'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Whatta Mess ! and how did we get in this basket?

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-27 8:25 PM
184 replies, 33503 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-09 10:12 PM (#92858 - in reply to #92743)
Subject: RE: Whatta Mess ! and how did we get in this basket?

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-10-08 12:25 AM

Originally written by Yvette on 2008-10-08 11:18 AM

Iraq neither aided nor abetted the conspirators of 9-11. Actually most were Saudi. Go figure. Well, at least not until we attacked them. It's one of those lies that Bush and his cronies so subtly kept going by saying things like, and I quote, "Iraq had nothing to do with 911, but we must remember 911." Yup nothing like slight of hand.

There's a news column that printed The following more or less quote: In a study they found that 47% of Americans believe Iraq was involved in the nine eleven attack. Now we know how many people aren't paying attention.

Yvette ... Why do you say that "Iraq neither aided nor abetted the conspirators of 9-11." What published information says so. Can you give an example? (Other than "it's a Bush lie")

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/11/AR2007091102316.html

More Bush slight of hand. There may have been contact, but there was NO collaboration.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50679-2004Jun17.html

http://www.truthout.org/article/iraq-and-911-the-truth-is-out

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0314/p02s01-woiq.html

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/attack/140133_bushiraq18.html

BTW, remember who funded Osama Bin Laden from the start? That would have been Reagan and Bush Sr. So, you may say they collaborated with al Qaeda as well in that context.

Edited by Yvette 2008-10-09 10:16 PM

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-09 11:12 PM (#92862 - in reply to #92858)

Expert

Originally written by Yvette on 2008-10-09 9:12 AM

BTW, remember who funded Osama Bin Laden from the start? That would have been Reagan and Bush Sr. So, you may say they collaborated with al Qaeda as well in that context.

Yvette ... Thanks for the links.. reading through them. I agree that Iraq was not involved in the actual 9/11 attack. 

BUT that is not the issue.  Sleight of hand on your part indeed ! 

Here's a quote from one of your links.  "President says Saddam had ties to al-Qaida, but apparently not to attacks"

Remember my post ?

To say Iraq under SH had nothing to do with 9/11 is false if you can allow a single point.  Aiding and abetting a criminal involves a person in a crime.  So, aiding and abetting any of the conspirators to 9/11 involved Iraq in 9/11.  I can say there is ample proof AQ people were in Iraq in the period leading to 9/11.  Google it

AQ is the attacker and Iraq under SH was aiding and abetting AQ.    SO Iraq under SH was involved.  Not the attacker. But involved as a supporter.  Then, in your proposed criminal justice response to terror attacks, this linkage is appropriate and customary.

As for your last response.  American support to Osama Bin Laden and the Afghan resistance was not aid to AQ.  Nor was aid to Iraq during the Iran/Iraq war.   It was aid to an enemy of America's enemy (at the time... USSR and then Iran)  Situations change.  Obama has demonstrated he doesn't change when the facts change.  He still believes America should precipitously withdraw from Iraq.  He was wrong about the surge strategy (I couldn't restrain myself from that dig)

That OBS attacked America is just the nature of the dog that bites the hand that fed it.

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-12 11:21 AM (#92928 - in reply to #92862)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-10-09 11:12 PM

Yvette ... Thanks for the links.. reading through them. I agree that Iraq was not involved in the actual 9/11 attack. BUT that is not the issue.

Actually, that was the issue. No slight of hand on my part at all, mere truth. OK, perhaps a bit of cynicism and sarcasm. Remember who was shakiing Saddam's hand and selling him weapons and chemicals and helicopters in the eighties and I can tell you it wasn't Carter. OK, we were also arming Iran and Afghanistan back then too. When you make your bed you best be prepared to sleep in it. We can only hope someone washes the sheets soon.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-12 11:35 AM (#92929 - in reply to #92928)

Expert

Originally written by Yvette on 2008-10-12 2:39 AM

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-10-09 11:12 PM

Yvette ... Thanks for the links.. reading through them. I agree that Iraq was not involved in the actual 9/11 attack. BUT that is not the issue.

Actually, that was the issue. No slight of hand on my part at all, mere truth. OK, perhaps a bit of cynicism and sarcasm. Remember who was shakiing Saddam's hand and selling him weapons and chemicals and helicopters in the eighties and I can tell you it wasn't Carter. OK, we were also arming Iran and Afghanistan back then too. When you make your bed you best be prepared to sleep in it. We can only hope someone washes the sheets soon.

We'll just have to agree to disagree... I hope there will be sheets to wash if a President Obama allows the defense of the country to join the taxpayers in the hand basket.  

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-12 3:33 PM (#92940 - in reply to #92929)

Regular

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-10-12 9:35 AM

We'll just have to agree to disagree... I hope there will be sheets to wash if a President Obama allows the defense of the country to join the taxpayers in the hand basket.  

There is a difference between "defense" and "offense", and before someone brings out that tired old sports adage, war isn't a football game. ;)

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-12 4:46 PM (#92945 - in reply to #92940)

Expert

Originally written by FrancaV on 2008-10-12 1:33 AM

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-10-12 9:35 AM

There is a difference between "defense" and "offense", and before someone brings out that tired old sports adage, war isn't a football game. ;)

FrancaV ... I'm glad you agree that we are engaged in a "War" as differentiated from a criminal "action"

Therefore preemptive action is justified and required as outlined by the preamble of our constitution.  (I assume you're an American citizen, when I use the term "our")
FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-12 5:32 PM (#92947 - in reply to #92945)

Regular

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-10-12 2:46 PM

FrancaV ... I'm glad you agree that we are engaged in a "War" as differentiated from a criminal "action"

Therefore preemptive action is justified and required as outlined by the preamble of our constitution.  (I assume you're an American citizen, when I use the term "our")

You already know I agree it's a war because I've said so more than once. I don't acknowledge that Iraq had anything to do with the attacks on 9/11 or that preemptive action against Iraq was required or justified. We don't agree on your interpretation of the constitution as it pertains to this situation.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-12 6:08 PM (#92948 - in reply to #92947)

Expert

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-12 6:23 PM (#92951 - in reply to #92947)

Expert

Originally written by FrancaV on 2008-10-12 3:32 AM

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-10-12 2:46 PM

You already know I agree it's a war because I've said so more than once. I don't acknowledge that Iraq had anything to do with the attacks on 9/11 or that preemptive action against Iraq was required or justified. We don't agree on your interpretation of the constitution as it pertains to this situation.

I made a mistake when I said the preamble requires action.  It isn't law since it doesn't require anything.  It just provides context.

What does require action... Is the President's oath of office.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

He is required to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution and by inference the US of A.  If he/she doesn't, then he is negligent or worse.

Neither you or I get to determine what action is required.  Only the President as COC.  I am supporting the only person with the legal right to make the decisions for preemptive action.

How does your interpretation of the Constitution, says the Iraq actions were improper?

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-10-13 10:20 AM (#92970 - in reply to #92467)

Elite Veteran

When the president takes the oath he (she) places their hand on the Bible. Would Obama use the koran? Will he begin wearing a USA flag lapel pin? Would he have the flag taken off Air Force One as he did his own plane? Or would he even begin to place his hand over his heart and recite the Pledge of Allegience? Just wondering.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-13 10:37 AM (#92973 - in reply to #92970)

Expert

Originally written by genebob on 2008-10-13 3:40 AM

When the president takes the oath he (she) places their hand on the Bible. Would Obama use the koran? Will he begin wearing a USA flag lapel pin? Would he have the flag taken off Air Force One as he did his own plane? Or would he even begin to place his hand over his heart and recite the Pledge of Allegience? Just wondering.

Genebob ... I wouldn't care if Obama swore on a stack of pancakes if he chose.  Or if he wore a turban as he recited the oath of office.  Or he doesn't "look" like me (He doesn't, nor likely you look like me either.) Obama played the "Race" card ...

I do care that his past actions indicate a level of gov't way beyond my comfort.  He has been associated with ACORN, A group whose actions trend toward the illegal.  There are other reasons I judge him to be the least choice in this election.  (I welcome Private Messages if anyone cares to know)

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-10-13 11:09 AM (#92977 - in reply to #92467)

Expert

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-13 1:17 PM (#92985 - in reply to #92970)

Regular

Originally written by genebob on 2008-10-13 8:20 AM

When the president takes the oath he (she) places their hand on the Bible. Would Obama use the koran?

Why would he do that?

Will he begin wearing a USA flag lapel pin?

Why does this matter?

Would he have the flag taken off Air Force One as he did his own plane? Or would he even begin to place his hand over his heart and recite the Pledge of Allegiance? Just wondering.

Believe me, I get all of the same inaccurate and misleading emails you do. I refuse to be spoonfed by chain emails started by people who will say anything to get one candidate into office or keep the other one out - people who are willing to spread hatred, fear, and lies for reasons I cannot begin to understand.

We need to turn up our BS meters and research this stuff for ourselves. If we allow this to continue the terrorists have already won. The horrendous loss of life on 9/11 was only the means to an end. The purpose was to create the fear and paranoia that continues to this day. They resented our country's feeling of well-being and security and they set out to take it away. Every freedom that has been taken away from us in response to the events of 9/11, every dollar spent on homeland security within our borders and on military action outside our borders - all part of the plan. The terrorists don't care what's happening in Iraq or Afghanistan - to them it's All Good. The further the paranoia spreads the better. Life is cheap, even among their own ranks. OK, here's food for more paranoia: terrorists are so good at hiding - who do we think will be left to run things if countries all go to war and blow each other up?

There was a great old Twilight Zone episode that would be just as relevant today as it was when it first ran.

www.snopes.com
www.factcheck.org

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-13 1:56 PM (#92988 - in reply to #92985)

Expert

Originally written by FrancaV on 2008-10-13 12:43 AM

We need to turn up our BS meters and research this stuff for ourselves. If we allow this to continue the terrorists have already won. The horrendous loss of life on 9/11 was only the means to an end. The purpose was to create the fear and paranoia that continues to this day. They resented our country's feeling of well-being and security and they set out to take it away. Every freedom that has been taken away from us in response to the events of 9/11, every dollar spent on homeland security within our borders and on military action outside our borders - all part of the plan. The terrorists don't care what's happening in Iraq or Afghanistan - to them it's All Good. The further the paranoia spreads the better. Life is cheap, even among their own ranks. OK, here's food for more paranoia: terrorists are so good at hiding - who do we think will be left to run things if countries all go to war and blow each other up? 

FrancaV  ... Your last post is a bit scary.    I can agree with most of it (quoted above)

For your rhetorical questions... Definitely research stuff on your own.  The media has it's own filter and bias.  Bias is not bad.  But to act out and speak one's bias while proclaiming otherwise is dishonest. 

I don't deny some of our freedom has been lost via the terror war.  I make sure my socks don't have holes when flying now.  In the war against Islamic-fascism some freedoms must be restricted.  Otherwise those same freedoms, like the airplanes in 9/11, will be commandeered to harm us.

As to your last question... The Islamic terrorists have a vision of everybody living like the 8th century.  There was no need for a gov't or wide spread transport or communication.   Everyone was living dirt poor in the dirt around them. 

No one has to run anything.  Except the local Mullahs, they will run or ruin your life. 

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-10-13 7:05 PM (#93005 - in reply to #92467)

Extreme Veteran

I have bee gone for a few days and am just now catching up on the debate.  I really don't give a rat's eyelash what someone's religious beliefs are.  This nation was founded on the premise of religious freedom.  That to me means whatever floats your boat, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. I don't care if the President takes the oath of office with his hand on the bible or a roll of toilet paper, it is all the same to me.  What does matter is that he uphold the Constitution, that he puts America's welfare above all else.  I sincerely doubt that the attack on Iraq was in our best interests.  It is amazing to me that the US supplied the equipment, knowledge, and money to allow Saddam to use biological weapons on innocent civilians as long as those civilians were his own people or Iranians.  Then when Bush wanted to justify his war he was suddenly opposed to biological warfare and used that as his excuse.  And what is even more obnoxious it the fact that we bought into his game lock, stock and barrel.  Go figure!

Marla

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-13 7:49 PM (#93010 - in reply to #93005)

Expert

Originally written by Marla on 2008-10-13 5:05 AM

It is amazing to me that the US supplied the equipment, knowledge, and money to allow Saddam to use biological weapons on innocent civilians as long as those civilians were his own people or Iranians.  Then when Bush wanted to justify his war he was suddenly opposed to biological warfare and used that as his excuse.  And what is even more obnoxious it the fact that we bought into his game lock, stock and barrel.  Go figure!

Marla

Okay  Marla ... Until you wrote "sincerely"  I could support and agree with you.   Your post just begs for confirmation.  Credibility is all we have on the Internet.  Please post some verifiable source for your statement.

"...US supplied the equipment, knowledge, and money to allow Saddam to use biological weapons on innocent civilians as long as those civilians were his own people or Iranians. "   

Was it American gov't policy that you accuse of providing Bio weapons or are you speaking of medical equipment? 

There is a huge difference.  I can use a machine center to make farm machinery or use the same to make a weapon.

Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-10-13 8:40 PM (#93012 - in reply to #92631)

Veteran

Originally written by FrancaV on 2008-10-05 8:45 PM

There is no doubt that we are at war with Iraq - a war that we started...

Ever heard of UN Resolution 687? That's the one that Iraq signed following the Gulf War that Saddam Hussein, not the United States, initiated. Under international law, the resolution was a "formal cease fire," meaning that the Gulf War that Saddam started really never ended, and would not end unless and until Iraq's Baath government unconditionally met all of the terms within UN Resolution 687. That word "unconditionally" has specific meaning.

One of the most important terms was number 32, which said: "Requires Iraq to inform the Security Council that it will not commit or support any act of international terrorism or allow any organization directed towards commission of such acts to operate within its territory and to condemn unequivocally and renounce all acts, methods and practices of terrorism."

It is a fact that Saddam's government paid $25,000 to every family of every Palestinian suicide bomber who attacked Israel. It was even published in Iraq's state newspaper.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2846365.stm

As we all know, this is not the only term of 687 that Saddam violated. Most terms were never met even with the many weakening conditions and consessions granted by the UN that undermined the entire resolution, much less unconditionally. Instead, Saddam flagrantly violated the Resolution's terms over the course of the next 12 years. Subsequent resolutions...688 (1991), 707 (1991)1, 715 (1991), 986 (1995), and 1284 (1999), were also violated. It's no wonder Saddam operated as if there were no consequences to his actions.

The last resolution, number 1441, which by the way passed UNANIMOUSLY in the UN Security Council, gave the U.S.-led coalition total legal authority to force Saddam from power. It was really unnecessary from an international law perspective, since the allies only needed the authority granted by the original 687 to resume the war that Saddam initiated, as they had been for over a decade.

Unfortunately, corrupt world leaders on the take from the so-called oil for food scam were doing everything in their power to keep from upsetting their lucrative dealings with Saddam, and the weapons inspections, stalling, delays and even 1441 were all just yet more attempts at maintaining the corrupt status quo. It didn't work.

The United States didn't start the Iraq war. It is finishing it, though...thanks to the Bush presidency, and no thanks to the cut and run Democrats.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-10-14 6:59 AM (#93021 - in reply to #92467)

Expert

Great post, Towfoo. It will be interesting to see how the Kool-Aid drinkers respond to it.

Edited by HWBar 2008-10-14 7:00 AM
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-14 7:15 AM (#93022 - in reply to #92467)

Extreme Veteran

Obama does not practice, nor has ever practiced the Muslim religion. Yes, he wore the local clothes on a political trip. My very Bohemian Grandfather posed in a Kilt et all in Scotland during WWII, does that make him a Scotsman?

As stated by Marla, FrancaV and myself based on fact the USA supported Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan with weapons of both the conventional and chemical type until Saddam made the mistake of invading Kuwait, which was a bad move, but somewhat understandable since they were drilling oil on his side of the boarder by angling under the boarder. However he should have taken it up diplomatically before invading a UN nation.

It is very scary what people will believe. I nearly died of laughter by the look of embarrasment he had when that WT lady told him after reading things on the internet that she was afraid of Obama because he's an Arab. LOL Yup, gotta love the well informed. Anyone tell these people he grew up in Hawaii? Hello?

Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-10-14 8:18 AM (#93023 - in reply to #93022)

Veteran

Originally written by Yvette on 2008-10-14 7:15 AM
...Saddam made the mistake of invading Kuwait, which was a bad move, but somewhat understandable since they were drilling oil on his side of the boarder by angling under the boarder.

If Saddam was only concerned about slant drilling, why didn't he just take out the border wells instead of crushing the entire country and proclaiming it part of Iraq, then staging for a military invasion of the eastern coastal oil fields in Saudi Arabia that would put him in control over the jugular vein of the world's energy supply? Ok, so it's a rhetorical question.

It seems strange to me how otherwise rational people can believe that Saddam's unilateral invasion of Kuwait was "somewhat understandable," but somehow the UN-authorized takedown of a megalomaniacal dictator--who repeatedly violated international laws, openly funded terrorism, ordered people fed into shredder machines, children killed in front of their parents, well heads blown up to create the largest ecological disaster in human history, intentionally shot scud missiles into civilian population centers, ordered the assassination of a former US president (that almost succeeded), and made no secret of his designs to destroy Israel and become the next Saladin of the Middle East--was entirely unjustified. In other words, Saddam was an otherwise nice, rational guy who was just misunderstood, while Bush is a lying, greedy, evil warmonger. [head scratching emoticon goes here]

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-10-14 12:06 PM (#93035 - in reply to #93023)

Expert

Originally written by Towfoo on 2008-10-14 8:18 AM

Originally written by Yvette on 2008-10-14 7:15 AM
...Saddam made the mistake of invading Kuwait, which was a bad move, but somewhat understandable since they were drilling oil on his side of the boarder by angling under the boarder.

Saddam was an otherwise nice, rational guy who was just misunderstood, while Bush is a lying, greedy, evil warmonger. [head scratching emoticon goes here]

Yup,..........That's what the Kool-Aid kids think.

Edited by HWBar 2008-10-14 12:08 PM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-14 4:24 PM (#93050 - in reply to #93022)

Expert

Originally written by Yvette on 2008-10-14 6:45 AM

based on fact the USA supported Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan with weapons of both the conventional and chemical type until Saddam made the mistake of invading Kuwait, which was a bad move, but somewhat understandable since they were drilling oil on his side of the boarder by angling under the boarder. However he should have taken it up diplomatically before invading a UN nation.

It is very scary what people will believe.

Yvette ... It is indeed, very scary to me what you believe about our country without verified fact.

The Internet has been  invaluable to me in separating hearsay from fact. 

Help me see the facts to which Marla, FancaV and yourself believe in.  As for conventional weapons, they were supplied at different times to either our allies or enemy of our enemy.  People, places, and regimes change.   We trade today with Germany, Japan and Vietnam... Don't keep fighting the last war. 

What chemical weapon was supplied to anyone??

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-10-14 5:13 PM (#93051 - in reply to #92467)

Extreme Veteran

I don't remember anyone on this thread saying that Saddam and his henchmen were decent human beings.  Just the opposite has been stated many times.  They were brutal, disgusting excuses for humans, but were they a threat to American security?  The following websites may prove enlightening for some regarding the influence of America, Britian, and Italy in arming Saddam.  This is not hearsay, this is fact.  The US has been crapping in it's own nest for many years.  The same thing that happened with Saddam happened in Somalia, and US troops were killed by the very weapons our government supplied to the warlords.  And as long as the CIA needed the funds from the Nicaraguan drug trade, things were just peachy, but when the scheme was uncovered and Noriega was no longer an asset, he wound up in an American prison.  The pattern just keeps repeating itself.  The people who dream up these policies are as morally bankrupt as the regimes they work against.  I can't help but wonder : If those policymakers children were likely to face the business end of a weapon, would they make the same decisions?  And before anyone accuses me of being un-American, let me tell you that I know very well the sacrifices required to keep this nation free and assure me the freedoms I cherish.  I come from a family of 10 sons who have all served in the military.  My father served in the south pacific in WWII, two of my brothers served in Vietnam, one in Panama and in Grenada, another in Korea, and the rest in the two Gulf wars and in Afganistan.

WWW.counterpunch.org

www.greenleft.org.au

www.breitbart.com

www.iranchamber.com

www.globalpolicy.com

Marla

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-10-14 7:40 PM (#93057 - in reply to #92467)

Expert

Marla, you might want to go give your brothers and other family members that served a big hug, because someone with your anti-government views living under the dictatorships that you defend would be dead. You can thank all veterans for your right to stand up and just be wrong. I'll just say that 14 times Sadam broke the UN resolution pertaining to him. You think that is OK, I don't.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-14 8:23 PM (#93059 - in reply to #93051)

Expert

Originally written by Marla on 2008-10-14 3:13 AM

http://www.counterpunch.org/  General McCain bashing site

http://www.greenleft.org.au/  "Radical" Newspaper

http://www.breitbart.com/  General news site

http://www.iranchamber.com/  Iran culture site

http://www.globalpolicy.com/  Business consultants

Marla

Marla .. Each of those links had nothing on Chemical weapons supplied by the US to IRAQ under SH.

I would characterize most of them as kool-aid for the deranged.   I'm still asking and looking for verifiable facts.

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)