'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Whatta Mess ! and how did we get in this basket?

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-27 8:25 PM
184 replies, 33504 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-10-05 7:40 PM (#92627 - in reply to #92624)
Subject: RE: Whatta Mess ! and how did we get in this basket?

Expert

Originally written by rose on 2008-10-05 7:25 PM
 Anyway, back to Obama. If he can make CitiBank run like a scalded dog just by filing a lawsuit, then I definitely want him to be President. I expect him to make Iraq and Iran run off and hide.....

I assume this was a joke, any enemy of the USA is hoping to get Obama for a president. I'll bet alot of cash on this one. There is a big difference between a Court Room and a Battlefield. One takes a combination of lies and trickery, one takes courage and might.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-05 8:34 PM (#92628 - in reply to #92626)

Expert

Originally written by rose on 2008-10-05 9:29 PM

From my too long of a post above:

"... my experience from both sides of the courtroom (representing plaintiffs and defendant insurance co/companies, as of now for 29 years) "...

Ah ...  Rose ... You're a slippery one.  lol...  I too have represented companies, just not as a lawyer or legal counsel ...

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-05 8:41 PM (#92629 - in reply to #92624)

Expert

Originally written by rose on 2008-10-05 9:25 PM

Anyway, back to Obama. If he can make CitiBank run like a scalded dog just by filing a lawsuit, then I definitely want him to be President. I expect him to make Iraq and Iran run off and hide.....

Rose .. As I read about the case, Obama  played a small part in the Citibank case. 

What about Obama makes you expect Iran to run & hide if Obama were to be President?  (On the contrary, Iraq is an ally of the USA at the moment.   We have no desire for them to run or hide)

Edited for syntax

Edited by hosspuller 2008-10-05 8:44 PM
FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-05 8:45 PM (#92631 - in reply to #92605)

Regular

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-10-05 11:42 AM

So by that.. You mis-spoke.  You meant America's unilateral war.

A key distinction is being ignored.  War is different that Crime.  Crime is only responded to by society after the fact.  A person can say mean things to you all day, But you can't stop him.  Only after that person says something that steps over the lawful line can society act.

In a war (And we are at WAR.  More Americans were killed 9/11 than the other sneak attack at Pearl Harbor) society MUST act preemptively to protect us.

Nobody is ignoring the key distinction. The distinction is the whole point. I can tell already that we will not agree on this, but the terrorist attacks on 9/11 were a crime. A truly heinous crime on a grander scale than this country has ever experienced, but a crime nonetheless. You might as well call the Oklahoma City bombing an act of war. But of course it wasn't; it was a domestic terrorist attack. Your example of Pearl Harbor is comparing apples and pears. There was an identifiable country behind the attack on Pearl Harbor. There was no country behind the 9/11 attacks. Instead there was a highly organized and well-funded network of fringe fanatics behind the attacks who remain, to this day (unlike Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols), unfound and unpunished. Perhaps if we had continued to track them down as criminals we would have had more success.

You cannot wage war on terror or terrorism, no matter how desperately some people want to believe you can. Wanting it doesn't make it so. You cannot bomb terror out of existence. Bombing creates terror; it doesn't destroy it.

There is no doubt that we are at war with Iraq - a war that we started - but I fail to see a true connection between it and the attacks on 9/11.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-05 9:45 PM (#92635 - in reply to #92631)

Expert

Originally written by FrancaV on 2008-10-05 10:45 PM

Nobody is ignoring the key distinction. The distinction is the whole point. I can tell already that we will not agree on this, but the terrorist attacks on 9/11 were a crime. A truly heinous crime on a grander scale than this country has ever experienced, but a crime nonetheless. You might as well call the Oklahoma City bombing an act of war. But of course it wasn't; it was a domestic terrorist attack. Your example of Pearl Harbor is comparing apples and pears. There was an identifiable country behind the attack on Pearl Harbor. There was no country behind the 9/11 attacks. Instead there was a highly organized and well-funded network of fringe fanatics behind the attacks who remain, to this day (unlike Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols), unfound and unpunished. Perhaps if we had continued to track them down as criminals we would have had more success. You cannot wage war on terror or terrorism, no matter how desperately some people want to believe you can. Wanting it doesn't make it so. You cannot bomb terror out of existence. Bombing creates terror; it doesn't destroy it. There is no doubt that we are at war with Iraq - a war that we started - but I fail to see a true connection between it and the attacks on 9/11.

Yes, we will not agree on this distinction.  Don't be like a lot of the generals in the early years of this war.  Fighting the last war.  It is not the same. There is no war between countries as you said. 

But let's test some ideas.  Without a safe base of some kind to train, recruit, finance, plan, etc.  The people that attacked on us 9/11 would be just a bunch of nuts yelling words of hate.  Without resources, their words have no meaning.   So, any country that uses or allows their sovereignty to protect attackers are subject to attack.  This is a basic principle of war, deny your enemy sources of supply & support. 

As criminals... The 19(?) perpetrators of the attack were killed in the attack.  Who should be prosecuted??  Their families?  Their mother?

You spoke of "This network of "fringe fanatics ... unfound and unpunished"  They didn't do anything criminal in the United States.  They are outside the USA border.  Our laws do not apply.  Especially ... if they are in a country that doesn't "Like" our life style or "whatever"   How should America find and punish them?  Secret hit squads? (I'm kidding)

You cannot wage war on terror or terrorism, no matter how desperately some people want to believe you can. Wanting it doesn't make it so. You cannot bomb terror out of existence. Bombing creates terror; it doesn't destroy it.

On this we agree.  President BUSH has done a piss poor job of labeling cause and educating people in the war.

As for the bombing, our military has done their very best to keep from killing non-combatants.  That's the purpose of the Geneva conventions.  Clearly identify the combatants to prevent collateral killing.  Atomic, gas, bio, warfare is clearly not able to selectively fight.   Any hostile force not clearly identified is subject to summery execution.  That we have Gitmo is a Testament to our intent.  According to the Geneva Conventions most of the inmates could have been executed with their weapon in hand.

As for the connection, the blindest are those that don't wish to see.

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-05 9:47 PM (#92636 - in reply to #92467)

Extreme Veteran

Wow, interesting trailer talk. So how many foolishly believe Iraq had anything to do with 911? Frankly I wanted to vote for Kucinich, much as I like Obama. I'll admit it. McCain and Palin offer absolutely nothing for the average Americans future. Neither will tell us their plan or a hint that they really have a plan. They are like a couple of 10 year olds running around saying we are Mavericks without knowing what the word really means. OK, Palin is making me think that I should run for Governor sometime. Anyway, all they offer is the direction we are heading towards a totalitarian society enforced by Big Brother. Only the top 10 percent should vote for them. The Republicans just ain't what they used to be.

Our biggest problem is the thing our forefathers feared and that was a large oppressing government. That is what they fought so hard to separate from in the revolution. We need political reform, where the people actually have a say in government. Not you elected me, so what I say is what you want. We need to get rid of ridiculously high pensions for people that serve a term or two in any office. If they expect me to work until I'm at least 62 and they would prefer that to be 72 before I retire, guess what buddy I expect the same of you. If social security and medicaid is good enough for me, it should be good enough for them.

Common, they (and I mean all of them) deregulate that which should be regulated then strive to regulate that which doesn't need to be.

BTW the riders on the bail out piss me off too. Something that important should not have any riders attached to it. From what I've been able to fathom BOTH sides are guilty of that. Adding, not that I think it's going to make one iota of difference in the long run.

If they really want to stabilize the economy they need to stabilize fuel and energy costs. People are not going to spend when they don't know how much they are going to need to keep warm, cool, get to work and eat. Threats of $10 a gallon fuel, does not make one want to go out and buy a new car or especially truck, does it? Especially when people are losing jobs at an alarming rate.

Edited by Yvette 2008-10-05 9:50 PM

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-10-05 9:59 PM (#92637 - in reply to #92467)

Elite Veteran

I just have to chime in. My mother worked in the Savings an Loan for 40 years. She broke the glass ceiling by working her way up from teller to president. She retired in 1987 cursing her life long party ( the Republicans) for deregulating the banking industry. She died in February after switching back again, after the Democrats basically forced banks to give loans to people who did not and could not deserve them. Her simple motto was always tell people "don't borrow more than you can afford to repay." At her wake, I was constantly reminded of this by people she had helped by either giving them a loan or denying the loan. Mom spent her last Christmas lamenting all the foreclosures happening and saying that it would bring down the banks because of this legislation. I can only hope that she isn't sitting in heaven with a tear in her eye over forced lending practices.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-05 10:07 PM (#92638 - in reply to #92636)

Expert

Originally written by Yvette on 2008-10-05 11:47 PM

...Wow, interesting trailer talk. So how many foolishly believe Iraq had anything to do with 911? Frankly I wanted to vote for Kucinich, much as I like Obama. 

Yes... I've expressed my thanks to the site for allowing an off-topic discussion.  Those that don't wish to participate may ...

To say Iraq under SH had nothing to do with 9/11 is false if you can allow a single point.  Aiding and abetting a criminal involves a person in a crime.  So, aiding and abetting any of the conspirators to 9/11 involved Iraq in 9/11.  I can say there is ample proof AQ people were in Iraq in the period leading to 9/11.  Google it.

Mc Cain wasn't my first choice either.  Voting this November is like leadership.  You have to make a clear choice...  "Present" isn't one of them.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-10-05 10:55 PM (#92645 - in reply to #92467)

Expert

the  problem is the no money down, no credit check. people got to buy home and they could not afford them ,then there home were a taken away that is  the real crime .these people real thought that they could buy a home but the  bank lied to them and took there hope away
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-10-06 12:11 AM (#92648 - in reply to #92467)

Expert

Basically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L00TQ-DhlI

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-10-06 9:51 AM (#92653 - in reply to #92467)

Elite Veteran

loveduffy-The bank didn't lie to them. They were following the rules set forth. Yes, the bank gave them the loan with the high probability that they couldn't afford it, but the law says you can't turn them down. The people probably bought the house thinking that the market would continue to rise and they would be alright. But, unfortunatly the market took a down turn. My guess is that many took out an interest only variable interest loan and therefore didn't have any equity in their homes. Banks DON'T TAKE the homes away! When borrowers don't make payments, they really shouldn't expect to be able to live there for free. After talking to my banker he tells me that if the borrowers came to them and told them of their problems, the bank would try to help them out by renegotiating the loan or even delaying payment for a while. It's the ones who ignored the bank who got foreclosed on.
Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-06 1:33 PM (#92661 - in reply to #92467)

Veteran

Well I am never one shy about voicing my opinion even if I get berated.

All I have to say is that anyone who is working and paying taxes better think twice about voting for Obama and his "Economic Justice".   On the other hand, if you don't want to work and have the government pay for everything - welfare, food stamps, and free health insurance then by all means vote for Obama.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-06 4:27 PM (#92667 - in reply to #92661)

Expert

Originally written by Texas Butch on 2008-10-06 12:33 AM

Well I am never one shy about voicing my opinion even if I get berated.

All I have to say is that anyone who is working and paying taxes better think twice about voting for Obama and his "Economic Justice".   On the other hand, if you don't want to work and have the government pay for everything - welfare, food stamps, and free health insurance then by all means vote for Obama.

The words for this thread are civil discussion.  There will be some back and forth exchanges, but I hope, no berating

The markets are taking another plunge today.  Everybody with a 401K and such is wondering why their retirement pool looks like a toilet.   This is just another way the sub-prime mess is robbing the prudent savers.

I read this on another site. ..."Middle America was mugged by irresponsible loan practices sanctioned by the federal government before the bailout legislation was passed. They are being robbed again. With the passage of the bailout legislation, the potential for the middle class to be robbed again is very real."... 

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-10-06 4:50 PM (#92668 - in reply to #92467)

Expert

You may want to read about CREDIT DEFAULT SWAPS!!!
The centerpiece of the financial disaster...
And the real danger is that we don't even have a clue on how much of this voodoo financial vehicle is out there!!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/05/60minutes/main4502454.sht...
FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-06 5:10 PM (#92669 - in reply to #92635)

Regular

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-10-05 7:45 PM

As for the bombing, our military has done their very best to keep from killing non-combatants.  That's the purpose of the Geneva conventions.  Clearly identify the combatants to prevent collateral killing.  Atomic, gas, bio, warfare is clearly not able to selectively fight.  Any hostile force not clearly identified is subject to summery execution.

You've described one of the aspects of war that makes it so convenient in this situation. If you call it a war you don't have to prove the guilt of those you think you've identified as "hostiles", and any innocents you kill become "collateral damage" and "acceptable losses". So sorry, we didn't mean to kill you ... apologies (if they were even forthcoming) would be no comfort to me if my family were obliterated by a bombing "mistake".

Criminal investigations need to commence immediately; wars, on the other hand, should not be begun in haste.

As for the connection, the blindest are those that don't wish to see.

I would love to see a connection clear enough and significant enough to start a war over. But I do not, nor did most of our allies. Time was a-wasting, it seems, and cooler heads did not prevail. Instead of harnessing the power of perhaps the greatest international outpouring of support this country has ever been offered, we just blew it off.

There is not enough money in the world to adequately compensate the next president, whoever he may be, for the work needed to repair the damage done to the economy, foreign relations, as well as the American psyche from the politics of fear over the past eight years. Perhaps neither candidate is up to this monstrous task but one of them has shown no indication that he will lead us down a different path from the disastrous one we've already been following for two terms.
FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-10-06 5:13 PM (#92670 - in reply to #92667)

Regular

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-10-06 2:27 PM

The words for this thread are civil discussion.  There will be some back and forth exchanges, but I hope, no berating

I agree - no berating need occur! An impressively civil discussion thus far....
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-10-06 8:29 PM (#92676 - in reply to #92467)

Extreme Veteran

If this war with Iraq had been based on truth instead of lies I would wholeheartedly support it.  It was not based on truth, and as a result we took our eyes off the real threat, which was Afganistan.  Now the Taliban and Alqeida are making a comeback in Afganistan, leading to more US casualties.  Alqeida was never in Iraq before America destroyed the country and left a vacuum for the terrorists to fill.  Not that Saddam and his sons didn't need killing, they did.

Marla

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-10-06 9:57 PM (#92684 - in reply to #92467)

I watched an Amish man rake hay with a team of Belgians this afternoon.  Pretty impressive.  Actually real impressive, the team consisted of a mare and a stallion!  Not sure I want to live without electricity, but at least I am in an area where someone can teach me how to!  Going to put in a garden this spring for the first time in about 6 years.  My beloved house hossies are going to learn to plow!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-06 11:08 PM (#92688 - in reply to #92676)

Expert

Originally written by Marla on 2008-10-06 7:29 AM

...  Alqeida was never in Iraq before America destroyed the country and left a vacuum for the terrorists to fill.  

Marla .. In the same tack as I quoted before, Iraq was in contact with AQ prior to 9/11.   This person has signed her name to a story.  There is some credibility to signed pieces, in my mind.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1133186/posts

What can you point to that says Iraq was not in contact(aiding and abetting) with AQ prior to 9/11.   ( I realize the issue of proving a negative, consider it a push-back for WMD)

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-06 11:11 PM (#92689 - in reply to #92684)

Expert

Originally written by rose on 2008-10-06 8:57 AM

My beloved house hossies are going to learn to plow!

A phrase comes to mind for your hossies plowing as a team... "Unequally yoked".

lol
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-10-07 5:22 AM (#92695 - in reply to #92684)

Expert

Originally written by rose on 2008-10-06 9:57 PM

I watched an Amish man rake hay with a team of Belgians this afternoon.  Pretty impressive.  Actually real impressive, the team consisted of a mare and a stallion!  Not sure I want to live without electricity, but at least I am in an area where someone can teach me how to!  Going to put in a garden this spring for the first time in about 6 years.  My beloved house hossies are going to learn to plow!

My family and I went to northern Ohio on vacation last year to Amish country. These people are not dumb, I look around at all the people in my area, and I think back to when I was a child. There are a few major differences. When I was a child, every back yard had a clothesline, and a garden. Every tobacco patch was being worked by young Americans. People also kept a car/truck about 10 years. The bottom line is we are spoiled, we want what we want, and we want it now. When I was a child we would go to the house for lunch and my mother would have a sit down lunch prepared, now we have french fries under the seat in our cars/trucks. We will have to change our ways in the future, pay down our debts and live within our means. I think better times are ahead.

Rose, I would consider an in-line harness setup for your hossies.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-10-07 10:05 AM (#92711 - in reply to #92467)

Hi Guys:  Glad you enjoyed the picture.  My best to you all.   And hoping for some rain tomorrow!
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-08 12:18 AM (#92740 - in reply to #92467)

Extreme Veteran

Iraq neither aided nor abetted the conspirators of 9-11. Actually most were Saudi. Go figure. Well, at least not until we attacked them. It's one of those lies that Bush and his cronies so subtly kept going by saying things like, and I quote, "Iraq had nothing to do with 911, but we must remember 911." Yup nothing like slight of hand.

There's a news column that printed The following more or less quote: In a study they found that 47% of Americans believe Iraq was involved in the nine eleven attack. Now we know how many people aren't paying attention.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-10-08 12:25 AM (#92743 - in reply to #92740)

Expert

Originally written by Yvette on 2008-10-08 11:18 AM

Iraq neither aided nor abetted the conspirators of 9-11. Actually most were Saudi. Go figure. Well, at least not until we attacked them. It's one of those lies that Bush and his cronies so subtly kept going by saying things like, and I quote, "Iraq had nothing to do with 911, but we must remember 911." Yup nothing like slight of hand.

There's a news column that printed The following more or less quote: In a study they found that 47% of Americans believe Iraq was involved in the nine eleven attack. Now we know how many people aren't paying attention.

Yvette ... Why do you say that "Iraq neither aided nor abetted the conspirators of 9-11."  What published information says so.  Can you give an example?   (Other than "it's a Bush lie")

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-09 10:09 PM (#92857 - in reply to #92743)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry for the double post answer follows...

Edited by Yvette 2008-10-09 10:14 PM
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)