'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Two pics from this weekends ride.....

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-23 9:24 PM
33 replies, 8739 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-07-08 1:04 PM (#87083)
Subject: Two pics from this weekends ride.....

Extreme Veteran

Went back up to Pacific Valley where I ran into the two bears last year, well.....I'll tell ya what, I don't like BEARS!!!!! I ran into another one, as we came around the corner of a small lakelet on the trail and there he was, standing up stretched out on a tree clawing aways and moaning and snorting, I said "I'm outahere!!!!!" I took Josie up and over a granite ridge and climbed through like I've never climbed before! And of course Josie was taking her sweet time like, "what's the big deal, it's the same color as me mom". One thing I cannot deal with is the bears! I think I just may get me my bear tags this year and get me some bear!

Anyways, on to two pics, I thought were quite self explanatory.....The first one is Josie of course, but it looks like she stepped right out of a Quarter Horse Journal from a halter show!

-

The next one looked like an add for Logan trailers or Dodge, which ever one you choose. The back drop was just incredible.....

-

I will get a trip tale out here in the next few days of my adventure, but just had to share these shots with yall...........
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-09 9:28 AM (#87124 - in reply to #87083)
Subject: RE: Two pics from this weekends ride.....

Elite Veteran

Awesome as usual !  Tell us about Josie
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-07-09 12:24 PM (#87136 - in reply to #87083)

Extreme Veteran

Well what all do ya wanna know about her? I pretty much figured everyone knew she was the greatest trail pony around! (Sorry just braggin as good trail mountains horses are hard to come by). 
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-07-09 9:35 PM (#87178 - in reply to #87083)

Veteran

Do you ride all by yourself???
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-10 8:16 AM (#87190 - in reply to #87178)

Expert

She won't take too kindly to that.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-07-10 1:55 PM (#87216 - in reply to #87083)

Extreme Veteran

See now Crowley you are getting a little well, uptight again, it's the way you phrase things online that catches people off guard. I don't mind if people ask me that, yes I do ride alone. I just don't care for people that try to tell me this and what if, yes, I know all the dangers, but that is just me, I go by myself and I have a great horse that does well on the trails and we take care of each other. The way you get that is respect for each other, horse and rider. I've ridden by myself forever, since I was about 12. Sometimes a few folks join me but they aren't as experienced or their horses aren't and it makes it hard, when they can't keep up or don't want to go for 24+ miles rides sometimes. I also would not be able to see so much beautiful country if I waited for people to get riding......

Yes I do alot on my own, I also run our cattle ranch alone, husband works a real paying job, a good one, so I deal with the ranch. I guess some folks, the way I have taken it is that a woman shouldn't do things alone, that's not correct. If I were a man it would more than likely be different............

Just stating my feelings and opinions about me.....

Guess you'd have to also meet me to understand my way of living....

Edited by cowpony01 2008-07-10 2:10 PM
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-10 2:42 PM (#87220 - in reply to #87083)

Veteran

Cowpony - More power to you. I wish I had the gumption to go off by myself sometimes. I know I'd ride more if I did rather than waiting on other people to decide they'd like to ride with me.

I, like most of us, really enjoy your posts and pictures and Josie is beautiful. I agree the previous poster is probably surprised you aren't scared to head to the hills alone and is not implying you shouldn't be doing it.

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-07-10 5:52 PM (#87233 - in reply to #87220)

Veteran

Originally written by Lynn0202 on 2008-07-10 2:42 PM 

I agree the previous poster is probably surprised you aren't scared to head to the hills alone and is not implying you shouldn't be doing it.

That's how I took that, too.  That's my question!  So, do you just trail ride alone, or do you do the whole camping experience alone?  And if so, you aren't scared?  Haven't had any problems with meeting up with any undesirables?  What precautions do you take?  I ask because I'm getting tired of waiting around for pals to decide to go riding/camping.  I'm usually not a scarey cat but times are quite different.

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-07-10 8:10 PM (#87242 - in reply to #87233)

Extreme Veteran

Wendmil and all,

Crowley and I have chit chatted quite a bit, so we know each other via that way, but we have two different views, and things were typed in that conversation that only Crowley and I will know, so I know how to take the comment. Just explaining that I am not bashing or taking it the wrong way, this has been an ongoing conversation and topic between the two of us. Crowley I hope yall feeling better lately, I do wish you well in your health......

Yes I go camping alone also. I guess it's just in the blood. I'm a very independant woman, and it's hard for my husband to deal with it sometimes too. I can keep up with the guys and then some more. Now that we have a young son, it's harder for him to take it and worries more. But he won't break my spirit. We have gone through alot of life changes in the last year, and he knows to leave me do my thing. I don't really run into alot of people on the trail, cause when I do camp it is mainly very, very primitive and the trails are so way backcountry.

Did I mention I also use to be a firefighter in my younger years. I'm just independant and tough I guess. OH, did I also mention I'm a not an exact sharp shooter but pretty good with a gun.

There was a great post over on the horse trailer forum about Connie Reeves, a cowgirl that died at the age of 101 years. The post is "Real Cowgirl", I loved it! Buy I googled her obit. and found a quote from her that I'd like to use. UP until the day she died she rode alone.......

The cowgirl found her own peace on a horse.

''I still ride alone,'' Mrs. Reeves said in an interview with National Public Radio last year. ''Sometimes I'll just get on the horse and go down to the river. We'll just ride up and watch a little baby fawn nursing or watch the birds in a nest.

''As long as I'm alive, I'm going to be trying to ride a horse.''

Edited by cowpony01 2008-07-10 8:56 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-07-10 9:57 PM (#87254 - in reply to #87083)

Expert

I have been amazed at the people I find all alone in some of the most primative spots. I rode up the trail out of Green River Lakes in Wyoming in the Wind River Wilderness. During the course of the ride I passed at least 3 individuals that were all alone.  Now I usually ask back packers how many to expect so I don't come around a corner and spook a horse on an unexpected hiker, and I carry on a little chit chit as I pass them.  These individuals all told me they had back packed the Highline trail by them selves.  Thats a 50 mile hike. You are talking spending a week in the wilderness by yourself. They were all from out of state and had travelled alone to do the hike. That's a little more than I'd take on myself.

I enjoy the wilderness. And I've been know to do a fair amount of rides by myself. I often spend several days in the fall hunting by myself. But I do prefer to have somebody to share the experience with and if ever I needed help, some body to help. I guess as I've gotten a little older, I recognized that I'm not imortal and that I do break. I once took two horses for a ride. My saddle horse and 2 year old colt that I had saddled and was ponying. While standing on the ground , something spooked the colt and he bolted forward, knocking me down.  I blew out my wrist when I hit the ground.  I had to collect the horses, get in the saddle and pony the colt for 3 hours with a throbing arm. Having somebody there to help would not have made it hurt less, I still would have ended up with 4 pins in my wrist a cast for 8 weeks. But it would have been nice to have somebody to complain to and not having to hold onto a lead rope with a busted up arm.

Cowpony you go an enjoy yourself. Nowdays I usually try to talk one of my daughter into joining me for my camp outs. Mainly because they are growing up too quick and will soon be gone. Around home they have friends, school and church activities, I hardly see them. So a night spent in the mountains is special time.

My youngest joined me Monday and Tuesday of this week for a trip into the Uinta Wilderness of Utah. Hopefully she is learning to be comfortable in the mountains

And she did her share of the work

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-11 12:46 AM (#87258 - in reply to #87242)

Expert

I used to go out alone all the time.   I would go to a few of the state parks and camp out for the weekend.  I rolled a small 2 man dome tent in my sleeping bag and tied it behind my saddle.  I had saddle bags and pommel bags with horse feed and "me" feed a book, flash light, xtras (reins/ropes and such) and water and that was it.  The first time my husband, then boyfriend, went he couldn't believe I'd go alone. 

I haven't been out since having kids and I really miss it.   I need to get my current mare trained so maybe I can start again.  Of course I won't be able to go alone anymore.  I'll have to take my girls with me and THATS what has me worried. 

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-07-11 12:42 PM (#87293 - in reply to #87083)

Extreme Veteran

Painte Horse,

See you still have snow there too! Great pics, love them trails, my kind too, granite rocks...........Great to see a youngin" learning to pack!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-07-11 8:56 PM (#87320 - in reply to #87293)

Expert

Acually we had to detour ont he trail a few times because snow was too deep to cross. So yes we still have snow in the high country. although the river was lower than other years when I have crossed it. So I think most of the run off is over.

This particular mountain range is not granite, It's mostly a Compressed Shale. Most of Utah was formed out of Lake bottom vs a Volcanic eruption.

This area has a lot of Talus. And the trail passes through it  periodically  Horse just have to pick their way through.

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-11 9:53 PM (#87327 - in reply to #87083)

Elite Veteran

Here's what I meant when I asked . . .  "Tell us about Josie".  I didn't think that question would need explaining.

#1 How old is she?

#2 How long have you owned her?

#3 What's her bloodline?

# 4 Has she had any foals?

Oh, and here's another one . . ..  Where's "Fancy"? ( Isn't that her name? )

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-12 12:40 AM (#87335 - in reply to #87242)

Expert

There was no mention at any time that she shouldn't ride alone,that she shouldn't be doing anything because she's "not a man" "it's not proper for a woman" or any such nonesense.

Hell,if I sat around and waited on some man,my husband,brother,ANY of them,just to go do something,Hell would be frozen over and the devil would be having skating parties.I am the last person to think that a woman would best serve others by being  in the kitchen baking cookies.

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-07-12 11:26 AM (#87346 - in reply to #87083)

Extreme Veteran

Awesome pics Painted Horse! I love that trail! That area reminds me so much of the Emigrant Wilderness that I am now exploring.......Thanks for sharing those!

N2Riding,

Just didn't know what you wanted to know, hope I didn't sound like a snot, sorry if I did. I didn't know if you wanted to know her background, bloodlines, or ? I could write a novel online about her otherwises! LOL!!!!!

Here's what I meant when I asked . . .  "Tell us about Josie".  I didn't think that question would need explaining.

#1 How old is she? She is 12 years. I bought her unbroke as a 5 year old and she was just as mellow then as she is now. A dream horse!

#2 How long have you owned her? 7 years now, and more to come, I would never part with her.....

#3 What's her bloodline? She is of Leo/Hancock/Skipper W and all right on her papers too. I've owned several of this line and love them. I just lost my 33 year old palomino last fathers day and she was of the same lines.....

# 4 Has she had any foals? No, I would love to breed her, but just can't handle not having her for a season to not ride. She is a work horse on and off the ranch, don't know if she could handle not being in the mountian either!

Oh, and here's another one . . ..  Where's "Fancy"? ( Isn't that her name? ) Fancy unfortunately had a fall in an abandonded well that is filled with old wire, etc. All the horses at the ranch have never gone near it, well Miss Curioustiy went in it, and cut her two front legs up pretty bad............The cuts have healed very well, you can't really see the scars, but her soft tissue (tendon sheath) on one leg is still swelling on and off and she is not completely sound. We are giving her the season off, with advice from my long time vet, and gonna try to see what happens next spring.  I keep my fingers crossed for her. If she doesn't become completely sound, we have a few studs in mind that we have narrowed it down to to breed her. At least I will still have her with me and maybe some foals, and she wont' go anywhere...............

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-12 12:51 PM (#87349 - in reply to #87346)

Expert

Josie's one of those working gals,bred to "Get R Done."

I think cowpony is of the same bloodlines as Josie! ( You know what  I mean,cowpony,not to say you are a horse,but when it comes to Josie that would be a compliment!)

Josie in her picture sure is a muscled-up gal.Well,she doesn't sit around in the pasture all day eating like ours,with grass bellies like the Goodyear blimp,so,she's going to look stout!

I could take a lesson from Josie,myself.

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-07-12 6:14 PM (#87356 - in reply to #87083)

Extreme Veteran

No, I know what you ment Crowley, LOL!!!!!! Two of us are some pretty tough working, short, stocky, cowponies! LOL!!!!!
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-21 2:57 PM (#87838 - in reply to #87083)

Extreme Veteran

It's great to see pictures of kids on the trail!  I ride with my 8-yr old twin girls; sometimes just the 3 of us and sometimes with friends.  They love horse camping, but wish they could meet more kids when we camp and ride.  Every time we go out we meet people who say how great it is to see kids on the trail.  Their riding teacher says God must really love me because most people would die taking kids off trail riding like I do.  It's what we know and love to do.  So for everyone who is scared to ride with small kids - get out there; start somewhere.  For us it was with 2 really great older horses that we trusted and 2 buddy seats.  We now all have our own horses a 4H LQ and they are able to groom and saddle almost by themselves.  As my husband says - we've come a long way in the past 4 yrs that they have been riding.  Hopefully it will only get better.  Every year we ride new places and have total faith in my kids horses.  Most kids can't say that have rode BSF; mountains and most national forest in our area.  The pictures are beautiful and to save the memories both girls have scrapbooks to remember their adventures.  I think a lot of parents are afraid of their child getting hurt and it is a real concern.  Start easy but do it.  We make great memories with every ride we take.

Edited by tom-tom 2008-07-21 3:00 PM
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-22 7:34 AM (#87880 - in reply to #87083)

Elite Veteran

I search out threads with photos of cowpony and painted horse's trips - always worth the effort.  I ride alone as well, though I haven't camped totally alone yet. 

But I have traveled the world alone - flying off to distant shores to ride, see the sights, experience the local color, etc.  Course it is different being in a huge city as you're not really alone, but there are still the dangers of "urban wildlife"....  I enjoy my own company and appreciate being able to go where I want to go, at my pace, etc 

Keep on exploring on that fabulous mare and sharing the photos with those of us hungry for gorgeous scenery. 

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 8:58 AM (#87885 - in reply to #87083)

Expert

Great pics and stories....nice horse too, BTW.

I too, ride alone, here in the Ouachitas, (pronounced WASH uh toz) on a fine sensible mule.  I have camped out in a little tent, an old cabin, and in a stock trailer, and a 2 horse trailer, depending on the circumstances... I do enjoy the LQ trailer these days, tho! 

When I have been riding out west, Colorado and Montana, husband has been along because we are avid hunters, and combined our love of riding the western states with hunting season!  I am a volunteer firefighter, too, and an EMT.  Not that any of that keeps me from getting hurt, just the similarity is interesting.  I love to ride alone, for the quiet of the soul, or whatever.  I am a fair hand with rifle or handgun, my father was a deputy sheriff and raised the kids with a knowledge and respect of firearms. 

For those of us who ride in remote country, (you know, where there is no cell phone service) check out Find Me Spot, a GPS enabled satellite transceiver that can call in the cavalry if you get in a real wreck, or just send messages to family and updates of your position on Google Earth.  I think this would be just dandy to have for a variety of reasons... sounds cool, anyway. (Sorry for digressing from the thread...)

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-07-22 9:14 AM (#87887 - in reply to #87083)

Elite Veteran

Very pretty horse!
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-07-22 3:19 PM (#87933 - in reply to #87885)

Extreme Veteran

I too, ride alone, here in the Ouachitas, (pronounced WASH uh toz) on a fine sensible mule.  I have camped out in a little tent, an old cabin, and in a stock trailer, and a 2 horse trailer, depending on the circumstances... I do enjoy the LQ trailer these days, tho! 

When I have been riding out west, Colorado and Montana, husband has been along because we are avid hunters, and combined our love of riding the western states with hunting season!  I am a volunteer firefighter, too, and an EMT.  Not that any of that keeps me from getting hurt, just the similarity is interesting.  I love to ride alone, for the quiet of the soul, or whatever.  I am a fair hand with rifle or handgun, my father was a deputy sheriff and raised the kids with a knowledge and respect of firearms. 

For those of us who ride in remote country, (you know, where there is no cell phone service) check out Find Me Spot, a GPS enabled satellite transceiver that can call in the cavalry if you get in a real wreck, or just send messages to family and updates of your position on Google Earth.  I think this would be just dandy to have for a variety of reasons... sounds cool, anyway. (Sorry for digressing from the thread...)

We are so similiar! I used to be a firefighter and EMT in my 20's, then switched to a vet tech. Now I'm cattle ranching, my work that I enjoy, where else can you be outside, riding, and working in the outdoors with your own schedual,LOL!!!!! I'll have to check out that Find Me a Spot, that sounds like a neat thing, I'll have to read up on it. I'll be PMing you if I can't figure it out, LOL!!!!!!! I am very good with a pistol, and my step dad was a range master for the sheriffs dept. he worked for too! (Now he is retired). Very cool, we could be a mean team if we got together! LOL!!!!!!!

Edited by cowpony01 2008-07-22 3:21 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-22 3:45 PM (#87934 - in reply to #87933)

Expert

Well I feel sorry for any thugs that might encounter either one of you two out in the wilderness! Guess I'd better worry about THEM instead, HA HA!
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 5:05 PM (#87936 - in reply to #87083)

Expert

Ha!  and I forgot to mention we are running a herd of black limousine cross cows with a brangus bull and last cow calved yesterday, and I take care of them 90% of the time, and did not have to pull a calf this season!  Yea!  There is one longhorn cow for decoration, and she had a solid black calf, and the one other colored cow, a Santa Gertrudis, (who is as calm and kind as could possibly be) has a solid black bull at side, so the calf crop this year is miraculously all black, which has the best market around here.

And here:

http://www.findmespot.com/ExploreSPOT/HowItWorks/Check-in.aspx

Edited by flyinghfarm 2008-07-22 5:08 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'