'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trouble hauling through Iowa
[Frozen]

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-21 3:15 PM
196 replies, 45963 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh Frozen
Message format

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-30 12:53 PM (#66841 - in reply to #66684)
Subject: RE: Trouble hauling through Iowa

ok I'll bite....How the h--l did officer 394 know where a rig was going or where it had been PRIOR to the stop?

Is this part of the new warrantless wiretapping?  Since when did horsepeople become terrorists?

POOP on IOWA

I too am curious about the source of Rick's information

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-30 12:58 PM (#66842 - in reply to #66684)

for PaulChristenson

The brand inspector who refused to come in S Dakota admitted to us that only 2 horses had been reported stolen in the previous two years

Besides, what would a thief do with a stolen horse?  The killers aren't buying and the recreational horse market is in the basement.  Thieves, while maybe not the smartest people around, usually only steal stuff they can quickly convert into cash.

rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-30 1:19 PM (#66844 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

Hey all -
Rick here. The post under my name with all the 'inside' information was added to the thread by someone who was there and wanted to respond. I wasn't there and I don't personally know anything about the situation. I live in Iowa, drive an F350 and pull a LQ trailer, and I don't have a Class A license and don't believe I need one. Apparently the federal regulation has to do with hauling horses for profit, but who decides what constitutes profit is anybody's guess....from what I'm reading about the mess, I'm so relieved that I just trail ride!
ROPE14U
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-08-30 1:34 PM (#66851 - in reply to #66684)

And the plot thickens!!!!!!!
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-08-30 2:28 PM (#66852 - in reply to #66844)

Elite Veteran

So you are ok with someone hijacking your user name to post something you don't agree with?  How about you tell us what you do know about this anonymous poster - how did he/she come to have the information shared?

Originally written by rick on 2007-08-30 11:19 AM

Hey all - Rick here. The post under my name with all the 'inside' information was added to the thread by someone who was there and wanted to respond. I wasn't there and I don't personally know anything about the situation. I live in Iowa, drive an F350 and pull a LQ trailer, and I don't have a Class A license and don't believe I need one. Apparently the federal regulation has to do with hauling horses for profit, but who decides what constitutes profit is anybody's guess....from what I'm reading about the mess, I'm so relieved that I just trail ride!

rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-30 2:42 PM (#66854 - in reply to #66852)

Regular

I forwarded the original post to this person because he was familiar with the situation and he asked if he could use my log on to reply and I gave him permission to do so. For whatever reason, he didn't identify himself when he posted; if he wants to post again and fill you guys in, so be it, but I'm staying out of it from now on. All I know is that I hope that I never get stopped while hauling horses because my wife is so protective of them she would freak out if they had to stand in the heat while we were getting our tickets! Rick 
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-30 4:27 PM (#66862 - in reply to #66854)

Expert

I would not only freak out over my horses having to wait in the heat,but,freak out over what I perceive to be unfair and harassing and twisting/tweaking of a law that was designed for truck drivers/ freight haulers and clearly people hauling for commercial purposes.Not folks going down the road pulling a horse trailer with some horses they like to ride in the back.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-30 4:37 PM (#66864 - in reply to #66862)

Expert

I wonder how officers of the law of the highway could construe that you would be hauling for profit if you were taking a mare to be bred? We've kept most of the colts that we have ever bred our mare for,and if we did sell one,h---,4-5 years down the road after it's born,do they even remember that particular incident? Doubtful.

Are they possibly trying to catch haulers for profit that have bought regular rigs to get around having to go through all the proper channels?

"I don't know where people come up with this stuff" Quote

H----- YAH! DITTO! You mean like government agents that don't have enough to do to justify their jobs so they make up stuff? THOSE kinds of people?????

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-08-30 4:41 PM (#66865 - in reply to #66684)

Expert

4.   Horse Trailer World reserves the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you. 

According to the rules of this website...can I ask who posted under Rick's account?

Or do we have to complain first???....

Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-30 8:22 PM (#66874 - in reply to #66684)

Veteran

Oh, c'mon Paul, do we really have to ask?  It's clear as crystal to all of us, there were only a few people there at this little "pow-wow" on the side of the highway, and I dare say that keeponhaulin' didn't post under ricks name.  This whole ordeal is just a crock of crap, and who gave this super-trooper the right to decide weather or not this is a hobby, like was already stated, he had no idea where they were coming from or where they were going when he made the stop.  They weren't speeding, they didn't have a busted windshield, they weren't doing anything other than pullin' their beloved partners (their horses) somewhere to spend some time with them.  What the hell.... a "knowledgeable employee" of the IN. D.O.T. told me personaly that if they have it thier way every mom or dad that hauls the backyard pony to 4-H practice once a week will have to have everything that us professional truck drivers do, yup D.O.T. physicals, C.D.L's, vehicle inspections and all!  Now that is going way beyond the whole commercial, makein' money, for hire or not for hire, tax deductions or not, business or hobby arguement.  Oh boy, this is a real hot spot for me, realy gets my blood boilin'.  Ya know, it's not gonna be long till there's checkpoints at all the state borders and we will have to have permits and get little booklets stamped when we enter or leave the state.  Then we can all call each other "comrad"!  Then for "him" to come on here and try to justify what he did and is probably still doing every day of the week........ grrrr.  Ah hell, I'd better go get a drink and calm down, talk to y'all later...
keeponhaulin'
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-30 9:14 PM (#66881 - in reply to #66684)

Hey Y'all, I really appreciate all of your input and enthusiasm on this issue.  It's going to take all us getting together to do something about these regulations.  I am sending out emails to all the organizations I can think of.  If you would like to be included please email me at my address and I will stick you on my list.  Also, you will then have all the email addresses I have and can send your own emails.  I believe the more emails we can get in the better.  I am also working on a website so it will be easier to access information, but I don't know how soon I will have that up and running.  Please, let me know if I have left out an organization or if you have any ideas.

Here is the email address   keeponhaulin@yahoo.com

Edited by keeponhaulin' 2007-08-30 9:19 PM
ROPE14U
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-08-30 9:54 PM (#66884 - in reply to #66684)

So I am supposedly adding value to my horses by hauling them to a roping??  Well guess what.........that would only apply should I sell them.  I have yet to sell one of them.  This is a crock and I guess should I be pulled over hauling to a roping in Iowa I will be heading trail riding in the Loess Hills.  Another thing.....don't you have to have probable cause to pull someone over??  I know in Nebraska you do.  I pulled into the weigh station just outside of Nebraska City this summer after just leaving Iowa.  I wondered if I even needed to so I went in and asked the trooper if I indeed needed to pull in.  He said I did, thanked me for stopping and told me to have a nice day.  He even gave me my weights as I was pulling a new trailer and wondered what my loaded weight was. 
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-30 10:21 PM (#66886 - in reply to #66884)

Expert

We pulled into one up in Missouri one time right after we got our LQ trailer.We thought maybe we should,we didn't know.THe guys in the weigh station looked at us,and called out "Something the matter?" We shook our heads,and one came out,and said,"What are you doing?" We said,"We thought we were supposed to stop here." He said,"Hell,lady,youall don't belong in here,this is for truckers and over the road haulers! Now go on,and have a nice trip,there's folks waiting in line behind you!"

We felt like a couple of dummies.I've NEVER seen a horse trailer sitting at a weigh station since.I see them fly by them in Missouri Arkansas (when you can find one) ect.and never stop.We're not stopping at the next one,either.

dblhocker
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-31 8:19 AM (#66895 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

Rope14u, since you are going to a roping, you have a chance to win money, which means you are participating in commerce (that's the DOT's definition, not mine), therefore you would fall under the regulations of needing a CDL and all of the other regulations that go along with that.

In Iowa, the signs by the weigh stations say all vehicles over 10,000 lbs must weigh. When I asked the officer of the DOT who spoke at the Iowa horse fair about this, he said they want you to pull in, and most of the time, they will then wave you on through. However, you can be fined if you don't stop. I noticed at the weigh scales in Nebraska, it states on the signs that all pickups with livestock trailers must weigh, but then it states that recreational vehicles are exempt.

If you do a search on here regarding CDL, you'll notice that this issue isn't new, it seems to resurface about every 6 months or so.
inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-08-31 8:36 AM (#66897 - in reply to #66684)

Veteran

OK, A while back in Washington state wife and I were going up to Langley BC to pick up her new horse. There is a weight station on I-5 that has the electronic pull in signs if they want you. We rolled in and rolled out. Sign told us to pull in but then they just sent us on the way. We pull a 31 foo extra wide and tall for the warmbloods we ride. May have been the height that set off the signs. Have never heard of a problem out here in Washingon like this.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-08-31 9:07 AM (#66898 - in reply to #66684)

Extreme Veteran

Gotta love public boards dontcha? My thinking is, and I'm thinking Rick's friend may protest, is Officer Friendly was having a bad day and took it out on some horse people towing a nice trailer. I mean really three hours on the side of the highway? That's an unreasonable amount of detainment without being arrested for a 'real' crime. And sheesh, profit??? Especially at the amature level.  Many shows you are lucky if you get a purdy ribbon.

I took my old horse to a team penning a couple of years ago. Drew a team that came in second and after paying the mandatory practice rounds and round robin rounds I still had to pay $8. LOL OK that had something to do with them decided to pay out to three places rather than the normal two. Anyway, let's see that's a negative profit of $8 plus fuel costs and not even a pretty ribbon to take home. Yup, definitely in it for the money.  Gotta say, it was a fun time and worth every penny.

I think some clarification needs to be put in the books to prevent further harrassment of horse owners on the highways. In the mean time I'll be glad I'm only towing a 16' stock trailer and well under combined weight of truck and trailer of 26000 lbs

reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-08-31 9:25 AM (#66901 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

I know when I started asking questions when I moved to OH, I was told my two State Highway Patrol officers that how you answered their questions was one of the most important things. Although I show reiners, you can bet when I get asked by a trooper where I'm headed the answer is going to be "to a trail ride on my uncle's farm"!

I've been trying to get a straight answer out of the state of OH for 3 years from the SHP, the PUCO and DOT and the only consistent response I have received has been from a high ranking officer in the SHP, "It really depends on which officer pulls you over. Some feel a need to make an example and others are just trying to do their job, not necessarily make your day any tougher." Secondly, he said any determination by the officer is based on your answers to the standard questions regarding your destination and what you are going to do when you get there. It is important that you give the correct answer here!

Typically they want to know if you own the truck & trailer and all the horses in it. Then they ask where you are headed.

Finally, they told me that sponsorship identification or farm/business names or logos also ID your vehicle as a potential commercial vehicle. As a result, the only logo on my new trailer says "ELITE"!

The bottom line is that individuals hauling horse trailers seem to fall into a grey area that makes us subject to the attitude of the officer pulling us over.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-31 9:33 AM (#66903 - in reply to #66901)

Expert

That's what I gleaned after wading through the regs on the website of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Administration.The website that keeponhaulin provided on the first page of the thread.

It does say the weight stipulations of the vehicle,the trailers being towed,ect.But it does say "For Commerce."

ANd it depends on whether you get stopped by a Barney Fife or an Andy,looks to me like,and all in how they want to make the call.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-08-31 9:34 AM
Iowa NBHA Webmaster
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-31 11:58 AM (#66914 - in reply to #66684)

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law - Cite This Source

Main Entry: comĀ·merce
Function: noun
1 : the exchange or buying and selling of goods, commodities, property, or services esp. on a large scale and involving transportation from place to place

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-31 12:40 PM (#66917 - in reply to #66684)

Hey Rick

Why does your "friend" have to hide behind your skirts?  Sounds to me like he is in fact officer 394......and qualifies as a complete bag of s--t.  I repeat POOP ON IOWA

And again HOW THE HELL DOES A COP KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING PRIOR TO THE STOP     Rick how about asking your "friend" this

Broken Bit said a mouthfull.....HOWDY COMRAD

ROPE14U
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-08-31 12:45 PM (#66918 - in reply to #66684)

dblhocker......yes roping is very profitable.............I figure any saddle or buckle I win will only of cost me about $20,000. 
dblhocker
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-31 1:22 PM (#66925 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

Rope14U, you sound like me. I don't want to add up how much I spend to have the chance to win a little prize money....if I did, it would scare the heck out of me!

Let's see, USTRC card, $80........roping saddle, $1500.....roping horse, $7500.....chance to win a $50 buckle, priceless!
rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-31 1:25 PM (#66926 - in reply to #66917)

Regular

Why does your "friend" have to hide behind your skirts?

Hey - I don't wear a skirt!! I do wear riding tights, though, so I suppose some may feel that might be headed in the general direction of skirt-wearing ...

I just did my own research on this and what "I" was told by someone who should be 'in the know', according to federal law, if you make $1 while using your rig (and it doesn't matter if it cost you $500 to make that $1), you are considered a commercial enterprise. I know, I know, it's the dumbest damn thing ever, and about 98% of us are probably in violation if that's true, but it's the way it's being interpreted by many a law officer and agency. Like someone suggested earlier, the best thing to do is be headed to or home from a trail ride at your uncle's farm, no matter what you're actually doing with your horses.

As for the question on HOW THE HELL DOES A COP KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING PRIOR TO THE STOP...s/he doesn't need to know. If you're driving a big pickup and pulling a big trailer, you are fair game for DOT/MCSAP scrutiny. As for the traffic stop that started this thread, there are probably many details that we who weren't there don't know, so I'm not going to make any judgements either way. A thank you to those of you who have stayed rational during the whole discussion and didn't just badmouth Iowa or cops in general, but instead offered helpful info or shared examples of how laws apparently are often written in a way that seems to confuse even the people who are supposed to enforce them.

Heading out to my uncle's farm to go for a ride,
Rick

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-31 1:31 PM (#66927 - in reply to #66901)

Expert

Originally written by reinergirl on 2007-08-31 8:25 AM

he said any determination by the officer is based on your answers to the standard questions regarding your destination and what you are going to do when you get there. It is important that you give the correct answer here!

Typically they want to know if you own the truck & trailer and all the horses in it. Then they ask where you are headed.

The bottom line is that individuals hauling horse trailers seem to fall into a grey area that makes us subject to the attitude of the officer pulling us over.   

I'd like to know under what authority, does a police officer have to ask where are you going?  Is there a limit to a citizen traveling on a public road?

keeponhaulin'
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-31 2:15 PM (#66930 - in reply to #66684)

Dearest Rick,

It would not benefit any of us who pull trailers if the story I told was a lie or if I omitted any details.  That is exactly what happened.  Hook up your trailer and go for a drive down I-29 through Hamilton county and see what happens to you. 

Edited by keeponhaulin' 2007-08-31 2:17 PM
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World