'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brenderup trailers
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-20 12:51 PM
118 replies, 21739 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh Frozen
Message format

halfpass
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-07-12 11:49 AM (#44480 - in reply to #44426)
Subject: RE: Brenderup trailers

Just search and read the review Horse Trailer World did...it's the #1 selling trailer in Europe and has been for decades. They don't sway..I haul my gf's Brenderup trailer and we cram it full of hay and can run 70 mph pulling it with a 5 cyl Volvo wagon. It stays cool during the hot summer and has been totally reliable. I'm sure we can go faster...we just don't want a ticket.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 11:50 AM (#44481 - in reply to #44473)

Originally written by Reg on 2006-07-12 10:12 AM

Originally written by TwoAppys on 2006-07-11 8:02 PM

Hi,

The difference in braking is kind of explained like this. With a regular trailer, you need a big truck to stop the trailer. In a Brenderup, the trailer stops the trailer. In emergency times, it has even stopped my car. When I almost hit the deer, that trailer stopped me in time from hitting it. It feels like a parachute back there. It never, ever pushes on your car. It takes no more to stop a fully loaded brenderup than stopping your car as you drive down the street towing nothing at all. That's what it feels like anyway. Even downhill. Even anything. It's great! In fact there are hills around town that if I coast down them with the trailer loaded, I will be going slower at the bottom of the hill. Without ever hitting the brake!

Lily

NOT so. With a "regular" trailer the trailer's brakes stop the trailer, the truck's brakes stop the truck. In any case other than that the controller has not been set up properly and/or there is a malfunction that needs to be corrected. Similarly any condition in which the trailer is dragging the tow vehicle to slow it down is an unbalanced (and probably dangerous) arrangement. The trailer should NOT be contributing ANY braking to the tow vehicle. I just *_HOPE_* this isn't characteristic of all B'Up trailers )-:

Let me guess, you don't own one, do you.   It's not unbalanced at all and actually quite a nice feature. The brakes only come in when activiated, so it's certainly not dragging the tow vehicle...

Ya know, I wonder why everyone always complains about being pushed by regular trailers, if their brakes are so great. I've always wondered. Got to have that giant truck, or you'll go right through an intersection. Got to have a giant truck to control that sway!  Got to have a giant truck or you'll never get the thing stopped.  It sounds like an ordeal.  Love that about the controller having to be set up right, or baring any malfunction.  From what I understand, the things which can go wrong with electric brakes are quite numerous!  La dee daaa!  You can have it.  I love my Brenderup!  Hop in and go. They have thought of everything. 

Lily

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 11:54 AM (#44482 - in reply to #44426)

Expert

i will ask the person about the 50mph question??? dose brenderup make a one horse trailer??? this maybe a way to ride the trails just a thought 61
Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-12 12:28 PM (#44485 - in reply to #44452)

Regular

Lily,

Here are a couple of things you said in your first post:

"It feels like a parachute back there."

"In fact there are hills around town that if I coast down them with the trailer loaded, I will be going slower at the bottom of the hill.  Without ever hitting the brake!"

Based on what you said there, to me this also sounded like you were saying the trailer brakes put some "drag" on the car.

You then later said "The brakes only come in when activiated, so it's certainly not dragging the tow vehicle... "

I think I, and maybe Reg, didn't quite understand what you were trying to say the first time around.

Bottom line is that it appears you are happy with the the way the trailer pulls and that you are safe.

I have experience with surge-brakes (which Brenderups are a form of) on trailers and they work fine when adjusted properly, but like anything else they can get out of adustment. No brake system is perfect and things can fail, including Brenderups brakes. That is why I have a problem with Brenderup advising people to tow WAY beyond their vehicles tow ratings. Other than that, I am completely on board with Brenderups concept. 

-Flush

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-12 3:53 PM (#44496 - in reply to #44481)

Expert

You gottit, I don't and probably never will own one.
My (usual) point is that you can get a heftily built full sized aluminum trailer WITH some face space around your horses and 7ft 6 in head room for a mere 600 lbs more. The B'up weight savings don't really get you into a smaller vehicle - or if they do it is a marginal choice. Think about it, what tow vehicle that you would want to use can safely tow a B'up but not tow a 2780 lb full sized trailer ?

I have boat trailers with surge brakes.
I agree, they work without set-up - so what ?
My head to head trailer is about 39ft overall, but that has electric over hydraulic brakes - and YES indeed I do want a full sized (at least 1 ton) truck for that. Bleeve me, it is NEVER too much trouble to set up the brake controller for that rig (-:
TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 4:08 PM (#44498 - in reply to #44426)

Hi, let me clairify.

( I love the smilies!)

The parachute thing was when I had to stomp on the brakes at 55 to keep from slamming into that deer.  The trailer stopped me, absolutely.  I would have hit that deer without that trailer.  That's what it felt like, a parachute.  I don't feel like that just braking normally. But if you do have to hit the brake hard, the trailer has your back.  And that trailer stopped sqaure behind me too, with the deer thing.

But in normal use, there's no drag on the car.   How do I put this...  The trailer braking is relative to the car slowing. In most cases, you don't feel anything. There! Now I shall celebrate with a pepsi!  ( I prefer Coke! But I"ll take what I can get!)

As far as I know, there's nothing to adjust on the Brenderup brakes. No hydrolics anyway, just cables.  Which is good!  I am not mechanically inclined!

Hope this helps!

Lily

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-12 4:10 PM (#44499 - in reply to #44485)

Expert

Originally written by Flush on 2006-07-12 12:28 PM

Lily,

"In fact there are hills around town that if I coast down them with the trailer loaded, I will be going slower at the bottom of the hill. Without ever hitting the brake!"

Based on what you said there, to me this also sounded like you were saying the trailer brakes put some "drag" on the car.

You then later said "The brakes only come in when activiated, so it's certainly not dragging the tow vehicle... "

I think I, and maybe Reg, didn't quite understand what you were trying to say the first time around.

Bottom line is that it appears you are happy with the the way the trailer pulls and that you are safe.

I have experience with surge-brakes (which Brenderups are a form of) on trailers and they work fine when adjusted properly, but like anything else they can get out of adustment. No brake system is perfect and things can fail, including Brenderups brakes. That is why I have a problem with Brenderup advising people to tow WAY beyond their vehicles tow ratings. Other than that, I am completely on board with Brenderups concept.

-Flush

Thanks, but I understood what she said, though the laws of physics seem to have been suspended for some.
Ummm, lessee now - where does the working force needed to actuate surge brakes come from ? Oh yeah, I remember (-:
In lay terms, "The trailer pushes on the tow vehicle".

Edited by Reg 2006-07-12 4:16 PM
TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 4:12 PM (#44500 - in reply to #44496)

Originally written by Reg on 2006-07-12 3:53 PM

You gottit, I don't and probably never will own one. My (usual) point is that you can get a heftily built full sized aluminum trailer WITH some face space around your horses and 7ft 6 in head room for a mere 600 lbs more. The B'up weight savings don't really get you into a smaller vehicle - or if they do it is a marginal choice. Think about it, what tow vehicle that you would want to use can safely tow a B'up but not tow a 2780 lb full sized trailer ? I have boat trailers with surge brakes. I agree, they work without set-up - so what ? My head to head trailer is about 39ft overall, but that has electric over hydraulic brakes - and YES indeed I do want a full sized (at least 1 ton) truck for that. Bleeve me, it is NEVER too much trouble to set up the brake controller for that rig (-:

Yes, for that much horse trailer, that one needs a big rig!   I had to either buy a brenderup, or buy a whole new big truck and trailer. I dno't really need a truck.  so I chose the brenderup.  I like it! I only have a couple horses though, so...

Lily

TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 4:36 PM (#44501 - in reply to #44499)

Originally written by Reg on 2006-07-12 4:10 PM

Lily,

"In fact there are hills around town that if I coast down them with the trailer loaded, I will be going slower at the bottom of the hill. Without ever hitting the brake!"

I have experience with surge-brakes (which Brenderups are a form of) on trailers and they work fine when adjusted properly, but like anything else they can get out of adustment. No brake system is perfect and things can fail, including Brenderups brakes. That is why I have a problem with Brenderup advising people to tow WAY beyond their vehicles tow ratings. Other than that, I am completely on board with Brenderups concept.

-Flush

Thanks, but I understood what she said, though the laws of physics seem to have been suspended for some. Ummm, lessee now - where does the working force needed to actuate surge brakes come from ? Oh yeah, I remember (-: In lay terms, "The trailer pushes on the tow vehicle".

Noooooo!  There's a coupler thing on the front of the trailer.  If the trailer ever starts to go faster than the car, the coupler goes in, that activates the trailer brakes. No push on the car!     Nevah evah any push on the car! Push on the coupler, YES!  Push on car, NO!

And may I add... also no worry about faulty wires, dead batteries, busted fuses, bad connections, brake controller adjustments...  etcetra, etcetra! That set up sounds rather frightening.  But it must work, a lot of people use it. 

Lily

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-07-12 4:57 PM (#44502 - in reply to #44426)

Regular

My mom says never argue with a fencepost.  But, if the Brenderup brake setup was so fantastic, then every trailer would work that way.  I'm pushing the limits of my tow vehicle, and I'll gladly worry over batteries, fuses, wires, and controllers anyday to make sure that my trailer stops itself.

Reg is a well-respected person on this board - I wouldn't take his comments lightly.  He only posts about what is safe and legal. 

I'd love to know what region of the country you are in, as I'd like to stay far, far away from you flying downhill towing two horses with a minivan or whatever your pulling your Brenderup with.  Because one day your brake system might fail and your vehicle will not be able to come close to safely stopping all that weight.  That is frightening.

Edited by bonniejf 2006-07-12 4:58 PM
RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-12 5:28 PM (#44505 - in reply to #44480)
Subject: I love having choices

Veteran

diesel vs gas

bumper pull vs goose neck

steel vs aluminum

fiberglass roof vs aluminum/steel roof

straight load vs slant load

mats vs sprayed in floor covering

ramp vs no ramp

brenderup vs whatever

Choices are wonderful things . . .

How do horse trailers stir such PASSION????

I absolutely LOVED  my Brenderup and wish that I had not sold it (for what I paid for it years earlier) when I bought the gooseneck (which I also love)  a couple of years ago.

Roll on!

PS - I did adjust the brake pads and maintain the bearings every year on the Brenderup . . .  just like the manual said and like the good folks in Midland advise. I also do that on the "conventional"  gooseneck that I bought. Brenderup makes an excellent trailer and  they are a pleasure to deal with. But then how do they all compare to a  Blue Moon ?

Edited by RollinPonies 2006-07-12 5:42 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-12 8:14 PM (#44509 - in reply to #44501)

Expert

Originally written by TwoAppys on 2006-07-12 4:36 PM

Lily,

-Flush

Thanks, but I understood what she said, though the laws of physics seem to have been suspended for some. Ummm, lessee now - where does the working force needed to actuate surge brakes come from ? Oh yeah, I remember (-: In lay terms, "The trailer pushes on the tow vehicle".

Noooooo! There's a coupler thing on the front of the trailer. If the trailer ever starts to go faster than the car, the coupler goes in, that activates the trailer brakes. No push on the car! Nevah evah any push on the car! Push on the coupler, YES! Push on car, NO!

And may I add... also no worry about faulty wires, dead batteries, busted fuses, bad connections, brake controller adjustments... etcetra, etcetra! That set up sounds rather frightening. But it must work, a lot of people use it.

Lily

If you want it re-worded;
The trailer pushes on the tow vehicle VIA the coupler, in so doing the brakes are actuated. {better ?}
It makes no difference which parts you call what, the working force for applying the brakes is still derived from the trailer pushing on the tow vehicle, however indirectly, through whatever intermediate parts.

IF, as you said in an earlier post, you have better braking with the trailer attached than without it - you have an imbalance problem.
My guess is that your trailer's brake actuator is (mechanically) amplifying the initial braking demand too much. I suggest you have it checked.

re Electrical system complexities;
Ain't nuthin' compared to what has to work for a modern car or truck to even START these days (-:

chevalnoir
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 9:32 PM (#44511 - in reply to #44426)

A horse trailer is the most dangerous place your horse will ever be. IMO, we all owe it to our horses to give them the SAFEST and most comfortable transportation possible.If cool is a concern, Equi-Spirit, Hawk, and Tral-et ALL have one piece fiberglass roofs, but these roofs include a ROLL BAR in case of roll over.You have to think worst case scenario. What's going to hold up better? Steel or fiberglass?Also, there's so much more to appropriate trailer/tow vehicle than braking--although that is a HUGE concern.I would never put anything larger than a Great Dane in a Benderup.Any trailer designed for human convenience rather than equine safety isn't worth considering if you care about your horse's safety.
TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 9:34 PM (#44512 - in reply to #44502)

Originally written by bonniejf on 2006-07-12 4:57 PM

My mom says never argue with a fencepost.  But, if the Brenderup brake setup was so fantastic, then every trailer would work that way. 

In Europe, they DO.  As far as I know, only America and Canada they use the electric brake system on trailers.  I do know in Europe, brake boxes are ILLEGAL. How about that! How do you suppose they stop all those trailers! They don't tow with Ford 350s, they tow with cars.  Like me!  Beep beep! Why don't they make more horse trailers with this system?  I don't know.  I wonder why everything gets blamed on the tow vehicle, like, stopping the trailer, trailer swaying, every answer to a trailer problem is: you need a bigger truck.  Sounds like you need a better trailer, 'cause mine doesn't do that and I don't tow with a big truck.  How can that be? 

Lily

majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 9:46 PM (#44516 - in reply to #44426)

OK. For the veterans, I apologize for bringing this up....it is obviously a hot topic. This is right up there with the bitless bridle debate.

However, I have learned a great deal. Three things really. Those who have Brenderups or have tried them, love them (including Mr Truck), have nothing but positive things to say...other than not big enough for living quarters and camping.

Those who don't own them or have no experience pulling them mainly criticize that small vehicles can't pull them. Although, Europeans have been doing so for 50 years with big Warmbloods on board.

And most importantly....no matter what trailer you choose you should know your vehicles limitations so that all around can be safe and sound. And that can only be answered by the car manufacturer and the trailer manufacturer.

I again am sorry for bringing it up...but it has been helpful.
majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 9:59 PM (#44520 - in reply to #44511)

Originally written by chevalnoir on 2006-07-12 9:32 PM

A horse trailer is the most dangerous place your horse will ever be. IMO, we all owe it to our horses to give them the SAFEST and most comfortable transportation possible.If cool is a concern, Equi-Spirit, Hawk, and Tral-et ALL have one piece fiberglass roofs, but these roofs include a ROLL BAR in case of roll over.You have to think worst case scenario. What's going to hold up better? Steel or fiberglass?

OK, I said that was my last post but I do need to defend Brenderup here.  I just got a DVD on the way this trailer is made and it does have a roll bar.  In fact it has two or three that reinforce the roof.  In addition, they are placed in such a fashion that the horses have to try really hard to hit their heads on them.

And the companies concerns are not for the driver but to make the horse as comfortable as possible.  Low noise, low heat, a ramp large enough for the horse to stand on it entirely. Trailer swaying makes horses nervous and stressed.  If you watch the video, the entire focus is on the horse and not the driver. 

The horses safety is not compromised in these trailers.  Like I said before, Europeans have been using them for 50+ years and if you think animal activists are big in America trust me Europeans love their animals.

The Bups are not entirely fiberglass they are a polymer of some sort that apparently holds up much better than aluminum.

To quote the great Steve Martin in this case "Criticize things I no nothing about".

majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 10:01 PM (#44521 - in reply to #44520)

Originally written by majoras on 2006-07-12 9:59 PM

Originally written by chevalnoir on 2006-07-12 9:32 PM

A horse trailer is the most dangerous place your horse will ever be. IMO, we all owe it to our horses to give them the SAFEST and most comfortable transportation possible.If cool is a concern, Equi-Spirit, Hawk, and Tral-et ALL have one piece fiberglass roofs, but these roofs include a ROLL BAR in case of roll over.You have to think worst case scenario. What's going to hold up better? Steel or fiberglass?

(Sorry my last post was in the form of a quote, DUH)

OK, I said that was my last post but I do need to defend Brenderup here.  I just got a DVD on the way this trailer is made and it does have a roll bar.  In fact it has two or three that reinforce the roof.  In addition, they are placed in such a fashion that the horses have to try really hard to hit their heads on them.

And the companies concerns are not for the driver but to make the horse as comfortable as possible.  Low noise, low heat, a ramp large enough for the horse to stand on it entirely. Trailer swaying makes horses nervous and stressed.  If you watch the video, the entire focus is on the horse and not the driver. 

The horses safety is not compromised in these trailers.  Like I said before, Europeans have been using them for 50+ years and if you think animal activists are big in America trust me Europeans love their animals.

The Bups are not entirely fiberglass they are a polymer of some sort that apparently holds up much better than aluminum.

To quote the great Steve Martin in this case "Criticize things I no nothing about".

TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 10:05 PM (#44523 - in reply to #44509)

Originally written by Reg on 2006-07-12 8:14 PM

Originally written by TwoAppys on 2006-07-12 4:36 PM

Lily,

-Flush

Noooooo! There's a coupler thing on the front of the trailer. If the trailer ever starts to go faster than the car, the coupler goes in, that activates the trailer brakes. No push on the car! Nevah evah any push on the car! Push on the coupler, YES! Push on car, NO!

And may I add... also no worry about faulty wires, dead batteries, busted fuses, bad connections, brake controller adjustments... etcetra, etcetra! That set up sounds rather frightening. But it must work, a lot of people use it.

Lily

If you want it re-worded; The trailer pushes on the tow vehicle VIA the coupler, in so doing the brakes are actuated. {better ?} It makes no difference which parts you call what, the working force for applying the brakes is still derived from the trailer pushing on the tow vehicle, however indirectly, through whatever intermediate parts. IF, as you said in an earlier post, you have better braking with the trailer attached than without it - you have an imbalance problem. My guess is that your trailer's brake actuator is (mechanically) amplifying the initial braking demand too much. I suggest you have it checked. re Electrical system complexities; Ain't nuthin' compared to what has to work for a modern car or truck to even START these days (-:

NOOOOOO!!  The coupler thing is on the trailer.  Right behind the hitch. Well, attached to the hitch. Well, right between the hitch and the trailer!  If the trailer is going faster than the car, it pushes the coupler, which activates the trailer brakes. The pushing is never transfered to the car.  Never evah evah!  You would know that if you had Brenderup!

I said I had better braking power when I slammed the brakes on at 55, trying to avoid hitting a deer! A situation in which it certainly is better to have extra braking power, don't you agree?  It's not like I'm going around town with my trailer dragging on my car or something!  

I love these threads where people that have never owned/driven/researched these trailers bash on them.   I think it's the funniest thing in town!  I have no idea how a regular trailer works, but I'd never go to a thread about them and start saying stuff like I do. (Like: Hey, you can't tow a trailer without intertia brakes, are you CRAZY!) But it's perfectly okay to say stuff about Brenderups, with no knowledge of how they work!  HAHA!  Oh, they're dreadfully unsafe! In a rollover, what would happen!  Hey, guess what! Brenderup already thought of that.   And the brakes, the brakes!  How will it ever stop!  hahaha!  Thought of that too, but who cares, it looks unsafe anyway! Towing with a CAR?  Insane!  hahaha!! YOU MUST HAVE BIG TRUCK TO PULL TRAILER!  OOOGA OOGA! Keep going, I love it!  The earth is ROUND now guys, ROUND!  A difficult concept, I know.  

And how interesting that now other companies are starting to use fiberglass roofs.  (Rooves??)  I mean, I remember ages ago, when everyone would say, oh that roof is so dangerous.  And now look, now more trailers are using them.  Roll bars in the top? Wow, brilliant, what a concept!  Like creating the wheel! Bravo, trailer company!   BTW, how are you going to get your horse out with roll bars on top of the trailer?  Hmmm.... well... I know how I will get mine out!  But... mine is actually designed NOT TO ROLL IN THE FIRST PLACE, so there ya go. It's a stupid concept, I agree.  Much better to let the darn thing do cartwheels and put some roll bars in the top!

Happy towing!

Lily

TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 10:08 PM (#44524 - in reply to #44516)

Originally written by majoras on 2006-07-12 9:46 PM

OK. For the veterans, I apologize for bringing this up....it is obviously a hot topic. This is right up there with the bitless bridle debate. However, I have learned a great deal. Three things really. Those who have Brenderups or have tried them, love them (including Mr Truck), have nothing but positive things to say...other than not big enough for living quarters and camping. Those who don't own them or have no experience pulling them mainly criticize that small vehicles can't pull them. Although, Europeans have been doing so for 50 years with big Warmbloods on board. And most importantly....no matter what trailer you choose you should know your vehicles limitations so that all around can be safe and sound. And that can only be answered by the car manufacturer and the trailer manufacturer. I again am sorry for bringing it up...but it has been helpful.

Just remember the tongue weight.  Brenderup has 3% tongue weight, American trailers are 12%.  That's why it's easier for a car to tow a Brenderup, and you can tow more with your car. American cars and trucks are rated for American trailers, which makes sense. Brenderup can explain it better than me, you should call them. They're very nice.

Lily

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-13 9:14 AM (#44542 - in reply to #44426)

Expert

You ONLY need to review lo-skool fysiks to understand what is going on with ANY sort of surge brake. Whether you decide to draw it up as a kinetic energy model or as a simple force diagram, there is no MAGIC added by including the name Brenderup.

Ask yourself this very simple question;
Where does the working force come from that actuates the trailer's brakes ?
If you STILL get stuck at the coupler mechanism... ask yourself if it would work with a "zero mass" tow vehicle in front. Gottit ? good.

...and oh, by the way - there is a small spring in the coupler mechanism that has to be overcome before ANY trailer braking can occur. This is to help prevent "hunting", but you probably knew that already.
OTOH, if your trailer is holding your car/truck back on downgrades, maybe that is the part that is missing or has failed ?
Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-13 10:38 AM (#44549 - in reply to #44542)

Regular

Majoras,

I hope you got what you came for. If you do go with a B-up, please post back here and let us know your experience. I think my "owner=thumbs up" "non-owner = thumps down" prediction was true again

TwoAppys,

As far as people talking about things they know little about, you may want to take your own advice when it comes to trailer brakes. Just so you know, I am a mechanical engineer and have spent quite a bit of time getting this stuff pounded in my brain. The only time your Brenderup trailer brakes work is when the trailer is applying a force against your car (pushing). They simply will not work any other way. Now if it is a good brake system that is adjusted properly, the amount of force that it pushes with will be quite small. You probably don't feel the pushing because it is so small, but to say the trailer pushes zero on the car is just dead wrong, no matter how many smilies you use

Once the the brakes of the trailer are applied and the trailer slows to a speed just slightly less than the car, It indeed does stop pushing on the car. If the car continues to slow, the process will repeat. Brenderup did not invent this concept. They do it in a unique way, but the principal is the same.

If you just said the pushing on the car is so small it is not noticable, I would have left it alone, but when you said "No push on the car!     Nevah evah any push on the car!" It was clear you don't undestand how your brakes actually work!

chevalnoir
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-13 10:40 AM (#44550 - in reply to #44426)

Lets not bring Europe into this. Due to the land and other constrictions, they have to deal with lots of things that we don't have to deal with. Many of their horses cannot enjoy the turnout that American horses do.

To say that we should use a Benderup because they have to use them in Europe is to say that we should reduce our turnout because they have to. Not that I'm saying all European horses are in Benderups or w/limited turnout.

Oh, I HAVE been in a Benderup. I've seen quite a few up close and personal.

My original comments stand.

The sole reason that these trailers were even invented is for human convenience. THAT says it all to me.
chevalnoir
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-13 10:44 AM (#44551 - in reply to #44426)

Also, comparing this trailer to a bitless bridle is apples to oranges.  While a bitless bridle does not allow correct contact from a Dressage perspective, it does no actual harm to the horse (well no more than does a bit in the wrong hands).

A Benderup could cost your horse much greater injury than a trailer built w/horse safety #1 in mind.

Now, for those who think I'm just slamming Benderups, I have to say that MANY other trailers on the market are, IMO, created more for human convenience than for equine safety.

Also, I realize that there really is no such thing as a "safe" horse trailer.  I just believe in doing the best we can for our horses and "convenience" trailers of any sort just aren't it.

cupid
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2006-07-13 11:14 AM (#44554 - in reply to #44474)

Majoras,
ABSOLUTELY you can pull a Brenderup with your horse. I've said this many times in the past, but I pulled by B'up Royal with a '96 Mercury Cougar (towing capacity 2,000 lbs) for two years. Only ever with one horse in it as could only get a class II hitch on it. Pulled fine in the flatlands of Illinois. Now I pull with an Explorer, took it to Galena which has some good hills and I couldn't quite keep up to highway speed on the hills. (No idea if a truck could either, though!) The dealers said my trailer weighed 1800 lbs and my T'bred was at least 1000 lb.
With your towing limit you can probably get a class III hitch and would do okay with 2 horses. (The Explorer pulls 2 horses in the Royal easily.)

Not sure who asked, but Brenderup makes not one but TWO one-horse trailers.
Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-13 11:32 AM (#44555 - in reply to #44426)

Regular

I agree Horse safety should be paramount. The problem I have is that I am not convinced the Brenderups are any less safe than most american trailers.

I know many think "O come on, its obvious the american trailers are SO much stronger" but that still doesn't prove to me they are safer. Until they start doing crash testing, you don't know anything for sure.

Its the same as cars. Old timers swear the big old american cars are the safest thing out there, but it has been proven over and over than modern cars that are designed to absorb impact (and don't have features to impale yourself on) are safer for the occupants. 

Unless you have data to prove it, you will never convince me one trailer is safer than another by appearance.

-Flush

Edited by Flush 2006-07-13 11:35 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'