'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Lakota LQ trailers

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-03-18 12:38 PM
77 replies, 41927 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

millbrow
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-03-13 5:36 PM (#79515)
Subject: Lakota LQ trailers

Any one have any comments on Lakota LQ trailers?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkthisway
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-03-18 10:50 PM (#79854 - in reply to #79515)
Subject: RE: Lakota LQ trailers

New User

Millbrow,

Here is what I posted on our experience with Lakota Trailers awhile back about 5 months ago... Great Trailer! If you have any specific questions let me know...

Patrick

Hello everyone we are new to the board and just wanted to share with everyone the experience we had when purchasing our new Lakota trailer! We had been looking/researching for over a year online, w/ friends and at the 06 Quarter Horse Congress and 07 Equine Affair and this year after spending three straight weekends at congress looking at nothing but trailers, we were most impressed with the structural integrity of the Lakota brand and the professionalism and patience of the sales managers from Lakota Headquarters.The interior is by far the nicest we have seen without going the route of a custom conversion i.e. duster etc... To give you an idea of what our comparison market was we were looking at the following trailers.. Exiss, Kiefer Built, 4-Star, Cimarron etc. Instead of taking the trailer home with us on the last day of congress it was going to be trailered back up to their HQ where they were more than willing to due some additional upgrades to a already built trailer. Which no other manufacture was willing to entertain the thought of doing! We were invited to the HQ in Bristol, IN two weeks later to pickup our new trailer and take a tour of their manufacturing plant. We were very impressed walking the assembly line seeing a trailer at the beginning's of the framing process to nearing the end of completion where the LQ's were being built out. The whole trailer is built under one roof from the LQ to the slideouts etc.. Nothing is outsourced like many other trailer manufactures.. We even had the chance to meet and talk with the president of the company. The 4 hour + ride home gave us a chance to feel how the trailer would pull minus the horses and it pulled great! Last weekend we took the horses out for a ride at Kiser Lake, OH and truck and it was a pleasure driving/pulling the truck and trailer.

I would also like to take a moment and say thank you to all of you who post on these forums and any other forums as I have gained a wealth of knowledge about trailer quality, brands etc. In return if you ever have any questions about trailers in general or the Lakota brand fee free to ask...

Link to pics of new trailer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9881279@N02/?saved=1

Thanks,

Patrick & Amy

Proud New Owners of a 08 Lakota 3H Slant 10' SW w/Slide out and Midtack!
mysticsmom
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-20 10:04 AM (#79964 - in reply to #79515)

"I just wanted to express my gratitude for helping to sponsor me by use of your trailer. This trailer is exactly what I pictured and more. My horses have already ridden in it and seem to enjoy the ride. They really like the spaciousness of the extra wide stalls. My advanced horse feels much more confident going into the 7’6” tall rather than the 7’. You were all great to work with and I appreciated this very much. This trailer will be traveling the country this summer, and will continue to go from show to show. This is a great trailer to promote, and I have already given people your information about trailers. I will send pictures of my advanced horse, and we are trying to qualify to be at Rolex Kentucky next year. Thank you again for all of your help, and for this amazing trailer."

Sarah

"I just wanted to drop you a line to tell you how much we like our new HUT…we haven’t had a chance to take it camping yet but we have enjoyed going through it and showing it off to our neighbors and family. We have tried out many of the functions and everything is good. Thanks again for the great treatment and a great trailer! In a nutshell.. Great Product ! Good people to work with both at the dealership and the factory. Lakota has put a lot of thought into details and we are proudly showing them off ! If things continue the way that they have so far, we will be good ambassadors for Lakota and Midway Trailer sales !!"

Sandy and Jim

"I absolutely love our new trailer!! Thanks for for all of your help."

Della - Proud new owner of Lakota HUT

"I would like to let you know what a nice representative you have for Lakota Trailers in Martinsville,In. I just bought your HUT trailer from him and want you to know that he was kind,courteous,professional and just plain bent over backwards to help me in every way possible. A very good experience in buying the trailer. Just wanted you to know. "

Thank you, Billie

"On June 1st I purchased a Lakota B.P. Hut trailer. I am so pleased with it that I wanted to write to you. As a 64 year old woman, I feel that this trailer fills a need in the industry for the upcoming baby boomers. I would love to buy stock in your company as this trailer is a money maker. It is a well planned trailer that has so many plusses for the weekend camper. I would highly recommend this trailer to anyone who does not have a truck and wants to camp with their horse."

Sincerely, Karen

Juliblee
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-04-01 2:40 PM (#80898 - in reply to #79515)

I purchased a HUT and since doing so I have almost been killed three times.  I am fine until I put that second horse in the trailer.  Do you pull 2 horses?  and if so and you have no problems please let me know how you are setup to tow. 

Example...truck, hitch, equalizer bars? and/or antisway etc.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-01 3:34 PM (#80901 - in reply to #80898)

Expert

What are you pulling it with? is it the 6;9" wide or the 8' wide model?

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-04-01 3:38 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-01 5:12 PM (#80906 - in reply to #79515)

Expert

CRG, this is the two horse BP with LQ that snakes all over the road when loaded with two horses. She has purchased everything new, and every type of equipment including a truck, in an effort to make the rig work.

It won't. When she said she was almost killed, she wasn't exaggerating.

This original posting was a couple of months ago.

Gard

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-01 5:15 PM (#80909 - in reply to #80906)

Expert

I'll takea look at it.I had not remembered reading it,but,I remember seeing the new prototype in some literature,or someplace.

I wonder what the problem is? Is it the weight,or the length,or the general design of it? It looks ideal for say a single person.

Juliblee
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-04-01 5:49 PM (#80914 - in reply to #79515)

Hi it is Teri who wrote about the Lakota trailer mentioned here.  the problem is that the second horse has it's front legs over the back wheel of the trailer but his hind end is not over the wheel well and I think that is why the second horse causes the sway.  Let me tell you on Friday it was the tail wagging the dog...something no one would ever wish to happen.  It took my two hands on the wheel, forget trying to uses the electric brake switch to help me.  I was on the shoulder of the interstate listening to the brump..brump...brump when you hit the rough edge of the shoulder telling you that you are going off the road.  If I had gone off the edge onto the soft shoulder I know I would have flipped the trailer as I would have had no control.  The thing that upsets me most is that I have tried everything and can you imagine the shock when this happened and I was ready for everyting to be alright.  I cry a lot now.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-04-02 9:50 AM (#80948 - in reply to #79515)

Expert

CRG, here's the original thread....  http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=8810&start=1

I believe I would be on the phone with Lakota everyday until they bought this HUT bumper pull trailer back. You got a nice enough truck now to pull a decent size gooseneck LQ! I wonder how many they have sold and how many of them are having the same problems. Some folks may only be carrying one horse or maybe a couple 700-900# horses. They are not adding enough weight behind the wheels to upset the balance.

Anyway, I'm no trailer engineer, but the first time I looked at one I had this feeling that the axles were too far forward. I guess you got to add some type of ballast to the nose of the trailer like hanging suit case weights on the front of a farm tractor, to compensate for the weight of the second horse hanging behind the axles.

Don't cry, that ain't going to make it right. Call the dealer you bought it from and call Lakota and give them HELL!! This has been going on long enough..

You don't want your horses to end up like these...  http://www.naturalhorsetrim.com/Trailer_wreck.htm

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-02 10:13 AM (#80951 - in reply to #79515)

Expert

MYSTICSMOM,

One of the amended rules in effect for this form, is the disclosure of any poster to provide his relationship to the product or dealership of which he is involved. Yours is?

Gard

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-02 10:51 AM (#80955 - in reply to #80948)

Expert

Rentento's right,gal.Don't cry about it,that's what would make their day,to be able to classify you as a weak,timid,sniveling female who backs down in the face of the big boys (and girls) that would like you to just "go away." You stay after them,and notify every agency that you think might be interested if they aren't willing to make this right,such as: your state's attorney general's office,BBB,ect ect.

"Whose top dog,baby sister?" "The one that fights the hardest." ('Comes A Horseman')

Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-04-02 11:06 AM (#80957 - in reply to #80951)

Veteran

Gard, MYSTICSMOM is 'Gator Trailers" in Sorento, FL. They sell Lakota Trailers. NO bias here!
Juliblee
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-04-02 11:41 AM (#80959 - in reply to #80951)

You are right, MYSTICSMOM is Gator Trailers in Sorento, Florida who I have spoken with and is a Lakota dealer that was very helpful in showing me the equalizer bar she uses when she sells a Lakota HUT.

Lakota said to do it.....and I did it.

Lakota just wrote and said I should contact Gator Trailers and trade in my HUT for a g/n.  I would like to know what Gator Trailers is going to do if I do this.  Who will be sold my trailer and then what?

I have to think on this.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-02 1:12 PM (#80971 - in reply to #80959)

Expert

Be sure that you hang onto that correspondence (email,ect) from Lakota advising you to trade in your HUT for a GN.
Juliblee
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-04-02 2:10 PM (#80981 - in reply to #79515)

I am going to contact the dealer the mfg says to and try and get this resolved.  I do appreciate the mfg trying to work this out with me.  I also appreciate Gator Trailers for helping as this is not where I purchased the HUT from.  they have offered to help me since this problem started also. I have heard nothing from the dealer I purchased this from.  Shame on them.  I will let you know how this works out.....hopefully well.

Thank you all

driver
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-04-03 12:34 PM (#81051 - in reply to #79515)

While it seems that you are well-advised to replace your HUT with a Gooseneck LQ, it makes me wonder, what happens to the next person who gets your old trailer? Obviously, if it sways dangerously for you, it will be the same for the next victim.

Since the manufacturer recommends that you get rid of the trailer, are they going to re-imburse for the trade difference in a new vs. used model? What about all the other bumper pull LQ trailers out their with heavy tongue weight? Good luck.

Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-04-03 3:40 PM (#81063 - in reply to #79515)

Veteran

You need to get a FULL refund from the dealer you purchased from and go look for a GN. Trust me, you'll be a lot further ahead than trying to trade!!!!!!
Juliblee
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-04-03 3:55 PM (#81064 - in reply to #79515)

I am working with a Lakota dealer to replace my model with a gooseneck.  Unfortunately they do not have used trailers and I know the gooseneck is going to be more than I can afford right now.  Remember I also purchased a truck but I have to see what we can do to work this out.  the main problem is I have spent a lot of money and the banker is broke.  Remember I did not plan any of this to happen.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-03 4:13 PM (#81065 - in reply to #81063)

Expert

I doubt that an act of Congress would get her a full refund on her trailer.I certainly do wish her the best in a difficult situation.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-04-03 4:21 PM (#81066 - in reply to #79515)

Extreme Veteran

I was just wondering when you buy a vehicle (in Georgia) that is a "lemon" there is a law requiring the buy back of the vehicle. It must be well documented and most times requires the services of an attorney but it can be done. My BF had to have Ford buy back an 04 F250. It was an exhausting experience but was finally made right. Is there such a deal on trailers?
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-04-03 4:28 PM (#81067 - in reply to #79515)

I would think that it would be in the best interest of the manufacturer to "buy" back the lemon unit than to pay the settlement AFTER the wreck. Since the settlement after the WRECK could end up costing them 100 times the value of the trailer. Get an attorney. You should be able to carry two horses in a two horse trailer safely, if the trailer was engineered right.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-03 4:37 PM (#81068 - in reply to #79515)

Expert

In law, there's a clause that states a product has a "Warranty of Merchantability". What that means is, if a manufacturer makes, promotes and sells a product for a specific purpose, that product has to be able to do what it was sold to do. If it does not, the manufacturer can be held accountable, and be forced to make restitution.

Lakota has sent her a letter stating their intentions to settle the matter. It will be interesting to see how serious they are in doing so.

Gard

mysticsmom
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-04-07 2:35 PM (#81401 - in reply to #80951)

When I first responded it was just as a user of the HUT and then I got pulled in with Teri because I also am a dealer for Lakota and she came to me asking for advice. I asked to see her unit because I was worried it was not hooked up correctly. Lakota has sold over 35+ of the smaller units just like hers and no problems. I also have over a dozen HUTS running around Florida and no problems. They are a top selling model that people just love. Teri declined my offer and is wanting a gooseneck in trade. She wants an extra horse stall, larger stalls, and a gooseneck. I am trying to fix the situation but she was not interested in another HUT or replacement of the unit, just a larger gooseneck. I have concerns that she won't let me help since I did not sell the unit but would like to keep the Lakota name in a positive light. I am not bias, because believe me that if there was a problem, Lakota along with myself would fix it immediatley. If you look on the forums people are always commenting about how good and quick the service and warranty is for Lakota. That is why I represent them and feel strongly that Teri will be happy in the end. Her trailer if traded will not be sold until it is gone over by the manufacturer.  I know Lakota has offered to take hers back as a trade but not for even money. There hasn't been anything proven wrong with her unit to date and she won't let me see it on her truck with the weight distribution hitch.

Edited by mysticsmom 2008-04-07 2:42 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-07 3:44 PM (#81406 - in reply to #81401)

Expert

Thank you for posting another side of the story.That is only fair to dealers and to Lakota.I did not myself,imagine for a minute that Lakota was about to offer her an even trade on a 3H GN LQ for the HUT.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-04-07 8:39 PM
gatorjet
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-04-07 3:59 PM (#81407 - in reply to #79515)

Mysticsmom,

I noticed you said you are a "user" of the Hut. (The Fl Lakota dealer as well)  I see where Teri asked you have you ever pulled 2 horses in that trailer and you never did respond to that.  I can assure you Teri's rig is hooked up properly (She had three professional people look over the rig and even had a professional truck driver hook it for the last test drive she will ever take) and I am sure if you as a dealer would like to drive to Naples to view the truck and trailer yourself she would be more than happy to let you see it.  You stated she wants a larger unit, extra stalls etc etc- I recall her post saying she was even willing to swap Lakota for a USED goosneck trailer just to be safe.  I am sure if you had a 2 horse gooseneck with L/Q she would be happy with that.  It is my understanding you do not offer that.  So to sit on this chat and state she wants bigger and better is false and paints this post in the wrong light.  I think most people on this chat would agree that she just wants Lakota to fix this problem.  I don't think Teri should have to do another thing.  I think Lakota should send their rep to Naples and do whatever tests need to be done.  I also think Lakota should deliver a new gooseneck trailer to her or offer her 100% of her money back to her.  I also know that Teri has had correspondence with other Hut owners that have the same problem.  You are going to find the HUT trailer is defective in design.  I think Teri is frustrated and I think Lakota has asked her to do enough and Lakota should send a rep to her.   She is trying to get this problem resolved not upgrade to a "bigger and better unit"  She could have just traded it but she is fearful for whoever else might end up with it.  I find that a far cry from "wanting just a larger gooseneck"  

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)