'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New Exiss CX 300 trailer.Found one big issue.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-08 10:39 PM
37 replies, 14205 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-06 9:23 AM (#76184)
Subject: New Exiss CX 300 trailer.Found one big issue.

Expert

Don't know if we would have discovered this on a pre purchase walk around or not.Most likely would have.Would have been a big issue for us if we had.With both horse dividers open you can't close rear door! Rear divider overhangs about 5 inches! Even our poor old steel CM has a telescoping rear divider.If I haul 2 or 3 horses somewhere and want to bring home 6 calves you can't shut the back door unless you remove the divider.On the CM you push it forward,latch drops it locks and you latch it to the first divider latched to the wall.What a poor design by Exiss. I needed a trailer to haul everthing from horses in dividers to loose mares and foals to a living room set.Called Exiss and their working up a PRICE including shipping.Says like in the $700 + or - range for a useful rear divider.My neighbor has a Silver Star.Same deal as my CM.He was like thats GOT to be the WRONG rear divider.According to Exiss its not.But some of their LOWER price trailers have the telescoping rear divider.Seems backwards to me.Other wise trailer is great.

Edited by hounddog 2008-02-06 9:26 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 11:03 AM (#76198 - in reply to #76184)
Subject: RE: New Exiss CX 300 trailer.Found one big issue.

Expert

We have an Exiss XT 300 Event which should be the same length as yours. (three horse, 4' SW) Our trailer is equipped with two moveable dividers that have springs which hold them open when they are unlatched.

The dividers are each constructed in a one piece, non adjustable fashion. When my rear most divider is open against the rear tack area, it is short of the rear door by almost four inches. There is no interference issue.

However, when the rear tack is collapsed, the rear most divider will almost touch the rear door. This is not an issue unless something gets between the two surfaces when closing the door.

I don't share your difficulties and know of other owners who also don't have this problem. I can't help but wonder what Exiss has changed in their production that caused this difficulty. Either the rear divider is now placed more to the rear of the trailer or the divider is physically longer or both. Installing a shorter divider would not allow you to snap it closed. Only an adjustable length with a lock will allow you to use it under both circumstances.

Gard

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-02-06 11:18 AM (#76200 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

Your trailer width along with the angle of the dividers, has alot to do with where the divider is when the rear tack is removed and the dividers are fully open.

It's got to be hard buying a new trailer sight unseen, unless you can look at one in person and KNOW, that it's EXACTLY the same as the one you are buying from afar.

I have a 3 horse Silver Star and the rear "non-adjustable" rear divider don't poke out past the doors with the tack collapsed. The doors may bump, but they will close.

Sorry to here about your mixup, mess, problem. Maybe the dealer will/can work something out. May be cheaper to take it to a reputable welding shop and have it modified to your specs. That's what we ended up doing to our last purchase. Now it's all good........I hope.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-06 11:31 AM (#76204 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

trailer is not a rear tack model.Its a stock type with one large door.it needs a differant divider.One that telescopes in and out.

Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-06 11:40 AM (#76205 - in reply to #76184)

Veteran

This the trailer you got?

http://www.exiss.com/php/horse/products/product_detail.php?MODEL_ID...

If so, it looks like the rear divider clears the door in that second picture. Hard to tell for sure, tho.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 11:52 AM (#76208 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

Didn't realize the CX was a stock trailer. Sorry

Gard

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-02-06 12:09 PM (#76211 - in reply to #76184)

Elite Veteran

There are actually several makes of trailers that require the rear divider to telescope or remove to close the rear doors with the dividers open. Yes, it can be nice to not have to, but it means building the trailer 6" longer, or a telescoping divider. Both cost money, and according to my dealer friend, lots of stock/combo folks are very price sensitive. High-test costs more than regular....
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-06 1:31 PM (#76224 - in reply to #76184)

Veteran

Do you really, really, really need this divider? I'm not quite clear the how's and why's of your loading situation, but if the divider is a pain in the butt, and not an "I can't live without this" kind of thing, why not just pop the hinge and remove it?  I have a Kiefer 4 horse (with rear tack) with solid dividers, which I hate, cause I think my horses should be able to see each other, and I also use it to transport my cow.  I just took out the back two dividers, and kept the front one, and it works great, space enough for everything.

As I'm scratching my brain to remember here, I don't think the door on mine would close with that last divider fully open, but it would if you pushed the divider part way closed. However, I wouldn't want to drive around with it flopping around like that.  There's nothing that holds any of the dividers in the open position, either.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-06 1:35 PM (#76225 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

Managed it on my CM.Never had to pull a divider out of it to make the trailer fully usefull.Adding snaps to hold dividers is not hard.

Edited by hounddog 2008-02-06 1:41 PM
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-06 1:55 PM (#76227 - in reply to #76184)

Elite Veteran

I have an eby lq and it is  not the wide one.  The dividers all open and can be fastened that way.  I can close the back door.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-06 6:02 PM (#76247 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

Well RYAN HOLTON trailer sales eaither got a call from Exiss or reads this forum.He's worked out a deal for me on a divider that telescopes.Super fellow.I still think its a manufacture issue.The EVENT line is the top of the line.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-02-06 8:24 PM (#76261 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

In 1999 when I bought my 1st gooseneck trailer.  That was the deciding reason why I chose the Classic Trailer over the Exsis.  With the Classic trailer, the rear panel telescoped and locked into place against the head wall.

On several occassions I would fold both dividers against the head wall and crowd 4 horses into my 3 horse trailer.  They fit just fine (as long as they got along)

It's not something Idid every day, But there are times when I.  Fill in the blank as to why.  Somebody needing a ride home home early or later than their other ride, somebody with a tire leaking wanting to get some weight out of his trailer, wanting to load an ATV in the trailer etc.

My current trailer with a rear tack and managers does not do this and I miss it.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-02-06 9:57 PM (#76269 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

Hmm. I can fold my partitions back and shut the door in back.  At the last second I give the last partition a little push and shut the back door. It then snugs against the back door as the partition is spring loaded, and it is good to go.  I also load an ATV in it by:  removing the center back post and collapsing the tackroom about an inch.  Then in goes the ATV, then I put the tack room wall in the regular position, replace the post, shut the doors as described above, and head to deer camp or whatever...the last partition sets quietly on the ATV rear rack and it works well.....
MarkM
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2008-02-07 10:28 AM (#76314 - in reply to #76184)

It is not a design flaw! The reason it is like that is when you cut something it is not going to be as strong, a telescoping divider is nice but not nearly as strong. Also, a telescoping divider is a rattle trap when traveling down the road. A solid divider is going to be much appreciated by your horse.

It only takes two minutes to take the divider out, and thats if I take my time.

Mark M

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-07 12:25 PM (#76322 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

Well I still think its on the cheap to save the manufacture a nickle.The telescoping divider in my 1995 CM does not rattle.Has had untold amount of hard usage and has no bends or bows in it.As far as taking a few minutes to remove, installing a divider is always a pain to get front pins to line up.Help many a folk with them cursing the thing trying to get it back on without help.I may use this trailer with horses in dividers in the morning and then a youngster tied in front with dividers latched back a hour or two later or to haul feed that afternoon etc.I'm NOT going to remove and install a divider 2 or 3 times a day or in 0 dark hundered middle of the night,bad weather etc.when all it takes is make trailer longer or with a collapale divider which they do make and that I have being shipped to me. I mean with the LARGE rear door and dividers folded back its a large wide open trailer only not to be easily used and user friendly by that one little flaw.

Edited by hounddog 2008-02-07 12:40 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-07 8:03 PM (#76357 - in reply to #76314)

Expert

Sorry Mark, but I do think it is a design flaw.  My Featherlite has the telescoping divider and after 10 years is still straight and works properly.  I've also ridden in the trailer while it was being driven down the road when I first got my old mare and it didn't rattle anymore than the pins holding in the headside of the divider.  It locks firmly into place.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-02-07 10:24 PM (#76368 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

I don't eveant to think about trying to remove and re-install a divider with Springloading. Sound like a good way to get my knuckles smacked.

Usually when I need to squeeze an extra horse in, I don't have any place to put the divider that I would have to remove.

Let's see, I'll just set this divider over there by the Interstate sign, drive 5 hours home and unload and come back and get the divider.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-08 6:16 AM (#76378 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

The very reason I wanted a stock type rear door,no center post,no rear tack.I haul hay,building supplys.Horses of all ages,sizes,gaits,fence posts and the list goes on.Even helped a niece off to college with her bedroom and stuff.My old CM Ranger was a life saver for me during a divorce and remodeling a house I bought.Never removed a divider from it.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-02-08 8:57 AM (#76385 - in reply to #76184)

Elite Veteran

It is not a design flaw, that's the way it is built to suit the majority of the people who buy it. If it doesn't suit you- A) don't buy it, or B) Get the proper options on it to suit your needs. But why are we bashing the manufacturer because the buyer didn't do his homework?? There are many trailer models out there that will not allow the door(s) to close with the dividers unlatched, and this is obviously one of them. Frankly- the fact that Holton's and Exiss are shipping a divider out (what sounds for free) to cover a customer's mistake is neat and nice (because he posted it in public), but it means the rest of us all have to pay just a little bit more money for our trailers now to make up for it because there's no such thing as a free lunch. So, is it so nice of them now? OK, off of my soapbox now and back to being politically correct.
reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-08 9:07 AM (#76388 - in reply to #76184)

Regular

That's right! Trailer dividers are not designed to be hauled open, which is probably why this trailer is build the way it was. The more you haul the trailer with the dividers open, the more damage you do to the divider springs (if so equipped) and the area where the divider attaches to the wall. If you wanted a stock trailer, then that's probably what you should have bought. Typically, a telescoping divider is installed for safety when loading/unloading, not so you can drag the trailer around with the dividers open.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-08 9:08 AM (#76389 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

$500 is not free and as far as I can tell Exiss did nothing.Never answred a e/mail or called me.I did the foot work again.Ryan Holton jumped in and I went with the agreement he suggested in the way of price etc.A poor design.Maybe not a design fault.As I stated even my 1995 steel CM was built with a telescoping divider with no hint of having to ask for it as a option or anything else. Seems like a COMMON sense way to equip this type trailer.Obvisouly the CM engineer thought so! DUH!Bunk on any damage to the dividers if left open and latched back.Worse thing I've ever had happen to one in my CM was a broken double snap and its had horses bang/slam into it,big gates leaned on it,70 bales of hay shoved into it(many many times).The CX line is a stock type! Just with dividers instead of as swing gate door in the center.I DO like to seperate horses as needed.I do haul stallions and mares at the same time.

Edited by hounddog 2008-02-08 9:18 AM
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-08 9:11 AM (#76390 - in reply to #76385)

Veteran

Frankly- the fact that Holton's and Exiss are shipping a divider out (what sounds for free) to cover a customer's mistake is neat and nice (because he posted it in public), but it means the rest of us all have to pay just a little bit more money for our trailers now to make up for it because there's no such thing as a free lunch. So, is it so nice of them now? OK, off of my soapbox now and back to being politically correct.

LOL. That's one way of looking at it but it doesn't give Holton much credit, IMO. Another way to look at it is that Holton is striving to maintain good customer relations in hopes that the customer will feel good about buying another trailer someday and/or tell friends how pleased they are with the customer service, thereby possibly leading to increased sales.

Every sale is a new negotiation. Buyers are always free to walk.

Edited by Towfoo 2008-02-08 9:14 AM
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-02-08 9:29 AM (#76393 - in reply to #76184)

Veteran

Often time people on this board need to own up to their mistakes and quit blaming someone else. Just because something isn't made the way you thought it should be, doesn't the responsibility lie on the information you received from wherever (the dealer, internet, freinds, etc.) before you made this purchase? Why does Exiss have a "design flaw" if this is standard equipment on this model? Didn't you have the opportunity to decline this purchase, once you inspected it??????

Edited by Duckman 2008-02-08 9:46 AM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-08 9:54 AM (#76396 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

I shopped trailers for about 6 weeks.Never could lay my hands on a CX line.Also bought one almost a thousand miles away.Read my first post.Heck next to impossable to lay hands on ANY bodys line of trailer without driving a ton of miles and even then they had to have one in stock.I assumed too much on the telescoping divider.Never gave the too long or non telescoping a second thought as I figured it was a no brainer that it would eaither fit at rear of trailer or telescope.I did have Ryan Holton trailers install bus windows and a camper vent.   I'm going top tell you about a FREE divider I got years ago from WW.I bought a bumper pull stock trailer from a WW dealer.Straight load four horse with center gate.Had a 16 year old young lady look at it on a ride.She said "That center divider is NOT safe" I asked why? Her reply was the bars are too far apart! Said they had a  horse kick back,put a hoof through it and my dad on the side of road like never got his hoof back through it.Few days later I called the dealer/guy I bought it from and asked that same question."Oh NO thats not a issue,never heard of such"been using that type for YEARS! Well the NEXT ride after pulling into my drive with four horses on it in front of my house WE heard a KABLAM.Looked and the horse on the right front had kicked up high and put a foot through the bars.I mean the next to very top bar.He just stood there 3 legged.We quickly unloaded back two horses,wife got to the head of one on three legs and started stroking him.Two of us tried to get that hoof back through but it was like a qtr bigger then the opening.The next second one on three legs BLEW UP.He ended hanging by his halter,one leg and blood everwhere.Knock the 16hh gelding next to him off his feet and he went upside down.Neighbors heard us,came flying up.They called fire dept and a vet.Needed the jaws of life.Fire dept NEVER showed.I beat that bar in that divider until I almost passed out.I broke the hand held sledge hammer I was using(still have that broken hammer)Finally hoof went through.Horse got up and limped out.The OTHER horse was moaning/groaning and had a glassy look in his eyes.Would NOT get up.Used a rope through the halter and tied to the front of a truck then peeled him out like a banana.Vet showed up with a HOTSHOT on front seat to put a horse down if needed.The one that kicked and cut bad took 30 stiches in his ankle but no tendon damage and in two weeks was on the trails again.Other horse was ok once he hit ground.I called WW and explained the situation.They were VERY nice.Paid vet bill and sent me a NEW solid divider.I was NOT looking for them to do this.Several years LATER I was shoppng trailers again and CALLED CM direct as I had a question or two.Guy with CM said 'I know your name" I said HOW.He replied I was the engineer with WW you talked to about a divider and a horse wreck a few years ago! He then said 'I own CM and if you didn't notice my BARS on my trailers are MUCH closer and safer  because of you! He said he remembered that incident and it went into his trailer designs. Sometimes bringing something to somebodys attention is NOT a bad or costly thing to others.

Edited by hounddog 2008-02-08 9:59 AM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-08 10:10 AM (#76397 - in reply to #76184)

Expert

One other little detail.I called Exiss to see IF that was the CORRECT rear divider as some of their OTHER trailers have telescoping in the rear according to Exiss(I don't personaly know)The folks I talked to at Exiss were VERY nice.BUT I never GOT a answer of yes it is,no it isn't.It is NOT addressed in any brochures. I got a WELL its in some and not in others and well the post is not welded in  incorrectly according to our measurments(where divider hangs from). I was with auto manufactures for 25 years.They did the same thing.Always passed on any thing they could to the DEALER instead of handling SOME EASY things them selves.

Edited by hounddog 2008-02-08 10:14 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)