'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What Kind of Vehicle

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-05 12:40 AM
47 replies, 11402 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

slowlookin
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-28 8:55 PM (#88448)
Subject: What Kind of Vehicle

hello.

I was wondering what is the smallest SUV that is safe to pull a trailer in? We need to get a trailer but we do not have a truck.

Thanks.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-28 9:29 PM (#88455 - in reply to #88448)
Subject: RE: What Kind of Vehicle

Expert

Suzuki Tracker. You can pull minis

slowlookin
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-28 9:37 PM (#88457 - in reply to #88448)

im sorry i guess i should give a little more detail. im sorry.

okay we have i guess what you would consider small SUV's. We have a ford explorer sport and a toyota highlander.

we desparatley need to get on the road. we would only be hauling 1 horse. we thought our ford could pull a 2horse straight load bumper pull, but we were told otherwise. we have a friend who has a 3 horse slant load bumper pull and said we were welcome to use it anytime. im almost positive our little explorer sport could not pull that as i had my doubts about even a 2horse straight. so now we thought that since we would have access to our friends extra trailer whenever we needed it we would just buy a vehical to pull it with and not have to buy a vehicle and a trailer. so i guess my question is would our explorer sport be able to pull the 3 horse? if i was right and it cant could it pull a 2 horse straight load? if your explorer sport has no hopes then what would be a i guess cheaper way to buy a safe towing vehicle?  we dont need a big dually or anything extravagant like that.

thanks i hope this is more clear

Edited by slowlookin 2008-07-29 10:51 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-28 11:02 PM (#88458 - in reply to #88457)

Expert

From the factory receiver tube size of the Explorer's I've seen ... No you should not use your Explorer to pull a horse trailer.

The Highlander has a maximum trailer tow weight of 5000 pounds .... IF you have all the required tow options.  Do you have the required tow options ??

Safety is NOT extravagant.  If you think a proper horse hauling rig is expensive, wait until you have a wreck.  Then, you'll see what expensive really is.

Several people on this forum haul horses using a small tow vehicle like a Highlander.  Generally, they were experianced tow drivers before attempting the horse trailer thing.  There is a very steep learning curve starting out with a SUV and a horse trailer.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-07-29 1:14 AM (#88464 - in reply to #88457)

Expert

Originally written by slowlookin on 2008-07-28 10:37 PM

okay we have i guess what you would consider small SUV's. We have a ford explorer sport and a toyota highlander.

we desparatley need to get on the road. we would only be hauling 1 horse. we thought our ford could pull a 2horse straight load bumper pull, but we were told otherwise. we have a friend who has a 3 horse slant load bumper pull and said we were welcome to use it anytime. im almost positive our little explorer sport could not pull that as i had my doubts about even a 2horse straight. so now we thought that since we would have access to our friends extra trailer whenever we needed it we would just buy a vehical to pull it with and not have to buy a vehicle and a trailer. so i guess my question is would our explorer sport be able to pull the 3 horse? if i was right and it cant could it pull a 2 horse straight load? if your explorer sport has no hopes then what would be a i guess cheaper way to buy a safe towing vehicle? obviously money would be something we would not want to spend alot of considering the current state of the economy and gas prices. we dont need a big dually or anything extravagant like that.

Neither of them are optimal tow vehicles...

If you really are that concerned about expense...sell the horses...

In the long run it is the cheapest solution...

Horses are an expensive hobby and that was BEFORE the RUN-UP in the cost of fuel...

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-07-29 7:42 AM (#88469 - in reply to #88448)

Elite Veteran

It is a very scary thing having a close call and being under trucked. It doesn't matter how safe your driving is, there's always a jacka** on the rode wanting to cut you off!...........So much for clean under garments.

Edited by Gone 2008-07-29 7:48 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-29 9:05 AM (#88478 - in reply to #88448)

Expert

The smallest SUV I would consider for towing would be the larger Expedition/Suburban size of vehicles. Even they can be "light" under certain conditions that include highway avoidance maneuvers. They are similar in capacities to the trucks of which they were derived.

You can tow many things with small vehicles; we have all seen outrageous examples on the road. To tow consistently, safely and comfortably will involve proper equipment. How much value a person's security is equated, will determine how much he is willing to spend, in an effort to assure his well being.

When you, your loved ones and your prized possessions are traveling down the highway at 65 mph and someone pulls out in front of you, at that moment do you want the smallest rig to try to save you from harm?

Gard

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-29 9:53 AM (#88482 - in reply to #88448)

Expert

Among the rigs here, one is a 2h bumper pull, tall and wide, but not warmblood size, with no dressing room etc, has a saddle compartment under the manger area.  Pretty much a standard 2 axle 2 horse trailer.  I pull it on occasion with a 4WD suburban with a towing package and digital brake control.  Even with one 1000 mule in it, I would hate to pull it with anything smaller than the suburban, and it does trailer well.  Part of what car salesmen do not realize is that the on-paper evaluation of the towing ability of a vehicle is more or less under ideal circumstances with a non-shifting static load.  All of this is of little value to you when circumstances conspire against you, i.e., the road is a bit wet from the rain, the curve in the road is not well balanced and the road surface is rutted a bit from big rig use, the dog runs out in front of you as the person in front stops dead in the road for it and the poookey hits the fan as the trailer tries to take over the little SUV and the horses in the trailer, shifting their weight and thrashing around wind up shifting the center of gravity past the point of no return and the trailer winds up on its side.  That is where salesmen need to be to understand our needs are more than they realize.

Now, that is an imaginary scenario.  I know personally of a trailer with 1 horse winding over on its side on a flat quiet  straight road in the sunshine.... the cause?  Daughter in passenger seat became agitated over a bee that flew in, and the dad made a pretty fair wobble with the steering wheel, and in a split second the trailer was on its side with the show horse in it.  And that was with a 4WD 2500 Suburban (was not us, but sure makes ya think).  My husband was part of the crew that helped in this accident.  The horse did not enjoy it, but survived.

Not trying to rain on the parade, at all, but there are reasons that the experienced folks here are trying to tell you that more rig is necessary for the safety of the horses, and you, and others on the road.  Be careful, and good luck to you.

slowlookin
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-29 10:49 AM (#88492 - in reply to #88448)

thank you for everyones replies. so i take it that it would be best and safer to upgrade to a larger vehicle.

so now my next question is what is the safest vehicle to pull a 3 horse slant load bumper pull in? and what are other conisderations when looking for a proper towing vehicle?

slowlookin
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-29 10:54 AM (#88493 - in reply to #88464)

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-07-29 1:14 AM

Originally written by slowlookin on 2008-07-28 10:37 PM

we desparatley need to get on the road. we would only be hauling 1 horse. we thought our ford could pull a 2horse straight load bumper pull, but we were told otherwise. we have a friend who has a 3 horse slant load bumper pull and said we were welcome to use it anytime. im almost positive our little explorer sport could not pull that as i had my doubts about even a 2horse straight. so now we thought that since we would have access to our friends extra trailer whenever we needed it we would just buy a vehical to pull it with and not have to buy a vehicle and a trailer. so i guess my question is would our explorer sport be able to pull the 3 horse? if i was right and it cant could it pull a 2 horse straight load? if your explorer sport has no hopes then what would be a i guess cheaper way to buy a safe towing vehicle? obviously money would be something we would not want to spend alot of considering the current state of the economy and gas prices. we dont need a big dually or anything extravagant like that.

Neither of them are optimal tow vehicles...

If you really are that concerned about expense...sell the horses...

In the long run it is the cheapest solution...

Horses are an expensive hobby and that was BEFORE the RUN-UP in the cost of fuel...

okay haha i guess i should not have written that. i mean we dont want to buy a brand new dually diesal type thing. we just need something basic. we will not sell the horse.

slowlookin
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-29 10:57 AM (#88494 - in reply to #88478)

Originally written by gard on 2008-07-29 9:05 AM

When you, your loved ones and your prized possessions are traveling down the highway at 65 mph and someone pulls out in front of you, at that moment do you want the smallest rig to try to save you from harm?

Gard

no of course i dont want minimal secutirty protecting my family and I. however we just need the basic simple setup yet will still be safe. am i wrong? do you have to have a big truck/dually to haul and be safe?

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-07-29 12:04 PM (#88495 - in reply to #88448)

Extreme Veteran

I hauled with a friend's rig with a two horse straight load and two horses for a while as she didn't like to do the driving. The Suburban handled well with a weight distributing hitch. I think that might be the way for you to go. A 2500 with the proper tow equipment and mind how much you haul should work just fine. Accidents can happen, you just try to minimize the risk.

Good luck!

3turnsfarm
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-07-29 12:06 PM (#88497 - in reply to #88448)

i would suggest going and buying a newer model 1/2 ton pickup truck. they will handle the trailers you're talking about with ease, and even a little more if you need to. also very practical, probably the same gas mileage. but like has been mentioned with your current vehicles, properly equipped!
slowlookin
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-29 12:39 PM (#88503 - in reply to #88497)

Originally written by 3turnsfarm on 2008-07-29 12:06 PM

i would suggest going and buying a newer model 1/2 ton pickup truck. they will handle the trailers you're talking about with ease, and even a little more if you need to. also very practical, probably the same gas mileage. but like has been mentioned with your current vehicles, properly equipped!

thank you! so i assume a ford f150?

when you say properly equipped what exactlly are the details there? obviously a trailer hitch but i assume there are different kinds? anything else i would need to know in a search for a truck?

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-29 12:44 PM (#88504 - in reply to #88448)

Expert

n response to your question, does one need a big truck/dually/etc just to do a small hauling type job.... no, it is not necessary.......that would depend on the size of the trailer and it's load. 

I suppose we are all just hoping to see a post from you sometime saying how nice it is to feel good about your rig and towing situation, and not have to go through what others have been through with trading several times to get something adequate.  Adequate is, of course, relative to the sizen and type of hauling you do. 

I have the dually, and others have much more tow rig than I...  if I had their magnificent and large trailer, I would also have a medium duty truck to pull it, as they do.  As I understand it now, you have not yet aquired the truck or trailer?  Perhaps you could ride with people who have rigs similiar to what you may end up with, and see how that is, good and bad.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-29 12:55 PM (#88506 - in reply to #88448)

Expert

If your plans consistently include using a three horse slant load and one horse, a half ton truck or Suburban would work well. However, if your loads routinely  expanded to included three horses, then a half ton truck would be pressed to and past its limits.

Flyingfarm very well explained that the towing capacity of a vehicle, does not equal real world driving conditions. Pulling three horses would put you into a three quarter ton truck territory.

Before you purchase any vehicle, and there are many that will do the job, you have to decide your future plans. You don't want to purchase a vehicle capable of towing one horse, only to again, have to replace it because you've outgrown its capabilities.

You are considering a large financial expenditure. Before you make any commitments or considerations, you have to decide what your future plans will include. With that knowledge, you will then be able to make an informed decision.

We, the membership of this forum, will give you as many answers as to what vehicle you need, as there are numbers of members. You will have to scrounge though this information, and pick what is relevant. Only you can decide what is the best for your circumstances.

Gard

slowlookin
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-29 1:15 PM (#88510 - in reply to #88504)

Originally written by flyinghfarm on 2008-07-29 12:44 PM

n response to your question, does one need a big truck/dually/etc just to do a small hauling type job.... no, it is not necessary.......that would depend on the size of the trailer and it's load. 

I suppose we are all just hoping to see a post from you sometime saying how nice it is to feel good about your rig and towing situation, and not have to go through what others have been through with trading several times to get something adequate.  Adequate is, of course, relative to the sizen and type of hauling you do. 

I have the dually, and others have much more tow rig than I...  if I had their magnificent and large trailer, I would also have a medium duty truck to pull it, as they do.  As I understand it now, you have not yet aquired the truck or trailer?  Perhaps you could ride with people who have rigs similiar to what you may end up with, and see how that is, good and bad.

no we have not bought a truck or trailer yet. we have ridden with different people with different trucks. one person we rode with had a big ford dually with a big gooseneck. another had a dodge truck im guessing the one that is equal to the ford f150 and she pulled a 3horse slant. then another friend with a f250 and a 3horse slant and finally a friend with a 2horse straight load and a tahoe.

and you are right i do not want to have to go andy buy many different trucks as time goes buy.

i guess im just trying to do as much research as possible to find out first what i need to get started.

oh and thanks for answering my question =)

slowlookin
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-29 1:22 PM (#88512 - in reply to #88506)

Originally written by gard on 2008-07-29 12:55 PM

If your plans consistently include using a three horse slant load and one horse, a half ton truck or Suburban would work well. However, if your loads routinely  expanded to included three horses, then a half ton truck would be pressed to and past its limits.

Flyingfarm very well explained that the towing capacity of a vehicle, does not equal real world driving conditions. Pulling three horses would put you into a three quarter ton truck territory.

Before you purchase any vehicle, and there are many that will do the job, you have to decide your future plans. You don't want to purchase a vehicle capable of towing one horse, only to again, have to replace it because you've outgrown its capabilities.

You are considering a large financial expenditure. Before you make any commitments or considerations, you have to decide what your future plans will include. With that knowledge, you will then be able to make an informed decision.

We, the membership of this forum, will give you as many answers as to what vehicle you need, as there are numbers of members. You will have to scrounge though this information, and pick what is relevant. Only you can decide what is the best for your circumstances.

Gard

so far yall have been very helpful. now i shall explain my situation.

right now its just one horse. we would just be pulling the one horse to local barrel races. if we got a second horse it would not be for many many years. so yes my plans are consistently pulling just one horse. so with that i gather im pretty sure we need something like a f150.

now that i have that figured out could someone explain what all else is neccisary to start hauling? so truck and trailer...im sure there are more details to conisder though.

thank you all so much :)

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-29 1:45 PM (#88513 - in reply to #88448)

Expert

Well, you will need a brake control on the truck, and if it is an automatic transmission, it will need a cooler for it.  You may need a weight distributing hitch.  Excellent and appropriate tires, and I would recommend a good quality 4-way wrench, and a trailer buddy spare tire "jack".  Hope this is helpful.
slowlookin
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-29 1:58 PM (#88514 - in reply to #88513)

Originally written by flyinghfarm on 2008-07-29 1:45 PM

Well, you will need a brake control on the truck, and if it is an automatic transmission, it will need a cooler for it.  You may need a weight distributing hitch.  Excellent and appropriate tires, and I would recommend a good quality 4-way wrench, and a trailer buddy spare tire "jack".  Hope this is helpful.

yes that was helpful! thank you!

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-07-29 2:46 PM (#88515 - in reply to #88448)

Regular

I just recently purchased my first truck and trailer.  I, too, was looking for a short haul for one horse.  Basically, to be able to take my 4 yo WB to the trainer and back and to some shows.  I bought an older, but low mileage for its age, Dodge Ram 1500.  I got a great deal on it and so far it has proven to be in good shape.  It spends most of its time in the driveway, anyway, since my husband and I both drive over 400 miles a week commuting to work (and the barn), so we drive fuel efficient cars.  This might be an option to look into.  Just adding a third, reasonably priced vehicle to the stable.  It only added about $25-30 a month to the insurance, but we both have good driving records.  I've had it since Dec. and put 2000 miles on it.  300 miles were getting it home from NJ and my husband used it to tow a car on a trailer to Long Island and back, 1000 miles in one day!  It survived that, so i figure we are good to go.  if the horse trailer had only been such a deal!  Most of the other miles have come from birning the trailer home to work on it or off for repairs:
slowlookin
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-29 2:51 PM (#88516 - in reply to #88448)

^^^^ that is exactlly what we were thinking. to just get a truck and only use it to haul. thats a great idea thanks!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-29 3:03 PM (#88517 - in reply to #88510)

Expert

Slowlookin ... As all your friends tow the three horse slant with a truck, you may as well figure on buying a truck if you're going to borrow the 3 horse trailer. 

Don't mistakenly think that a single horse allows you to use a lesser vehicle.  The 3 horse BP trailer is very sensitive to load placement with a single horse.   It is easy to get uncontrollable sway with the horse in the last position (it unweights the hitch) and if you put the horse in the first stall, the hitch weight will squat the tow vehicle.  Even loading the horse in the middle stall may create problems with trailer handling.

slowlookin
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-29 3:13 PM (#88518 - in reply to #88517)

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-07-29 3:03 PM

Slowlookin ... As all your friends tow the three horse slant with a truck, you may as well figure on buying a truck if you're going to borrow the 3 horse trailer. 

Don't mistakenly think that a single horse allows you to use a lesser vehicle.  The 3 horse BP trailer is very sensitive to load placement with a single horse.   It is easy to get uncontrollable sway with the horse in the last position (it unweights the hitch) and if you put the horse in the first stall, the hitch weight will squat the tow vehicle.  Even loading the horse in the middle stall may create problems with trailer handling.

i agree with you even though i know very little about all of this haha.! that a truck would be the best.

also i didnt know that the placing of the horse effets the  pull. that is good to know and it does make sense. thank you

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-29 3:50 PM (#88523 - in reply to #88448)

Expert

Hey, it is nice for someone who, upon asking for advice, and upon receiving it, altho it is not exactly what you would perhaps like to hear, maintains a nice receptive frame of mind and sense of humor.... it is appreciated!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)