'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
FUEL PRICES....SHOW SCHEDULES

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-17 9:12 PM
38 replies, 11205 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-10 10:22 AM (#83649)
Subject: FUEL PRICES....SHOW SCHEDULES

Regular

$4.25 DIESEL

$3.75 UNLEADED....GOING TO GET WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER.....

IS THIS GOING TO KEEP YOU HOME MORE THIS SUMMER ???...DO MORE AROUND THE HOMESTEAD .....

ARE YOU GOING TO GO TO AS MANY SHOWS AS YOU HAVE IN THE PAST ???

DOING A QUICK SURVEY HERE....I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR EVERYONE'S INPUT ON THIS PLEASE.....

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE !!!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-05-10 10:38 AM (#83651 - in reply to #83649)
Subject: RE: FUEL PRICES....SHOW SCHEDULES

Elite Veteran

I'm going to buy a motor scooter . It is what it is and it's going to get worse without getter better in my opinion. I definately will be taking up a little gardening 101.......I just came back from the grocery store . I'm still going to haul but I won't be going out of my way to pick up other horses for free. Cash will have to be flipped my way. Also, I will be looking at local areas to ride.

Edited by Gone 2008-05-10 10:46 AM
amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-10 6:25 PM (#83670 - in reply to #83649)

Regular

we are heading to colorado for a show this summer: two days drive. we will be hauling a 3rd horse (and its rider) to help with the gas, instead of using that 3rd trailer space for "stuff".  guess its time to pack a little more carefully.  the fuel will be, by my calculations, close to $900.  sure makes you think twice (three, four times even) about going.  but we will be there for a couple of weeks and out of the texas heat. that has got to be worth something....  may try this carpooling thing for shows closer to home, too.  or, just stay home and weed the garden.  
Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-05-10 7:35 PM (#83672 - in reply to #83649)

Regular

Cut the show schedule way back. Used to do a show/rodeo every weekend. Now, it's one a month. Horses don't appreciate it much, as it puts them back into full time ranch work.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-10 9:37 PM (#83675 - in reply to #83649)

Expert

Actually going to three MORE dressage competitions this year than last year, because we have to get the points this year in PSG, BEFORE the NEW USDF rules go into effect...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-05-10 9:38 PM
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-10 10:34 PM (#83681 - in reply to #83649)

Paid $4.25 a gal today. Store owner says it will be going up to $4.50 in the next few days. I sure hope this new Ford 450 gets better than the 10.9 mpg I am clocking now. Not sure what exactly the Duramax gets but I do know it is alot better than the new Ford is. I am kind of hoping that the Duramax doesn't sell too quickly to give the Ford more time to get broke in before I have to use it all the time.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-05-10 10:46 PM (#83682 - in reply to #83649)

Expert

I used to not think twice about filling up the truck and heading to where I wanted to ride. But the recession has drastically cut my income and the jump fuel prices has me thinking about more rides in the field next door and less on top of a mountain.  I'll still make a few trips. But not as many as past summers.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-05-11 4:14 PM (#83699 - in reply to #83649)

Expert

We are NOT in a recession.......

However, I am not going to large class A arabian shows. It would be a 4 hour haul and just isn't fun when I wonder how I am going to pay for it. So we are going to local open shows pretty much every weekend which is ok with me- they are less expensive, gives me a chance to see where the horses are training wise and I spend less time traveling. I just got back from a local show- it was huge, incredible numbers-410 enteries on saturday. Remember, we are not in a population dense area either. People came out to show- this is what we spend our winters and money wanting to do. I overheard people saying they are going to show, just close to home.

There will come a time fuels prices will ease up and start coming down, in fact, many experts in the oil markets are predicting just that towards the end of the year. BTW- there are record crowds at the Disney theme parks both in Orlando, and out in Los Angeles. hmmmm.......

Anyway- start complaining to your congressmen- we need MORE oil from this country- stop banning oil drilling,start bulding refineries....

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-05-11 6:12 PM (#83705 - in reply to #83649)

Extreme Veteran

Not in a recession?  You and Dubya must have your heads in the same sandpit.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-05-11 8:03 PM (#83716 - in reply to #83649)

Expert

1 Recession-A decline in economic activity (GDP) that persists for at least two quarters

That has not happened. Despite the energy prices and mortage loan crisis, the GNP in the last two quaters have grown 1.6 and 1.7%. Weak by most stands, pretty good all thing considered.

The ecomony isn't great but it could be alot worse if we get a president in office who thinks the problem is we don't pay enough taxes or we aren't regulated  enough ( IE liberals or gutless republicans)

Here is some good news-

(AP) The Labor Department says the number of workers filing first-time claims for unemployment benefits fell sharply last week. New claims totaled 365,000, which is a drop of 18,000 from the previous week.
(AP) Some retailers saw a bit of sales relief last month, capping several months of dismal sales. Consumers were focusing on discounters and wholesale clubs, still shying away from stores selling clothes.
(AP) Stocks are mounting a tentative recovery effort after yesterday's 206-point drop in the Dow. The key averages have been higher since the opening bell.

Edited by farmbabe 2008-05-11 8:07 PM
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-05-11 8:11 PM (#83717 - in reply to #83649)

Extreme Veteran

The definition of recession here in Texas is when your neighbor loses his job.  When you lose your job, it's a full blown depression!
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-05-11 9:03 PM (#83719 - in reply to #83649)

Veteran

staying close to home more this spring... only went on 4 camping trips instead of 6 or 7 this spring..(fuel) just got back from loretta lynns dude ranch nice time they have built a wonderful barn this past yr..and its only 1 hour away... happy trails
Saddlebredlover
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-11 9:18 PM (#83723 - in reply to #83649)

Regular

In the past, I never thought twice about loading up on a Saturday to drive 1 1/2 hours to trail ride for the day, but a few weeks ago, I did that and it cost me $90 in gas.  I drove 2 hours, rode for 3 hours, and drove home and burned through a full tank of gas.  Nope, I won't do that again.  It's still eating at me that I wasted that much money on a 3 hour ride.  I'm getting to know my farming neighbors real well and have started riding around home on their land for some variety. 

I drive 7 hours south into Missouri to attend the CCTR in Eminence in October and will do whatever it takes to afford the gas to get there.   

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-11 10:33 PM (#83728 - in reply to #83716)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-05-11 9:03 PM

1 Recession-A decline in economic activity (GDP) that persists for at least two quarters

That has not happened. Despite the energy prices and mortage loan crisis, the GNP in the last two quaters have grown 1.6 and 1.7%. Weak by most stands, pretty good all thing considered.

The ecomony isn't great but it could be alot worse if we get a president in office who thinks the problem is we don't pay enough taxes or we aren't regulated  enough ( IE liberals or gutless republicans)

Here is some good news-

(AP) The Labor Department says the number of workers filing first-time claims for unemployment benefits fell sharply last week. New claims totaled 365,000, which is a drop of 18,000 from the previous week.
(AP) Some retailers saw a bit of sales relief last month, capping several months of dismal sales. Consumers were focusing on discounters and wholesale clubs, still shying away from stores selling clothes.
(AP) Stocks are mounting a tentative recovery effort after yesterday's 206-point drop in the Dow. The key averages have been higher since the opening bell.

As Alan Greenspan said...IF IT WALKS LIKE A DUCK...

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-05-11 11:59 PM (#83731 - in reply to #83716)

Expert

Call it what ever you want.

Housing prices have seen the greatest  reversal in the last 12 months since the Great depression.

Building Permits are off 40% from March 2007.  Which was off from March 2006.

Every bank has an inventory of homes they have foreclosed on. They are short selling those homes at 60-70% of their cost to build.

The price of materials to build a home have continued to increase.  Steel alone jumped a total of 40%  since February. ANYTHING tied to crude oil has increased in price. ( Plastics for carpet fibers or plumbing pipe, asphalt, shingles, tar paper).  I build a home and then have to sell it for $30,000 less than it cost me to build it. Or else eat the interest if I sit on it.

Since you can't sell a home today, there is no new work. So all the construction industry is on minimal hours. I get calls daily from crews looking for work.

When the recovery comes, I will have many many fewer competitors as they folded.

Past years, I didn't think twice about loading up the horse and driving a couple of hours to ride a new trail. I bought a new horse trailer and new equipement the last few years. Spent money. I'll do none of that this year. I'll make do with what I have.

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-05-12 9:14 AM (#83747 - in reply to #83649)

Veteran

I love to ride.  I will continue to ride (trail ride, I don't show) because riding makes me the happiest.  I just won't do other things, like eat out or shop as much.   My old tack will have to get me by for a few more years instead of buying that new set of biothane gear that I want.  I'll just cut costs in other places, but my riding schedule will stay the same, if not be MORE rides because of my new trailer.  Heck, if I'm paying for the truck, trailer, and horses.  I'm USING THEM!!!

Amanda

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-12 9:53 AM (#83751 - in reply to #83649)

Extreme Veteran

I am actually going to more shows this year since I have a yearling filly worth showing.  Have alot already invested in training, so still moving forward.

I do believe these fuel prices will be spreading the gap between the haves and have nots. 

I also believe the stupid bio fuel thing is going to make food prices (anything that uses corn), and hay prices sky rocket.  I am seein'g ALOT of farmers that normally have hay tilling up their fields and planting corn now.

I am staing out of the politics discussion, I just agree to disagree and keep my thoughts to myself, doesn't do anything but garner high bloodpressure...lol..

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-05-12 10:04 AM (#83755 - in reply to #83751)

Expert

Originally written by mrstacticalmedic on 2008-05-12 10:53 AM

I am actually going to more shows this year since I have a yearling filly worth showing.  Have alot already invested in training, so still moving forward.

I do believe these fuel prices will be spreading the gap between the haves and have nots. 

I also believe the stupid bio fuel thing is going to make food prices (anything that uses corn), and hay prices sky rocket.  I am seein'g ALOT of farmers that normally have hay tilling up their fields and planting corn now.

I am staing out of the politics discussion, I just agree to disagree and keep my thoughts to myself,  doesn't do anything but garner high bloodpressure...lol..

Read your post to yourself a couple or three time out loud!!...

the stupid bio fuel thing ....the stupid bio fuel thing ......and keep my thoughts to myself.....and keep my thoughts to myself ...the stupid bio fuel thing ....the stupid bio fuel thing ......and keep my thoughts to myself.....and keep my thoughts to myself, LOL!!!

sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-05-12 8:27 PM (#83794 - in reply to #83649)

Regular

We cut our breed show schedule down a little bit - I am going to stay at home and work that much harder so we can make the most of the few shows we do go to. I might hit a few local open shows - most are 20-30 miles away. On a side note, my husband noticed that by driving the speed limit (ie 55 not 60+) that he was able to get another 50 miles to a quarter tank of diesel...that was empty of course but we'll see how we do hauling in a few weeks.
3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-13 7:22 AM (#83821 - in reply to #83699)

Regular

OK..now pull back on the reins here......I am after people's comments on shows this summer & if they are willing to pay the price for fuel to still do what they love to do...ride and show......Everyone knows that this country is in the worse shape alot of us have ever seen it, but it all boils down to the people like to ones on this board, who work their ass off on a daily basis and then like to play on the weekend...camping,trail riding,showing,spending time with the kids...that is what really counts today.....and as a red blooded AMERICAN like I am , I am curious about everyone else...I'm going to pay the price for fuel to do what I need to do with my family this summer, just curious if everyone feels the same as me.....They cannot keep us down...They are trying!!!... We may bend, but we WILL NOT BREAK!!!.....Heck, it's only money....they make more everyday !!!...LOL !!!....keep the comments coming !!!....Thanks
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-05-13 8:58 AM (#83831 - in reply to #83649)

Veteran

I am about to leave to pick up a dressage horse in training and it will cost me about $135 in diesel to make the trip.  So, I'm taking two lessons on her and staying in the trailer overnight.  I had already decided to NOT do recognized shows this year for a variety of reasons but I thought I would be going and doing more.  Well, I am still riding, but at home or really close by.  Paul, I'm lucky that I already had my scores, but I don't really think it's going to be much of a problem with the changes from the first couple of drafts.  Our problem is going to be that shows become more "inbred" and you don't compete against people that are staying closer to home.  It's sort of hard to get a good perspective on your riding or training that way. 

ilhorsechick33
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-05-13 1:01 PM (#83847 - in reply to #83649)

I for one am not able to do much this year.  Had high hopes of doing some camping and showing, but I cant even afford to drive to work, home and to the farm and keep 2 places up.  I guess my horses might be glad, but I sure would rather be riding somewhere beautiful than looking at them in the pasture.  Dont y'all know not to argue with farmbabe by now.  Geez. 

Edited by ilhorsechick33 2008-05-13 1:04 PM
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-05-13 1:08 PM (#83849 - in reply to #83649)

Extreme Veteran

Naaaah, it's fun to rattle her cage every once in awhile.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-14 1:23 AM (#83905 - in reply to #83831)

Expert

Originally written by KeepsakeFarm on 2008-05-13 9:58 AM

I am about to leave to pick up a dressage horse in training and it will cost me about $135 in diesel to make the trip.  So, I'm taking two lessons on her and staying in the trailer overnight.  I had already decided to NOT do recognized shows this year for a variety of reasons but I thought I would be going and doing more.  Well, I am still riding, but at home or really close by.  Paul, I'm lucky that I already had my scores, but I don't really think it's going to be much of a problem with the changes from the first couple of drafts.  Our problem is going to be that shows become more "inbred" and you don't compete against people that are staying closer to home.  It's sort of hard to get a good perspective on your riding or training that way.  

So are you a Silver or Gold Medalist in the USDF?

Well, this is where we'll be this coming weekend...

http://www.neda.org/Education-SpringFling.html

We are lucky in that are Region 8 is real small...

Region 8 States: Connecticut; Maine; Massachusetts; New Hampshire; New York; Rhode Island; Vermont

and we also are involved with Region 1 States: Delaware; Maryland; New Jersey; North Carolina; Pennsylvania; Virginia; East West Virginia; Washington, DC

Finally, In our case...we have DEVON in SEP...with plenty of USEF quality competitors...

3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-14 8:29 AM (#83921 - in reply to #83649)

Regular

$3.83 unleaded

$4.28 diesel

unleaded jumped from $3.65 at 6pm yesterday.....
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)