'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Do It Yourself-ers: Living Quarters in Trailer???

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-01 11:05 PM
101 replies, 35989 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

KDL
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-08-02 1:51 PM (#64918 - in reply to #64876)
Subject: RE: Do It Yourself-ers: Living Quarters in Trailer???

Wow!  I am so impressed and proud that so many women have taken on the DIY living quarters construction (with a little/lot of help from our hubbies).  We rock!

To answer the question about attaching the paneling to fur strips, we used a brad nail gun that takes various length brad nails.  5/8" to 1- 1/2" I think.  The thickness of your paneling will determine how long the brads should be.  We got a great deal on a package for compressor, brad nailer, and other various accessories at Home Depot for about $150.  We also used it for many other things during the construction.  The cost of the nail gun and compressor was well worth it when you consider how quickly the paneling can go up and the brads barely show.  The compressor has come in handy for so many other things since then.  

FYI: I spoke to a conversion company about doing my ceiling before I got the courage to do it myself.  She said that construction adhesive that is available on the retail market will not hold for trailer walls and ceilings in the heat in the South.  They buy some super-duper adhesive but did not offer to tell me what it was or where to get it.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bells
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-02 2:34 PM (#64924 - in reply to #63050)

Veteran

For glue use what Todd suggested:

PL Polyurethane Contractors Adhesive.  Greatest stuff ever - everything sticks and stays up.  I'm in NM so it is really hot but every thing is staying in place.

Rose

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-08-02 2:48 PM (#64927 - in reply to #63050)

Expert

Hey does that come in a caulking style tube for application,...very good to know!
Bells
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-02 2:50 PM (#64928 - in reply to #63050)

Veteran

Yes it is a caulking style tube:)
KDL
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-08-02 4:39 PM (#64936 - in reply to #63050)

Bells, it sounds like you have used this stuff before.  How quickly did it set up?  Did you have to apply pressure for an extended period of time?  I want to insulate and put a ceiling in the stall area of my trailer next, with the same white pvc panels I used to make the walls of my shower.  Do you think it would hold in that kind of heat?   
Bells
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-02 4:44 PM (#64937 - in reply to #63050)

Veteran

When I did the ceiling it set up pretty much right away.  I did use some duck tape to hold the insulation up and then a few hours later came back and removed the duck tape.  When I put in the paneling I also used some along w/staples/brads and didn't use the tape.  

I have to admit I'm not sure if it would stand up in the horse area - I don't think it would fall but I'd still be nervous.  I guess you could always try it in an empty area one summer and watch and see?  Todd (http://todd.redwrench.com/) might be a better person to ask about the horse area and how safe it would be. 

Edited by Bells 2007-08-02 4:53 PM
Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-02 5:29 PM (#64945 - in reply to #63050)

Well, its about time for me to start thinking of bedding. Any suggestions on weather an air mattress is the way to go or a regular mattress. My area will hold a double bed mattress with room to spare. Hubby wants an air mattress, I say regular, give me some ideas to justify my idea.. Thanks again..Renee
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-08-02 5:41 PM (#64946 - in reply to #64945)

Expert

Just remind him that air beds can go flat in the middle of a camping trip.  A regular mattress won't.  I have a regular one in my dressing room and enclosed it in one of those water proof covers.
KDL
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-08-02 6:06 PM (#64947 - in reply to #63050)

Renee,

I have a regular type short-queen mattress I ordered from an RV catalog.  If I could do it over, I would just get a slab of good foam made for that purpose.  The mattress is so thick, it makes it extra hard to get up in it and it took up valuable head room.  And it is as hard as a rock.  It was too expensive to start over.  So choose your mattress carefully.  Not too thick, not too hard, etc.

Years ago when I first got my trailer, my daughter and I slept on an air mattress - one time.  It kept going flat in the middle of the night, and there are NO insulating qualities in an air mattress, and it was COLD.  So, unless you insulated the heck out of the floor in your upper area, you might not want an air mattress either.   

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-08-02 6:55 PM (#64951 - in reply to #63050)

Expert

The air mattress is hot in summer(think sweaty sticky) and cold in very cold weather.  I myself like a regular mattress.  We have a queen size in ours (husband is quite tall) and like it very well.
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-02 7:05 PM (#64953 - in reply to #63050)

Extreme Veteran

My trailer came with a queen size foam mattress...4 inches thick I think. I got a foam mattress pad from Wally World in king size and put under it, cut to fit the shape of the gooseneck. Then I got a slab of foam from Academy Sports, cut it in half and put a piece on either side of the mattress. So now the mattress fills the entire gooseneck. I don't have cabinets up there. It is very comfortable. My next thing may be one of those memory foam toppers for it.
Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-02 8:49 PM (#64957 - in reply to #64945)

Cool beans everyone...thanks for the tips..I wandered why I froze at a show in March on my air mattress with no heat. That was before I realized my AC had a "heat strip"..  I guess you live and learn.  Renee
4everenbluejeans
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-08-03 6:31 AM (#64990 - in reply to #63050)

So it sounds like my thoughts on an ari bed was not a good one!  thanks for the heads up.  This list is great. 

Was the 4" of foam about right or did you wish you had more?  I am getting close to having the nose finished out and will get the bed in as soon as I can.  My fold out bed/box thing will need a custom cut foam for seating and to sleep on.  I considered 4".  Would that be about right?  Academy sports has foam?  Are these designed for just camping?  I was wondering about Hancocks fabric store foam.  Od you think it might be too light weight?

wea re trying to decide on a way to get up in the noses.  I want the floor space and don't have a ton of room for steps.  any thoughts? At first we were going to build a small box for a step/storage near the counter, and use the counter to hlep us up, but the A/C is right near there and sticks out a lot.  I was stuck with it's location and so am wokring around that.

Friens came over with their trailer and yep, the new ones are made differently and probably easier to re do.  Something to sure think about for the next one.

Have a great week end...Jeanne

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-08-03 8:40 AM (#64998 - in reply to #63050)

Extreme Veteran

Love this site for DYI ideas. For my mattress, I use a queen size mattress from a sofa bed that my good friend gave me. I used to take the mattress out of my family room sofa bed, but then nobody could sit on the sofa when I was away with my trailer. The mattress is about 4" thick and although it's not the most comfortable when in the sofa bed, it's great in the gooseneck because it's sitting on a rigid flat surface (no springs). It's not so thick that it takes up head room.

I have a question about putting in furring strips... Can you glue them up? I'm so not wanting to screw into my aluminum supports. Also, my hubby thinks the particle board cabinets from Lowes or Home Depot will not hold up as well as solid wood. Is there a good source for solid wood cabinets that anyone could recommend?
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-03 9:29 AM (#65002 - in reply to #63050)

Extreme Veteran

The 4" foam is fine. Since there aren't any springs or anything to 'feel' under the foam it works great.

Hancock fabric has foam, but it is much more expensive than Academy. Yes, it is in the camping section.

I made my own boot box/step, too. It is in 3 sections that I put in one at a time to save me having to carry a huge box. The short wall is 4 feet, so there is no room there for the box to have any size. I made that section a triangle. The next section is a rectangle, the third another triangle because I wanted to be able to utilize the space under the counter. Each section has a separate top that is on a hinge and covered with carpet. The I forget the height, but the first 2 sections are a good height to sit on, or step up on. I am short, and that height wouldn't get me into the bed, so I made the last section about 11 inches taller. That is my step into the bed. I should take a photo.

Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-03 9:39 AM (#65003 - in reply to #65002)

Yes, please take a photo, my boot box is one of the last things to be put in, I have te frame already, it has a place in the front for two doors to access it.  but I  trying to figure out how to cover my electrical box and use it as a step up too. Oh, we are having a TaxFree weekend so I'm off to buy my moulding and some odds and ends today.. Renee
SLZ
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-03 9:39 AM (#65004 - in reply to #64924)

New User

I have a new used Featherlite that is bare and am considering insulating. What do you use as insulation?  I read about the foil bubble but do you use one layer of the thin foam or two and do you use the thicker styrafoam on the walls?  I have found so much useful info on this forum already and would appreciate some help.

Thanks so much.

Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-03 10:59 AM (#65010 - in reply to #63050)

Extreme Veteran

I put together some photos of my Exiss trailer LQ that I have remodelled. I hope the link works! Please let me know if it doesn't.

It was a pretty basic weekender when I got it. I took out the carpet and put down plywood and a vinyl floor. Added small cabinets. Took out the fridge and made that a cabinet...I hardly used the fridge. Added 'tin' to the kitchen. Made a microwave cabinet. Built the bootbox/step. There was NONE before. Built the TV stand/cabinet. Put in luaun covered in faux tooled leather...I did all the gluing of the fabric. Added shelves. I did ALL the work myself. My husband is no handyman!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v120/yorkhrse/My%20horse%20trailer/

Password is guest

Edited by Linda Y 2007-08-03 12:05 PM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-08-03 11:17 AM (#65012 - in reply to #63050)

Expert

the link says it is private and asks to login with a password......
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-03 12:06 PM (#65014 - in reply to #63050)

Extreme Veteran

Try the password guest. Let me know if that works!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v120/yorkhrse/My%20horse%20trailer/

KDL
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-08-03 2:05 PM (#65029 - in reply to #64990)

Originally written by 4everenbluejeans on 2007-08-03 6:31 AM

So it sounds like my thoughts on an ari bed was not a good one!  thanks for the heads up.  This list is great. 

Was the 4" of foam about right or did you wish you had more?  I am getting close to having the nose finished out and will get the bed in as soon as I can.  My fold out bed/box thing will need a custom cut foam for seating and to sleep on.  I considered 4".  Would that be about right?  Academy sports has foam?  Are these designed for just camping?  I was wondering about Hancocks fabric store foam.  Od you think it might be too light weight?

wea re trying to decide on a way to get up in the noses.  I want the floor space and don't have a ton of room for steps.  any thoughts? At first we were going to build a small box for a step/storage near the counter, and use the counter to hlep us up, but the A/C is right near there and sticks out a lot.  I was stuck with it's location and so am wokring around that.

Friens came over with their trailer and yep, the new ones are made differently and probably easier to re do.  Something to sure think about for the next one.

Have a great week end...Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

Here is a link to a website that sells upholstery supplies.  http://www.garysupholstery.com/upholstery-foam.html  They sell foam for every thing.  It is not only the thickness, but the density of the foam.  They explain this very well and make suggestions for which foam to use for different applications.  I got 5" foam for my sofa/bench seat, but unknowingly went overboard on the density because I didn't want it to "bottom out" when you sit down.  Now it is a little too high and too hard.  Wish I had seen this before I bought mine from a local upholstery supply shop.  

As for step ups, my bottom step the same heighth as my sofa/bench.  I left it open underneath at the front and found a basket which fits really well, and when lined with a bag,  makes a perfect trash receptacle.  The 2nd step is a separate box on top of that, 1/2 the size, and the carpeted top comes off for storing small things like CD's, DVD's, etc.  When closed, it doesn't look like the top comes off , so it is a great spot for hiding things like keys and wallets while at the shows.  Just an idea for you to make the most of every inch of floor.   I think this link will take you to a photo.   http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2319330000100973377yeaEOv

Denise

Renee9235
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-03 8:13 PM (#65070 - in reply to #63050)

I talked my cousin today and she highly recommended the "Memory Foam"  type mattress, and  said I can get it cut any size locally. She suggested the 4" size.  She is very familiar with it because she uses a thicker grade to cover and make "Western Style" furniture. 

She also said that it was under $300 dollars, which is reasonable. 

Luckily my conversion for my wiring came in today, so hopefully my AC will be back on in my LQ tomorrow. I got the PVC molding to go around the corners today and need to figure out a way to secure the Flat Screen TV so that it won't topple over.  It is on an oval base with a neck then the screen attaches to that.  I really didn't want to attach it to the wall, so we will need to work on that too. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Renee

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-08-03 11:23 PM (#65083 - in reply to #64990)

Expert

I remember seeing a picture of a fold out step.  It folded flat up against the jack wall and when you wanted to get up in bed you just pulled it out.  I'll try to find the link for it.

Here it is.  If the link doesn't work google JNJ Conversions.  Its in the pictures of the 10ft short wall, picture 6.

Jhttp://www.jnjtrailersales.com/photoalbum.asp?id=54444&page=1

Edited by Terri 2007-08-03 11:34 PM
4everenbluejeans
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-08-04 12:04 PM (#65103 - in reply to #63050)

Great trailer pictures!  I am about done with the paneling.  I made a major goof yesterday, so used that piece on the door.  I need one more sheet and the paneling will be up.  Hubby got the wiring done today and we have the A/C in, but not secured yet for the road.  I framed out the goos windows with a split 1x4 and it turned out good.  I made those go up with screws in case I had to take the window frames out to e repair screens some day.  The bed/box is nearly done and I am ready to get going on the cabimets.  I do need some help on how to do the carpet roll over the wall.  I framed that little wall out with 2x2's because I wanted more than just the alumimun wall for support.  I put the top one down about 3" or so to avoid running into the thick angle braces and also becasue I needed a board there for the A/C support.  Now what?  Any ideas? 

I have decided that I woudl rather hang paper 5 days in a row than spend 1 hour cutting paneling to fit about outlets, etc!  I used some side walk chalk on one today to help mark it.  That worked pretty well.

It has turned terribly hot here, upper 90's with humidity and so I work a bit and then come in to cool off.  I try to ride in the early morning or eves, so I don't always get much done.  Bit by bit is my motto on this project.  The house is a mess and I havene't cooked much since I started! LOL Great for weight loss.

TTYL

Jeanne

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-08-04 11:57 PM (#65146 - in reply to #65103)

Extreme Veteran

Good Grief,

Everybody had been so busy!!! Everything looking great.
As far as air mattress. Use it once when it's about 40ºF at night and you'll throw it out the next morning after you freeze and get 0 sleep. (Don't ask me how I know this). we have a 12" futon mattress and it's very comfy and is fairly easy to get in and out if need be.

I'd thought about using rope as a molding. My wife likes the idea, ust haven't done it yet. I would glue gun it up and also use tacks. Tacks would hold it up and you can get some very decorative tacks if you look around for them.

Wish I would've had my compressor with a brad nailer when i did my paneling. Did mine by hand... with a small hammer... my fingers sometime hurt afterward... don't ask me why.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)