'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
"Research" on European horse trailers: pics posted

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-25 5:13 PM
63 replies, 13129 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-09-15 8:28 AM (#48591 - in reply to #47994)
Subject: "Research" on European horse trailers

Veteran

Just dropped in to an internet cafe to check email, etc. Having a great time . . . met up with Wifey in northwest Germany for a few days: Watched some at the riding school in Vechta, went to horse show, took LOTS of pictures of what people used to bring their horses to the show. I'll be posting them when I return.

Other research so far: They serve the beer much colder than I expected . . . MUCH colder than the UK, France, Switzerland, Italy or Belgium . . . not quite as cold as in Texas. I have sampled beer from Bremen to Baden Baden and I have not found a bad one!!! This part of the research is an excellent way to spend the evenings.

Driving has certainly been fun . . . 190 kph gets you where you are going pretty quickly!I'll be back in Texas next week and share all the results of my research.

Roll on

Edited by RollinPonies 2006-09-20 1:05 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-09-15 8:38 AM (#48594 - in reply to #48591)
Subject: RE: Going to Europe to do "research" . . .

Extreme Veteran

Hey, Rollin Ponies, have you been to "Ausfahrt" yet?  (hehe)

Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-09-16 7:42 PM (#48647 - in reply to #48594)

Regular

Originally written by windwalker2 on 2006-09-15 8:38 AM

Hey, Rollin Ponies, have you been to "Ausfahrt" yet?  (hehe)

Maybe he's hung up on Einfahrt and Friefahrt.   

RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-09-17 1:13 PM (#48661 - in reply to #48591)

Veteran

One more day (in Zurich) and then I am headed back . . . Wow, all this research is exhausting!!! The horse trailer research has tapered off the last couple of days. I think I got all the information I needed on that topic. I have talked to dozens and dozens (maybe that should be metric) of people that transport horses. Early warning on the results of my research: I haven't found a single person who loads their horses so that they ride backwards.  I have not seen a single horse riding backwards in a trailer. I have gotten MANY strange looks when asking about horses riding backwards . . . but then again, I have gotten many strange looks for things I say and do here!

I just have this evening and tomorrow evening to complete my beer research so I better get down to the bar.  The work never ends.

Roll on

PS   I sure wish I could get some good enchiladas or at least some chips and salsa with dinner tonight!

Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-09-18 6:46 PM (#48733 - in reply to #47994)

Regular

Have a Lowenbrau and Wurstli for me in the Niederdorf in Zurich.  Better yet, a kaese fondue with Fendant wine!

My old stomping grounds.  Now I spend all my money on horses and don't travel enough (except with the horse trailer, of course).

Zahnburste

10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-19 8:56 AM (#48776 - in reply to #48661)

Originally written by RollinPonies on 2006-09-17 2:13 PM

Early warning on the results of my research: I haven't found a single person who loads their horses so that they ride backwards.  I have not seen a single horse riding backwards in a trailer. I have gotten MANY strange looks when asking about horses riding backwards . . . but then again, I have gotten many strange looks for things I say and do here!

I just have this evening and tomorrow evening to complete my beer research so I better get down to the bar.  The work never ends.

Just to add fuel to the fire: I helped a neighbor out by trailering a Hereford bull in my 3 horse slant. We tied him to one of the upright beams and left the dividers open. During the short trip he turned himself around and rode backwards!

I wish I could be there to help you with your other research!!!

BTW - That bull is halter broke, and loaded into the step up better than the horses.

RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-09-20 12:57 PM (#48848 - in reply to #47994)
Subject: European trailers: comments and (soon) pictures

Veteran

At the horseshow I attended in Warendorf  Germany I was able to speak with many people that had trailered horses to the show.  I also had the opportunity to wander in the parking areas and photograph tow vehicles, trailers, “horseboxes.”  I also had an opportunity to see a few trailers at the state riding school in Vechta Germany.

ALL of the trailers that I saw were of the European style.  By that I mean similar in design and construction to the Brenderup trailers that are sold in the US.

Very few of these were of the Brenderup brand.  There are many brands of this type of trailer available to the market in Germany, and I assume, the rest of Europe.  All of the trailers I saw had ramps and were 2-horse, straight loading trailers.  All of the trailers I saw used a braking system identical to or similar to the Al-ko manufactured system used by Brenderup here in the US and in Denmark.

I did not see a single trailer that was what most of us on this forum would call a “conventional” North American trailer.  I also noted that all of the tow vehicles that I saw were automobiles or SUVs.  I also saw many “horseboxes” including several based on Mercedes Benz truck platforms.

Several months ago there was some commentary on this forum about horses riding in trailers facing backwards.  In the time I was in Germany I did not see a single trailer loaded for the horses to ride backwards.  The people I asked about this practice at the show laughed out loud when I asked them about their horses riding backwards in their trailers.  They assured me that was not a practice they had ever seen.

All of the trailers that I saw on the autobahn were, except for passing, staying in the far right lane.  This is easy to understand when traffic in the inside lane(s) could easily be driving 120 mph (190 kph) or even much faster.  I never witnessed horsetrailers on the autobahn that even attempted to drive at the high speeds of the left lanes.  I saw trailers being towed by automobiles and SUVs on all kinds of grades and in all cases they stayed to the right lane and seemed to adhere to the same practices that the large trucks adhered to.  All the trailers I saw were towing on paved or graveled roads . . . from the autobahn to small country roads. I did not speak to anyone that trailers “off road” to trail heads for trail riding.  Virtually all of the people I saw and spoke with routinely park on wet grassy fields for the shows they attended.

I’ve joked about calling all of this “research” but it really should be considered one man’s observations over 10 days in Germany and Switzerland.  Although I am a former Brenderup owner (used an 87 Chevy ½ ton, 305 to pull it) this is NOT a review of European style trailers like Mr. Truck writes.  Keeping that in mind, I would tell you that it is common practice to transport horses in European style horse trailers pulled by automobiles and SUVs.  It is also common for the larger farms/more "committed" owners to transport horses with large “horse boxes.”  As odd as it may seem to any of us, these trailers seem to work just fine.  People use them everyday to transport trailers. They don’t pull them at high speeds; I estimate that they routinely pull them at 65 mph and no faster.  Except for parking, they are all used on paved or graveled roads. I doubt that they experience temperatures like we do in the South and West. I think a high temp in the low 90s is as hot as it gets in the summer in the parts of Germany I visited.

Can people use cars to pull horse trailers?  Yes, they do it all the time.

That’s the extent of my research.  I’ve taken many photographs and I’ll post as many of them as I can. I have to "shrink" them down in file size before I can post them.   My favorite is the Volvo convertible pulling the horse trailer.

Roll on

Edited by RollinPonies 2006-09-20 9:04 PM
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-09-20 3:21 PM (#48851 - in reply to #47994)
Subject: RE: "Research" on European horse trailers

Elite Veteran

Back in '87 I was in Connemara, Ireland for a week long trek with Willie Leahy through Fits Equestrian.  We were all sitting in the Hotel in Galway waiting for Willie to arrive and to our surprise he pulled up with a rather beat up Range Rover pulling a 2H trailer with the horse facing backwards.  We all piled into the Ranger Rover, luggage and all and drove about 80 miles to the starting point. (I even have a photo at home)

I remember us all laughing and wondering if we were going to be riding in the trailer with the horse....   What a wild week that was.... 

Edited by Dunoir 2006-09-20 3:23 PM
RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-09-20 7:30 PM (#48856 - in reply to #48848)
Subject: Here are some of the pics . . . enjoy!

Veteran

Here are some of the pictures. Hope you enjoy them.

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-20 9:02 PM (#48857 - in reply to #47994)
Subject: RE: "Research" on European horse trailers: pics posted

Extreme Veteran

It looks like anything over two horses is hauled on a horse box.  Is that pretty much right?

RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-09-20 9:12 PM (#48859 - in reply to #48857)

Veteran

robdnorm,

That's certainly the way it appeared to me: I saw no three horse or four horse or larger trailers at all. There were a couple of hundred trailers on the grounds of the show and they were all two horse trailers.  Tack was in the small tack area at the front of the trailers or piled into the back seats or rear of the wagons/SUVs. 

The horse boxes were really interesting too.  Pretty big rigs for the most part. I think the ramps would have scared off many of the posters on this site.

It was all pretty interesting to me.  Wifey and a friend were watching the show and I was wandering around the parking grounds talking to people and taking pictures. I've got a couple of dozen more pics but they all pretty much show the same thing: 2 horse trailers pulled by cars and SUVs.

Roll on

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-20 10:27 PM (#48866 - in reply to #47994)

RolinPonies

Nice photos, thanks for posting.  Glad you all are back in the ol' USA safe and sound too.

RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-09-21 1:00 AM (#48868 - in reply to #47994)

Veteran

Thanks for posting the pictures, they were very interesting.  Do you know if they have any slant load setups in the horseboxes or are they all straight load?
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-09-21 5:45 AM (#48869 - in reply to #47994)

Expert

The classic picture is the "Germany 1" A convertible Volvo with a bottle blond driving, look at the brake dust inside the front wheel, that's enough for me to say I'm glad we don't do things as they do over there. By the way the car and the trailer are very clean so the brake dust is probley from that day. They don't always have it right "over there" remember Hitler.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-21 6:10 AM (#48870 - in reply to #47994)

Elite Veteran

I did'nt see the volvo convertible.
RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-09-21 6:34 AM (#48871 - in reply to #48868)

Veteran

RoperChick,

The only configurations I saw were two horse straight loads. Glad you enjoy the pics.  I did this little project because I thought it would be fun to do.  I don't post this stuff because I think these trailers are "right" or "wrong." They do work for very, very many people for a lot of reasons.  Chief among the reasons are the type of hauling they do and the environment they do it in.  It is a valid option for some in North America.

Roll on

PS  In case anyone is wondering, I pull a two horse straight load GN with a dressing room and pull it with a 3/4 ton GMC Duramax/Allison crew cab. I really like my truck and trailer for our road trips.  However, at times I wish we had kept our Brenderup for short hauls, vet trips, etc. 

Edited by RollinPonies 2006-09-21 6:48 AM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-09-21 6:38 AM (#48872 - in reply to #48869)

Expert

Originally written by HWBar on 2006-09-21 5:45 AM

look at the brake dust inside the front wheel, that's enough for me to say I'm glad we don't do things as they do over there. By the way the car and the trailer are very clean so the brake dust is probley from that day. They don't always have it right "over there" remember Hitler.

reaching a little bit, arent we?
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-21 6:51 AM (#48873 - in reply to #48869)

Expert

Originally written by HWBar on 2006-09-21 5:45 AM

The classic picture is the "Germany 1" A convertible Volvo with a bottle blond driving, look at the brake dust inside the front wheel, that's enough for me to say I'm glad we don't do things as they do over there. By the way the car and the trailer are very clean so the brake dust is probley from that day. They don't always have it right "over there" remember Hitler.

World domination, or somesuch ?

Edited by Reg 2006-09-21 7:03 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-21 7:44 AM (#48874 - in reply to #48870)

Expert

Originally written by walkin on 2006-09-21 5:10 AM

I did'nt see the volvo convertible.

Look at the pic labeled "germany1"

Hbar ... I think you were a bit inflammatory with your post.  You noticed a lot of details, but "Bottle blonde"  ?

A hair stylist's expert opinion from the photo...?

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-21 9:41 AM (#48880 - in reply to #47994)

Elite Veteran

Great photo's and learning experience.Thanks for sharing and education.

That could the new german car,Farfrompukin!

They are all nice and shiney.

chevalnoir
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-23 10:01 PM (#49013 - in reply to #47994)

It really is a shame they are forced to pull those flimsy trailers w/insufficient tow vehicles over there.Thank God we have safer options here. I do wish we had horseboxes, though.

Edited by chevalnoir 2006-09-23 10:03 PM
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-09-24 12:16 AM (#49014 - in reply to #49013)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by chevalnoir on 2006-09-23 8:01 PM

It really is a shame they are forced to pull those flimsy trailers w/insufficient tow vehicles over there.Thank God we have safer options here. I do wish we had horseboxes, though.

I don't know what to say.....If you think the european  bureaucracies  are just ingnoring the flimsy and insufficient set-up you ain't seen Big brother yet! .....If they wern't safe they wouldn't be on the road!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-24 1:51 PM (#49038 - in reply to #49014)

Expert

Originally written by xyzer on 2006-09-24 12:16 AM

Originally written by chevalnoir on 2006-09-23 8:01 PM

I don't know what to say.....If you think the european bureaucracies are just ingnoring the flimsy and insufficient set-up you ain't seen Big brother yet! .....If they wern't safe they wouldn't be on the road!

The trailer size is limited by the vehicle size. I'm not current on this, but I think the towing vehicle has to be some minimum percentage of the weight of the towed vehicle.
In MOST european countries you don't have the "American Freedom" to put a 6 horse slant with 12ft LQ goosie on a "1/2 ton" truck - and have to come to a forum like this to ask why it doesn't handle very well.

Ohhhh, "Safety Inspections" in Europe (-:
Try, just TRY to get a US produced car through the first time.
The fact that the windshield wipers will lift at sub-autobahn speeds is the first count. They KNOW this, if your wiper arms and blades aren't the "approved for european use" part number, your car fails. Then its the headlight beam patterns. Your tires had better have enough speed rating for the engine's horse power. Then its something else, come back again, get it steam cleaned underneath each time so the inspectors (in white lab coats) don't get their hands dirty. Oil leaks from engine, trannie, rear end - FAIL !

Yes, its a GOOD thing - PITA, but good.

Edited by Reg 2006-09-24 1:57 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-24 1:51 PM (#49039 - in reply to #47994)

chevalnoir
You can get a "horsebox" here....it's called a tractor trailer rig.  There was one for sale on htw not too long ago.  It was green with great graphics with a matching tractor.  It was gorgeous. 

But really, I am nosy and curious, why do you want one?

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-24 2:02 PM (#49042 - in reply to #49039)

Expert

Originally written by rose on 2006-09-24 1:51 PM

chevalnoir
You can get a "horsebox" here....it's called a tractor trailer rig. There was one for sale on htw not too long ago. It was green with great graphics with a matching tractor. It was gorgeous.

But really, I am nosy and curious, why do you want one?

There are also "horse boxes" built on approx 2 1/2 or 3 ton truck chassis.
They're not in fashion right now, but I see a half dozen of them at shows throughout the season here (in New England). They're getting old, a couple have been completely redone, the others "show wear" (-:

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)