'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Best Brand Trailor

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-08-02 2:19 PM
32 replies, 8467 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Barrelracer2010
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-25 11:45 PM (#64423)
Subject: Best Brand Trailor

New User

I barrel race, and we are starting to head out of state more and I want something bigger than what I have. I want somehting with a slide out and prices from 50,000 to around 80,000 I looked at so many trailors already they all look nice but which has the nicest quality? I have an older exciss and the shower broke off! In 2 spots, now that isnt to good of quality. No ofense... Just want to get some opinions...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
KY Dealer
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-26 12:36 PM (#64443 - in reply to #64423)
Subject: RE: Best Brand Trailor

New User

I have sold many brands of trailers, worked for several manufactures as a "Factory Rep" had horses for 40 years and am damm picky about trailer construction.  My advise to you is look beyond pretty, beyond cheap price.  It's what you can't see (quality construction / and materials) that makes the trailer cheaply made or high quality.

Many Manufactures offer bargin basement prices for poorly made trailers.  Just like a low price house, pair of shoes or poorly made saddle, you get what you pay for.

Look under the trailer at the frame, look at welds, look at the history of defects or quality craftmanship. Buy the best you can afford, not the least expensive.  You will be glad you did years and miles down the road.

ggrimm01
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-07-26 12:57 PM (#64444 - in reply to #64423)

Regular

Here is my $.02 cents worth.  Bloomer is the cadilac of trailers and has a price to show this.   4 Star, Elite, C&C, fall in closely with Bloomer, but give you more bang for your buck.   Cherokee, Exiss, Sooner, Twister, Trailswest and several others fall in between the middle of the road to upper scale, however you need to follow what KYDealer is stating and look at the trailer all the way down to the nut, bolts and welds.  Pull up the mats and do some digging. 

Edited by ggrimm01 2007-07-26 12:58 PM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-07-26 2:32 PM (#64449 - in reply to #64423)

Expert

OK so now if we are going tostart looking at quality and craftmanship- what the heck does a good weld look like? What does quality construction look like? I can generally spot something thats obviously bad but when you start looking under the trailer at the frame, what are you looking for?

Quality isn't always based on price alone- plenty of people are driving Chevys, which are less expensive than a cadillac, without any complaints. It might not have all the creature comforts but it gets the job done ( going from point A to point B safely and ontime) if you want a safe and dependable trailer, there are lots out there to choose from. If you want the stuff that makes you happy and other people envious, then you'll pay more but still you get from spot to another. I also have a older Exiss and its been rock solid and I use it pretty much every weekend. Just because a shower broke off doesn't mean the whole thing is rotten( and most LQ's arent manufactured by the trailer maker either). If you're looking to spend 50k-80k, you're not worried about price, you want stuff. Go look at them, at shows, at dealers and at Expos. Only you can make the choice- its your money after all.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-07-26 2:40 PM (#64450 - in reply to #64449)

Expert

If I had as you say up to 80G for a trailer,I guess Hart would be my choice.

However price doesn't guarantee quality as farmbabe is talking about,plenty of folks drive chevy's or hondas compared to Lexus and Mercedes and they get the job done.

Expensive doesn't necessarily mean quality,and lower priced trailers aren't always a poorly made trailer.I too have an Exiss and have found that it is a solid trailer.The interior isn't done by the trailer manufacturer more than likely.

Our shower arm broke off too,that was in a Platinum trailer,brand new,interior by Outlaw.It was because: going down the road,it was jarred out of it's plastic holder and fell into the shower floor.I take my handheld shower piece down before we travel now just to be sure.Not saying that is why yours broke off,but it's not the quality of the trailer overall judged by a broken piece inside.

If you have that amount of money,take your time and look around.

mseyle
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-07-26 3:46 PM (#64452 - in reply to #64423)

Take some of your money and learn to spell and then take the rest of the 50,000 to 80,000 and buy.
Trailor (Trailer)
Exciss (Exiss)
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-07-26 7:40 PM (#64459 - in reply to #64452)

Expert

That was real nice of you guys.

What in the H --- compels people to make fun of and humiliate others  in public because of something like their spelling ability?

Maybe YOU need to take some money and spend it on charm school learning some manners and how to treat others asking a honest, well mannered question.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-07-26 8:01 PM
liv to ride
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-27 1:52 AM (#64468 - in reply to #64423)

Veteran

The best of luck to you in your trailer search. I had a Sundownner which i absolutely loved. Pulled great and held up wonderfully. The only reason I sold it was because I wanted something bigger. If you want something new with a slide in that price range, I would go with a Featherlite for the upper end of the price range or a Trails West on the lower end of the price range. I compete alot and wherever I go I look to see what other people are pulling and talk to them about their likes and dislikes. That the best way to find out about how a trailer performs. More money doesn't always mean more quality. By the way I think your right A liitle charm school never hurt anybody!
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-07-27 7:57 AM (#64473 - in reply to #64423)

Elite Veteran

Barrelracer,  Get the trailer that you LIKE!  If you've got some age on yourself (Like if you're older than 20), chances are, your trailer will last your lifetime, your horses won't fall through the bottom, and with proper maintanence, it will look good for years to come.

As a newcomer to this forum (since I see you've only posted a thread once), I apologize for the snide remarks about spelling.  Of course I shouldn't be the one apologizing since it wasn't me who was ugly to you.  I hope you return to the forum with more questions/comments etc. and let us,the ones who care, know what trailer you decided to buy.  Good luck! 

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-07-27 9:52 AM (#64481 - in reply to #64473)

Expert

Yeah,girl,you see it too. And dittos also,a bunch of them.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-07-27 9:53 AM
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-07-27 10:34 AM (#64484 - in reply to #64452)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by mseyle on 2007-07-26 3:46 PM

Take some of your money and learn to spell and then take the rest of the 50,000 to 80,000 and buy. Trailor (Trailer) Exciss (Exiss)

This is a forum for sharing valuable information needed about the ownership and operation of horse trailers and moving our horses safely.  If any one who has a question is too intimidated to post here for fear their grammer, spelling and syntax may be criticized . . . . what's the use of having this bulletin board?

Marion  - (Mseyle) . . . Our only requirement for posting here is courtesy, common sense and civility. 

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-07-27 10:47 AM (#64485 - in reply to #64484)

Expert

Originally written by DaveM on 2007-07-27 10:34 AM

Originally written by mseyle on 2007-07-26 3:46 PM

Take some of your money and learn to spell and then take the rest of the 50,000 to 80,000 and buy. Trailor (Trailer) Exciss (Exiss)

Marion  - (Mseyle) . . . Our only requirement for posting here is courtesy, common sense and civility. 

Sounds like a catfight to me, and I'm not smart enough to stay away from it. I always have been attracted to the train wrecks though.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-07-27 12:17 PM (#64486 - in reply to #64485)

Expert

Implying that is it a "woman" thing and that men can't be rude,inconsiderate,ect.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-27 12:19 PM (#64487 - in reply to #64484)

Expert

Dave, you are totally right! But it's not only grammar and spelling issues that are attacked. Some posters feel the need to insult anyone with an different opinion than theirs. I know of a few people that have stopped coming to this board because of the insults. I have no problem with different opinions, but I do have issues with those who feel the need to try to intimidate others!
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-07-27 12:37 PM (#64488 - in reply to #64487)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by hav2ride on 2007-07-27 12:19 PM

Dave, you are totally right! But it's not only grammar and spelling issues that are attacked. Some posters feel the need to insult anyone with an different opinion than theirs. I know of a few people that have stopped coming to this board because of the insults. I have no problem with different opinions, but I do have issues with those who feel the need to try to intimidate others!

We love experts . . . with class.  Everyone makes this board possible and everyone is needed to "keep the streets" clean in your community.

That's why there is a "Report to Moderator" button on EVERY post.  Use it when you think something is not right.  We treat bullies with tact too.  Then we will eliminate them if they continue.

By the way, I have been watching closer this past month.  Let me know how it's going.  We really appreciate everyone's input.  There's too few places to go for good advice and we don't want to jeopardize this forum.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-07-27 1:03 PM (#64490 - in reply to #64486)

Expert

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2007-07-27 12:17 PM

Implying that is it a "woman" thing and that men can't be rude,inconsiderate,ect.

I wasn't implying, that would be rude and inconsiderate.

Edited by HWBar 2007-07-27 1:05 PM
Rik
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-28 10:02 AM (#64527 - in reply to #64423)

Regular

Playing Devil’s Advocate here, I think it’s just as offensive to post a message that has numerous spelling and grammar mistakes. It makes the message difficult to read through. If someone is posting a message seeking help, the least they should do is proof read their message, and if necessary, compose it in a word processor prior to uploading it. Courtesy goes both ways. And BTW, there have been much worse offenders.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-07-28 10:23 AM (#64528 - in reply to #64527)

Expert

I don't  know her circumstances,but,some people had to quit school in other times and go to work.Some people like my former husband was pulled from his school due to divorce,and put in a large public school teaching an entirely different reading method/materials and was lost in the crowd,and did not get the attention he needed to learn to spell properly and use correct grammar.

Some like my husband now,were in a sub standard school with too many students and not enough teachers  committed to seeing the students each learned what they needed,and passed them anyway,and as adults,they had  to go to work, and never learned to spell some words correctly.

I was brought up to never make fun of anybody's language,word use,spelling,ect.To do so shows that you believe yourself to be superior to that person.Not to mention it is just plain mean to embarass somebody in public or on a public forum such as this by poking fun of their spelling.

What is this,the "spelling police" or something? She just asked an honest well meaning and well mannered question about a trailer purchase.She didn't ask for ANYBODY'S critique on her spelling.

I've always been for the underdog and I think it is crummy behavior,no matter how you cut it,"Rik" or anybody else on here who thinks it's OK to humiliate somebody because of their lack of spelling ability,reading ability,knowledge about a trailer or whatever.

I'm going to go over to another forum where people know how to treat others that make a post asking an innocent question,not in the business of blasting them with hateful remarks and insults.BTW,I looked my post over carefully to be sure it met with everybody's criteria of spelling but I'm not so worried about how it happens to sit with you.

So,right back at ya,dude.(Slang.)

Rik
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-28 12:09 PM (#64531 - in reply to #64528)

Regular

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2007-07-28 10:23 AM

I don't know her circumstances,but,some people had to quit school in other times and go to work.Some people like my former husband was pulled from his school due to divorce,and put in a large public school teaching an entirely different reading method/materials and was lost in the crowd,and did not get the attention he needed to learn to spell properly and use correct grammar.

Thank you. You made my case for me. If ANY person has gone through trying times and didn't receive an adequate education, it is just this person that should be proof reading their posts with greater scrutiny and/or using a word processor.

We all misspell a word every now and then and I've, on occasion, misused there/their/they're, but I think it's a greater issue you're talking about now. We've moved past critiquing someone's posting etiquette and onto societal issues.

Note to the OP: This has moved way past you at this point, so please take no personal offense at anything said. Sorry for the hijack. I'm done.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-07-28 6:49 PM (#64535 - in reply to #64423)

Expert

A trailer that can safely be pulled by the vehicle you have, and suits you and your livestock's needs is the best trailer in a way.  After that, the construction and features can run your purchase price as high as you want to go.  What area are you from, in general, there may be nice people on here that can direct you to a dealer of their favorite brand, close to where you live.  There is no substitute for research, which of course, you have begun, by asking questions.
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-07-29 10:02 AM (#64562 - in reply to #64535)

Elite Veteran

Please do not criticize people's grammer or spelling.  Not everyone has the same gifts for communication and this is a horse trailer site.

People who use this board to point out other people's communicative deficiencies will have their message or profile removed. 

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-07-29 10:24 AM (#64563 - in reply to #64423)

Elite Veteran

It's clear the post was understood despite spelling errors. Barrelracer wanted opinions on trailers not spelling. Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this thread based on horse trailers??????

Barrelracer.....I'm currently looking for a trailer as well and it's a little frustrating. Take a note pad and document the specs/cost on different brands that interest you. You'll narrow it down. Good luck.
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-07-29 12:02 PM (#64568 - in reply to #64423)

Veteran

thanks dave... your last imput was the correct way to handle this... i dont think this is the place for checking spelling.. but its just like theres always someone that has to stir up problems everywhere you go to spoil it for everyone else... happy trails
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-07-29 1:44 PM (#64575 - in reply to #64423)

Expert

Hope the barrelracer gets some help if needed and gets the trailer of a lifetime, anyhow.....
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-07-29 3:39 PM (#64589 - in reply to #64423)

Expert

Originally written by Barrelracer2010 on 2007-07-25 12:45 AM

I barrel race, and we are starting to head out of state more and I want something bigger than what I have. I want somehting with a slide out and prices from 50,000 to around 80,000 I looked at so many trailors already they all look nice but which has the nicest quality? I have an older exciss and the shower broke off! In 2 spots, now that isnt to good of quality. No ofense... Just want to get some opinions...

Well one thing you want identified is who is providing the warranty for the slide portion of your trailer...Based on previous threads...some living quarters are not warrantied by the trailer manufacturer, but the subcontractor that does the living area...so one would wonder if there might not be finger pointing between the manufacturer and the subcontractor if there were to be a problem in the slide area...

And whoever says they are responsible...GET IT IN WRITING......because all verbal promises are as good as the paper they were written on...

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)