'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Purchasing a Trailer

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-07-16 1:25 PM
27 replies, 7865 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-07-10 7:13 AM (#63556)
Subject: Purchasing a Trailer

Elite Veteran

I've been looking at horse trailers with living quarters for well over a year now. I'm having trouble deciding on what brand is built the best for the money. I really like the Cimmarron's, 4-Star's but I'm attracted to the Logan Ultra's as well. This will be my first and last trailer of this type so it has to LAST. Can anyone offer me some advice/experience with this? It's too much money to be putting out and saying, "OOPS!"  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-07-10 7:29 AM (#63558 - in reply to #63556)
Subject: RE: Purchasing a Trailer

Elite Veteran

how much camping do you do now?  Expect to do once you get this trailer? 

What features do these trailers have?  I've been horse camping since '95 and also did some as a youth, but it was real basic.  I have found that I like the luxurious of a LQ and while I don't have an ultra LQ, I have the necessities - propane fridge, hot water heater, & cooktop, shower, dinnette, storage cabinets, generator, AC, awning, screen door, etc. 

Get one that has all of the above or a couch instead of the dinnette.  But be sure to get one that has propane or you will be ungrading later.  GEt a trailer that is well made (4-Star is excellent).  I'm not familiar with Cimmeron and does Logan make all aluminum? 

Get a trailer that is the right size - some people want a huge LQ, but that will take a bigger truck, more gas/diesel, harder to manuver, etc.  I'm on my 3rd trailer and feel that I will have this one for a long time - good luck in your search.

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-07-10 9:13 AM (#63567 - in reply to #63556)

Elite Veteran

I used to own a 31 foot motorhome. I'm not going back to another one. I've been camping for about a decade. It's so frustrating.......

Edited by Gone 2007-07-10 9:14 AM
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-10 12:59 PM (#63587 - in reply to #63567)

Expert

Originally written by Gone on 2007-07-10 10:13 AM

I used to own a 31 foot motorhome. I'm not going back to another one. I've been camping for about a decade. It's so frustrating.......

What do you mean by not going back to a 31 foot motorhome? 

4 star is a good brand. Have you considered having a trailer built for what you want?  If so, consider what it is you want out of the trailer.  I can suggest a dealer that several of my friends have used and are VERY pleased with the conversions.

For me, camping means eating food that was prepared over a camp fire - or perhaps a camp stove. so having a "full kitchen" in a LQ would not be necessary. Neither do I want TV, Radio, or Microwave - but other folks want that kind of thing. Just be sure to have strong batteries.

Since camping usually means no electric hookup nor water, keep that in mind also - you'll want to be sure to have adequate propane and adequate water storage.

Keep in mind too, that many equestrian camp grounds do not allow generators to run after a certain time of night. If you decide to get one, research them thoroughly. There are some SUPER quiet ones and I recently was at South Branch (along the shore-to-shore) and was amazed at how quiet one of the generators was (I didn't see what brand).

The bigger the trailer, the bigger the wheels. That means the rig will be higher off the ground. You also have to watch the clearance, underneath, of any tanks or hoses - because getting to many campgrounds means driving over uneven ground, or 2 track roads which are higher in the center - and could catch on anything underneath. If the trailer gets too high (17" wheels or more), then it's too high for a horse to step in and back out of and you'll want a ramp - which adds weight and adds to the amount of room you'll need behind your rig when parking.

I also don't want a trailer so tall that I have to worry about every branch and tree backing into a camp spot. Personally, I don't want a trailer that has wheel wells inside the horse area. I think it's very stupid to have a horse trying to stand up with a huge lump at their hind feet.

Logan has been around many years. so has 4star. you might also take a look at Adam trailers - SW Michigan area. I have an unfinished Titan GN w/4' short wall - it is galvanized steel - it was what I could afford.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-07-10 1:13 PM (#63589 - in reply to #63587)

Expert

Amen to watching overhead with a taller trailer,altho we traded for a taller trailer because we couldn't sit up in the GN bed of our other LQ.

My husband couldn't see on that side,and I wasn't watching too good either.He scratched the skylight in the shower under a pine tree limb this weekend.

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-07-10 3:53 PM (#63599 - in reply to #63556)

Elite Veteran

I mean that I don't want to purchase another motorhome. It wasn't always pleasant pulling an eighteen foot trailer behind it and trying to get into camp without having "issues." I want a gooseneck this time.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-07-10 9:31 PM (#63625 - in reply to #63556)

We have a Merhow and a Kiefer (don't ask why).  For the 14 foot lq, the Kiefer is wonderful in the 8.5 wide.  If you don't want to go that wide, the Merhow in a 7'6" tall 7' wide with a slide out is very very nice.  I would buy another Merhow in a heart beat.
Ms Sharon Kay
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-07-11 1:27 PM (#63670 - in reply to #63556)

Have you considered SilverLite? Spacious overhead room in the LQ with the unique raised roof, you won't be cluastrophobic in one of these! They build w/high quality constuction as do Cimmarron & 4Star, plus they back it up w/ a ten year warranty. Everyone has given you great things to think about, it's a huge decision! One more important ingredient is the manufacturer and how they stand behind you and their product. I personally know that SilverLite is outstanding! People have written about that here too. We also represent Merhow who is known for a very low % of warranty issue and has been producing trailers for over 50 years. I wish you luck in your search and of course if there are any questions we can help you with we'll be glad too! info@mwtrailersales.com is our email. You made a great first move by asking for input here on the forum, lots of informed folks drop in!

Sharon

Midwest Trailer Sales

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-07-11 1:33 PM (#63673 - in reply to #63625)

Expert

I seriously think that if I ever get another LQ,it will be a Merhow.There are no local dealers around us,I think the closest is in Alabama,or GA.I have never heard anything negative about Merhow.
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-12 10:47 AM (#63761 - in reply to #63556)

Veteran

4 star is a good trailer, but pricey you might want to look into a kiefer built or a Cherokee. The kiefers are very nice trailers for quite a bit less money and offer the best warranty (3 years hitch to bumper that covers everything from the LQ to the brakes) and the Cherokee is real similar to a 4 star, but once again is a little less expensive. Those are the two brands that I would look into.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-07-12 11:52 AM (#63771 - in reply to #63556)

Expert

One thing to consider is the size,style, power of the truck you wish to drive, making sure to have enough truck to handily pull and control your new trailer of your dreams!  Good luck in your search!
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-07-13 7:57 AM (#63820 - in reply to #63556)

Elite Veteran

Any opinions on this trailer would be greatly appreciated. I'd be pulling it with a non dually one ton Duramax.

http://www.horsetrailersgalore.com/detail.asp?id=3659

Edited by Gone 2007-07-13 11:37 AM
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-07-13 9:41 AM (#63828 - in reply to #63556)

Veteran

It's sounds nice, however, you may want to get an exact weight on that wagon, then figure in horses and gear.  You'll be surprised at the overall weight, and may not be too happy with it on the hook of a SRW pick-up.  Just my opinion FWIW.  Talk to y'all later...
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-07-13 9:42 AM (#63830 - in reply to #63820)

Expert

Don't know about the pulling,but,for the money,it is a beauty!

WIsh we'd seen it first!

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-07-13 10:05 AM (#63835 - in reply to #63556)

Gone

You will not like pulling that trailer with single rear wheels on a one ton.  The duals provide stability that you need with a trailer that size.  Just my op.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-07-13 11:07 AM (#63841 - in reply to #63835)

Expert

Rose I agree,having tried it once w/25' Platinum LQ.I did not like the tail wagging the dog feeling.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-07-13 11:48 AM (#63851 - in reply to #63556)

Elite Veteran

I'll second the DRW vs SRW.  I picked up my LQ trailer 6 hours away with my SRW diesel F350, drove over a mountain pass and on freeway to get it home.  While it had plenty of power, I sure knew it was back there in corners and such.  I sold that truck and got a DRW diesel F350, other than the SRW vs DRW the only difference in the trucks was the SRW was a shortbed and the DRW is a regular bed.  Its like night and day.  While both trucks are rated to tow/haul pretty much the same weight, the DRW is just more stable and secure feeling.  I was skeptical, but a first hand comparison with the same trailer on both trucks proved the DRW a much better choice as a towing vehicle. 
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-07-13 11:50 AM (#63852 - in reply to #63556)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the input. It's very much appreciated........It does make alot of sense. I'll have to do some thinkin' on this one.
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2007-07-13 11:57 AM (#63855 - in reply to #63841)

Extreme Veteran

Don't know if a pickup (DRW or SRW) will be rated for the weight your looking at here. Probably have to step up to a Freightliner or something simular.

Sure looks nice, and not a bad price either.

Your 1st post mentioned you were considering a Cimmaron. I have a 04 Norstar. LOVE it. 

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-13 1:41 PM (#63859 - in reply to #63556)

Expert

WOW... 37' of trailer?  That IS a beautiful rig!!. 2 tack areas? one at the back accessible from the driver-side and another on the passenger side? that's pretty nice. If you're only hauling 2 or 3 horses, the other tack room will be great for camp chairs and hay, etc.

I also like how the jack wall is set up to hide the "utilities & hardware"... but what does that do for clearance between the coupler and your dropped tailgate? (Hence, the benefit of a flatbed / Freightliner tow vehicle).

I agree with the others about the amount of weight with a 1 ton-SRW. This looks like way too much trailer for a 1 ton - but sometimes looks are deceiving. I'm also concerned because the description says, "2-7k torsion axles"....  I think I read a thread on here awhile back about someone having trouble with a trailer that, when loaded with the horses and food, etc., exceeded the specs of the axles and/or wheels.  I may be misinterpeting something - but what I'm reading is 14,000 pound MAX on the axles...  that might be pretty close to loaded weight. 

The description claims there are full-length running boards, but I don't see them on this trailer. When you get this big, you need to be super tall or haul a 3 step mounting block to reach the "Ez Reach" releases for head / butt windows.  Or... at least have running boards to reach everything.

And, what's the clearance under the rig? I think I see pipes/drains along the driver-side.  How tall is the 'step-up' for the horses? Is it too high for a horse to back out of the trailer?

Boy - it sure is pretty though.  This total length is pretty close to your 31' motor home with 18' trailer, ???right?

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-13 1:50 PM (#63860 - in reply to #63556)

Expert

Oh My gosh ...  Gone, there's one more thing I just remembered and it may not apply to you at all - especially if you've driven the 31' with 18' trailer...

THere was a couple in Virginia I think it was, that bought their dream trailer and truck. They lived on a dirt/gravel road off a main road.  Well... to make the long story short, their rig was TOO long to get in and out of their driveway because of ditches/ culverts, etc.

I'm almost in a similar situation as the road I live on is cut into the hill, so there's no shoulder or ditch... luckily though, my driveway is level with my front yard and I can take "cuts" across that - watching of course for the 8' diameter oak tree. My trailer is only 18' on the floor - with the extended cab & 6.5' box.

dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-13 2:46 PM (#63864 - in reply to #63556)

Veteran

You've got plenty of truck to pull the trailer as far as motor and suspension. Where you will have a problem is not having the extra stability you get from the DRW's. So your truck will pull the trailer, but you will need to be carefull in curves and stuff. That trailer is 38' neck and all and is probably close to 30' on the floor it's a big trailer but not too big for a 3500. The stablility is going to be an issue no matter how big of a LQ you get if it's 8' wide so that's also something to think about. Bottom line you would be better off with DRW but if you had to you could pull it with your truck you would just need to use some caution in certain situations.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-07-13 8:11 PM (#63870 - in reply to #63860)

Expert

Originally written by gabz on 2007-07-13 1:50 PM

Oh My gosh ...  Gone, there's one more thing I just remembered and it may not apply to you at all - especially if you've driven the 31' with 18' trailer...

THere was a couple in Virginia I think it was, that bought their dream trailer and truck. They lived on a dirt/gravel road off a main road.  Well... to make the long story short, their rig was TOO long to get in and out of their driveway because of ditches/ culverts, etc.

I'm almost in a similar situation as the road I live on is cut into the hill, so there's no shoulder or ditch... luckily though, my driveway is level with my front yard and I can take "cuts" across that - watching of course for the 8' diameter oak tree. My trailer is only 18' on the floor - with the extended cab & 6.5' box.

You're darned right!!! Same thing has happened to us!

We had to extend our culvert and driveway at the tune of about $1200 for pipe and chat.We found that we couldn't go out the shortest way because of the way the highway banks,when we came out of our gravel road,it went uphill,then we had to swing way out and down,then when the truck was coming back up on the highway bank,the back of the tailgate was hit by the GN and dented the corner.Also,too dangerous being in a curve on a hill.So when we would try to come back in,the jackstands would hit the gravel when we would turn off.So now we have to go all the way out a different way and sometimes double back on the highway,and we can barely get the darn thing out of the driveway going THAT direction for the shorter end of culvert and the mailbox!!!

It never ends.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-07-13 8:14 PM
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-14 3:28 PM (#63892 - in reply to #63820)

Extreme Veteran

Wow, nice trailer.  Now, I may be wrong, as I have been know to be wrong before, but it says the length is 37 ft....Are they including the nose?  I ask because looking at the trailer, it does not look like 37ft on the floor which would really make it about a 30 foot trailer. This could be pulled by a 1-ton but I agree about the axles.  When you add all of that nice LQ you add weight.  Have the dealer weigh the trailer before you decide to buy it. Then you will know if it can handle your horses and gear.

FWIW- Tammy

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-07-15 11:15 PM (#63929 - in reply to #63556)

Veteran

The trailer is beautiful but a 14' awning seems small.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)