'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trouble hauling through Iowa
[Frozen]

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-21 3:15 PM
196 replies, 45956 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh Frozen
Message format

keeponhaulin'
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-28 11:25 PM (#66684)
Subject: Trouble hauling through Iowa

Just a little story about my drive home from Canadian Nationals.  Everything was going fine considering the length of our trip, no flat tires, minimal construction and an easy border crossing.  We had just finished a 2 hour rest stop at a lovely Iowa rest area with shaded area to park under and fresh cold water for the horses.  I was ready to get back in the truck and start my "tank of gas" shift.  We were back on I-29 heading south nearing the Missouri border when I noticed an Iowa state trooper fly past me and pull up next to the truck and trailer I was following.  Next thing I know we are both on the side of the road with drivers license and registration in hand.  We were only doing 60mph, seat belts on and I was pretty sure we both paid for fuel at the last stop.  After an hour on the side of the road it was my turn to sit in the cruiser.  It turns out I was in violation of 12 regulations, there were more but officer no.394 was nice enough to stop there.  Apparently the F-350 dually and 3 horse living quarter trailer I was pulling was considered a commercial motor vehicle and I was not qualified to drive it nor was it in compliance with the regulations of a CMV.  The GVWR of my truck(10,000) and trailer(20,000) is 30,000lbs There other truck and trailer was also cited being that it was an F-550 and 8 horse trailer and over the GVWR.  Both "rigs" were over the weight limit of a Class C driver's license, which we were informed is a combined truck and trailer GVWR of 26,001 pounds.  The list of 12 violations included, no in truck fire extinguisher (the one in the trailer doesn't count), insufficient warning devices (triangles), no record of duty status, driver failing to retain previous 7 days log, driver vehicle inspection report, operating a CMV without a periodic inspection (got that one twice), not being licensed for type of vehicle being operated, no drivers medical certificate on driver's possession, no pretrip inspection and finally a log violation. Also we did not a DOT number displayed or an ID number or name on the side of the truck.  Fortunally, I was only cited for three of those offensed, officer no.394's printer ran out of paper, my lucky day.  He also informed me I was now "out of service until qualified" and had it not been 97 degrees outside he would have pulled us off the road.  After 3 hours on the side of the road he didn't want the horses to ge sick.  So we got back on the road and got the hell out of Iowa and made sure to call all the other farms headed south and told them to avoid I-29.  A few hours later we got a call from another farm who had just passed through Iowa and said a road block had been set up for all horse trailers on I-29 and they had them lined up on the side of the road. 

After returing home and trying to sleep I did a little reasearch.  I remember hearing about some type of regulations on horse trailers about 20 years ago, but I have not had in trouble in that amount of time.  I went to the FMCSR website which was mostly useless but I did find out that the tickets and violations I recieved on my pick up truck and recreational horse trailer do fit under the CMV regulations.  A class A drivers license is required for any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more lbs. provided the GVWR of the towed vehicle is in excess of 10,000lbs. Don't some two horse trailers weigh more than 10,000lbs.  After I got the tickets I was curious about the actual weight of my truck and trailer.  At the next fuel stop I weighted it on a CAT scale, with a full tank of diesel, 2 horses, 14' living quarter with a generator, 7 peoples luggage, and 4 dogs it came out with a gross weight of 22,760lbs.  It breaks down like this steering axle 4540lbs., drive axel 7560lbs. and trailer axel 10,660 lbs. 

I just wanted to pass on my experience and see if anyone else has gone through something like this.  With just the little reasearch I have done it seems as though these laws and regulations are really going to hurt the horse industry.  I encourage all of you to haul to do some research and really think about the impact this is going to have on your life, whether it is your livelihood or just for recreation. I will post some links and other information soon and would encourage others to do so as well.

Thanks

Edited by keeponhaulin' 2007-09-03 10:26 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-28 11:56 PM (#66687 - in reply to #66684)
Subject: RE: Trouble hauling through Iowa

We went thru Iowa the end of July with a 3500 Dodge dually pulling a 4 horse 14 ft lq trailer.  No trooper.  Suggest you might want to contact some branch of Iowa state government as this situation sounds very weird to me.  Personally I think I would start with the Office of the Attorney General.  Surely Iowa does not want people avoiding the state like it has plague....especially since so many of us east of the Ms River need to travel thru Iowa to get to the Dakotas etc.

Also you may want to contact any breed organizations about this.... AQHA maybe?

My understanding was that if we were legal in our home state then we were legal everywhere....but what do I know.....

Or was the State of Iowa on a fundraising mission?

Edited by rose 2007-08-29 12:06 AM
keeponhaulin'
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-29 12:09 AM (#66690 - in reply to #66684)

Thanks for the reply and ideas.  I plan on sending and email to all the organizations and publications.  Two of the people with me have family members who are lawyers and letters to the state of Iowa are already underway.  Another posting suggested we all contact Larry Minor Director of Bus and Standards and Operations at the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Asociation since they are the ones that came up with the regulations.  His email is larry.minor@fmcsa.dot.gov .  It seems like we have all been getting lucky for a long time.  According to the FMCSA many of the regulations are going be be more widely inforced starting Sept. 29, 2007.  Here is the website for FMCSA  http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ and for the regulations try http://www.fmcsr.dot.gov/

Edited by keeponhaulin' 2007-08-29 12:10 AM
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-08-29 3:26 AM (#66691 - in reply to #66684)

Veteran

Boy...that stinks.  I can see citing you if you had been driving recklessly, speeding or something like that, but sounds like the p.o. was just in a bad mood, to not let you off with just a warning.  I wonder if this had anything to do with the NAIS?  Getting to be that you have to have a lawyer to haul next door......

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-29 6:58 AM (#66694 - in reply to #66684)

Expert

Why would  AQHA be of any help? PS- candaian nationals is an arabian horse show.......

This is a matter for a good lawyer.

Iowa NBHA Webmaster
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-29 7:24 AM (#66695 - in reply to #66684)

I live in Iowa and to be honest, if you ask 2 different officers, you will probably get two different answers.

I found this on the Iowa DOT website, make sure to check out page 30 and 31 of the Document (I did a search for horses).

http://www.iamvd.com/omve/truckguide.pdf

I have some friends who are in the law enforcement field, I will try to get an answer from them.

Edited by Iowa NBHA Webmaster 2007-08-29 7:30 AM
CurlyRidingcowboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-29 7:54 AM (#66699 - in reply to #66684)

CurlyRidingcowboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-29 8:05 AM (#66701 - in reply to #66699)

I live in Minnesota My wife manages a feed store. For a spring promotion she had a DOT lady come in and go over trailer laws with her customers on a saturday. We used her cousins trailer for a demonstrator vehicle. When she was done with his truck and trailer she said that she could have gave him a long list of tickets along with an out of service tag. But since he was there being a good sport for education he got told to fix it.

If you are hauling your own personall horses in a living quarters trailer it is considered a RV and a Class A/ DOT requirements are not required.

If you do not have a living quarters or the horses are not yours you are required to follow all Comercial vehicle requirements for you vehicle over 20lbs. Now no matter what the weight is in Minnesota if you are commerical hauling you need full Commercial insections as well.

His truck and trailer. 2003 F350 4x4 shortbox non dually with a 4 horse featherlite big horse. She said wether he used for his business or not ( he is a farrier and horse transporter)

He needs to have a class A license which he did have, but what he didnt have was:

A dot number, Dot inspection, Federal Fuel tax permit ( he transports out of state), Job application in glove box, Name on the side of the truck, marker lights on the roof of truck,  log book, Working break away cable.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-29 8:36 AM (#66702 - in reply to #66684)

Expert

I have to say something here,and I may get blasted from people about it,but,I'm used to that on here.I personally think that is a bunch of BULL S---!!

You can pull all the sorry looking crap you want to all over our state,most without tags,ect.Big farm trucks,running up and down the roads during harvest (I'm not protesting because we're farmers) but who the H-- cares if those guys trying to make an honest living getting a crop out has a commercial license,ect.?

I see all sorts of rigs going up and down the road in Missouri,too,not to mention Mississippi (we won't even talk about stuff on the road there and in Louisiana.) And what does anybody care THERE? They don't.

I don't think they have enough to do up there in Iowa,myself.It's just about the silliest thing I've ever heard,and a blatant all out discriminatory effort to find a way to stick it to some out of staters going through there pulling a horse trailer,for crying out loud.

How the H--- do they think that everybody passing through each state using the highways that tax dollars out of every taxpayer and consumer in the country have paid for is going to know each law in each state?

I think those cops need to be worried about things a little more serious that are affecting this country than some horse trailers passing through THEIR territory that they can take advantage of.Such as:drugs. I'm sure Iowa is not an exception,hickey as it is (And I'm from the king of Hickey states myself,I'll admit) in that they've got them there,too.

There are no real freedoms anymore.Pulling over horse trailers? Come on.I don't think they are busy enough.

CurlyRidingcowboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-29 9:09 AM (#66704 - in reply to #66684)

CurlyRidingcowboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-29 9:11 AM (#66705 - in reply to #66684)

I completely agree they would have been things to do I had little crack in my windshield. People were flying by me way over the post speed and I got pulled over for the crack in the windshield and got a fix it ticket. They have trailer laws out there and I guess we have to follow them, or run the risk of getting a fix it ticket.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-29 9:33 AM (#66708 - in reply to #66705)

Expert

We were taking our LQ trailer that we had traded up to Missouri to meet up with the man bringing the other one at a certain designation.

We were pulled over by one of Arkansas' finest,and he must have known exactly where to sit to pull US over with over 40' of rig,because there was only one place we could pull over at that spot.Had he not caught us there,we would have had to have driven several miles,lights flashing and probably several other hillbilliy gestapos on the way before we could safely pull over.

Anyway,we couldn't imagine what in the world he was stopping us for.We were by no means speeding,trying to climb a long hill,truckers and others flying by like we were sitting still,ect.He was polite,asked for  driver's license and insurance proof,and walked around the trailer,looked in the bed at the hitch,I'm assuming,since Arkansas recently enacted safety chain laws (can you believe it??)

Then he tells us calmly,'You guys are running with your park lights on,you know,that's illegal to do here."

I thought,"WHAT???" Pull us over with a rig that took half a football field to get into,people passing by all the while like they were going to a fire,and we'd met deer hunters by the tons that day with old trailers/no tags,probably had stolen 4 wheelers loaded on them,no tagged deer,ect.already.(First day of deer hunt.)

We have automatic light function on our truck,and he'd turned the lights on manually,but just had not turned the switch far enough over for the headlights to come on.We explained it to the officer.We had no idea,but we knew about the parking light law anyway.He politely gave us a warning and sent us off,and went on his way,presumably to catch another big horse trailer coming through.

We met about 6 cars down the road driving with their park lights on.I'd loved to have been able to turn around and go back,see what happened.

dblhocker
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-29 9:57 AM (#66710 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

I live in Iowa, and this has been going on for several years now.  One of my friends was pulling his living quarters trailer down the interstate with no horses in it, and drove past the weigh station without pulling in.  One of the DOT officers then proceeded to chase him down and made him come back to the scales.  They then threw the book at him similar to what happened to keeponhaulin. 

The DOT in Iowa seems to think that there is some easy money to be made cracking down on laws that pertain to the trucking industry.  An officer from the DOT spoke at the Iowa Horse Fair this past spring, and he primarily explained how they interpret the law. If your GVW rating of your truck and trailer combined exceeds 26,000 pounds, you are required to have a CDL and meet all the requirements that having a CDL entails, no matter why you are hauling.  If you are under 26,000 combined, you are OK with a class C license, as long as you aren't using your vehicle for commerce.   However, they define commerce as anything that adds value to your horse, such as showing.   Also, they consider hauling a mare to a farm to get bred as commerce, or selling a horse at auction.

I asked specifically that since I don't deduct any expenses for my horses on my taxes, and consider it strictly a hobby, if these regulations applied to me.  His response was that they aren't the IRS, and yes they do apply to me.  My wife and I then decided that if we are ever stopped by the DOT, we are always coming from a trail ride, and never a show or a roping.

The only exception to the above laws is if you can get your vehicle registered as an RV, then these laws don't apply to you.  The frustrating part is that there can be an 85 year old guy driving his Freightliner pulling a huge 5th wheel travel trailer and they can't touch him, but they can get all over me because I've been to the local horse show and had a chance to win $10.

I think the horse industry needs to get a better organized and get some lobbyists, as that is what the RV industry has done.  Until this happens, unfortunately we'll hear even more of this kind of thing, whether it's Iowa or some other state that decides that there is some easy ticket money to be had.

Edited by dblhocker 2007-08-31 9:35 AM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-29 10:15 AM (#66711 - in reply to #66684)

OK   I admit that I did not know that the Canadian Nationals was an Arabian horse show.  Now as to AQHA, they are large, well organized and very interested in everything that affects the use of horses in the United States.  They offered legal assistance to the Shawnee and were rebuffed (yeah, I know....goofy). 

Having said that, I am a lawyer.  We are legal in TN and our trailers DO NOT have tags because we are a farm.  We tried to get the BRAND INSPECTOR in South Dakota to come inspect our horses and papers.  He REFUSED to come to the camp;  wanted us to load up and come to a town where there was NO PLACE to unload the horses safely.  THAT counts as a REFUSAL.  We did not get stopped anywhere, BUT I was READY and LOADED for BEAR.....AND LITIGATION. 

I still think Iowa is looking for easy money because people will get the h--- out of the state and just mail in the fines.  In the olden days, there were certain counties in certain states that always had speed traps looking for out of state plates for this reason.

So again I say, if you are legal in your state then you are legal everywhere.  It is called the Commerce Clause in the US Constitution.....that is why you do not have border crossings at every state line.  IMO Iowa is VIOLATING the US Constition since they are IMPEDING interstate commerce.

dblhocker
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-29 10:32 AM (#66715 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

It would be interesting to find out if keeponhaulin' is considered legal in Texas, since the GVWR of their rig is over the 26,000 pound threshhold.  Most gooseneck trailers of any size have 7000 pound axles, which puts means most of them have a GVWR rating of at least 14,000 pounds or more.  Most newer dually pickups now have a GVWR rating of at least 12,500, which puts you over the 26,000 pound threshhold no matter what you actually weigh. 
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-29 10:41 AM (#66718 - in reply to #66684)

I wonder what DOT would do if EVERY dually owner simultaneously asked for DOT numbers

AND every farm trailer likewise

mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-29 10:49 AM (#66720 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

Rose, Go get em girl!!!!

dbhocker, I have a small part time golf cart business and sell small equipment trailers to go whith them.

This is the information I get from my trailer supplier.

The axles with 5 lugs are #3500, the axles with 6 lugs are called #5200, the ones with 8 lugs are called #7000.

Now for the funny part a #5200 6 lug axle actually weighs more that the 8 lug #7000.

I just looked at our big 4 horse, it has 8 lug wheels but has an id tag of 10,400 GVR.

Now I'm completely confused.

dblhocker
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-29 10:59 AM (#66721 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

Mike and darcy, I believe you can actually get 5,200 lb. and 6000 lb axles that have 8 lugs.  My guess is that you actually have 5,200 lb axles instead of 7,000. The only way to really tell for sure is to crawl under your trailer and the axles should have a tag on them which indicates what weight they actually are rated for. 

The ironic thing about all of this to me is that people have been preaching to make sure you have enough truck for your trailer, make sure you are safe.  Now that some people are following this advice and upgrading to a truck that is safer, it's coming back to bite them in the butt.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-29 11:04 AM (#66723 - in reply to #66684)

ok out of curiousity I looked up the weight stuff in the Tennessee Code and I am going to try to copy it here:

<script language=JavaScript> //Check for Chapter publications. If a chapter pub, then display link to Chapter child window var url = location.href; document.writeln('');
Show Full ChapterShow Full ChapterEmail This PagePrint This Page

<meta content="NextPage - LivePublish" name=Author><link href="/images/customcontent.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><script language=Javascript> function RedirectUrl(strRealPath, strLookFor, strResolve) { //alert("Calling RedirectUrl"); strCurrentLocation='' + window.location; nQueryIndex=strCurrentLocation.indexOf("?"); if(nQueryIndex!=-1) { strQuery=strCurrentLocation.substr(nQueryIndex, strCurrentLocation.length); } else { strQuery=""; } //alert(strQuery + 'Location is ' + strCurrentLocation + "Real path is " + strRealPath + " and lookfor is " + strLookFor + " " + strCurrentLocation.length + " and strResolve is " + strResolve); strNewLocation=''; iReplaceAt=strCurrentLocation.indexOf(strLookFor); //alert("IReplaceAt is " + iReplaceAt); iReplaceAt=iReplaceAt-1; strNewLocation=strCurrentLocation.substr(0, iReplaceAt); //alert("strNewLocation is " + strNewLocation); strNewLocation=strNewLocation+strRealPath; strNewLocation=strNewLocation+strResolve; strNewLocation=strNewLocation+strQuery; //alert('New location is ' + strNewLocation); self.location=strNewLocation; }

55-7-203. Maximum weight per axle or group of axles allowed. —

Except as otherwise provided by law, no freight motor vehicle shall be operated over, on, or upon the public highways of this state where the total weight on a single axle or any group of axles exceeds the weight limitations set forth below in subdivisions (1)-(7).

(1(ANo axle shall carry a load in excess of twenty thousand pounds (20,000 lbs.).

(BAxle combinations and fifth wheel placement on the tractor shall ensure equal weight distribution on weight carrying axle combinations, and such axle combination shall be equipped with brakes having power motivation.

(CAn axle load as set out herein is defined as the total load transmitted to the road by all wheels whose centers may be included between two (2) parallel transverse vertical planes, forty inches (40²) apart, extending across the full width of the vehicle.

(2The total gross weight concentrated on the highway surface from any tandem axle group shall not exceed thirty-four thousand pounds (34,000 lbs.) for each such tandem axle group. “Tandem axle group” means two (2) or more axles spaced forty inches (40²) or more apart from center to center having at least one (1) common point of weight suspension.

(3The total gross weight of a vehicle, freight motor vehicle, truck-tractor, trailer or semitrailer or combinations of such vehicles operated over, on or upon the public highways of this state shall not exceed eighty thousand pounds (80,000 lbs.); provided, that none of the foregoing shall be operated over or on the interstate system of this state where the total gross weight of such vehicle or combination thereof including the load therein exceeds seventy-three thousand two hundred eighty pounds (73,280 lbs.) or where the weight exceeds eighteen thousand pounds (18,000 lbs.) on any single axle or where the weight exceeds thirty-two thousand pounds (32,000 lbs.) on any tandem axle group unless the weight is distributed on a group of two (2) or more consecutive axles produced by application of the following formula:

(Click here to view Equation)

Where W = overall gross weight on any group of two (2) or more consecutive axles to the nearest five hundred pounds (500 lbs.), L = distance in feet between the extreme of any group of two (2) or more consecutive axles, and N = number of axles in group under consideration, except that two (2) consecutive sets of tandem axles may carry a gross load of thirty-four thousand pounds (34,000 lbs.) each, where the overall distance between the first and last axles of such consecutive sets of tandem axles is thirty-six feet (36") or more, except such vehicles, or combinations thereof operating under special permits now authorized by law; provided, that wherever a maximum permissive gross weight of eighty thousand pounds (80,000 lbs.) or of lengths prescribed in § 55-7-201 or a height of thirteen and one-half feet (13 ½") is authorized for any vehicle or combination of vehicles, it is the legislative intent that the prescribed weight, length, and height limits shall be strictly enforced, and it is unlawful for any state, county, or municipal officer to allow or permit any additional weight, length or height by way of tolerance or otherwise, except that the commissioner of transportation may issue special permits pursuant to § 55-7-205.

(4“Freight motor vehicle,” as used in this section, includes both the tractor or truck and the trailer, semitrailer or trailers, if any, and the weight of any such combination shall not exceed the maximum fixed herein; provided, that no freight motor vehicle with motive power shall haul more than one (1) vehicle unless otherwise provided.

(5No freight motor vehicle shall haul a trailer on any highway of this state when such trailer (including its load) weighs more than three thousand five hundred pounds (3,500 lbs.). Such restrictions on hauling a trailer in excess weight of three thousand five hundred pounds (3,500 lbs.) by a freight motor vehicle, as described in the preceding sentence, shall not be applicable whenever a converter dolly or equivalent fixed connection having the same safety characteristics is appropriately installed or placed under the trailer to be hauled by such freight motor vehicle. For the purposes hereof, “trailer” means a vehicle without motive power designed or used for carrying freight or property wholly on its own structure; provided, that it is not unlawful for any motor vehicle subject to this part to have a semitrailer, which, for the purposes hereof, is defined as a vehicle for the carrying of property or freight and so designed that some part of the weight of such semitrailer or its load rests upon or is carried by the motor vehicle to which it is attached. The hauling of a trailer (to the extent herein permitted) or a semitrailer shall be subject to the further provisions hereof. This part is not intended to prohibit the movements of spools carrying wire or cable, when used for construction or repair purposes. The weight limitation respecting trailers shall not be applicable to implements designed to distribute fertilizer while such vehicles are being drawn by a freight motor vehicle between the plant and the farm.

(6If the gross weight of a freight motor vehicle does not exceed the sum obtained by computing the total weight allowable for the number and type of its axles, the driver shall not be cited for violation of an axle weight limitation while transporting crushed stone, fill dirt and rock, soil, bulk sand, coal, clay, shale, phosphate muck, asphalt, concrete, other building materials, solid waste, tankage or animal residues, livestock and agricultural products, or agricultural limestone over the state highway system other than the portion designated as the interstate system.

(7For purposes of enforcement of this section, weight restrictions shall be deemed to have a margin of error of ten percent (10%) of the true gross or axle weight for all logging, sand, coal, clay, shale, phosphate, solid waste, recovered materials, farm trucks and machinery trucks when being operated over the state highway system other than the portion designated as the interstate system. For the purposes of this subdivision (7):

(A“Clay truck” means those trucks used for hauling clay from the place of extraction to the place where such clay is used or processed;

(B“Coal truck” means those trucks used for hauling coal and coal products;

(C“Farm truck” means those trucks utilized by farmers to load grain, fiber, produce, livestock, milk or other agricultural products produced on their farms and to transport such agricultural commodities to their respective markets. Such trucks include farm to market transportation when the truck is operated by the farmer, the farmer's family or employee or a representative hired by the farmer to haul the commodity;

(D“Logging truck” means those trucks used for hauling logs, pulpwood, bark, wood chips or wood dust from the woods to the mill or from the mill to a loading or storage place or market;

(E“Machinery truck” means those trucks used for hauling machinery by the owner/operator within a one hundred (100) mile radius of the base location of such owner/operator's area of operation, subject to the limitation of one (1) such truck per owner/operator;

(F“Phosphate truck” means those trucks used for hauling phosphate, phosphate products, or other raw materials used in the manufacture of phosphorus;

(G“Recovered materials truck” means those trucks used for hauling recovered materials, as defined in § 68-211-802, but only while those materials are being hauled from the point of generation to the facility where they will be processed for subsequent shipment to an end-user;

(H“Sand truck” means those trucks used for hauling raw sand from the place of extraction to the place where such sand is used or processed; provided, that if the commissioner of transportation is formally notified by an appropriate federal officer that as a result of any provision of Acts 1989, ch. 349, adding sand trucks to this subdivision (7) that Tennessee will lose federal funds, then such act shall be void and inoperative;

(I“Shale truck” means those trucks used for hauling shale from the place of extraction to the place where such shale is used or processed; and

(J“Solid waste truck” means those trucks used for hauling solid waste, as defined in § 68-211-802, but only while such solid waste is being collected and being hauled from the place or places of collection to a landfill or disposal facility.

[Acts 1933, ch. 35, § 2; 1935 (E.S.), ch. 17, § 1; 1939, ch. 105, § 6; 1941, ch. 84, § 3; 1945, ch. 164, § 3; C. Supp. 1950, § 2715.3 (Williams, §§ 1166.33, 2715.2); Acts 1959, ch. 87, § 3; 1963, ch. 103, §§ 3, 4; 1970, ch. 501, § 2; 1976, ch. 411, § 1; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 59-1109; Acts 1981, ch. 448, § 6; 1981, ch. 535, §§ 1-3; 1982, ch. 904, § 2; 1982, ch. 912, § 3; 1982, ch. 953, §§ 6, 8; 1983, ch. 319, § 6; 1987, ch. 425, §§ 1-3, 5, 6; 1988, ch. 642, §§ 1-5; 1988, ch. 1028, § 1; T.C.A., § 55-11-203; Acts 1989, ch. 35, §§ 1, 2; 1989, ch. 349, §§ 1-3; 1994, ch. 673, § 1; 1995, ch. 139, §§ 1, 2; 1995, ch. 220, § 1; 1996, ch. 882, §§ 1, 2, 4, 5.]

<form name=LPHitCountForm>

<script type=text/javascript> // Hit Tracker - object for moving between hit anchors in a document//// Features:// * No FolioHitCount form is needed.// * First hit doesn't have to be LPHit1.// * Detects some binary documents.// * Works around IE 5.5 bug changing location.hash in XML.// constantsvar hit_prefix = "LPHit";// constructorfunction HitTracker(document_window){ // public this.prevMatch = HitTracker_prevMatch; // Move to previous match. Returns false if at first. this.nextMatch = HitTracker_nextMatch; // Move to next match. Returns false if at last. this.isTracking = HitTracker_isTracking; // Able to track hits on this document? // private this.construct = HitTracker_construct; this.checkState = HitTracker_checkState; this.moveToAnchor = HitTracker_moveToAnchor; this.document_window = null; this.document_object = null; this.first_match = null; this.current_match = null; this.total_matches = null; this.total_anchors = null; this.pathname = null;}// public methodsfunction HitTracker_prevMatch(document_window){ var ok = false; this.checkState(document_window); if (this.document_object != null) { if (this.current_match -1 >= this.first_match) { this.moveToAnchor(hit_prefix + (--this.current_match)); ok = true; } } return ok;}function HitTracker_nextMatch(document_window){ var ok = false; this.checkState(document_window); if (this.document_object != null) { if (this.current_match + 1 <= this.total_matches) { this.moveToAnchor(hit_prefix + (++this.current_match)); ok = true; } } return ok;}function HitTracker_isTracking(document_window){ // Is this a document that the browser renders natively, or is a // plug-in/activex involved? If this is a non-native document, we // can't do anything about navigating hits. this.checkState(document_window); return this.document_object != null;}// private methodsfunction HitTracker_construct(document_window){ this.document_window = document_window; this.document_object = document_window.document; this.first_match = HitTracker_getFirstMatch(document_window.document); this.current_match = this.first_match; this.total_matches = HitTracker_getTotalMatches(document_window.document) - (this.first_match - 1); this.total_anchors = document_window.document.anchors.length; this.pathname = document_window.location.pathname;// alert("Construct: first=" + this.first_match + " current=" + this.current_match + " total=" + this.total_matches); }function HitTracker_checkState(document_window){ if (HitTracker_isTrackableDocument(document_window)) { if (document_window.location.pathname != this.pathname) { this.construct(document_window); } else if (this.total_anchors != document_window.document.anchors.length) { // in case they moved to a different match before the document finished loading this.total_matches = HitTracker_getTotalMatches(document_window.document) - (this.first_match - 1); this.total_anchors = document_window.document.anchors.length; } } else { this.document_object = null; }}function HitTracker_moveToAnchor(anchor){ this.document_window.location.hash = anchor; if (this.document_window.location.hash != anchor) { // work around IE 5.5 bug if (-1 != navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 5.5")) { for (var a = 0; a < this.document_window.document.anchors.length; a++) { if (this.document_window.document.anchors[a].name == anchor) { this.document_window.document.anchors[a].scrollIntoView(); break; } } } }}// static methodsfunction HitTracker_getFirstMatch(document_object){ var first_match = 1; for (var a = 0; a < document_object.anchors.length; a++) { if (document_object.anchors[a].name.substring(0, hit_prefix.length) == hit_prefix) { first_match = parseInt(document_object.anchors[a].name.substring(hit_prefix.length)); break; } } return first_match;}function HitTracker_getTotalMatches(document_object){ var total_matches = 0; for (var a = 0; a < document_object.anchors.length; a++) { if (document_object.anchors[a].name.substring(0, hit_prefix.length) == hit_prefix) { total_matches++; } } return total_matches;}function HitTracker_isTrackableDocument(document_window){ // Windows containing MS Office documents do not have a window.document property. Any // attempt to reference it or detect its presence will result in a JavaScript runtime // error. So we'll do our best to detect it. var doc_ok = true; // try to determine if this is an office document by checking the file extension var path = document_window.location.pathname; var ext_index = path.lastIndexOf("."); if (ext_index != -1) { var ext = path.substring(ext_index); if (ext == ".doc" || ext == ".pdf" || ext == ".xls" || ext == ".ppt") { doc_ok = false; } } return doc_ok;}function HitTracker_handleError(message, url, line) { alert("Error: " + message + "\nLocation: " + url + "\nLine: " + line); return true; } var use_viewer = "Please use the document's viewer to navigate hits.";function getDocumentWindow() { if (top.main == null) { return top; } // top.main exists if (top.main.doc == null) { return top.main; } // top.main.doc exists return top.main.doc;}function getScriptName(){ var path = location.pathname; path = path.substring(0, path.indexOf('.') + 4); return path;}function getCookie(cookie_name) { var cookie = document.cookie; var script_cookie_name = getScriptName() + "/" + cookie_name; script_cookie_name = script_cookie_name.substring(1); var index = cookie.indexOf(script_cookie_name + "="); if (-1 == index) { return ""; } index = cookie.indexOf("=", index); if (-1 == index) { return ""; } var endstr = cookie.indexOf(";", index); if (-1 == endstr) { endstr = cookie.length; } var cookie_value = unescape(cookie.substring(index + 1, endstr)); if (cookie_value == null || cookie_value == "null" || cookie_value == "" || cookie_value.indexOf("undefined") >= 0 || cookie_value.lastIndexOf("=") == cookie_value.length - 1) { cookie_value = ""; } return cookie_value;}function doClearQuery(redirect_template){ parent.window.location = location.pathname + '?f=hitlist&t=' + redirect_template + '&c=redirect&q='; top.docnav.window.location.reload(true);}function doHideResults(redirect_template){ parent.window.location = location.pathname + "?f=hitlist&c=curr"; top.docnav.update();}function doCloseResultWindow(redirect_template){ parent.window.location = location.pathname + "?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm"; top.docnav.update();}function getFrameWindow(frame_name){ var frame_window = null; if(frame_name == "_self") { return window; } if (frame_name != null && frame_name.length > 0) { frame_window = parent.frames[frame_name] } else { frame_window = window; } return frame_window;}function displayQueryResults() { top.main.location.href = getScriptName() + '?f=templates&fn=main-hit-h.htm';}function doPrevNextHit(prev){ // var doc_window = getFrameWindow(document_frame_name); var doc_window = getDocumentWindow(); if (!hit_tracker.isTracking(doc_window)) { alert(use_viewer); } else { if (prev) { if (!hit_tracker.prevMatch(doc_window)) { if (confirm("There are no more hits in this document.\nMove to the previous document with hits?")) { doPrevHitDoc(); } } } else { if (!hit_tracker.nextMatch(doc_window)) { if (confirm("There are no more hits in this document.\nMove to the next document with hits?")) { doNextHitDoc(); } } } } return false;}function doPrevHit(){ doPrevNextHit(true);}function doNextHit(){ doPrevNextHit(false);}function doPrevDoc(document_frame_name, template){ // var doc_window = getFrameWindow(document_frame_name); var doc_window = getDocumentWindow(); if (doc_window != null) { doc_window.location = getScriptName() + '?f=Prevdoc&t=' + template + '&cache=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 10000); }}function doNextDoc(document_frame_name, template){ // var doc_window = getFrameWindow(document_frame_name); var doc_window = getDocumentWindow(); if (doc_window != null) { doc_window.location = getScriptName() + '?f=Nextdoc&t=' + template + '&cache=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 10000); }}function doPrevHitDoc(document_frame_name){ var doc_window = getDocumentWindow(); if (doc_window != null) { if (doc_window.isHitListStart != null && doc_window.isHitListStart == 1) { // it is already at the hitListStart, do nothing } else { doc_window.location = getScriptName() + '?f=hitlist&c=prev&gh=1' + '&cache=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 10000) + '#LPHit1'; } }}function doNextHitDoc(document_frame_name){ var doc_window = getDocumentWindow(); if (doc_window != null) { if (doc_window.isHitListEnd != null && doc_window.isHitListEnd == 1) { // it is already at the hitListEnd, do nothing } else { doc_window.location = getScriptName() + '?f=hitlist&c=next&gh=1' + '&cache=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 10000) + '#LPHit1'; } }}function doSynchronizeContents(contents_frame_name, contents_frame_url){ var current_document = escape(getCookie("doc")); // whack any leading slash character var index = current_document.indexOf("/"); if (index == 0) { current_document = current_document.substring(1); } var contents_window = getFrameWindow(contents_frame_name); if (contents_window != null) { if (contents_window.document.JTOC == null) { var url = contents_frame_url + '&cp=' + current_document + '&c=100&sync=2&cache=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 10000) + '#TOCSYNC'; contents_window.location.href = url; } else { if(contents_window.document.JTOC != null) { contents_window.document.JTOC.syncTOC(current_document); } else if(contents_frame_url != null) { contents_window.location = contents_frame_url; } } }}function doReference(template){ var ref_window = window.open(template, "Reference", "width=500,height=175,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no"); if (_js_ >= 1.1) { ref_window.focus(); }}function viewSearchForm(search_form_params, toc_template, no_toc_template, options){ // search_form_params looks like this: // frame-type:search-form-id if (search_form_params != "#NoForm") { var delim_offset = search_form_params.indexOf(":"); if (delim_offset != -1) { var frame_type = search_form_params.substring(0, delim_offset); var search_form_id = search_form_params.substring(delim_offset+1); var component; switch (frame_type) { case "contents": component = "?f=templates&fn=" + toc_template; component = "?f=templates&fn=" + no_toc_template; break; case "no-contents": component = "?f=templates&fn=" + no_toc_template; break; default: component = "?f=searchforms"; break; } parent.main.window.location = getScriptName() + component + "&id=" + search_form_id + "&" + options; } }}function getInfobaseName(contentPath){ if (contentPath == null || contentPath == "") { return null; } var cp = contentPath; if (cp[0] == '/') { cp = cp.substring(1); } if (cp == null || cp == "") { return null; } var i = cp.indexOf('/'); if (i < 0) { return cp; } return cp.substring(0, i);}

previous documentnext document
<script language=JavaScript>//JavaScript at boottom to catch correct document referencefunction sendEmail(){ var hostServer = location.hostname; documentPath=escape(getCookie("doc")); if (documentPath == null || documentPath.length == 0 || hostServer == null) return; documentURL="http://" + hostServer +"/tennessee/lpExt.dll?f=templates&eMail=Y&fn=main-h.htm&cp="+documentPath; emailTo=""; emailSubject="Michie's Legal Resource Link"; emailBody="\n\n" + documentURL; emailURL = "mailto:" + escape(emailTo) + "?subject=" + escape(emailSubject) + "&body=" + escape(emailBody); window.location = emailURL;}

Edited by rose 2007-08-29 11:07 AM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-29 11:09 AM (#66725 - in reply to #66684)

Sorry about all that computer stuff.  I could not get rid of it.  Anyway, horses are LIVESTOCK  and this is another reason to keep horses designated as LIVESTOCK.

IMO Iowa s---s

dblhocker
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-29 11:36 AM (#66731 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

One more way that Iowa gets us is that horses aren't considered an agricultural product in Iowa, so any exemptions that apply to farmers don't apply to horse hauling. 

rattler
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-29 11:41 AM (#66732 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

How does Iowa intepret farm logo's posted on a trailer....does that automatically make you commericial?
dblhocker
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-29 11:56 AM (#66733 - in reply to #66684)

Regular

Farm logos don't automatically make you commercial, but they are just one more red flag that makes the DOT that much more likely to stop you.  I do know of several people that have taken off any logos off of their trailer for this very reason.

While this latest incident has happended in Iowa, there have been several articles in various magazines lately of this happening in other states also.  I don't want people to think that just because they don't drive in Iowa they should be OK, it's happening all across the country.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-29 12:26 PM (#66737 - in reply to #66710)

Expert

But they are clearly interpreting the law strictly to suit their own interests.Any competent attorney would be able to look at the law,specifically 49 CFR 390.3 and see that it excludes such as yourself,me,and keepontruckin.

Part a: "The rules in SUbchapter B of this chapter are applicable to all employers,employees,and commercial motor vehicles,which transport property or passengers in interstate commerce. " Then comes the rules,bla bla bla.

Part f:"Unless otherwise specifically provided,the rules in this subchapter do not apply to---"(f3)"The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise."

Just their interpretation of  what "THEY" think is compensation or commercial doesn't make it so,and a good law firm would love to get ahold of it and tear somebody in Iowa and elsewhere a new one over it,I'm sure.It shouldn't be the responsibility of honest decent people on the road persuing a hobby whether it's hauling to a show or breeding a mare to PROVE to these arrogant little Hitlers in their perceived  places of power that they are indeed ,in all honesty,not commercial haulers.

They've found another way that they THINK they can line their coffers with and promote themselves in their public offices,also,in which they were put there in the first place by taxpayers and voters that can have them dethroned.

If you don't stand up and holler loud enough from the rooftops about something,you give everybody like this the eternal right to do the same thing over and over and over.Greed and dishonesty feed on themselves.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-29 12:31 PM (#66738 - in reply to #66711)

Expert

Originally written by rose on 2007-08-29 10:15 AM

In the olden days, there were certain counties in certain states that always had speed traps looking for out of state plates for this reason.

We had one ourselves,not in the olden days,it was not so long ago,right here in my county in a town not far from where I-55 is picked up going to Memphis.

They did it for years and got by with it,until they got a gun slinging female in there that I believe,the story went,pulled a gun on an unsuspecting motorist that knew the right people.

No more speed trap,no more gun slinger female cop,and no more MALE speed trap cop either.There is still a speed limit there,but no one sitting there waiting on people like a spider to write them a stick it to you Arkansas style ticket for going 5mph over the speed limit.

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)