'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dogs on the trail?

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-21 12:35 PM
118 replies, 19518 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

chase
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-09-18 3:01 PM (#30564 - in reply to #30423)
Subject: RE: Dogs on the trail?

Rostrenga raises a good point. It's a good idea to know what the regulations are before one heads out on the trail with unrestrained dogs. Many people assume that they are allowed on public lands when in fact the dogs may be subject to a leash law. As a private property owner in a community that is surrounded by public lands, I see plenty of unrestrained trail dogs on the dirt road that runs along our boundary. This road serves as a alternative route to connect a very popular horse trail to the local horse camp. Both the horse trail and horse camp are on public lands. Whether or not these folks know they are violating the leash law, I cannot say but I can say that there are definitely resident bobcats (one hangs out within a couple of hundred feet of the trail) as well as bear (one especially big mama and her cubs). Also we have found a couple of lost trail dogs that were pathetically searching for their owners. So please keep track of your dogs. Another point to remember is that dogs are predators and horses are prey animals, so one can expect horses to be instinctively to be cautious of them, though I agree that riders should train their horses to deal with the unexpected on the trail.For those who allow their dogs to hunt on the trail, rabbits and fawns both make a horrible sound when being mauled and it makes me very upset to hear it within ear shot of my home. It may seem to riders that they are out in the middle of nowhere but in reality they might be passing by and disturbing the wildlife in someone's 'front yard.' Having said that, my horses and I don't have any problem with well behaved trail dogs and considerate owners. Most riders and their dogs are very respectful.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HTCC53
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-09-19 9:57 PM (#30653 - in reply to #30365)

Classygirl I can understand you like to ride with you dogs. Well imagine this you are out riding and you come up on a family out for an afternoon ride with there children,Now imagine this your dog did spook there horses and one of there children was hurt or worse.would it still be worth the dogs to be there.
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-09-20 6:40 AM (#30655 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

What if you get in a car accident and die and take a family of three along with you even though you had your hands @ 10 & 2 and seatbelt on and drivers ed and regular maintainance on your vechile and a perfect driving record and blah blah blah? "What ifs"! You could what if yourself to death.

People need to learn to be responsible for themselves and not dependent upon others making way for them. Sure you would feel bad about someone else getting hurt but you can't protect everyone and, though we should all look out for each other, why should she give up something she enjoys (assuming that her dogs are well trained and behaved) because others don't prepare their horses to the environment. If you are not ready to ride in the scary woods, stay in the arena!!!!

**Here is an idea for you : How many people get hurt on the trail and it has nothing to do with dogs? My bet is that the stats will show that dogs are a little to non-existant indicator of an accident waiting to happen.

From the way some talk, you would think everyone's trail riding problems would be solved if there were no dogs on the trail.
Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-20 7:08 AM (#30656 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

I would alot rather meet someone on the trail with their dogs, then be the one trying to enjoy some peace and quiet at camp and have to listen to yappy dogs all the time.  Maybe everyone should just have to kennel their dogs before they go camping.
pasobeth
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-20 7:25 AM (#30659 - in reply to #29611)

Regular

Now that I started, I can't shut up. OK - I have children and grandchildren. Do I put them on a horse that spooks at everything to take the 5 year olds for a ride???? NOT. For goodness sake, the young ones and the older "passengers" are put on good horses that have been exposed to as much stimuli as possible. What the heck is the matter with your hypothetical family putting kids on green (I don't care if the horse is 25, if he has not learned to spook in place, he's GREEN) horses? Are they looking to sue someone? It that it? I raise and train those "carzy/hyper" paso finos and if I can train THEM to spook in place or not spook at all, then I can safely say ANY breed horse can be taught to control it's basic instinct for flight. And, as for barking dogs in camp...I also hate that, but there are no-bark collers and I have "lent" mine to various people that had yapping/barking dogs and they work. Cost maybe $50 tops and everytime I hear a barking dog in camp I make it known that there is absolutely NO reason for the dog barking, and if he was out on the trail for 5-6 hours riding with fast gaiting horses then the dog would have no desire to bark in camp.
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-09-20 7:57 AM (#30661 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

For the record, I am not opposed to well trained, well mannered dogs that stay right with their owners on the trail; most horse owners have dogs, so their horses are not spooked by dogs. But that’s not the case; a lot of dogs are running way ahead of their owners out of site and out of the owner’s control. As the US Forest Service opens more and more hiking trails to horses, we encounter more hikers as we share the trails. A loose dog is not much of a threat to a person sitting on a well trained horse, but it’s a real threat to a hiker or someone on foot when a dog charges out of the brush. The public land is just that,  its open to horse riders, hikers, campers, picnics and others. We must all respect each other and be considerate.  It’s kind of like running a loud commercial generator or letting dogs bark after, no regard for others.

verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-09-20 1:43 PM (#30682 - in reply to #29611)

Regular

I ride the trails of Northern California all the time. Dogs are required to be on a lease but often times are not. We can not control what others do on the trail, be it other horse riders, bicyclists, hikers, wild animals etc. What we can control is who we ride with. I would suggest you not ride with those folks again if it bothers you. I have a seasoned trail horse and a GREEN ONE, I ride with seasoned horses when on the green one and take the seasoned one out with my friends green horses. It works for all of us. When riding in a group everyone should have an understanding of their fellow riders needs. Pace, terrain, dogs etc. talk about it first and be responsible for your decision. If you don't like to ride with dogs on the trail, it would make sense that you not ride with people that take their dogs on the trail.

Hope your next adventure is better.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-09-20 3:33 PM (#30686 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

If we go to a place that we cannot take our dogs on the trail, then we leave them at home. We have friends that take their dogs on every campout, but they do not take them on the trail, they stay in their lq  trailer, very well behaved and not yappy or barking all of the time.
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-21 2:05 AM (#30714 - in reply to #30686)

Elite Veteran

Boy, am I glad I trail ride on 1000's of acres of private land. The owners don't care if there are dogs and horses riding.

I see more accidents going to these trail/poker rides and people bring their "arena" horse out on the trail. 100's of people and horses and the horse is high strung and been on the trail 2 times in his life. Every time, an ambulance always shows up. Trail riding with 100's out there on a green trail horse is not smart. I have even had to call 911 when a lady fell of her horse because it spooked at some birds! Dogs are a very, very small problem of the injuries that happen out on the trail. Most are do to inexperienced horses/riders.

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-21 7:06 PM (#30758 - in reply to #30714)

Extreme Veteran

We ride once in awhile on a private working ranch that some friends own. About 800 acres. One stipulation that they have on anyone coming onto their property- NO DOGS ALLOWED.

ajs01
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-25 12:46 AM (#30936 - in reply to #29611)

Regular

I think this goes both ways. I have five dogs and a wolf. I only consider 2 of the dogs trail dogs. They follow behind us and don't make a sound. It's the dogs that are not behaved on the trail that's the problem. People should know their animals a take responsibility for them and themselves. If someones horse spooks because they see a dog, well thats not my fault. I my dog carries on on the trail and barks at every horse, then it's my fault for takeing that dog. This debate has been going on in Fl since I got here. It's getting harder and harder to find a place to ride with the trail dogs.
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-09-26 5:48 AM (#30966 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

I don't like dogs on the trail.  Most are not well behaved in anyone's eyes but the owners. 

My horses are well trained but since I choose not to ride with dogs, when I do have  to ride with dogs they are not used to it.  When the dogs are in the forest I have had my horse spook.  Why wouldn't he, there is noise in the forest and he can't see anything.  Since a horse is a flight animal, of course he chooses flight. 

I get tired of the owners calling the misbehaving animal, the dog that stop right in front of your horse in the middle of the trail, the dog that chases cattle in a pasture, the dog that gets to the water hole first and lays in it before your horse can drink, and I hate that my horse kicked a dog once. 

I leave my dogs at the trailer.  I too would love to let them roam and have fun, but not at the expense of others on the trail and or the safety of the dog.  I spend quality time with my dogs instead of expecting others to put up with them. 

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-09-26 6:28 PM (#31013 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

I must be riding in the wrong type of forest.  All of them I ride in have noisy birds, deer, armadillos, & bear once in awhile.  If they are going to be spooked over something they can't see, I probably wouldn't be riding them in the forest.
Saddlemaker
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-26 9:37 PM (#31023 - in reply to #29611)

Most of the problems I've seen stem from trail riders refusing to take responsibility for their own actions and that of their pets. If they have a dog along on a trail ride and the dog or dogs decides to chase some cattle and get shot they feel it is not their fault they didn't have the dog under control . It's the ranchers fault.

This very thing just happened not to long ago on a private grazing property in SE Arizona. The dog owner wanted the rancher arrested and was going to sue. He said his dog was well trained and was only chasing the cattle and wouldn't hurt them. The law was on the racnchers side in this instance but the dog owner may be able to  find and attorney somewhere who is hungry enough to try a law suit. The owner thought he had a well trained dog. 

If we take and unleashed dog on a trail that is NOT restricted by a, no dogs allowed sign, then we must be willing to deal and take responsibility  for the sometimes tragic consequences.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-27 3:02 AM (#31027 - in reply to #29611)

Elite Veteran

I have an issue with people bringing their dogs on a trail ride.I want to enjoy that trail ride without listening to someone yelling at their dog the whole time! Never, Never, Never is the dog as well trained as their owner swears he is! I have to say, I put the person that brings his dog to a trail-ride of camp-trip in the same category as the annoying person that brings their cell-phone with them on these journeys!( the persons that use cell-phones for NON-911 instances)
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-09-27 6:37 AM (#31028 - in reply to #29611)

Veteran

Z71 - I am with you. I don't know where these people been riding either!All dogs on the trail are not bad. That's like saying all ex-racers on the trail are flighty. On a side note, not exactly related but sort of, I saw an instance one time where a gentleman brought to the trail a mare with colt at her side and his dog (golden retriever mix, if I recall correctly), and took all three out on the trail. Now, most people would take one look at that situation and bet by the minute when the catastrophy would occur. The colt was probably only a few months old but was being sheltered by the dog the whole way. If the colt found something interesting to look at, the dog hung back with him. I swear that colt must've thought the dog was his mama and he probably turned into a very nice trial horse because he was learning to accept things as they came along. We rode with this guy for a few miles and never had a single problem out of the colt, who was very polite on the trail, or the dog. Who would've thought! It was an "out of the box" way of training but apparently it worked for him.

Edited by Lynn0202 2005-09-27 6:39 AM
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-27 11:54 AM (#31044 - in reply to #30351)

Extreme Veteran

Actually, it is NOT that my horse freaks out when he encountrs a dog, on or off the trail. I have ridden with good dogs and it's never been a problem. My problem is with dogs that will race by you on a trail that is 12" wide, basically running right over and through your horses legs, and coming back the same way, right through you. Absolutely no respect for horse or rider. When you are on a trail that is narrow with ledges, and a 100 lb dog approaches you at a dead run, many horses won't simply hold their ground, broke of otherwise... it intimidates them a little. It isn't natural, and not something most horses have encountered. Also, dogs that do not yield to the horse, ie, will not move over when the horse comes up behind them, or worse, stop defiantely in front of you. The problem is obviously with the owners and their lack of control of those dogs. What do you do when you're on a ride with dead broke and not-so-dead-broke horses and you come across someone who is not in control of their dog? And how in the heck do you expect to end up with a dead-broke trail horse if you ride in the arena day after day. You have to get out there and expose them to everything, and that means you have to take the risks that come with riding in places you have no control over. If my dog stayed right behind my horse, she would be welcome to come along :) but as you can guess, she does not get to go. I just wish other people had some common sense when it comes to dogs on the trail. Some are great, others should be left far, far behind.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-09-27 2:59 PM (#31053 - in reply to #29611)

Extreme Veteran

I just saw an advertisement for bear repellent that sprays 30 feet.  If you encounter an unrestrained dog (or any predatory animal) on the trail that is threatening your or your horses well being, you might want to resort to this non-toxic method of self defense.
Montana
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-27 3:23 PM (#31057 - in reply to #29611)

They way I understood it was, cowgirl98034 chose to go on the trail ride with the dogs.  I don't believe the dogs were attacking her.  It would be unfair to set out on a trail ride with other riders and their dogs and to mace them. 

Edited by Montana 2005-09-27 3:27 PM
RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-09-28 9:27 AM (#31076 - in reply to #29611)

Regular

You better hope you aren't in TX or OK when you spray that repellent. It might just get blown in a direction you don't want. You could end up getting it in your horse's eyes and nose, the horses around you, your own eyes and nose, those of the riders around you, etc. Not a good idea in my opinion.
Good if you are riding in the woods and encounter a small black bear or agressive dog. Assuming that your horse is well trained and didn't haul ass in retreat. 52
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-09-28 10:56 AM (#31083 - in reply to #29611)

Extreme Veteran

Montana,  my suggested use of bear repellent was just that... a suggestion.  It was a generic suggestion and not directed toward any specific reader/poster.  I happen to have a fairly young horse who is not particularly bothered by dogs.  I occasionally ride with friends who bring multiple dogs and have never had a problem.  When I ride in the arena at home, my own dog is always around - sometimes minds his own business, but sometimes can be a nuisance.  My horses are used to that and exposed to other things as well - backhoes, carriages, bicycles - this is however, no guarantee that they will not be spooked by an unusual occurrence while trail riding.  As it happens, I do most of my trail riding in black bear country here in the Northeast.  I've been contemplating the purchase of a bear repellent.  I will be extra cautious if the occasion arises when I have to use it.  I'll try to arrange to be upwind of the predator!
iluvhorses
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-28 4:34 PM (#31097 - in reply to #29611)

New User

If you choose to bring your dog on the trail, I have one favor to ask.  When my horse accidentally injures your dog...don't call me names and talk bad behind my back.  I have been in situations with good and bad trail dogs.  About 10 years ago I was riding a good trail mare of mine in central Oklahoma with a group.  Someone brought their dog and about half way through the day, the dog decided to travel with my mare.  Not a problem usually.  I have dogs, they ride with me AT HOME.  This dog kept leaning in harder and harder on my mare's hind legs.  She kept trying to move over and move over but there wasn't enough room.  After 20 minutes of this battle over the trail, my mare had enough.  She unloaded both hind feet, something she had never offered to do before or since.  The feet both landed solid on the dog's right side sending the dog screaming into the woods.  Yes, my mare was reprimanded for this display so don't even begin to think this behavior was even remotely tolerated.  Needless to say, the dog was never seen again and his irresponsible owner spent the rest of the day complaining about me and my horse.  So, go ahead, take your dog, but when your dog gets injured or killed--bite your tongue and DON'T say a word.  Trail rides are meant for horses and mules, not dogs.

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-09-28 7:51 PM (#31101 - in reply to #31057)

Extreme Veteran

Right you are Montana... I knowingly went on the ride with the friends' dogs. I didn't think the dogs would be out of control, but then again, didn't even think to ask about it. What's that they say about hind- sight? 20/20. Also, I do not think I'd ever use bear spray while on a horse. I have sprayed pepper spray before, to test the distance, and the slightest bit came back on me. That was enough to know I would probably only use it under specific circumstances; hiking, walking alone in the dark, etc. *
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-09-29 9:32 AM (#31109 - in reply to #29611)

Extreme Veteran

Montana & Cowgirl,

Please re-read my posts regarding repellant sprays...

I did not suggest, nor would I ever use something like that on dogs that belong to the people I ride with.  If I had a problem with those dogs, I would probably choose not to ride with that group, or I would ask the owners to restrain or control their dogs.

My reference was to any predatory animal that I would be likely to encounter on the trail, ie. a bear, a coyote, possibly a stray or feral dog (without owner present).  I can see the possibility that my own horse or myself could be affected by these repellents blowing back in the wind, but what would you suggest as an alternative?  I recently rode upstate NY through an area of berry patches.  There was lots of bear skat along the trail.  If momma black bear decided we looked more appetizing than the berries, what do you think our chances of outrunning that momma would be? 

Has anyone come up with a reasonable method of defense against this type of danger?  So far, I haven't heard of any bear attacks against horses on the trail, but here in NJ we have had several instances where bears have attacked, maimed and killed horses and ponies (as well as dogs)in their pastures and back yards.

Montana
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-09-29 10:11 AM (#31110 - in reply to #29611)

"If you encounter an unrestrained dog (or any predatory animal) on the trail that is threatening your or your horses well being, you might want to resort to this non-toxic method of self defense."

Jakey 1, I did reread your post. You speak of using the spray on an unrestrained dog, does not say wild dog.  The original discussion was about people taking their dogs on trail rides with them.  Not wild dogs or bears.  I definitely would carry the spray if you are out riding with bears.  I'd even buy some extra's to practice with to make sure I know how to shoot it.  What happens if you miss? 

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)