'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Approximately how much per month will it cost me for 1 horse?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-09 9:41 PM
33 replies, 8347 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

azmusclecar
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-02-17 2:11 PM (#77062)
Subject: Approximately how much per month will it cost me for 1 horse?

I had a horse some 15 years ago here in Arizona and I found buying the horse was the inexpensive thing. At todays costs, how much would I be smart to budget to own 1 horse, 15 year old Arabian. I'll be relocating and keeping it on my own 3 acre property year round in Central Pennsylvania? I do have a barn and stable but very small pasture area.I retired 2 years ago and have the opportunity to receive a member of my families horse. They want me to have it because of my experience, enjoyment and care for my horse previously. The horse will be a gift from the family member and I would like to accept it but I'm afraid of the impact it may have on my fixed income.Any help or advice is appreciated. I need to make up my mind soon.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-02-17 2:35 PM (#77063 - in reply to #77062)
Subject: RE: Approximately how much per month will it cost me for 1 horse?

Veteran

In my case. I have 6 horses. Until recently I had no idea how much my horses were costing me until a friend of mine asked me the same question you are asking. The only answer I can give you is that all horses are different. I have one horse that can just look at feed and gains 50 lbs and others that I could feed 4 times a day and would barely gain a pound. I have 2 horses that barely cost me $50 a month (each) in feed, hay, farrier and wormings, (vet bills not included) but others that cost me almost $300 a month.
So, I guess it would depend on the horse and situation. Vet bills are a totally different story, as you probably already know.
Good Luck!!
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-17 2:47 PM (#77066 - in reply to #77062)

Elite Veteran

Your largest cost will be hay, grain and farrier. Here is the breakdown of costs for keeping a horse in my area (Kansas).

1 Bale Brome hay - $4.00 This should last you 2 days at feeding 4-5 flakes daily. You most likely will not have enough pasture not to feed hay daily.

Grain - Depending on the nutritional needs of the horse, amount of exercise etc. An Average would be $10 a bag.

Worming - every other month since your pasture is small. $3-12 a tube depending on type and brand.

Farrier - $35 trim, $85 shoes. Trim/shod every 6-8 weeks.

Water - $15 a month. A horse will usually drink 5-10 gallons a day depending on the weather. Heated water will be required in the winter so you'll see a small rise in your electric bill too.

Vet care - Expect $300 a year. This includes vaccinations and unexpected minor injury etc. Can run much higher if horse colics, gets cut etc.

Goat - $75-100. Horses are herd animals. He/She would be happiest with a buddy.

Shavings - $6.00 a bag. This is if you intend to stall your horse during cold or extreme heat with a fan.

Horse Insurance - if the animal needs to insured incase of death. You'll also need to make sure your current homeowners insurance has a farm animal clause in it just in case the horse escapes and someone hits it and tries to sue you for negligence, loss of property etc.

There are many other unexpected costs too associated with having a horse. If it needs a tune-up then there will be training costs. Owning a horse a huge commitment of time and care. Not to mention the financial costs. I say owning a horse is 90% hard labor and 10% fun play. But to me grooming, training, stall cleaning, and riding is relaxing and satisfying work.

You'll need to decide if you have the time and money to keep a horse happy and healthy. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by ponytammy 2008-02-17 2:49 PM
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-17 3:20 PM (#77070 - in reply to #77062)

Expert

Originally written by azmusclecar on 2008-02-17 3:11 PM

I had a horse some 15 years ago here in Arizona and I found buying the horse was the inexpensive thing. At todays costs, how much would I be smart to budget to own 1 horse, 15 year old Arabian. I'll be relocating and keeping it on my own 3 acre property year round in Central Pennsylvania? I do have a barn and stable but very small pasture area.I retired 2 years ago and have the opportunity to receive a member of my families horse. They want me to have it because of my experience, enjoyment and care for my horse previously. The horse will be a gift from the family member and I would like to accept it but I'm afraid of the impact it may have on my fixed income.Any help or advice is appreciated. I need to make up my mind soon.

So YOU are moving to PA?

How much is heating going to cost you in PA vs AZ?

Before you accept the horse, you may want to re-evaluated your living costs in PA...especially your Property and School TAXES...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-02-17 3:22 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-17 3:51 PM (#77074 - in reply to #77062)

Expert

The easiest way to find out is to call a feed store in the area you are moving to and find out local feed/hay prices.  Then call a farrier in the new area and find out how much it is to trim/shoe.  Maybe it's just where I've lived but I've never heated the water.  You won't be paying board so you don't have to worry about that.  I have a savings account just for the animals I add to every pay day for emergencies.   Definately check on property taxes.  If you already have the property you know what they run.  Call the tax acessor in that area and see if they charge taxes on livestock and how much.  In NM I pay $20 a year for 6.  In Tx there was no livestock tax.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-02-17 4:43 PM (#77082 - in reply to #77062)

Elite Veteran

Another thing to do is check with a local extension office to check the "stocking rate" in your area. Here in my area of Kansas it's approximately 5-7 acres per horse depending on how good the grass is. Where I grew up in Washington it was one animal per acre. Difference in climate, accessibility to water, etc. That will dramatically affect your hay costs right there.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-17 5:29 PM (#77090 - in reply to #77062)

Veteran

One thing to keep in mind is to always have an emergency fund as well.  A colic surgery and recovery can run anywhere from 5,000 and up.  However, if you have horse health insurance, you may not have to worry as much about this.  I would definetely check that out in your case.  Check out some different equine insurance agencies-you can usually find them advertised in any equine publication.  Another thing is that what hay ran last year, is not necessarly what it will run this year-as many of us have seen!  So make sure that you have enough room in the budget for price fluctuations.  You may also look into a bartering system to help stay within budget-ie do you have any skills that you could trade for something else?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-02-17 5:37 PM (#77092 - in reply to #77062)

Expert

I figure $1100 per year, per horse. @ $3.00 per bale, my horses eat 1/3 bale a day or $1.00 day = $365 If you are paying more than $3 per bale, your cost will be more. Farrier is $65 to shoe x 4 sets of shoes during riding season and 1 winter trim =$300 No shoes in the winter Wormers $40 per year Vet bills for routine shots and coggins/health certificates $300 That leaves $85 for misc stuff. salt, mineral blocks, fly spray etc. Now this does not included any tack, trailer, housing, fence upkeep, or any major health issues. Colic, Hoof abcess, Strangles or other sickness.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-17 5:57 PM (#77095 - in reply to #77062)

Expert

It depends on so much- most pleasure horses don't need an grain or supplements. (Buying good quality hay will save money on grains) Most horses do well without shoes ( but your riding conditions and the hoof health will dictate that) Other than routine shots, vet care is generally limited with a otherwise healthy horse. Shop around for your feed and services.

You can get by and still take good care of your horses without being anal about stuff. Hooves don't always need a trim every 8 weeks...sometimes you can prolong it.Deworming can be done 4 times a year and not compromise health. I would ask around and get rpices on things you kow your going to need on a monthly basis. Since you have horse experience, you know what that is.

PS arabians are a good choice!

Edited by farmbabe 2008-02-17 6:02 PM
horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-02-17 6:56 PM (#77104 - in reply to #77062)

Veteran

I live about 5 miles from the Pa line.I have 3 horses on 3 acers.You will need to make sure you have a sacrifice lot and to small feilds to rotate to keep your pasture.Although with one horse you should be fine.I keep mine on the sacrifice lot during the day in the summer with hay ,and out in the field at night.In the winter they are on hay all the time and don't go out in the field at all.They stay in my dirt lot area.Hay around here right now is going anywhere from 5.50 a bale to 8.00 a bale.Round bales anywhere from $55-75 .grain is anywhere from $8-13 I do not spend $300 in vet bills .I do all shots myself(that I can) and have the vet out once a year for rabies and coggins and teeth.Other than that I have been very lucky and no problems.My horses are barefoot right now and they get trimmed every 8 weeks @$20 a horse.I have mine on daily wormer and worm with a paste for bots and tapes avry spring and fall.I do not beleive that 3 horses cost me more than $150 a month.Even less in the summer.

azmusclecar
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-02-17 9:36 PM (#77123 - in reply to #77062)

Thank you all who've contributed so far. I wormed my own horse and gave it shots and I know all about colic. I lost a beautiful palomino 28 days after I bought it. The horse cost me 1800, and the vet cost me 700 and to have the horse buried was another 300 so I know about those unexpected expenses.I can board my horse for @ $275.00 a month and still have the vet bills and farrier bills. I would rather put that $275 into my own property than pay to have someone board and care for my horse. I, like most of you, enjoy the daily routine and interaction with a horse. It gives me motivation and a reason to get up and get active so to speak.I will get a goat for the horse because like you said it is a herd animal and does need company. I guess I was just weighing the $275/mo versus what it will cost me to care for my own horse. All of your inputs have been valuable and being in different parts of the states it is funny how costs will vary.The family member that owns the horse has contracted brain cancer and wants me to have her horse so badly, I don't want to say no to her and just add more sadness to her life. She loves the horse and she knows how much I love them. I just need the reality check here, of what I can afford and what I can't. I want to do the right thing for all of us including the horse. And sometimes the answer just isn't crystal clear when you take all the factors into consideration. Numbers don't lie, but they may be juggled to allow everyone to win on this situation.As far as the climate and all, I'm originally from PA so I know all about the winters and such and being an outdoor person, I'm okay with more than some people can stand. Thanks again to all, you've given me info and hope and now I just need to pray on it. Are we allowed to say prayer on this forum????
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-17 9:49 PM (#77125 - in reply to #77123)

Expert

Originally written by azmusclecar on 2008-02-17 10:36 PM

Thanks again to all, you've given me info and hope and now I just need to pray on it. Are we allowed to say prayer on this forum????

Anytime its necessary

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-18 8:41 AM (#77140 - in reply to #77062)

Expert

The GOAT thing.Sometimes a horse and goat are ok.Sometimes not.I've had goats badly damaged/killed by a horse.They don't hold up to being bit or kicked like another horse buddy.If left out with a horse stray dogs are a issue.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-02-18 8:55 AM (#77142 - in reply to #77062)

Elite Veteran

Not only are you allowed to pray, I'll add my prayers to yours for your friend.

Prayer 

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-18 2:01 PM (#77168 - in reply to #77140)

Expert

I'd think about the goat.  My horses don't like them and my 5yr old killed one of the neighbours goats when he got in her field.

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-02-18 9:19 PM (#77208 - in reply to #77062)

Veteran

In PA you should be fine with one acre for your horse.  If you have to feed hay the basic is 12-15 bales per month.  Orchard grass runs about $4.00 bale in PA if you buy it all at cutting time. It will cost you about $120 month for vet, grain, hay, salt block, wormer, farrier trims.  It would drop to $100 month if you pasture 6 months and do your own shots. This is average for a healthy horse, more for higher maintenance. 

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-18 9:29 PM (#77209 - in reply to #77062)

Elite Veteran

Wow, can't believe a lonely single horse would injure a goat especially if introduced slowly.  Sorry to hear a goat got murdered by a horse! I've had pygmies running with 4-6 horses at a time and never had one injured or even kicked at. It was quite the opposite with the goats butting the horses at grain feeding time. Had to stand out side waiting for horses to finish their meal. Built a new pasture just for the goats so I can quit "waiting".

Typically a boer or nubian goat (whether works best) has the size to be with a horse. You could also try a small donkey or burro.

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-18 9:53 PM (#77213 - in reply to #77062)

Elite Veteran

Here's how I figure my horse upkeep.  I'm going to base this on my geriatric horse ( 25yrs old ). 

10# Purina Senior per day = 6 bags per mo. @ $14 = $84

2 bales of hay a week = 8 bales per mo. @ $6 = $48

Water  we keep 2 100gal tanks full and 5 gal buckets in stalls, plus humidify our 20X40 green house, plus all the house water.  Our bill runs around $30 per mo.

Fly Predators = $28 per month, but that's based on 5 horses.  With only 3 acres, I'd suggest you use some type of fly inhibitors.

Simplifly = $45 per month, but again based on 5 horses.  I HATE FLIES !

Farrier (Now this is a killer ) 2 sets of shoes and 3 trims every 6 weeks is $250.  Of course this cost ALWAYS seems to rise.

I don't figure vet costs on a monthly basis.  They all get their shots twice a year approx. $70 and a coggins at approx. $38

Without the vet thrown in there . . . approx $200 per month.

Now I'm going to go vomit

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-18 10:27 PM (#77219 - in reply to #77062)

Expert

Some more things to think about...

Do you have a way to transport this horse to the vet if necessary?

I.E. do you own a trailer and vehicle capable of towing it?

or do you have access to such at any hour of the day?

Is the current property fenced?

Have you come up with a plan for manure disposal?

Finally, are you ready to commit the rest of your life to daily care for this horse?

Do you have anyone in the area that will be able to take over the daily chores, if you need to be out of the area for any length of time?

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-02-18 10:33 PM
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 6:58 AM (#77234 - in reply to #77062)

Veteran

Now I'm going to go vomit (by:N2Ridn)
I felt exactly the same way when I finally sat down and figured on paper how much each horse was costing me per month. For about a week, ever time I went to the barn, Instead of seeing horses, I saw dollar signs. Except for the ones that are earning their keep!!
horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 7:06 AM (#77235 - in reply to #77062)

Veteran

My horses are scared to DEATH of goats and cows.I once trailered out to farm for lessons that had goats in a side pasture to the outdoor ring,and I could barly get my horses around that side of the ring.I could feel them trembling.Now there are horses that live there on the farm with those goats and they were fine with them.I guess my horses are just prissy!I used to work at a farm that had gotten a weanling miniture donkey and all the geldings wanted to kill it.They would chase it into the fence and try and stomp it to death.It was very scarey!
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-19 7:25 AM (#77239 - in reply to #77062)

Expert

Well,most of our horses DON'T earn their keep monetarily,it's what they do for our insides(psyche).That said,Don't panic over manure for one horse,pick it up daily(good exercise)and compost it for your flowers,pole beans,lawn,etc.Don't worry about a companion animal;if you're retired,you are his companion animal.You don't always have to ride,there are wonderful ground exercises too.Learn to weigh/measure feed and hay;we were shocked at what we wasted and our horses look great on mill feed with supplement added and common grass hay. If you have the one horse and pick up manure,have the vet run a fecal periodically.You can probably get down to semi-annual worming rather quickly.Best of luck with your decision.
azmusclecar
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-02-19 7:28 PM (#77329 - in reply to #77062)

Thanks to those of you who additionally added comments. I planned on getting a horse trailer so I can transport the horse to a vet. I'm looking forward to finding some state parks that have horse trails. When I had my previous horses, I also had dogs and never had a goat or any other animal for the horse to bond to. When I went on a ride, all of us went and when I had to go to work, the dog and horse would hang out together. I never had an issue with horses trying to hurt any other animal. Thanks for the heads up on those that have. The horse that I may be adopting is a 16 year old Arabian gelding that has been shown in many states, is used to a lot of different environments and has a great disposition. That doesn't mean you take the horse for granted. I always think they are going to kick, going to bite, going to buck, going to bolt just in preparation if they should. It takes the horse adjusting to me and me adjusting to the horse. It's called trust, not BLIND TRUST. I have always looked at the mass of a horse and the mass of a man and realize, if this horse really wanted to kill me, it could. I just need to know how not to encourage that behavior and have the horse want to be with me, as much as I want to be with the horse. I think it's called a symbiotic relationship. The horse feeds off of me, and I feed off the horse and I dont' mean hay and grain and etc.
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-02-20 4:14 AM (#77358 - in reply to #77062)

Veteran

Where in PA are you moving to?

azmusclecar
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-02-20 1:54 PM (#77418 - in reply to #77358)

The central Pennsylvania area, just west and north of Harrisburg.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)