'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tying a Horse in a trailer

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-09 12:30 AM
32 replies, 8884 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-01 12:16 AM (#58200)
Subject: Tying a Horse in a trailer

Expert

This thread is a response to the Exiss thread.  First, I always tie.  I had to get a dead horse out of a trailer.  He hung himself on the divider partition.  Would not have happened if he was tied.  By tying, it keeps the horses from getting into trouble... Either himself or his neighbor.

My trailer (Sundowner) has the tie rings placed high like the Exiss.  My thinking is if the trailer tie is long enough to let him put his head chest level, it's too long.  It'll let him swing his head up and back in a rear.  His head will impact the trailer roof in about the middle of the trailer.  But if you keep the trailer tie short the horse can't put his head down to clear his nasal passages.

My solution was to attach the trailer tie to the halter side ring at his face and shorten it.  It lets the horse lower his head to his chest but keeps him from getting enough swing to rear up.  Also, I attach the panic end to the trailer and the hook snap to the halter.  My reasoning is if he was having a hissy fit, it's darn hard to reach toward a moving horse.  And very dangerous to me!  With the panic snap on the trailer one only has to reach in the window and release the snap.  Plus, then there's a short lead line attached to the horse.

How  do you tie?  Any downside to my tie solution?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horse nugget
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-04-01 5:12 AM (#58210 - in reply to #58200)
Subject: RE: Tying a Horse in a trailer

Howdy!

I hauled for 2 different companies and they both tied the same as you have said. I do the same in my trailer and yes it is important to keep the quick release end away from the horse and attached to the trailer.

Happy Trails

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-04-01 5:49 AM (#58212 - in reply to #58200)

Expert

I understand every point you have Hoss, I don't tie the two horses that I haul all the time. Call me lazy, or whatever. I own two rope horses and they are both frequent haulers I open the rear door and "Cash" just walks in, I follow him and shut the divider behind him. The I can unhook "King" from the side of the trailer and he will walk around back and get in the trailer. He has done this many times with folks standing around, I go back and put the but bar up and shut the door. Off we go. When I get where we are going I open th rear door, drop the butt bar and "King" will stand there until someone tugs on his tail. Then he quietly gets out.

All that being said, If I was hauling "ANY HORSE" that was unknown to me , he would be tied, and I also when I tie, use the side ring on the halter.

You can start shooting now.

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-04-01 7:00 AM (#58214 - in reply to #58200)

Extreme Veteran

depends on the horse.  You'll probably get as many opinions on this one as if you had asked a Ford vs. Chevy question.

My older retired endurance horse almost never gets tied in the trailer and has done fine being hauled all over the countryside that way.  I do tie the 2 young ones  in the slant stalls but if we are going any distance if I have 1 horse in the trailer will put the partitions aside and let them go loose so it's like a small box stall. 

minebray
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-01 7:30 AM (#58216 - in reply to #58200)

I only tie horses that I do not know and have never hauled before.  When I do tie it is to the side ring of the halter with the quick release attached to the trailer.   I have gone cross country about 5 or 6 times and IMO the horses travelled better and arrived more relaxed once I stopped tying. IMO a horse can get into trouble when it wants too, tied or not!!!!  
marym
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-04-01 5:45 PM (#58244 - in reply to #58200)

I tie my horses just long enough that if they fall down they dont hang. I all so dont want them to try to turn around in a tight spot. I have had them get stuck trying to turn around and it is hard to get a divider or door opened with all the presure of a horse pushing against it..MaryM
Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-04-01 6:42 PM (#58245 - in reply to #58200)

Regular

With thirty years of hauling horses, here is my personal view on tying. We always tie, whether they are in the stock trailer and tied with a lead rope (and a quick release knot), or in the horse trailer and tied with trailer tie with a quick release snap. We NEVER leave a horse loose to wander around in the trailer. A good way to let your horse get hurt. Besides, a horse moving around when you are driving on a winding road, is waiting for an accident to happen when he unbalances your trailer on you!
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-04-01 8:32 PM (#58253 - in reply to #58200)

I tie & use a cotton lead rope tied w/ a quick release knot, and I carry a knife.  The clip is attached to the side of the halter either at the nose or up by the crown piece.  Size of horse determines which space I clip.
Philippa
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-04-01 9:56 PM (#58260 - in reply to #58200)

My tie rings are placed high and I am using a 30" trailer tie with shock absorber and panic snap on one side attached to the trailer tie ring. The bolt snap is attached to the bottom of the halter, but I doubt my horses can put the head far enough down to clear out the nasal passages. At every stop I take the tie off so they can put their head down. Using the side ring of the halter sounds like a good idea I have to try. I also use head bumpers when I haul my horses, if they ever rear they have some protection.
How long is the tie you are using?
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-01 11:16 PM (#58263 - in reply to #58200)

Extreme Veteran

I also use the 30" quick release ties.  I snap them to the side ring of the halter also with the quick release on the trailer ring and I always tie.
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-04-01 11:36 PM (#58266 - in reply to #58200)

Extreme Veteran

If I'm going to tye a horse up the only type of halter I'll use is a knotted rope halter. I'v seen to many accidents from the rings breaking or the nylon holes ripping out when a horse goes to pulling on it. So when the halter breaks wouldn't matter if he is tyed or not. Same way with snaps, except they become weapons when flying thur the air. And as someone mentioned a good sharp knife is always a nice tool to carry. Imo I think a horse is less likely to throw a fit untyed 

Edited by hconley 2007-04-01 11:49 PM
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-01 11:45 PM (#58268 - in reply to #58266)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by hconley on 2007-04-01 3:36 AM

If I'm going to tye a horse up the only type of halter I'll use is a knotted rope halter. I'v seen to many accidents from the rings breaking or the nylon holes ripping out when a horse goes to pulling on it. So when the halter breaks wouldn't matter if he is tyed or not. Same way with snaps, except they become weapons when flying thur the air. And as someone mentioned a good sharp knife is always a nice tool to carry.

I use a knotted rope halter for everything but trailering. Never thought about using it in the trailer. Hmmm. I'll have to think about that one.  How long do you tie and how long is your lead for trailering?

Edited by Spooler 2007-04-01 11:47 PM
Janelle12
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 11:22 AM (#58289 - in reply to #58200)

for future reference, how do you subscribe to a thread without replying?

I can see pros and cons to either way. One argument against tying is, if the horse goes down, and he's tied, isn't it less likely he'll be able to get his head down low enough to get back up again?

On the rope halter use, do you just tie at the 'chin loop' or would you snap/tie on the side of the halter (as some people do with 'normal' halters)?
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-04-03 5:03 AM (#58368 - in reply to #58200)

Extreme Veteran

I use one piece rope halters for everything.. don't  even own another kind. if I do tie a horse in the trailer will loop the lead over their neck and use trailer ties w/ quick release snaps at both ends.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-03 8:45 AM (#58379 - in reply to #58200)

Expert

I tie to prevent them from trying to turn around.
I do NOT tie when the trailer is configured as box stall(s).
I use ONLY "Velcro" breakaway trailer ties AND halters with at least a leather brow band - no all nylon halters.
brightemiller
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-19 6:41 PM (#59638 - in reply to #58200)

hey guys.. i want to share a neat trick i learned from a gal in columbus, ga. when tying either in a trailer or to a trailer or actually anytime there is not a panic-snap used, first tie little loops of hay string. then tie your lead rope thru the haystring loops. that way your pocket knife only has to cut a little haystring if there is an emergency. i had a silly arab pull back at a sandy campsite when he was tied to the trailer. he lost his front footing and was hanging there choking. one quick slash to the haysting and his silly self was loose. if i had to saw thru one of those huge cotton or nylon lead ropes with my knife, he would have suffocated. haystring loops are strong when they need to be but easy to cut when you want them loose.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-19 7:01 PM (#59639 - in reply to #59638)

Expert

Originally written by brightemiller on 2007-04-19 6:41 PM

hey guys.. i want to share a neat trick i learned from a gal in columbus, ga. when tying either in a trailer or to a trailer or actually anytime there is not a panic-snap used, first tie little loops of hay string. then tie your lead rope thru the haystring loops. that way your pocket knife only has to cut a little haystring if there is an emergency. i had a silly arab pull back at a sandy campsite when he was tied to the trailer. he lost his front footing and was hanging there choking. one quick slash to the haysting and his silly self was loose. if i had to saw thru one of those huge cotton or nylon lead ropes with my knife, he would have suffocated. haystring loops are strong when they need to be but easy to cut when you want them loose.

Velcro cross ties or trailer ties do the same thing and are more predictable. There's some TOUGH baling twine around, it isn't "twine" as we knew it, but some sort of polypro/nylon.

If you want something REALLY predictable use cable ties.
They're spec'd to break at a safe load, they're handy to have on the truck or trailer anyway and they won't rot.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-04-19 7:25 PM (#59641 - in reply to #59638)

Expert

Originally written by brightemiller on 2007-04-19 7:41 PM

i agree with reg about the haystring, some is alot stronger than others.  the velco release trailer tie work pretty good for me also.  as for sawing through nylon or cotton lead ropes.........get a better knife, you or someone elses welfare may depend on it.

Edited by chadsalt 2007-04-19 7:30 PM
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-05-01 2:22 PM (#60256 - in reply to #58200)

Veteran

"Cable ties" - are these the little plastic doo-hickeys that my husband calls "Tie Wraps?" (he's an electrician)

I like the idea of something that will break at a certain pressure. I need to buy new ties. Or do I? should I get the bungie kind, or the nylon kind? Or do I need special ties at all? Especially if I am going to do the baling twine thing or the cable tie thing? Can I just use an old cotton lead?

I was just reviewing an old thread about selling gadgets that you really don't need. Do I NEED "trailer ties"?

minebray
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-05-02 8:50 AM (#60295 - in reply to #58260)

Originally written by Philippa on 2007-04-01 10:56 PM

My tie rings are placed high and I am using a 30" trailer tie with shock absorber and panic snap on one side attached to the trailer tie ring. 

Please be careful when using those shock absorbing ties.  They can cause a pretty serious injury to a horses face if they break.  Have you ever had a bungee cord break and snap back at you, it is the same thing.  I do have personal experience with this luckily the horse was not hit in the eye but had a pretty good whelp right below it.  Not sure why it broke, perhaps age, fatigue, unseen damage but it did.

Sheree
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-05-02 11:51 PM (#60339 - in reply to #58200)

hi, if everyone can stand one more entry... I have half draft mares that weigh 1500lbs or better. One is a panic puller. If she gets scared, an explosion ensues. She can shred halters and break snaps easily--not to mention that much horse going nova is very dangerous. To avoid this in the trailer and elsewhere, I have started using the Blocker Tie Ring. What a huge improvement!  She starts to pull and when she feels the give, she settles back down. It will give slack if she were to fall in the trailer, but has enough hold to keep her from trying to turn her head backward in the trailer. Bungee type restraints are too breakable fo her and could blind her snapping back--heard from my vet of horses this has happend to. Anyway, hope this idea is helpful :0)

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-05-03 12:13 AM (#60340 - in reply to #60295)

Extreme Veteran

I had a friend that used bungy type trailer ties. Her steady old horse thought it was time to back out of the trailer, and not feeling the resistance of a non-stretchable tie, he kept backing out until it was stretched to the breaking point. It broke while she was trying to release the panic snap, and hit her in the hand. She had to have 3 surgeries to repair all the broken bones and nerve damage. Yep, that's all I had to see to realize I would never use a bungy tie with my horse.
FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-03 5:07 PM (#60375 - in reply to #60339)

Regular

Hi, Sheree! I also am a fan of the Blocker Tie Ring and it seems to me it would be a good tool for hauling. But since I don't have a trailer yet, dumb question: how did you install the Blocker Tie Ring in your trailer? I think I might like to have these both in and out if they could be installed somehow without harming the trailer.

Edited by FrancaV 2007-05-03 5:08 PM
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-05-03 5:48 PM (#60378 - in reply to #60375)

Veteran

We use the pin thru the loop on the Tie Blocker rings (comes w/them).  I was concerned about someone "helping themselves" to the ones on the outside of the trailer, so we got padlocks & put them thru - now they are safe from theives, but we can remove them if we choose.
JimA
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-05-03 6:38 PM (#60379 - in reply to #58200)

I rarely tie a horse in a trailer. When I do tie anywhere I expect at least the head to be there when I return.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)