'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
troubles with Logan Coach LQ axels

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-04-24 2:33 PM
26 replies, 14814 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cancrashinmama
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-07 12:12 PM (#83392)
Subject: troubles with Logan Coach LQ axels

I was wondering if anyone else has been having trouble with their Logan Coach Living Quarters. The weight on my trailer was marked down wrong on the front. My trailer weighs 12,360 and had two 7,ooo lbs axels under it. It came from the factory that way. Now Logan coach is trying to look the other way. My trailer has been used about 8,000 miles. Check your axels on your living quarters. And go weigh your trailer. Seems to me that some of the companies are taking short cuts. I have had 2 different incidents that could have been fatal.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HelenaTrailers
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-07 2:29 PM (#83414 - in reply to #83392)
Subject: RE: troubles with Logan Coach LQ axels

As a dealer I have seen quite a few issues with trailers and trailer axles but none with Logans. I am a Logan Dealer here in Montana and try to warn our customers when they are interested in one that they are heavier trailers. They are still not as heavy as others but when you do the math you are probably not over weighted. As a rule of thumb, 20-30% of the weight of a GN trailer transfers to the truck so with your trailer weighing in at 12,360 you will transfer any where between 2472lbs to 3708lbs. When you subtract those figures from your GVW (14K) you can load between 4112lbs and 5348lbs of weight with out your GVW becoming a major issue.
cancrashinmama
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-07 3:09 PM (#83421 - in reply to #83414)

I'm glad I'm talking to a Logan Dealer. The reason why I bought a 2005 4 horse mid tack 8 foot lq is the steel frame and the sturdiness that the aluminum trailers don't give. This trailer had 2 -seven thousand axels. After about three thousand miles....(I bought this new in 2006), I had 2 major blowouts in UT, the tires were practically new, ...No, I didn't hit anything, but the blowouts were10 minutes apart. This was in August. Well, the axel shifted, the rubber arm on the left back axel shifted, and well it wasn't pretty. Logan manufact wasn't much help, but to blame it on Dexter axels.  The mechanic that replaced the bad axel with another 7 thousand lb axel said that this particular trailer should have 2 eight thousand pound axels instead of 7. So, seven months went by, and 5 thousand miles, it happened again. But, this time it was the front axes. I've been told by several mechanics that the axels on the trailer should be 8 thousand not 7. Again, Logan Coach factories won't back their product.  Both mishaps, the fender blew off. The last mishap, 2  weeks ago, blew off while on the freeway, and missed hitting cars.They dodged to miss the fender. I'm in the middle of hauling my daughter to high school rodeos here in NV, and am having to beg and borrow to use at least a goose neck to get to the rodeo.  I'm so unhappy the was the "manager" in Logan at the factory has treated me. If he was a good manager, he would stand behind his product .  Help me if you can. Suggestions??

cancrashinmama
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-07 3:10 PM (#83422 - in reply to #83414)

Oh, and I haul just 3 - 1000 lb horses!
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-05-07 4:00 PM (#83429 - in reply to #83392)

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like more of a tire issue to me.... I do agree that those axles sound a little light for a trailer that size.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-07 4:09 PM (#83430 - in reply to #83392)

I agree with greyhorse, sounds like a tire issue, August in Nevada and how fast were you driving?  Those axles should give you around 18,000# total load, more than adequate for that trailer. I have never heard of a Dexter torflex axle shifting. They are normally welded to the frame. Doesn't sound like Logan's problem to me.
cancrashinmama
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-07 4:25 PM (#83434 - in reply to #83429)

These were factory tires.
cancrashinmama
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-07 4:26 PM (#83436 - in reply to #83430)

Could be....but those tires came with the new trailer.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-05-07 4:31 PM (#83438 - in reply to #83392)

Expert

Me no speak.....Chinese!!
cancrashinmama
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-07 4:46 PM (#83442 - in reply to #83438)

Could be huh??? With the amount I paid for it you think they would put American rubber on!

HelenaTrailers
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-07 5:14 PM (#83445 - in reply to #83392)

It is hard to tell if the problem rests in the tires or the axles. I can say I have had few issues with tires here myspef however I just make sure to get our customers new ones and then I deal with Logan direct to get the replacement. As far as the axles are concerned I am surprised it shifted. I have never seen that before. Have you had any more problems since the last incident?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-05-07 6:37 PM (#83448 - in reply to #83392)

Expert

I have a 4 horse  Logan XT with the Platinum LQ.  It's loaded. Mangers, Awnings, People water and Extra horse water.  I carry saddles & tack, winter blankets, camping gear, lawn chairs, generator. I think I have loaded it up pretty full.

It has two 7000 lb axles with the Goodyear "G" rated tires that came stock with the trailer. Loaded. with my family, 4 horses, all camping gear. I weighed myself several time on the state line scales between Utah & Wyoming and I am right at max GCVW for the truck and  I have 11,300 lbs on the trailer axles. Which is under the 14,000 lbs they are rated for.

Before you holler about Logan using the wrong axles, Load the trailer up and go weigh it on a scale and see exactly how much weight is on the axles. Not how much the trailer weighs when it's unhooked from the truck or what's stamped on the frame, But what actually sits on the trailer axles when it is hooked up.  I really doubt that you are over the axle rating.

I don't know what tires Logan put on their 2005 trailers. But if you are having tire failures. I suspect bad tires. Either because they have sat outside too long and  they have dry rotted, Or the previous owner or dealer swapped the original tires for a second rate set before selling you the trailer, or maybe Logan used a cheaper tire back in 2005.  The 7000 lb axles should have a "G" rated tire.  What rating did the tires on the trailer that blew have? To get an 8000 lb axle, you will probably have to go to the next size rim. (I could be wrong here) but I don't recall any 16" tires rated at 4000 lbs per tire. You typically have to go to a 17.5" or 19" commercial wheel and tire for that load rating. Which would make your replacement tires cost a more.

I've had great support from Logan on warranty issues. They don't strike me as a company that will ignore a legitimate warranty problem. They use jigs to hold everything in exact place while they weld the assemblies together. I doubt your axles are welded in the wrong position. They might have moved as a result of bad blow out or other use. If they are avoiding you, I suspect they believe the problem is something with in your control and not a manufacturing issue. If the axles are causing the problem, it's probably a rarity for them and you may need to collect and organize your data and make a valid argument to their warranty department.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-05-07 6:48 PM (#83450 - in reply to #83392)

Expert

cancrashinmama, what's the total GVWR on your trailer, I know you got 7000# axles, but what does it read on the data plate as the GVWR? 14,000#, 15,000#, 16,000#, 17,000#?
st_pinetree
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-08 2:18 PM (#83527 - in reply to #83392)

I have an 07 Logan. The factory tires are chinese cheapos. That is probably your fundamental problem. I would agree with you on one thing though, Logans warranty stuff sucks the big one. I've been waiting on them to send me a few parts for months, call after call...it's in the mail. I really like a lot of things about the trailer and what you get for the money, but the customer service is about nil.
cancrashinmama
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-08 3:39 PM (#83533 - in reply to #83450)

I'll have to go to town to check.....there is a sticker with the weights over another one with the weights. I'll get back to you on the weight...even the cop said I was over weight, but I will get back to you when I go to town to check it out.
cancrashinmama
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-08 4:02 PM (#83537 - in reply to #83448)

I was told on both incidents that it was the axels, the people that told me were the insurance appraisers, and a few different mechanics.  This is a puzzle,,, and I intend to get to the bottom of it. On the nose of my trailer where its posted the gvw. etc, well it looks like the one reading was taped to another reading.  I know about the G tires on the trailer, and after the first incident when I broke down in UT and got the tires in Malad City, I was very specific I wanted the best ply tires for the trailer. 
HelenaTrailers
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-08 6:28 PM (#83543 - in reply to #83392)

Have you contacted Dexter or taken the trailer somewhere specific to have just the axles checked? If it is a tire problem (and you have extra money floating around) you might think about upgrading to larger rims, which typically give you a higher ply number.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-05-08 7:34 PM (#83548 - in reply to #83392)

Elite Veteran

FWIW, my 2005 Logan came from the factory with top of the line Goodyear trailer tires. 
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-05-08 9:40 PM (#83554 - in reply to #83392)

Veteran

Most trailer manufacturers offer a variety of axle and tire choices Some dealers and a few uneducated customers, however, choose not to pay for these options as it drives the price up on the trailer. IMHO, dealers are soley the blame for ordering and selling trailers that have to small axles/sup-par tires, just to save a few bucks. (Most trailer salespeople I know have never owned or even stayed in an LQ trailer)
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-05-08 11:38 PM (#83556 - in reply to #83392)

Expert

I lood at my trailers sticker.  It says my trailer is rated  for 14,000lbs.   It shows two 7000lb axles   and says my max cargo should not exceed 5140 lbs.

I would assume that means my empty trailer weight is 8860 lbs.

and I'm really surprised to hear people getting Logan Trailers with chinese tires.  Every one I looked at last year came with Goodyear Tires. Maybe it's an option the dealers choose.

I did notice that the 11' and shorter SW all come with the 7000lb axles and "G-rated" tires.  The 13' & 15' shortwalls come with the 8000lb axles and  "G-rated" tires. If they are the same size tire as the 7000lb axles, then the tires are the week link 4 tires @ 3750 lbs each = 15,000

barnestrading
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-10 1:20 PM (#83659 - in reply to #83554)

Regular

First my is not a Logan, but when I ordered my trailer the dealer contacted the sales rep at the manufacture with the list of options offered on that trailer and was I told NOTHING about upgrading tires or axles.  I was told that my trailer had quality 14 ply tires!  WHAT A LOAD OF GRAP!

My vin plate states 2-7-k axles with a cawr of 14-k and a gvwr of 18,667lbs.  And the manufacture website states a dry weight of 10,650lbs.  ALL WRONG!  Went to certified CAT scales and found out the dry gross weight is 12,760lbs, dry axle weight is 88 and some change, loaded gross is 18770lbs and loaded axle weight is 14,660lbs with small horses!

When I bought the trailer I based my figures on the manufactures weight numbers and if they was right, everything would be fine!  But since this trailer is 2110lbs over the actual dry weight everything is off!

LOOK AT THE POST ABOUT FLOOR IS STEEL LQ'S and the post about BULLDOG GOOSENECK HITCH!

mschelletoo
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2012-04-24 2:13 AM (#143330 - in reply to #83527)

New User

The axels on a 2011 Logan Coach LQ were crooked, doesn't matter who made the tires none are designed to run sideways. Bad welds in the floor of the trailer area too, please check your welds too its not just the axles. The safety of you and your horses may be at stake. Contacted Logan and they said it was user error etc. Don't think they care! Please be safe get an inspection, one life lost is too many!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-04-24 7:16 AM (#143334 - in reply to #83392)

Expert

I'm surprised to see this 4 year old thread pop back up. But since it has, I'll comment again.

In the fall of 2010, I hit something on the road and it bent my two axles on my Logan coach. With in a 100 miles I had a blow out on a good tire.  I got a new spare on and had another blow out with in a 100 miles.  Because of blowing out two good tires, we started by looking at the axles.

What ever I hit had bent my axles out of alignment.  I was getting ready to order two new axles when a friend suggested I take the trailer in and have the existing axles straightened.  I took it into TDS in Ogden Utah and they have a large Rack setup for working on large trucks and trailers,  It easily accomodated my 4H 9'LQ trailer  Thy hooked up the alignment tools and had the lasers shooting back and forth. The computer printed out a read out showing how both axles were out of alignment. They used a hydraulic press and bent the axles back into alignment. Total cost $80 per axle or $160. Far cheaper than buying new axles.

It has now been about 20 months. I've made trips through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Arizona with no tire problems.

My Logan Coach trailer was a 2006 and had easily 20,000 miles on the factory axles before the problem occured. It was strictly a road hazard problem and not a factory defect.

Since restriaghtening the axles, my trailer has probably about 5000 miles on it with no problems or excessive wear.

TDS warned that this is something they can only do once or twice, since the process takes some of the strength out of the original axle. They said it is an extremely common problem with Boat owners, who have a tendency to try and back their boat trailers up over curbs when they back into their home parking area. Hitting the curb while backing, especially where one tires hits prior to the other, can easily tweak the axle. The tech said they do a lot of boat axles repairs, Since it's easy to get at the axle when the boat if off the trailer. He said horse trailers pose a different problem, because of the weight and size of the trailer. and how close the axles are positioned to the floor of the trailer, makes it difficult to get the hydraulic presses in position to properly staighten the axles.

My advice to anyone who has destroyed a good tire in very short mileage is to get your axles checked for alignment. Even the best tires won't last 100 miles if they are being pushed at an angle to the direction of travel. Horse trailers take a lot of abuse, We pull them down washboarded dirt roads. On narrow forest service roads, they some times off-track off the shoulder of the road and bounce over rocks.  Even in town driving, sometimes sends a trailer tire over a curb when we have to make tight turns onto roads with high traffic volumn.

Tennman
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2012-04-24 10:27 AM (#143344 - in reply to #83392)

New User

This is a tire problem, not an axle problem. Air pressure. GVWR is base on 2 components. Axles and tires. If the tires are low even 5 psi, they cannot carry the weight they are rated for. Ambient temp. amplifies this effect. Two tires blowing that close together in August in Nevada. Low tire pressure, not axles. Granted the the 7000 lb axles are real close to being maxed out in a fully loaded situation, but it doesn't require 8K axles.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2012-04-24 11:12 AM (#143345 - in reply to #83392)

Expert

Originally written by cancrashinmama on 2008-05-07 12:12 PM

I was wondering if anyone else has been having trouble with their Logan Coach Living Quarters. The weight on my trailer was marked down wrong on the front. My trailer weighs 12,360 and had two 7,ooo lbs axels under it. It came from the factory that way. Now Logan coach is trying to look the other way. My trailer has been used about 8,000 miles. Check your axels on your living quarters. And go weigh your trailer. Seems to me that some of the companies are taking short cuts. I have had 2 different incidents that could have been fatal.
What tires do you have on this trailer?And what are the DOT codes on those tires?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)