'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brand Inspections

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-11 10:16 AM
33 replies, 13777 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mnhunter
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-01-14 4:27 PM (#74397)
Subject: Brand Inspections

Have been reading some of the brand inspection info for a trip out west this year.  We are planning to travel from Mn thru South Dakota and stop overnight in Sundance Wy on the way to Montana.  It looks like you are supposed to be inspected even if you are just passing thru the state.  This means a person would have to be inspected in SD, WY, and Montana before your left Montana.  Then you would have to be inspected again in WY, and SD on the way back.  How do most of you handle this. What do the transporters do that travel thru several states on a trip?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-01-14 6:26 PM (#74406 - in reply to #74397)
Subject: RE: Brand Inspections

Veteran

Most western states have a reciprocal agreement. Get your BI in one state and it is good for all of them

j&j
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-01-14 6:36 PM (#74409 - in reply to #74397)

Extreme Veteran

Keep in mind you only need the Brand Inspection to leave the state.

You can get a permanent inspection. That's the easiest. Any Brand Inspector at any of the states requiring a Brand Inspection can do a permanent inspection.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-14 7:30 PM (#74413 - in reply to #74397)

Expert

I don't know the rules. but I do travel between Utah and Wyoming a lot during the summer. I stop at the Port of Entry, show my Health Certificate, Coggins, and proof of ownership ( Brand Inspection or Registration), Fill out the form about where I'm from and where I'm going, how many horses I have in the trailer, vehilce license plate and dscription and drive off.

I was stopped once by a County Sheriff, who actually looked at the horses and compared them to the papers I presented. Back on the road again in 15 minutes.

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-14 10:21 PM (#74430 - in reply to #74397)

Elite Veteran

You will need a brand inspection when you cross into all those states and yes ...back through again. You can also buy a lifetime brand inspection in SD...that will save you some time and money when crossing the SD boarder.
Have a safe trip.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-14 11:35 PM (#74434 - in reply to #74397)

Expert

We took the mules from Arkansas to Montana 2 years ago to hunt. Got a import # from our local vet on the health certificate, then got brand inspection when we got to Montana.  Ours are branded with our registered brand, so had their registration papers, health certificate, proof of brand ownership, and coggins papers.  The temporary brand inspection we got was repciprical and good for 30 days.  Your local vet should give you the info you need ...

Edited by flyinghfarm 2008-01-14 11:36 PM
Tim
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-01-15 6:35 AM (#74441 - in reply to #74397)

Regular

It's my understanding that if your state is a non-brand state, like here in Illinois, and you can prove ownership of your horse, registration papers, you will not need a brand inspection. The brand inspection is to prove ownership of the horse. It's as good as registration papers. If you have a grade horse, why not get the brand inspection. You now have proof of ownership. So far this has worked for me.
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-01-15 2:08 PM (#74464 - in reply to #74397)

Extreme Veteran

So, if I wanted to get a lifetime brand inspection for SD, I could contact somebody here: http://www.sdbrandboard.com/contactus.asp ? And it would be good in any state?

Edit: Okay, I did some checking on my own state.  I can get a Lifetime Horse Permit here in ND.  http://www.ndstockmen.org/mod.php?mod=userpage&menu=1400&page_id=34  Look at the "Penalty for removal of livestock" paragraph.  Second offense is a FELONY.  Holy Crap Batman.  Probably better do that before long.

Edited by jdzaharia 2008-01-15 2:19 PM
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-15 5:07 PM (#74475 - in reply to #74464)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by jdzaharia on 2008-01-15 2:08 PM

So, if I wanted to get a lifetime brand inspection for SD, I could contact somebody here: http://www.sdbrandboard.com/contactus.asp ? And it would be good in any state?

No...it's only good for the state that issued it. SD issues...only good for SD. What we need a Equine Passport, similar to the one used in Texas, and surrounding states.

bjos
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-01-15 6:50 PM (#74479 - in reply to #74397)

we just went through this process with 2 of our horses -one grade and one registered. We live in MN and had them done in SD. We were told that they are good throughout the states
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-15 8:28 PM (#74484 - in reply to #74464)

Expert

jd, the website you linked to, says that North Dakota recognizes 3 methods of proof of ownership.

'One way is to brand the animals with a legally recorded brand".

" Second is to obtain a bill of sale, often called a brand release, complete with the signatures of the seller and one witness. "

"Third is to obtain an inspection certificate from a North Dakota Stockmen’s Association brand inspector."

I would assume that a horse's registration papers would serve as the Second method.  Most breed registration papers show the current ownership and have a signature of the selling party when they transfered the papers to the new owner, and usually a signature or stamp of the Breed association secretary showing the transfer was recorded at the Breed association. They also contain a description of the horse, ( and probably a picture with newer papers)

Since most registration papers are filed when the foal is under 6 months old, I usually get a brand inspection to go along with my registration papers when I start using a horse. A lot of 4+ year old horses don't match what their 6 month old papers describe. They been gelded, Grey colors bleach out to white. Stars, snips and other marks change as the young grow up.

Here in Utah a Brand Inspection is required when:

A. Changing Ownership of the horse

B. Leaving the State.  "Lifetime travel permit (honored in all states and Canada; good for lifetime of horse); cost $25.00 "

C." When traveling anywhere within the state, always carry proof of ownership. This may include:

1. Brand inspection certificate or auction invoice showing where you purchased the animal. A bill of sale will not be accepted as proof of ownership.
  2. Wallet-size brand card matching brand of horse.
  3. Lifetime or yearly travel permit.
  4. Registration papers in name of current owner. "

D.  "If you are transporting horses belonging to someone other than yourself, carry written permission from owner"

Based upon Item "B" above from the State of Utah website,  The travel permit is good in all states and Canada.

The term "travel permit" as used above is refering to what the Brand Inspector gives me after he conducts the brand inspection. It's basically a Proof of Ownership card.

I also found

Wyoming accepts out of state lifetime horse permits. A Wyoming Brand inspection is not required to move horses in State or out-of State if this permit accompanies the horse.   This would be the same permit discussed in Item "B" above as the travel permit.

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-01-16 9:36 AM (#74527 - in reply to #74397)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the help, all, especially Painted Horse.  Even though we always carry the registration papers with us, a brand inspection would be good for the reasons Painted Horse mentioned.

I copied this from the ND website I posted:

What is a Lifetime Horse Permit?
Lifetime permits for horses are also available. These permits allow horse owners to travel anywhere in the United States and Canada without having a new brand inspection conducted each time they leave the state. There is a one-time inspection and permit fee of $10 per horse.

The second sentence seals the deal for me.  Now, too bad the part of that website that allows you to find a local brand inspector doesn't work.  Ha ha.

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-01-16 9:40 AM (#74528 - in reply to #74527)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by jdzaharia on 2008-01-16 9:36 AM

Now, too bad the part of that website that allows you to find a local brand inspector doesn't work.  Ha ha.

Nevermind, I got it to work.  The link at the left of the screen works, but not the one in the body text.

Turns out my vet is a brand inspector.  Whadayaknow?!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-16 10:07 AM (#74533 - in reply to #74528)

Expert

I learned a lesson very early in my ownership of horses.  I had borrowed a friends horse to take to the Wind Rivers of Wyomng. I had gone and gotten all the required papers. When at the vet the Health Certificate and Coggins where issued in the Barn Name of the horse. It was the only name I had every heard my friend call his horse by.  The Registration papers had a long Arabic Name for the arab horse.  Of course the name on the registration paper and the barn name were not the same. A county sheriff pulled me over in Big Piney Wyoming and checked the horses and papers. When he found the name on the papers didn't match he figured he had me.  He made us sit in the July sun on the side of the road for 90 minutes.  Since then I always make sure all papers have the EXACT same name.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-01-16 10:12 AM (#74534 - in reply to #74397)

Extreme Veteran

We have permanent Brand Inspections. Now where are those things. We got them a few years ago, and they are in the truck somewhere. Have never had them out. We also traveled in and out of western states since 1998, and were never checked.

BUT

They are a very good idea. It only takes once being checked without them, to make them far less expensive than the consequences of not having them.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-01-16 8:28 PM (#74585 - in reply to #74397)

Last year 4 of us made a big circle trip out west.  We were going to do the lifetime brand stuff in SD but the brand inspector REFUSED to come to the horse camp;  (altho we had been assured that the inspectors routinely came to this particular state park wrangler camp) wanted us to load up animals and bring into a town with NO facilities for the animals.  Guess we were just supposed to unload them on a sidewalk.  Needless to say we did not do that.  We had all our health papers, registrations and so on, and no one asked to see them in 3,500 miles.  The whole point of the brand inspection is to keep horse thieves from leaving the state with stolen horses.  The SD inspector said they had 1 horse reported stolen in the previous 2 years.  With the market the way it is, I DARE anyone to challenge me on one of my horses.  They just might find themselves holding a lead rope.  By the way I have not lost anything in SD, WY or CO and esp not IOWA.  Compared to TN, KY and AR , the riding out west was not that good.  Sure was glad we had equipped all 8 feet with rock pads.  Just my opinion. 
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-01-17 7:45 AM (#74600 - in reply to #74397)

Veteran

BI's are reciprocal between all the western states that require them. You do not need one for each individual state.

Rather than expect an inspector come to your camp it is just as easy to meet one along your route of travel. Calling ahead makes it easy. You don't need a horse set up to unload. We had ours inspected at the Flying J Truck stop in Rapid City when we stopped to refuel. There is a big gravel area to unload. The horses are out and back in the trailer in 2 minutes. This guy was quick! We called the BI to make the arrangements and then let him know when we were an hour out. There were probably 20 trailers there doing the same thing.

j&j
We got a lifetime ($10) for each horse.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-01-17 8:13 AM (#74603 - in reply to #74397)

IZZY Where are you? Izzy was the point person for this tour and was informed by the brand inspection and by the state park and by people who had horse camped there before that the brand inspector would come; and that it took awhile in order to get the horses photos on the id card.
We did not expect anything, except that people would do what they said.

Now, did you get photo id cards of your horses at the Flying J truck stop?
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-01-17 7:09 PM (#74653 - in reply to #74397)

Extreme Veteran

No, the photo ID cards are mailed to you. The Inspector gives you a temporary inspection paper, then mails the cards later.

I don't know where you rode out west, but you missed something, some place. No way, anything in the mid west can compare to the places we've ridden. Some of course, better than others.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-17 8:02 PM (#74659 - in reply to #74397)

Expert

In NM the livestock/brand inspectors have laptops and printers in their trucks.  They check the horse, proof of ownership and write out the temp papers or take digital pictures and print out your permanent papers on the spot.  $35 and a yearly tax bill go along with the permanent papers here and you have to have them to cross county lines not just state lines.  I guess the good thing is if we move again the papers would still be good if the other states recoginise them.
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-01-19 5:37 PM (#74836 - in reply to #74397)

Regular

Seems I have been summoned.  In Jan, I got on the internet, found out who we needed to contact, about the BI.  Talked to them in great detail, was told that the BI would meet us at the campgroung in SD.  And we would get our permanent brand inspection done, which would be good for the rest of our trip, since we would be traveling through serveral western states.  When I ended the conversation, I told her I would call back when we were ready to leave and set everything up.  At this time, she gave me the number of the BI that I was to contact, I was assured that they would meet us at the campground, as it was one of their regular stops.  There was a BI that worked that particular area.  Anyway, I contacted the BI when we got close, and he said he couldn't do it, can't remember why, but as Rose said could meet us on our way out, at some town, or whatever, anyway, I was terrible dissapointed that we couldn't do at the campground that I had been assured that we could.  Maybe we could have done it at that little town, and maybe that wouldn't have been a big deal, but at the time it sounded like a pretty big deal to us, since we had tried so hard to take care of all of this and make sure we knew what we needed to do.  As luck would have it we made our trip had a great time and made it back home without any problems.  When you are on vacation and you have a limited amount of time to travel so far, you should be able to get this done in your own state, before we leave, so you can have all the paperwork everybody needs.  But we can't.  And the reason that we should have been able to get it done in SD at the campground is because it was a STATE campground, not federal.  And that was why I was assured that he would meet us there.  Anyway, I'm heading back out there this year, and will try to figure it out again.  If I must meet them at a Flying J, so be it.  Question?Everyone says that they mail you your permanent one home, so, the temporary one they give should be good to get us through each state, not just SD, right?????   

Happy Trails!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-19 7:06 PM (#74840 - in reply to #74836)

Expert

The Utah website says a "Lifetime Brand Inspection is good in all 50 states and Canada"  I assume this is a reciperical agreement between all states.

It doesn't say anything about the one time or 1 year BI being accepted by other states. Only the Lifetime.

j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-01-19 7:10 PM (#74841 - in reply to #74397)

Veteran

Yes the temporary is good for all the participating states. We contacted the BI about a week before we left and he said to call him back when we were about an hour away, in this case, from Rapid City. It worked out good. There are many BI along the way, just plot your route and then call the state or get on the internet to get a list. Then call one who does the area you will be traveling through. They have always been very helpful and flexible.

Good luck. Have a great trip.

j&j

PS The temporary is as good as the Lifetime, only it lasts for that year only. They are also reciprocal.

Edited by j&j 2008-01-19 7:13 PM
element
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-19 7:53 PM (#74845 - in reply to #74397)

Veteran

I'm sorry to sound (stupid) but we travel alot to campgrounds all over the Southeast/Midwest. This is the first we have heard of BI. Is there alot of stolen horse coming form the West coast? I believe that horse are being stolen all over the US. Is this program along the same lines as freeze branding? People whom steal horse forge everything from coggins to reg. papers etc. Please educate us on this BI. Thanks
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-01-20 9:43 AM (#74861 - in reply to #74397)

Veteran

The Brand Inspection laws are just for the western states. They have been around for many years. They for originally for cattle rustling, but also include all livestock being moved around. Any horse leaving a western state must show proof of ownership. That is done by presenting the "Brand Inspection" papers.

The rest of the country does not require them. You need not worry if you are not traveling through, SD (west of the MO River), WY, CO, CA(?), NV, MT, UT. Mainly I think it is the Rocky Mountain states.

Your horse need not be branded. It is really just proof of ownership. It has nothing to do with freeze branding.

Often times you are not checked, but if you are ever stopped for ANY reason they can ask for your BI papers. Better to have them. Sometimes at the weigh stations (another you you have to do out west is stop at the weigh stations)they will ask for your papers.

Happy trails!

j&j

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World