the sub-panel for this very reason. He had me drive ground rods.

Grounding and bonding is pretty confusing.

Dan

Bells
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-10 9:43 AM (#65550 - in reply to #63050)

Veteran

Finished trimming both windows last night and they look good!  Now to sand and stain them before the 1st camping trip since I started the work...
Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-10 10:06 PM (#65590 - in reply to #63050)

Well, my 5" foam mattress came in today, so now I'm about to make a slip cover for it.  I added rope around the LQ door window today with hot glue, I wound thread around the ends and cut the rope and then added hot glue to the end.  It looks great.  Tomorrow my molding goes up and hopefully my boot box goes in by Sunday PM...

My first show in it finished will be next weekend..I will take photos this weekend to share..Renee

4everenbluejeans
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-08-11 8:11 AM (#65603 - in reply to #63050)

Sounds like ya'll are moving faster than me!  Are you doing your own cabinets?  I started on mine this week.  I have the tall one in and am working on the short upper ones.  Doors?  Gosh, I wish I could find some ready made to work, but will suffer through them too!  I have made some blunders and keep thinking, hug your cabinet man today, if you have one.  He works hard!

The hardest part is leveling the stuff.  If the trailer is not perfect, you can't use a level.  I have been using a square and figured that should at least keep the cabinet square.  It's just a trailer, right?  The next one will be a 6' short wall, at least and I want to do it differently, like have someone else do the work!

However, this is a great exercise plan, I have found muscles I didn't know I had from laying on my back, stretching to nail the ceiling, crawling around the nose and weird bends to nail the corners, etc.  I keep thinking I'll get pictures, then I get so tired, I come in and forget the camera.

I have all the paneling in but the bit around the door.  I need to do some furring strips with glue and a strip of paneling with glue over the door where it is slanted.  that will be a job for when I am not in a hurry and won't be in there to smell the stuff. On second thought, do you think the fumes woudl make the job more fun?!

The boot box bed is done and I have the foam all covered with denim & the curtains are made!  I have the rope glued around for my crown moulding and even used it on the vertical seams.  I used my pruning nippers to cut it.  I didn't think about wrapping the ends with thread! Good idea.  I just put glue on the ends and called it good.  I might live to regret that one.

The carpet store had a nice plush rememant for $25!  I was tickled.  It was a bit more taupe than I wanted, but most of it will be covered with a mattress anyway, so it works.  The price was sure right.  It was the best deal I have come up with so far. 

My husband has a table saw and I have learned to use it for ripping and cutting.  I love it, except for the saw dust mess!  It palys with the alleriges.  I ripped my 2x4's to get my strips for hte ceiling seams and they went up fast yesterday.  Having the A/C running sure helps me stand it in there.  The tall cabinet will block the air to where I sleep some what, but it will be nice storage. 

My daughter has some left over tile from their new home and we thought about using it for our little counter top.  How has it held up with the movement of a trailer?  Any thoughts on this?  Should I prime the plywood before tiling it? I can set tile pretty good and it would sure be a nice way to go since I can do it and we have the materials on hand.  A 30" x 22" counter will be much inicer to do than a floor in sevearl rooms!

I am still stuck on the step up.  Might go with a little folding ladder that I can use at the shows as needed for hanging fans, etc.  It would serve a dual purpose. I want to preserve floor space for shavings and stuff that won't work in the pick up if we have a full trailer.

So far we have spent about $600, including the window A/C.  There was already a hole from the old one, so we went back that way.

We had to replace all the screens, hubby got new screws since the ones on the outside were rusted and that bugged him.  I got window mesh screens for the drop down, new rubber bumper stops, little things that add up.  The paneling, flooring, carpet, ceiling, wood, etc ahve bene the biggest expense.  I'll be glad when it is done and ready to camp in.  Hopefully by next week end, as we have a show.  It might not be finished, but close.

Well, time to feed the starving POA's, and start working on the cabinets again before it turns back to 100+ today.  have a great week end, enjoy your finished projects!

jeanne

Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-08-11 8:40 AM (#65604 - in reply to #63050)

Extreme Veteran

I didn't read all the posts as were headed out to Sea World in a few....

Here's mine:
http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=32

The bed is a full size futon with a down mattress topper over it.  I wanted to keep as much headroom as possible so that combo works great for me.

HAVE FUN!!

Edited by Dawnya 2007-08-11 8:42 AM
Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-11 9:17 AM (#65608 - in reply to #65604)

Dawnya, Awesome, doesn't if feel great to be finished.. I love the fabric you chose, I wish I could find pleasure horses like that.  I covered my boot box cushion with a Southwest fabric and what I thought would be easy took about four days to get it just right..now I fear that my boot box will be used just as a step up after all that work.

Do you fear that the heat of the DR when not used will undo any of the Liquid Nail welds or mess with your TV? Just a thought.  Renee

Have fun at SeaWorld, we went to Schlitterbaun and it was a welcome break

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-08-11 11:02 AM (#65612 - in reply to #65608)

Extreme Veteran

I know on my tilework I didn't prep the wood at all, but the space isn't that big either. I just used grout to set the tiles and then after they set I grouted inbetween. Cutting them was a pain but I didn't have many to cut and brought them to Lowes, where I bought them, and they cut them for me. If you have a Dremel with a cutting wheel, you can cut them with that.

Everybody has been so busy makes me want to go out and do something to mine. Till I get outside in the 100ยบ heat... :P

KDL
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-08-11 12:20 PM (#65616 - in reply to #65612)

I put down a 1/4" thick piece of cement board under my two tile counter tops. For the larger kitchen sink area I bought a piece that was 2' X 4' and not very expensive.  For the smaller bath sink area I used a piece of leftover concrete sidng from a house being built across the street and just turned the textured side down.  Screwed it down to the plywood counter top.  I have not had any trouble with cracking or anything like that.  I used a dual purpose mastick / grout for both laying the tile and grouting it.  It saved money because you can buy it already mixed in small tubs which was perfect for such a small job.
KDL
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-08-11 12:32 PM (#65617 - in reply to #65608)

Originally written by Renee9235 on 2007-08-11 9:17 AM

Dawnya, Awesome, doesn't if feel great to be finished.. I love the fabric you chose, I wish I could find pleasure horses like that.  I covered my boot box cushion with a Southwest fabric and what I thought would be easy took about four days to get it just right..now I fear that my boot box will be used just as a step up after all that work.

Do you fear that the heat of the DR when not used will undo any of the Liquid Nail welds or mess with your TV? Just a thought.  Renee

Renee,

I have had my TV in the trailer for a year now and I have had no trouble with it at all and it has been pretty hot here in central Texas.  Also, when I bought it I told the guy I was going to put it in an RV and he said that would not void the warranty at all and pointed out that these type TV's are put in custom car jobs all the time.  

Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-11 1:10 PM (#65618 - in reply to #63050)

Whew! that was good to hear about the TV/DVD, It was an investment and I hated to see it go bad.. 

We just had a major incident with the PVC molding for the top edge, that I thought was "incredible", when we went to bend it around the front corner it wrinkled and looked really bad, we tried to heat the back, score the back, flame the back and nothing worked..so because it is going over 2" strips of bead board I suggested cutting 2" strips of molding and tacking them up side by side like that..My carpenter just scratched his headand said, why didn't I think of that...so...we will see how it goes as the afternoon progresses.  Luckily the AC is in full cool mode and he's not a lobster yet..

Have an awesome weekend..Renee

Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-11 11:21 PM (#65646 - in reply to #63050)

Here is a link to the work that we did today.. Check it out..Renee

http://community.webshots.com/album/560253440RfoZQN

4everenbluejeans
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-08-12 8:22 AM (#65650 - in reply to #63050)

Great pictures!  I have almost gotten the cabinets done yesterday, as far as framed in.  Today I'll tackle my door frames.  It's wearing me out.  I know why the video I got has no sound during the taping, but a voice over instead! LOL

We have decided to stain the cabinets with a red barn look.  The cushions were a bit short after covering, so if you do cushions, make the foam about 1" longer than you need.  Once you get the fabric sewn and them stuffed, it is a bit shorter.  I am going to round the corner of hte fold up for the bed/boox box to avoid a sharp corner when it's up.

Got the plywood cut for the counter, it's only 29" long, so will tile it today.  I have a wet saw, so cutting isn't a problem.  I have set a lot of tile and doing a little counter will be the fun part after all the other stuff.  I think furring out the ceiling was the worse.  Those screws get hot!  Do not touch them for a while after drilling them in!

We think we have the carpet roll figured out.  I need to put another piece of wood on the wall.  I avoided going into that thick framing steel, but will have to glue something for the carpet to be nailed to.  Then we can add a moulding for the joint of carpet & paneling.

If iw as doig this over, I would have planned my cabinets first, then put furring strips in places where I needed them.  Instead, I had to work with the strips and that is a pain in the seat.

thanks for the links to pictures.  they are sure great to see!

Jeanne

LvEmStanding
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-08-13 5:26 PM (#65761 - in reply to #65646)

Originally written by Renee9235 on 2007-08-11 11:21 PM

Here is a link to the work that we did today.. Check it out..Renee

http://community.webshots.com/album/560253440RfoZQN

You have done a fantastic job!!  Your trailer is beatiful...where did you find that sink...I absolutely love it!

Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-13 9:31 PM (#65777 - in reply to #65761)

Updated link:  http://community.webshots.com/album/560280129DDXEwt

Thank you we are happy with it.. I got the sink on ebay it was from a seller called "Mexicopper" it took about four weeks to come in but it was worth it. They had an oval with horseheads, but it was way too big for my area.. I was worried that this one would be too big, but it is fine.  I had my trailer acid washed today and just went and put in the new quilt and pillows.. I think I'm gonna give it a trial run tonight.. School starts for me tomorrow so all the fun is about to end.. Thanks again.Renee

Edited by Renee9235 2007-08-13 11:16 PM
KDL
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-08-14 6:21 PM (#65841 - in reply to #65777)

Awesome! Very cozy.  I know you can't wait to use it.  I have been doing house cleaning in mine today.  Doesn't take very long.  Wish my house was that quick!

Congratulations,  great job.

Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-19 12:46 PM (#66107 - in reply to #63050)

Well, we had our first "OUTING" on Friday night, of course with Hurricane Dean bringing in rain it was wet, but the LQ was just fine.  My hubby got all the snacks and my son and I packed all the horse stuff.

We did fine, except putting the Microwave on while the AC and water heater was on tripped the breaker, but we figured that out really quick.  My cowboy shower was fun, I used clothes pins to put up the shower curtain and brought a rubber door mat to stand on and we did just fine.

My son who is 7 won his first 6th place in 13 & Under Showmanship against 13 others so it was well worth the weekend.. Thanks for your support on this forum, I really enjoy the photos, keep them coming...God is good...Renee

4everenbluejeans
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-08-19 1:25 PM (#66112 - in reply to #63050)

Way to go for your son!  I love it when the little kids do so well.  my grand daughter is 5 and missed her lead line classes yesterday because we were chillin in the trailer.  Follwoing the wrong schedule!  So she rode in 8 & under.  She had a blast and felt pretyt grown up.  She got 2nd out of two! LOL But she loves red ribobns and sometimes wants pink instead of blue!

We had our first outing too.  I don't have everything finished, but figured a week end would tell me what to change.  Light!  We need more light.  I also should have packed a blanket becasue the A/C blew on me and I had to keep it cool for the ones in the goose neck.  I took the fold out bed. At night the barn lights kept me awake so I hung a towel over the curtains.  I am going to make some panels that I can add with clothes pins for sleeping. 

I got some rope light and will run that around the ceiling and it will help, plus look neat.  We also put a swing out lamp on the cabinet end so it lights up the counter or goos nicely.  If I was doing this again, first, I would wait until fall to tackle it and be cooler.  then I woudl have more lighting.  I knew it would take an act of congress to get my guys to help, so I went with what was easy for them.  Next time they won't be so lucky!

I'll post shots at www.hobbyacres.homestead.com/trailer   I have to go make the page first, but it should be done sometime today.

happy week end.  Hope ya'll don't get too wet,  there is major flooding in OK, but we are fine, as we are out further west.  We got 5" last night!

jeanne

Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-19 9:09 PM (#66133 - in reply to #63050)

Jeanne, I got some placemats at WalMart that were thickly woven and put a spring rod on my windows and draped three placemats over them.. There was no light coming through, I tacked them with several knots of thread, no real sewing and stenciled stars on them.. My hubby said it was like a cave, and yes we had several blankets on to keep cool.  Its neat that our first outing was both on the same weekend.. Renee
MBG
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-01 12:46 AM (#66980 - in reply to #65010)

New User

I have found this site to be wonderful for advice!  I saw your toilet/shower- I have not seen this one before.  Do you mind if I ask the brand, and where you found it?  Also, how big is the area that you are putting your quarters in?  I have 4.5' on the short wall, and 7 on the long- BUT the door is on the curb side, making it hard to come up with a plan.  Thank you so much.MBG  ohtoremember@yahoo.com
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-09-01 4:11 AM (#66981 - in reply to #65617)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by KDL on 2007-08-11 12:32 PM

Originally written by Renee9235 on 2007-08-11 9:17 AM

Renee,

I have had my TV in the trailer for a year now and I have had no trouble with it at all and it has been pretty hot here in central Texas.  Also, when I bought it I told the guy I was going to put it in an RV and he said that would not void the warranty at all and pointed out that these type TV's are put in custom car jobs all the time.  

No probems with the paneling and Liquid Nails.
If it's real hot outside (Texas hot) and all the windows are closed, I can smell the glue a little.

I also leave my LCD TV in there 24/7 unless it gets real cold, for the same reason - they leave LCD's in vehicles!

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)