'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trouble hauling through Iowa
[Frozen]

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 7 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-21 3:15 PM
196 replies, 46100 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh Frozen
Message format

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-11 6:04 PM (#67691 - in reply to #67689)
Subject: RE: Trouble hauling through Iowa

Expert

I e-mailed a guy at the Tx DOT and he said it was the ACTUAL weight of the vehicle/trailer that counted, not what it was rated for.  I posted the e-mail on here a couple of years ago.  I may still have it.  

I emailed the Trouper and asked him to look over this thread if he has the time and try to explain to us what the law really is.

Edited by Terri 2007-09-11 6:16 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-11 8:10 PM (#67695 - in reply to #66684)

keeponhaulin

Have you talked to an attorney in Iowa about contesting the tickets using the weight scale print-out?   Please update on the ticket proceedings.  Thanks.

aegnc
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-11 10:16 PM (#67716 - in reply to #66684)

...I too would be very interested in the ticket proceedings.  Heck, I'd even chip in to a "keeponhaulin' legal defense fund" to see where this ends up.  In my opinion there are a few other considerations:

There are two things in play, the requirements of the vehicle, and those of the driver.  As to the vehicle, based on keeponhaulin's description it clearly does not fall under the classification of a commercial vehicle, thus requiring a DOT# and all the associated requirments.  Reference the FMCSA regulations part 390.3(f) and associated guidance question and answer (21).

What is less clear is the requirement of the driver to have some form of class A CDL.  For this situation the federal requirements (which are the minumum to be used by the states) requires any combination of GVRWs over 26001, provided the trailer is over 10001 to have a class A CDL, unless it is an RV, used soley for that purpose.  Reference the FMCSA part 383.3 and associated guidance.  The kicker is that the states may have more stringent requirements.  I'm not sure what Iowa has, but Texas requires a class A CDL, or class A non-cdl for all vehicles of this weight range.  If licensed properly in Texas, this should apply to Iowa.

A couple other comments:

• Removing the VIN plate from the trailer is probably a red flag for any officer.  The FMCSA regulations part 383 guidance actually addresses this, and basically says you're assumed guilty until proven innocent...
  • As far as actual vehicle weights and GVWR(s) on the vehicles, the regulations always refer to the GVWR, instead of the actual weight, unless the actual weight is greater.  Seems crazy, but that's the way they're written.
  • When talking to government "officials" (I use that term loosely) expect to get a different answer from each one.

One final question for keeponhaulin'.  I don't understand the GVWR(s) of 10,000 lb. for your F-350 and 20,000 lb. for your trailer.  Where did the officer get these?  The truck seems on the light side for a F-350 dually, and the trailer on the heavy.  The scale readings put the truck at 12100 (4540 stear, 7560 drive), which is way over this GVWR.  This could cause DPS/DOT and insurance problems if it is correct.  My guess is that it is not. 

The reason I ask is that after purchasing our F-350 and 40' (OAL) living quarters trailer 1 and 1/2 years ago I've been dealing with the same issues.  The dealers actually incorrectly registered both the truck and trailer weights such that the truck was way under (and subject to a ticket) and the trailer was way over.  The trailer with two 8K axles has a GVWR of 16,000 lb., however they registered it for 29,000 lbs. It took about a year, and hours on the phone to fix these.

Sorry to ramble on...

Regards,

Dave

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-11 10:51 PM (#67718 - in reply to #67716)

Expert

I've found that Vin plates are frequently missing on older trailers that have been repainted.   They are either painted over or were taken off during prep and not put back on.
keeponhaulin'
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-11 11:20 PM (#67721 - in reply to #66684)

I'm gonna try to answer everybodies questions.  Have not yet talked to an attorney in Iowa.  Have spoken with several in Texas, and gotten a bunch of different answers, mostly that I have violated at least one of the regulations which I received. Alot of trailers I have looked at, not just horse trailers, do not have a manufactures sticker that has the GVWR on them, some have axel ratings or actual weights.  Don't know why the officer said my F-350 dually had a GVWR of 10,000lbs. when I looked the sticker said 13,000lbs.  I am aware that all the weights in the regulations are either GVWR or GCVR, I just found it interesting that the actual weight of my combined truck and trailer was way less than the 26,000lb limitation and how much more weight the manufacturer states these two vehicles can carry.  I can't imagine what else I could put in my truck or trailer to get there, thought the 6 pairs of shoes were ridiculous.  I have found that the states regulations can be more or less particular than the FMCSA regulations.  I really need one source to tell what they want from me.  I do travel across state and counrty borders and need to be able to do so without being legal in some and not others. Only some states require DOT numbers, Texas and New Mexico do not so hopefully I can get through the next show without a DOT number citation.  This is so frustrating because I keep getting different answers from the "officials" who are there to inform the rest of us and they don't know themselves.  I hope I answered some of your questions. 

Missed one, gotta look into that GVWR being wrong on the trailer.  Just searched a similar trailer that is same size, didn't look at the extras, and it was rated 2,000lbs less than mine, very interesting.

Edited by keeponhaulin' 2007-09-11 11:32 PM
dblhocker
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-12 8:28 AM (#67728 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

Keeponhaulin', I would double check with the manufacturer of the trailer as to the GVW of the trailer, it seems high to me. When the friend of mine got stopped for the same things you did, the GVW rating on his F350 dually was 11,500 and the GVW rating on his trailer was 15,000, making his total weight rating 26,500. After researching his trailer, he found he had two 7000 pound axles. After calling the trailer manufacturer, he got them to send him a revised tag for his trailer which listed the GVW at 14,000, which then put him under the 26,001 threshold.

His trailer is a 4 horse, 8' wide with a 12' shortwall full living quarters.
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-12 9:52 AM (#67737 - in reply to #66684)

Veteran

My trailer is a 3 horse with 10' LQ. The axles are 7k each and the tag says 16,646 for GVWR. If the trailer was rated closer to the 14k I wouldn't be over 26k.

I sent DHMCO (wonderful people BTW, excellent buying experience) an email about it this AM.  They are inquring to Bison about this and will let me know.

I also found that nobody in law enforcement can't agree how to interpret the laws and regulations. I think I'll print and keep in my truck the info applicable to me and even if it doesn't save me a ticket, the officer will know I've attempted to do right.

Edited by Lynn0202 2007-09-12 9:53 AM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-09-12 10:48 AM (#67742 - in reply to #66684)

Expert

Ya'll have about convinced me to turn in my tags and cancel my insurance and paint the words "FARM EQUIPMENT" on both sides! Take the money saved on license and insurance and pay the occasional fines...........And keep on driving and hauling. Don't worry about nuthin........Just GO!!!

Edited by retento 2007-09-12 4:58 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-12 5:50 PM (#67773 - in reply to #66684)

Expert

Ok, I think I have found what type of license I would need here in NM to be legal.  My trailer has a GVWR of 14,000lbs so I would need a non commercial class E acording to this.    I think.

http://wwwdgr.unm.edu/gradlicense/licenseCATEGORIES.htm

Edited by Terri 2007-09-12 7:07 PM
memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-09-12 10:04 PM (#67784 - in reply to #66684)

Veteran

My dealer told me that if I put in a shower and tolet, I can register my trailer as an RV in Iowa. His is.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-12 10:17 PM (#67786 - in reply to #66684)

Here in TN horses are still considered "livestock" so our trailer IS farm equipment.

I saw somewhere that Iowa has classified horses as something other than livestock but do not know what that is or why.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-12 11:02 PM (#67791 - in reply to #66684)

The following is from Tennessee Code Annotated section 55-50-102

(20“Driver licenses — Classes of” means:

(A)  Class A.  This license shall be issued and valid for the operation of any combination of motor vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (G.C.W.R.) in excess of twenty-six thousand pounds (26,000 lbs.), provided the vehicle or vehicles being pulled have a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (G.V.W.R.) in excess of ten thousand pounds (10,000 lbs.). Persons holding a valid Class A license may operate vehicles in Classes B, C and D, but not Class M vehicles, or vehicles which require a special endorsement unless the proper endorsement appears on the license;

(B)  Class B.  This license shall be issued and valid for vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (G.V.W.R.) in excess of twenty-six thousand pounds (26,000 lbs.), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of ten thousand pounds (10,000 lbs.) Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (G.V.W.R.). Persons holding a valid Class B license may operate vehicles in Classes C and D, but not vehicles in Classes A and M, or vehicles which require a special endorsement unless the proper endorsement appears on the license;

(C)  Class C.  This license shall be issued and valid for the operation of any single vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (G.V.W.R.) of twenty-six thousand pounds (26,000 lbs.) or less Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (G.V.W.R.). This group applies to vehicles which are placarded for hazardous materials, designed to transport more than fifteen (15) passengers including the driver, or used as school buses. Persons holding a valid Class C license may operate vehicles in Class D but not in Classes A, B or M;

(D)  Class D.  This license shall be issued and valid for the operation of any vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (G.V.W.R.) less than twenty-six thousand one pounds (26,001 lbs.), or any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (G.C.W.R.) less than twenty-six thousand one pounds (26,001 lbs.), except vehicles in Classes A, B, C or M or vehicles which require a special endorsement unless the proper endorsement appears on the license, and shall include enclosed motorcycles that weigh less than one thousand five hundred pounds (1,500 lbs.);

(E)  Class H.  The department may issue this class license to a minor between fourteen (14) and sixteen (16) years of age. This special class license shall be restricted to the operation of a passenger car or other similar vehicle under Class D, a “motor-driven cycle,” or a “motorized bicycle” as defined in § 55-8-101. This class license shall be known as a hardship license or motor driven cycle license previously issued under the authority of former § 55-7-104(g)and(h). The use of this license shall be valid for use in daylight hours only and for travel to authorized locations as specified on an attachment and by any other restriction deemed appropriate by the department and set forth in administrative rules and regulations;

(F)  Class M.  This license is valid for all motorcycles, including all motor-driven cycles. This license classification may be added to a license valid for any other class, or it may be issued as the only classification on a license if the applicant is not licensed for any other classification. A Class M-limited license may also be issued and is valid for all motor-driven cycles, including mopeds, but not for larger motorcycles;

(G)  Class P.  This class license is issued as an instructional permit and shall be valid to permit the operator to drive a particular class of vehicle on an instructional basis only. A Class P license shall be issued only in conjunction with another class indicating the class of vehicle or vehicles which the operator is legally entitled to operate. The holder of a Class P license must be accompanied at all times by a parent, stepparent, guardian, or certified driving instructor who has been licensed in this state as a driver for the type or class of vehicle being used for at least one (1) year, who is at least twenty-one (21) years of age, and who is fit and capable of exercising physical control over the vehicle and who is occupying a seat beside the driver; provided, that such requirement does not apply to motorcycles;

(iClass P licenses will be issued to persons completing the appropriate application, paying the required fees, and successfully passing a vision and written examination for the appropriate class of license;

(iiApplicants for a Class P license must meet all requirements of the particular class license for which they are applying;

(iiiClass P licenses will be issued for classes of vehicle or vehicles as follows:

(aClass P-A. This is an instructional permit issued for Class A vehicles;

(bClass P-B. This is an instructional permit issued for Class B vehicles;

(cClass P-C. This is an instructional permit issued for Class C vehicles;

(dClass P-D. This is an instructional permit issued for Class D vehicles; and

(eClass P-M. This is an instructional permit issued for Class M vehicles;

(ivPersons issued a Class H or hardship license, who are at least fifteen (15) years of age, shall be extended the privileges provided above for persons issued a Class P-D license, when all provisions above are met;

(21“Driver license endorsements” means special authorizations required to be displayed on a driver license which permit the driver to operate certain types of motor vehicles or motor vehicles hauling certain types of cargo:

(A)  Multiple Trailer Endorsement.  This endorsement is required on a Class A license to permit the licensee to operate a vehicle authorized to pull more than one (1) trailer in accordance with chapter 7 of this title;

(B)  Passenger Endorsement.  This endorsement is required on a Class A, B, or C license to permit the licensee to operate a vehicle designed to transport more than fifteen (15) passengers, including the driver;

(C)  Cargo Tank Endorsement.  This endorsement is required on a Class A or C license to permit the licensee to operate a vehicle which is designed to transport, as its primary cargo, any liquid or gaseous material within a tank attached to the vehicle, such tank having a designed capacity of one thousand (1,000) gallons or more;

(D)  Hazardous Material Endorsement.  This endorsement is required on any class license if the driver is operating a vehicle transporting a hazardous material that is required to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and by rules and regulations of the United States department of transportation;

(E)  School Bus Endorsement.  This endorsement is required on any class license to permit the licensee to operate any vehicle being used as a school bus; and

(F)  For-Hire Endorsement.  This endorsement is required to permit a licensee to operate a Class D vehicle as a chauffeur;

(22“Employee” means an operator of a commercial motor vehicle, including an owner-operator or other independent contractor while in the course of operating a commercial motor vehicle, who is employed by an employer;

(23“Employer” means any person, including the United States, a state, or a political subdivision of a state, who owns or leases a commercial motor vehicle or assigns employees to operate such

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-12 11:49 PM (#67792 - in reply to #67691)

Expert

Originally written by Terri on 2007-09-11 7:04 PM

I e-mailed a guy at the Tx DOT and he said it was the ACTUAL weight of the vehicle/trailer that counted, not what it was rated for.  I posted the e-mail on here a couple of years ago.  I may still have it.  

I emailed the Trouper and asked him to look over this thread if he has the time and try to explain to us what the law really is.

Well if you have an accident...the rules change...they want the manufacturer designated weights not the loaded weights from the bill of lading or the scaled weight of the vehicle...

This is from a state accident explanation booklet...Your State may be different

Gross Vehicle Rating: Record the applicable category for the single vehicle’s

gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or combination vehicle’s gross combination

weight rating (GCWR). This information is found on the certification label located

on the driver's door or door frame, cab behind the seat or driver-side visor. GVWR

and GCWR are manufacturer designated weights, not the loaded weights from the

bill of lading or the scaled weight of the vehicle. GCWR is the sum of all GVWR's

for each unit in a combination-unit motor vehicle and should be used when

recording the weight of qualifying combination vehicles. The use of GCWR to

determine selection becomes especially important when vehicles that would NOT

qualify by GVWR alone are involved in crashes when pulling a trailer. The label

for trailers should be affixed to a location on the forward half of the left side

Use gross combination weight ratings (GCWR) for truck combinations.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-12 11:56 PM (#67793 - in reply to #67786)

Expert

Originally written by rose on 2007-09-12 11:17 PM

Here in TN horses are still considered "livestock" so our trailer IS farm equipment.

I saw somewhere that Iowa has classified horses as something other than livestock but do not know what that is or why.

But the reason the ICC was invented was to stop one state from enforcing unreasonable rules on another states vehicles, i.e. if horses are livestock in TX, then when being transported thru Iowa by a TX truck and trailer its still livestock...same with the universal CDL...it is issued by a state, but is ultimately controlled by the Feds...i.e. Iowa can make it tougher for their issued license, but they can not enforce their rules over Texas CDLs passing thru Iowa...

And

in Keephaulin's case...she was hauling an RV that happens to have horses on board...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-09-12 11:58 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-13 8:22 AM (#67806 - in reply to #66684)

Is Iowa encouraging people to pull with inadequate trucks in order to stay under the 26,001?

Maybe I should put a gooseneck hitch on my Miata....just kidding.  Nah, just going to avoid Iowa.

Hey Memory....what about those pop-up rv's......they don't have bathrooms.  Does that make them non-rv's?

Edited by rose 2007-09-13 8:34 AM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-13 3:34 PM (#67826 - in reply to #67721)

Expert

I finally got hold of someone from Tx. hwy patrol division commercial vehicle enforcement training unit that would/could explain this in english.  I don't have time now but I can post it here after I go get the kids.  If you want I can forward the e-mails to you so you can read them.

Edited by Terri 2007-09-13 3:37 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-14 11:52 AM (#67864 - in reply to #67826)

Expert

This might be a bit confusing since the e-mails post the new messages above the old so you have to start at the bottom.  My messages are in red and the Sgt's messages are in blue.  The law is in black.

Thank You!!!    

xxxxxxx,xxxxxxxx wrote:

Just to be clear for you, you only need a Class C license if you drive the combination you listed.

xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx, Sergeant

Texas Highway Patrol Division

Commercial Vehicle Enforcement

Training Unit

Georgetown , Texas 

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 1:59 PM
To:
Subject: FW: FW: FW: Requests for information.

Your combined rating is 22,800 lbs and that is well under the 26,001. The way it works is the combination is 26,001 or more and the trailer being towed behind the Truck is over 10,000.Then one would need a class A or a Class A CDL. Look at the definition of recreational vehicle,” primarily designed as living quarters” , the horse trailer/ camper may not fit that definition. It sounds as if you are good to go. The only problem you may have is if you were involved in rodeo as a business and were traveling interstate in that size combination.

Sergeant

Training Unit

Georgetown , Texas

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 1:09 PM
To: xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FW: FW: Requests for information.

The GVWR of my truck is 8800lbs.   There is no combined weight listed but if I add the 8800 max to the 14000 max for the trailer I am under the 26,000lb mark.  But the trailer is over 10,000lb listed in all the laws so would that require the CDL?

I'm not a farmer/rancher.  We just have the horses so we can go out riding.   

How about if my trailer has Living Quarters?  Would that fall under the camper exemption?

And thank you so much for answering my quiestions.

Terri

xxxxxxxx,xxxxxxx wrote:

Persons exempted from commercial driver's license (CDL) requirements are:

(1) A person operating a vehicle that is controlled and operated by a farmer which is used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm and which is not used in the operations of a common or contract carrier and used within 150 miles of the person's farm.

(A) Under this exemption, a rancher is considered a farmer.

(B) A farmer and his farmhands are equally exempt when the farmhands are in the employ of the farmer.

(C) One who purchases a crop in a field and only harvests and transports the produce, but takes no part in the planting and cultivating of the product, is not considered a farmer.

(D) One who purchases acres of growing timber and cultivates and harvests it over a period of months or years is considered a farmer.

(2) A person operating a fire fighting or emergency vehicle necessary to the preservation of life or property or the execution of emergency governmental functions, whether operated by an employee of a political subdivision or by a volunteer fire fighter, or a fire fighter employed by a private company, for example, a refinery. This would not exempt operators of vehicles used by utility companies.

(A) Drivers of industrial emergency response vehicles, including an industrial ambulance are exempt only if the vehicle is operated in compliance with criteria established by the Texas Industrial Fire Training Board or the State Firemen's and Fire Marshall's Association of Texas.

(B) Drivers of public or private ambulances are exempt only if they have been issued a license by the Texas Department of Health.

(C) Electric company employees repairing downed power lines are not exempt.

(3) A person operating a military vehicle, when operated for military purposes by military personnel, members of the reserves and national guard on active duty (including personnel on full-time national guard duty), personnel on part-time training duty, and national guard military technicians. This exemption includes the operation of vehicles leased by the United States government for use by the military branches of government.

(4) A person operating a vehicle that is a recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use.

(A) For purposes of this exemption recreational vehicle means a vehicular type unit primarily designed as temporary living quarters for recreational camping or travel use that either has its own motive power or is mounted on or towed by another vehicle.

(B) This exemption includes travel trailers, camping trailers, truck campers, and motor homes.

(5) A person operating a vehicle that is owned, leased, or controlled by an air carrier, as defined by Texas Transportation Code, §21.155(d), and that is driven or operated exclusively by an employee of the air carrier only on the premises of an airport, as defined by Texas Transportation Code, §22.001(2), on service roads to which the public does not have access.

(6) A person operating a vehicle used exclusively to transport seed cotton modules or cotton burrs.

In reference to your question I think I can put everything in focus by saying everyone in Texas needs a CDL except the 6 persons above if they are driving a vehicle with the size requirements.

If you are one of these guys, then you do not need a CDL in Texas , But you may need a Class A or B Drivers license if you are in a vehicle that has a weight rating that fits the definition.

So if you are in a Truck with a rating of 13,000 lbs and your Trailer is 14,000 lbs GVWR then the total is 27,000 lbs you would need a
Class A CDL or a Class A license. There are 6 exemption above for CDL. These 6 may still need the appropriate
class of license (A,B) based on size.

You can find the rating on the door post area of your truck and it sounds as if you already know the rating of your trailer.

Look at number four. The person driving a large motor home doesn’t need a CDL because he is exempt under this law. The owner of the large motor home would still need a Class B license because he is over 26,001 GVWR. It is the same with number 2 (fireman operating a fire truck). These guys are exempt from CDL but they would still need a Class B license to drive the fire truck.

Sergeant

Training Unit

Georgetown , Texas 

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:26 PM
To: xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxx

Subject: Re: FW: Requests for information.

A CMV is a commercial motor vehicle?  

Does this part mean I should have a CDL to tow my horses in my trailer since it has a GVWR of 14000.bs?   If I'm not in commerce why?

And thank you

Terri

This is Texas law. There are some exemptions, and one doesn’t need to be in Commerce to be required a CDL in Texas .

(a) Commercial motor vehicles (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:

(1) has a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds inclusive of a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 pounds. In determining the GVWR of the towed unit, the weight of all vehicles being towed will be added together;

(2) has a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds;

(3) is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or

(4) is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be placarded in accordance with 49 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 172, Subpart F.

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:33 PM
To: xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Requests for information.

There are a lot of questions about the DOT number/license requirements concerning horse trailers.  If you can go to the website link that I gave you it would give you an overview of the problems people are having and maybe you could explain them.  When I talked to the other officer a few years ago he said that as long as I was hauling my horses for personal use and didn't exceed any of the limits of my truck or trailer I was ok and didn't need a CDL because I wasn't commercial.  People are being pulled over and ticketed because the vehicles POSSIBLE capacity, not because of the actual weights. 

There have been tickets for not having a CDL, no dot numbers and no logbooks given to people who, buy what I have been told, don't need them.  I don't understand where the "line" is.

I have a 3/4 ton truck with a GVWR of 8800 (no CGVWR listed) and my trailer has a GVWR of 14000.  Even though I'm under the 26000lb mark, my trailer is rated for over 10,000lbs and people have been getting tickets for no CDL with this set up.

I'm trying to find out about this since we like to go trail riding in different areas and my daughter is showing in 4-H this year.  I don't want to have any problems getting to and from the rides or show.

Thank you

Terri

" xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxx"  wrote:

Sgt. xxxxxxxx is correct, in the fact that I have taken over answering question that come in to the Motor Carrier Bureau. I can help you with a question you may have or I can find an answer for you if I am not knowledgeable about a topic. If you have a particular question relating to the Federal Regulations just email me or submit through The Department of Public Safety public information office.

Sergeant

Training Unit

Georgetown, Texas 

Edited by Terri 2007-09-14 11:58 AM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-09-14 1:22 PM (#67868 - in reply to #67864)

Expert

BROTHER!

You can see how getting each state to change its' regs for recreational horse hauling is going to be one more pain in the rear,not to mention unlikely.

I think the FED regs need the exceptions,since they are the standard that most states go by anyway.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-14 2:12 PM (#67871 - in reply to #66684)

My trailer IS an rv which also can transport horses;  there is a sticker on the outside that says it is certified by TA Arnold rv stuff etc.  The lq part is bigger than the horse part. 

I don't believe any of the people driving those big rv bus creatures has anything more than a regular (in TN that would be a class D) driving license.

AND when I tagged the dually, nobody said anything about it needing any kind of "special" tag because it is big. 

What is next, every one ton truck has to be driven by someone holding a cdl?  This is a load of crap. 

So, how about it people who live in Iowa, do all of you who have duallys also have cdls?

AND I am still interested in what Iowa wants concerning horses....

dblhocker
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-14 2:23 PM (#67872 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

I live in Iowa, have a dually, and do not have a CDL. However, my dually is an older one (year 2000) so the GVW is only 9600 lbs. My trailer's GVW is 14,000, so I'm under the 26,001 lb. threshhold, and I will always claim to be coming from or going to a trail ride. When I upgrade trucks, I will be very careful not to buy one with a GVW of more than 12,000 if the current laws stay the same, or there is no clarification that comes down the pike.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-14 3:00 PM (#67874 - in reply to #66684)

dblhocker    Thanks for the message.  I have been looking up (or trying to) the Iowas statutes.  I found the following:

717.1 Definitions.
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Law enforcement officer" means a regularly employed member of a police force of a city or county, including a sheriff, who is responsible for the prevention and detection of crime and the enforcement of the criminal laws of this state.
2. "Livestock" means an animal belonging to the bovine, caprine, equine, ovine, or porcine species, ostriches, rheas, emus; farm deer as defined in section 170.1 ; or poultry.
3. "Livestock care provider" means a person designated by a local authority to provide care to livestock which is rescued by the local authority pursuant to section 717.2A .
4. "Local authority" means a city as defined in section 362.2 or a county as provided in chapter 331 .
5. "Maintenance" means to provide on–site or off–site care to neglected livestock.
6. "Sustenance" means food, water, or a nutritional formulation customarily used in the production of livestock.
[C51, §2678; R60, §4318; C73, §3977; C97, §4818; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 13132; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, §717.1]
94 Acts, ch 1103, §7; 95 Acts, ch 43, §14; 95 Acts, ch 134, §6; 2003 Acts, ch 149, §21, 23

Anyway, most of the horse laws in Iowa relate to horse racing, gambling, drugging of race horses and so on.   As yet I have not been able to find the driver license stuff except for the graduated license provisions relating to interim licenses starting at age 14, and requiring drivers ed.

keeponhaulin'   What is happening with your ticket situation?

Edited by rose 2007-09-14 3:08 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-14 3:19 PM (#67876 - in reply to #66684)

ok I just found the following in the Iowa stuff (in the process of still trying to find the driver license stuff)

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-14 5:53 PM (#67886 - in reply to #66684)

Private passenger vehicles are covered under the Tennessee Code as follows:

55-4-103. Registration plates furnished by department — Form and contents — Size. —

(aThe department shall likewise furnish to the county clerks of the various counties of the state all registration plates of all types which may be required by the county clerks in the exercise of the duties in subdivision (b)(1) imposed upon them.

(b(1Every registration plate shall have displayed upon it, in addition to a registration number, the year in which it expires and the abbreviation of the word, “Tennessee,” and if the registration plate is issued for any type of vehicle other than a privately owned passenger vehicle not operated for hire, some symbol, or word, indicating the type vehicle for which the plate was originally issued. Registration plates shall bear individual distinctive alpha-numerical characters not to exceed a combination of six (6) as determined by the commissioner.

(2Registration plates shall be designed in such a manner as determined by the commissioner as will permit the display of validation or re-validation tabs, stickers, or other devices as provided in § 55-4-104(d), and registration plates shall also be designed in such a manner as determined by the commissioner as will permit thereon, and which is hereby required, the display of county and/or municipal wheel tax tabs, stickers, or other devices evidencing payment of wheel or road taxes heretofore or hereafter enacted by the respective county and/or municipality of Tennessee.

(3Any county and/or municipal law or ordinance relative to the display of such tabs, stickers, or other devices which may be required as evidence of the payment of wheel or road taxes, and which should be in conflict with the provisions of this section are hereby repealed and held void. Wheel tax records shall be maintained by the county clerk for the same period of time as registration records prior to disposition.

(4Registration plates shall also be designed in such a manner to require the display of tabs, stickers or devices on plates to be issued for a private passenger vehicle, which tabs, stickers or devices shall specify the name of the county of issue. The characters of the name of the county shall in no event be smaller than the characters of the words “Volunteer State” which now appear on registration plates. The area for the display of the county shall be below and parallel to the alpha-numerical legend as provided in subdivision (b)(1). Such tabs, stickers or devices shall be issued at the time of the issuance of the registration plates as required by this chapter and subsection (i) and displayed on the registration plates in a manner to be determined by the commissioner.

(cSuch registration plate or plates and the required numerals thereon, except the year number for which issued, shall be of sufficient size to be readable from a distance of one hundred feet (100") during daylight.

(dThe provisions of this section shall apply to and include any mobile home or house trailer.

(eThe requirement in this section for displaying the year of issue on a plate may be removed with respect to those plates issued under the provisions of a registration which does not require annual renewal.

(f(1To promote highway safety and increase visibility and legibility on registration plates, the same shall be fully reflectorized. The commissioner has the authority to establish specifications covering reflectorization.

(2In addition to the fee imposed in subdivision (f)(3) and in addition to all other motor vehicle registration fees prescribed by law, there shall be paid to the department the additional fee of seventy-five cents (75") at the time of the issuance of registration plates or the renewal thereof.

(3In addition to all other motor vehicle registration fees prescribed by law, there shall be paid to the department the additional sum of one dollar ($1.00) at the time of the issuance of registration plates or the renewal thereof.

(gWhen any plate becomes so mutilated or effaced as to no longer meet the requirements of the law, the holder shall apply to the department for suitable replacement. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate such rules and regulations as may be necessary to provide for the replacement of lost or destroyed plates and to collect a fee of ten dollars ($10.00) for each application.

(hCommencing January 1, 2006, and on each fifth anniversary thereafter, the commissioner shall cause to be reissued a new registration plate of such design as directed by the commissioner consistent with the terms, conditions and provisions of this section and this chapter. No such new registration plates shall be issued prior to January 1, 2006; provided, however, that the issue of the new registration plates on January 1, 2006, and any subsequent fifth anniversaries shall be deferred to a later January 1 if funds for the reissue of the registration plates are not appropriated specifically in the general appropriations act.

(iCounty residents who purchase a vehicle out of their county of residence shall receive a county name strip from the county clerk of their county of residence upon proof of proper registration and payment of any county wheel tax or other applicable county fees.

[Acts 1951, ch. 70, § 64 (Williams, § 5538.164); impl. am. Acts 1959, ch. 9, § 14; Acts 1963, ch. 143, § 6; 1967, ch. 122, § 2; 1969, ch. 334, § 1; 1970, ch. 499, § 1; 1971, ch. 12, § 1; 1972, ch. 742, § 1; 1974, ch. 668, § 1; 1975, ch. 98, § 1; 1975, ch. 357, § 1; 1977, ch. 39, § 1; impl. am. Acts 1978, ch. 934, §§ 22, 36; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 59-403; Acts 1986, ch. 816, §§ 1-4; 1987, ch. 321, § 1; 1988, ch. 710, § 1; 1988, ch. 971, § 1; 1990, ch. 716, § 1; 1991, ch. 90, § 1; 1991, ch. 405, § 1; 1996, ch. 687, § 3; 1997, ch. 251, § 1; 1997, ch. 538, § 1; 2003, ch. 355, § 17; 2004, ch. 481, §§ 1-3.]

<form name=LPHitCountForm>

<script type=text/javascript> // Hit Tracker - object for moving between hit anchors in a document//// Features:// * No FolioHitCount form is needed.// * First hit doesn't have to be LPHit1.// * Detects some binary documents.// * Works around IE 5.5 bug changing location.hash in XML.// constantsvar hit_prefix = "LPHit";// constructorfunction HitTracker(document_window){ // public this.prevMatch = HitTracker_prevMatch; // Move to previous match. Returns false if at first. this.nextMatch = HitTracker_nextMatch; // Move to next match. Returns false if at last. this.isTracking = HitTracker_isTracking; // Able to track hits on this document? // private this.construct = HitTracker_construct; this.checkState = HitTracker_checkState; this.moveToAnchor = HitTracker_moveToAnchor; this.document_window = null; this.document_object = null; this.first_match = null; this.current_match = null; this.total_matches = null; this.total_anchors = null; this.pathname = null;}// public methodsfunction HitTracker_prevMatch(document_window){ var ok = false; this.checkState(document_window); if (this.document_object != null) { if (this.current_match -1 >= this.first_match) { this.moveToAnchor(hit_prefix + (--this.current_match)); ok = true; } } return ok;}function HitTracker_nextMatch(document_window){ var ok = false; this.checkState(document_window); if (this.document_object != null) { if (this.current_match + 1 <= this.total_matches) { this.moveToAnchor(hit_prefix + (++this.current_match)); ok = true; } } return ok;}function HitTracker_isTracking(document_window){ // Is this a document that the browser renders natively, or is a // plug-in/activex involved? If this is a non-native document, we // can't do anything about navigating hits. this.checkState(document_window); return this.document_object != null;}// private methodsfunction HitTracker_construct(document_window){ this.document_window = document_window; this.document_object = document_window.document; this.first_match = HitTracker_getFirstMatch(document_window.document); this.current_match = this.first_match; this.total_matches = HitTracker_getTotalMatches(document_window.document) - (this.first_match - 1); this.total_anchors = document_window.document.anchors.length; this.pathname = document_window.location.pathname;// alert("Construct: first=" + this.first_match + " current=" + this.current_match + " total=" + this.total_matches); }function HitTracker_checkState(document_window){ if (HitTracker_isTrackableDocument(document_window)) { if (document_window.location.pathname != this.pathname) { this.construct(document_window); } else if (this.total_anchors != document_window.document.anchors.length) { // in case they moved to a different match before the document finished loading this.total_matches = HitTracker_getTotalMatches(document_window.document) - (this.first_match - 1); this.total_anchors = document_window.document.anchors.length; } } else { this.document_object = null; }}function HitTracker_moveToAnchor(anchor){ this.document_window.location.hash = anchor; if (this.document_window.location.hash != anchor) { // work around IE 5.5 bug if (-1 != navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 5.5")) { for (var a = 0; a < this.document_window.document.anchors.length; a++) { if (this.document_window.document.anchors[a].name == anchor) { this.document_window.document.anchors[a].scrollIntoView(); break; } } } }}// static methodsfunction HitTracker_getFirstMatch(document_object){ var first_match = 1; for (var a = 0; a < document_object.anchors.length; a++) { if (document_object.anchors[a].name.substring(0, hit_prefix.length) == hit_prefix) { first_match = parseInt(document_object.anchors[a].name.substring(hit_prefix.length)); break; } } return first_match;}function HitTracker_getTotalMatches(document_object){ var total_matches = 0; for (var a = 0; a < document_object.anchors.length; a++) { if (document_object.anchors[a].name.substring(0, hit_prefix.length) == hit_prefix) { total_matches++; } } return total_matches;}function HitTracker_isTrackableDocument(document_window){ // Windows containing MS Office documents do not have a window.document property. Any // attempt to reference it or detect its presence will result in a JavaScript runtime // error. So we'll do our best to detect it. var doc_ok = true; // try to determine if this is an office document by checking the file extension var path = document_window.location.pathname; var ext_index = path.lastIndexOf("."); if (ext_index != -1) { var ext = path.substring(ext_index); if (ext == ".doc" || ext == ".pdf" || ext == ".xls" || ext == ".ppt") { doc_ok = false; } } return doc_ok;}function HitTracker_handleError(message, url, line) { alert("Error: " + message + "\nLocation: " + url + "\nLine: " + line); return true; } var use_viewer = "Please use the document's viewer to navigate hits.";function getDocumentWindow() { if (top.main == null) { return top; } // top.main exists if (top.main.doc == null) { return top.main; } // top.main.doc exists return top.main.doc;}function getScriptName(){ var path = location.pathname; path = path.substring(0, path.indexOf('.') + 4); return path;}function getCookie(cookie_name) { var cookie = document.cookie; var script_cookie_name = getScriptName() + "/" + cookie_name; script_cookie_name = script_cookie_name.substring(1); var index = cookie.indexOf(script_cookie_name + "="); if (-1 == index) { return ""; } index = cookie.indexOf("=", index); if (-1 == index) { return ""; } var endstr = cookie.indexOf(";", index); if (-1 == endstr) { endstr = cookie.length; } var cookie_value = unescape(cookie.substring(index + 1, endstr)); if (cookie_value == null || cookie_value == "null" || cookie_value == "" || cookie_value.indexOf("undefined") >= 0 || cookie_value.lastIndexOf("=") == cookie_value.length - 1) { cookie_value = ""; } return cookie_value;}function doClearQuery(redirect_template){ parent.window.location = location.pathname + '?f=hitlist&t=' + redirect_template + '&c=redirect&q='; top.docnav.window.location.reload(true);}function doHideResults(redirect_template){ parent.window.location = location.pathname + "?f=hitlist&c=curr"; top.docnav.update();}function doCloseResultWindow(redirect_template){ parent.window.location = location.pathname + "?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm"; top.docnav.update();}function getFrameWindow(frame_name){ var frame_window = null; if(frame_name == "_self") { return window; } if (frame_name != null && frame_name.length > 0) { frame_window = parent.frames[frame_name] } else { frame_window = window; } return frame_window;}function displayQueryResults() { top.main.location.href = getScriptName() + '?f=templates&fn=main-hit-h.htm';}function doPrevNextHit(prev){ // var doc_window = getFrameWindow(document_frame_name); var doc_window = getDocumentWindow(); if (!hit_tracker.isTracking(doc_window)) { alert(use_viewer); } else { if (prev) { if (!hit_tracker.prevMatch(doc_window)) { if (confirm("There are no more hits in this document.\nMove to the previous document with hits?")) { doPrevHitDoc(); } } } else { if (!hit_tracker.nextMatch(doc_window)) { if (confirm("There are no more hits in this document.\nMove to the next document with hits?")) { doNextHitDoc(); } } } } return false;}function doPrevHit(){ doPrevNextHit(true);}function doNextHit(){ doPrevNextHit(false);}function doPrevDoc(document_frame_name, template){ // var doc_window = getFrameWindow(document_frame_name); var doc_window = getDocumentWindow(); if (doc_window != null) { doc_window.location = getScriptName() + '?f=Prevdoc&t=' + template + '&cache=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 10000); }}function doNextDoc(document_frame_name, template){ // var doc_window = getFrameWindow(document_frame_name); var doc_window = getDocumentWindow(); if (doc_window != null) { doc_window.location = getScriptName() + '?f=Nextdoc&t=' + template + '&cache=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 10000); }}function doPrevHitDoc(document_frame_name){ var doc_window = getDocumentWindow(); if (doc_window != null) { if (doc_window.isHitListStart != null && doc_window.isHitListStart == 1) { // it is already at the hitListStart, do nothing } else { doc_window.location = getScriptName() + '?f=hitlist&c=prev&gh=1' + '&cache=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 10000) + '#LPHit1'; } }}function doNextHitDoc(document_frame_name){ var doc_window = getDocumentWindow(); if (doc_window != null) { if (doc_window.isHitListEnd != null && doc_window.isHitListEnd == 1) { // it is already at the hitListEnd, do nothing } else { doc_window.location = getScriptName() + '?f=hitlist&c=next&gh=1' + '&cache=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 10000) + '#LPHit1'; } }}function doSynchronizeContents(contents_frame_name, contents_frame_url){ var current_document = escape(getCookie("doc")); // whack any leading slash character var index = current_document.indexOf("/"); if (index == 0) { current_document = current_document.substring(1); } var contents_window = getFrameWindow(contents_frame_name); if (contents_window != null) { if (contents_window.document.JTOC == null) { var url = contents_frame_url + '&cp=' + current_document + '&c=100&sync=2&cache=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 10000) + '#TOCSYNC'; contents_window.location.href = url; } else { if(contents_window.document.JTOC != null) { contents_window.document.JTOC.syncTOC(current_document); } else if(contents_frame_url != null) { contents_window.location = contents_frame_url; } } }}function doReference(template){ var ref_window = window.open(template, "Reference", "width=500,height=175,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no"); if (_js_ >= 1.1) { ref_window.focus(); }}function viewSearchForm(search_form_params, toc_template, no_toc_template, options){ // search_form_params looks like this: // frame-type:search-form-id if (search_form_params != "#NoForm") { var delim_offset = search_form_params.indexOf(":"); if (delim_offset != -1) { var frame_type = search_form_params.substring(0, delim_offset); var search_form_id = search_form_params.substring(delim_offset+1); var component; switch (frame_type) { case "contents": component = "?f=templates&fn=" + toc_template; component = "?f=templates&fn=" + no_toc_template; break; case "no-contents": component = "?f=templates&fn=" + no_toc_template; break; default: component = "?f=searchforms"; break; } parent.main.window.location = getScriptName() + component + "&id=" + search_form_id + "&" + options; } }}function getInfobaseName(contentPath){ if (contentPath == null || contentPath == "") { return null; } var cp = contentPath; if (cp[0] == '/') { cp = cp.substring(1); } if (cp == null || cp == "") { return null; } var i = cp.indexOf('/'); if (i < 0) { return cp; } return cp.substring(0, i);}

previous documentnext document
<script language=JavaScript>//JavaScript at boottom to catch correct document referencefunction sendEmail(){ var hostServer = location.hostname; documentPath=escape(getCookie("doc")); if (documentPath == null || documentPath.length == 0 || hostServer == null) return; documentURL="http://" + hostServer +"/tennessee/lpExt.dll?f=templates&eMail=Y&fn=main-h.htm&cp="+documentPath; emailTo=""; emailSubject="Michie's Legal Resource Link"; emailBody="\n\n" + documentURL; emailURL = "mailto:" + escape(emailTo) + "?subject=" + escape(emailSubject) + "&body=" + escape(emailBody); window.location = emailURL;}

Edited by rose 2007-09-14 5:56 PM
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-09-14 6:21 PM (#67888 - in reply to #67784)

Originally written by memory on 2007-09-12 10:04 PM

My dealer told me that if I put in a shower and tolet, I can register my trailer as an RV in Iowa. His is.

That is how it is in Kansas.  My 2003 Titan 16' GN is registered as an RV.  It has a camp potty, bag shower & Crown Royal. 

For those saying "I'll tell them I'm going to a trail ride" I wonder if you need to be careful because if you have a health certificate, which you should when going out of state, and if the Iowa officer ask to see that document, it will show something different: roping, show.

I've driven I-29 for several years going up to South Dakota.  It is the most neglected and unattended stretch of interstate I've ever seen with original to Lewis & Clark era road surface and the midwest's tallest weeds. 

BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-14 8:30 PM (#67894 - in reply to #66684)

Extreme Veteran

This is how the CDL was explained to me by an Illinois State Trooper.  It doesn't matter what axles you have or what the weight of the trailer on a scale, the CLD requirement of 26,001 is the combination GVWR of the towing veichle and the GVWR of the trailer.  I have a trailer with two 8,000 axles but it has a GVWR tag from the manufacture of 19,600, their thinking that 20% of the trailer weight will put on the towing veichle. The F-350 has a GVWR of 11,800, which put the GVWR of 31,400.

So if the trailer manufactures add 20% to the axles capacity, two 7,000 axles have a combined capacity of 14,000, adding on the 20% of the weight that the truck carries, that makes a GVWR of 16,800, leaving only 9,200 left for the GVWR of the truck, a 2007 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Dually has a GVWR of 13,000. So if you have a dually towing a trailer with two 7,000 axles you willl need a CDL. It seems that the trailer manufactures and truck manufactures are increasing the GVWR to make it seem that we are getting more for your money, but they are creating veichles that will require a CDL.

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 7 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)