'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tough Time to be Chrysler Corp.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-28 4:23 PM
28 replies, 7261 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-21 11:52 AM (#55983)
Subject: Tough Time to be Chrysler Corp.

Veteran

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119644

This is almost unbelieveable.  Daimler wants to get ride of the Chrysler Corp.  I've read several stories about it on Yahoo and Edmunds - I pasted the link to the Edmunds article.  I simply can't imagine Chrysler being owned by Hyundai or some other foreign manufacturer - but it's beginning to look as if something like that will happen.  I guess 9 years ago that I couldn't imagine Chrysler being owned by a German company either... Personally I'd like to see the employees do what happened at Harley-Davidson years ago and buy the company themselves.  Nothing would motivate you more than being an owner in the company! 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-02-21 1:23 PM (#55991 - in reply to #55983)
Subject: RE: Tough Time to be Chrysler Corp.

Expert

Last I heard GM was looking to buy them. I'll bet in the next few years that one of the so called big 3 will go belly up, as in out of business. Maybe that will be a wake up call to the other two to tighten up the belts and get competitive. They can't win when they have 2 saleried employees for every 1 the Japanese have. Also having to pay $1,100 PER CAR in retired employee benifits. The Japanese $0. The steel percar is only about $800.

Edited by HWBar 2007-02-21 1:30 PM
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-21 2:19 PM (#55994 - in reply to #55991)

Veteran

From what I've read GM isn't going to move on it due to "too much product overlap".  The problems you listed are a fact,  I think GM is in the middle of a corporate turnaround - Ford worries me though - I don't see them lasting without a merger or a buyout by some other group as well.  It wouldn't surprise me to see just 1 independant US automaker within 3 or 4 years (GM). 

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-02-21 2:52 PM (#55996 - in reply to #55983)

Doesn't seem like that long ago that we, as in taxpayers, bailed them out. From what I read on here all the time I would think those super Sportinchassis's should keep them afloat.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-02-21 3:21 PM (#55998 - in reply to #55996)

Expert

Originally written by Tx. Vaquero on 2007-02-21 2:52 PM

Doesn't seem like that long ago that we, as in taxpayers, bailed them out. From what I read on here all the time I would think those super Sportinchassis's should keep them afloat.

All of you broke Cowboys started buying them GM 4500 and 5500's, Damnler still can't believe a Cowboy is smart enough to figure out you can get 2 of them for the cost of 1 Sportinchassis. It's not like you can't find something to do with the extra cash, like more BEER.

Edited by HWBar 2007-02-21 3:24 PM
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-21 4:06 PM (#56001 - in reply to #55983)

Extreme Veteran

Maybe GM will buy them then come out with a real truck with cummins diesel and allison tranny. Wouldn't that be somethin'.
sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-02-21 4:10 PM (#56003 - in reply to #56001)

Regular

Originally written by Cloud9 on 2007-02-21 4:06 PM

Maybe GM will buy them then come out with a real truck with cummins diesel and allison tranny. Wouldn't that be somethin'.

That's been on my husband's wish list for years!!! 

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-02-21 5:41 PM (#56012 - in reply to #55998)

hey HW Bar- that's what I'm talking about. We're slow, but even we eventually catch on. Speaking of cummins, this new duramax is cranking out almost 500 hp and 1000 ft./lbs. with a little help from the dealer. Bring em' on.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-22 1:13 AM (#56034 - in reply to #55994)

Expert

Originally written by SHMANN on 2007-02-21 2:19 PM

From what I've read GM isn't going to move on it due to "too much product overlap".  The problems you listed are a fact,  I think GM is in the middle of a corporate turnaround - Ford worries me though - I don't see them lasting without a merger or a buyout by some other group as well.  It wouldn't surprise me to see just 1 independent US automaker within 3 or 4 years (GM). 

Doesn't GM already have product overlap?  (I mean their picture is next to this definition.)  I went to the GM dealer last week to get my father-in-law a new alternator.  It took them 4 days to get one in...He took this as a learning lesson and will be buying a Toyota next time.  They've got parts supply problems...last thing they need is more shovels digging in the same hole.

Swartz Trailer Sales
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-02-22 9:13 AM (#56052 - in reply to #55983)

They been sending jobs out of this country for years now and and costing us jobs and yet they want "us" to buy their cars and trucks.Sending work out, all your doing is biting the hand that feeds you

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-22 1:08 PM (#56063 - in reply to #56052)

Veteran

Well, as I said in another thread - it's really confusing when the "Big 3" have a lower domestic parts content in their 1/2 ton models then the Toyota Tundra does.  I don't know, between "Made in Canada" and "Hecho en Mexico", I have a tough time calling them American made... I suppose if you consider North America and Central America as one, then technically they are American made... but not made in the USA.
Truck Broker
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-22 5:22 PM (#56076 - in reply to #56052)

Veteran

Originally written by Swartz Trailer Sales on 2007-02-22 9:13 AM

They been sending jobs out of this country for years now and and costing us jobs and yet they want "us" to buy their cars and trucks.Sending work out, all your doing is biting the hand that feeds you

They haven't been sending the jobs out, the unions are driving them out. That is one reason why these forign manufacturers are doing so well over here. They aren't union and pay about $14 an hour. While the big 3 are paying $20-$40 an hour and benefits that are out of this world. I am a Dodge and GM dealer, and personally I say all of this is nothing but talk, won't happen. Really, I think this may be a bluff on DC's part to maybe scare the UAW into renegotiating, because if they sell off Chrysler, all those Chrysler UAW workers contracts are null and void, and that scares the heck out of them.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-02-22 6:27 PM (#56083 - in reply to #56076)

Truck Broker- You are both a GM and Dodge dealer? Is this for new vehicles or used? I haven't been around much, but I have never heard of this kind of dealership lash up before. Very curious.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-02-22 6:33 PM (#56087 - in reply to #55983)

Expert

Hey, Lone Star Roper we have a dealer in my town that sells new Dodges and Fords on the same lot. Up till about 6 months ago he also owned the Chevrolet dealer across the street. I'm seeing a little more of this going on around here in the middle US.
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-22 6:38 PM (#56089 - in reply to #55983)

Elite Veteran

There is a dramatic difference in labor costs. GM for instance, total cost per hour on vehicles is $60/hr ($30 wages, $30 other employee cost). This includes health ins., pension, work comp etc. Most GM employees retire at 55. There are some 100 plus year olds still drawing pension. Can you imagine paying retirement benefits for 50 years after retirement? So compare $60 for US workers, in Europe GM averages $30/hr car, I think Mexico is $5/hr car, South Africa $2/hr car, China $1/hr and India is $.54/hr for auto manufacture.

This is what's driving the big 3 to go to China. It's becoming their only choice just like the suppliers for Walmart and allot of the hitch companies I talk to. It's either China or get out of business. Allot of changes ahead. I still root for the home team, but I don't think the manufactures of auto's are going to have a choice. Be thankful that we have American jobs for building horse trailers. Even the Brenderup though from Denmark, is assembled in Texas USA. There are some car trailers from Mexico and I would imagine some entry level horse trailers will end up coming from Mexico. I haven't seen union activity at horse trailer factories yet but they are a smaller target than Detroit.

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-02-22 7:30 PM (#56093 - in reply to #55983)

I guess what I was wondering about is the product overlap question. If the dealerships can handle more than one brand and make it work, then the overlap shouldn't be a big problem for the brands to combine. I'm sure it isn't that simple, but it makes me wonder. If we could just get a union for cowboys it would be great, but then the Chinese would start cowboying and we would have to compete with them, and that would sure be a tough deal. Haven't had enough beer yet to think this one through.
halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-02-23 10:13 AM (#56116 - in reply to #56093)

Veteran

(snort, guffaw!)wiping keyboard...........wiping screen.........A few years back I worked with a civil engineer from Beijing... nice little gal, came over here right out of (their equivalent to) high school worked 3 jobs to put herself through university of Kentucky, then drove cross country to the NW.... said of the state she drove through, she liked Wyoming best because "it didn't have people".Anyhow, she was the FIRST person in her family in remembered generations to have even got within spittin' distance of a real live horse... she LOVED our horses. I taught her to ride on my ol' QH stud Pokey, and videotaped it to send back to her mom in China. That venerable lady had the neighbors coming in droves to see her little girl riding a HORSE.Somehow I don't think we will have much trouble from Chinese Cowboys anytime soon. Heck, they don't even have dogs, much.'cept for dinner.......
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-02-23 1:26 PM (#56137 - in reply to #55983)

Expert

There are alot more issues than eatin' a dog ever now and then.

China puts children in labor camps so we can buy what we want at a fair price.

India is on a fast course to teach their children to speak better English, so they can help us fat lazy Americans program our VCR on that "800" number.

Russia is so broke they are selling what's left of their military to Iran so they can kill our boys.

Mexicans are running across our border to clean our houses and cook our fast food, because my little Sally or Billy can't be bothered to do those jobs.

That's enough for now.

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-02-23 6:44 PM (#56179 - in reply to #55983)

Regular

*sigh* kinda stinks with stuff being sent to other countries to be done. Hey its  cheaper for them to make it that way though I guess. My mom and a ton of otherpeople lost their jobs last year due to avondale mills going under.  Reason  they gave the employees was that they just couldn't compete with other textiles being shipped into the states. Go figure   the mills were the primary source of income  for most of the valley there where my mom lives. I foresee some major  money issues within our country soon far beyond what we already have. Sadly raising minimum wage just isn't the answer. Only means  that the cost of living will rise to reflect that.  Sad but true.

Mu hubby wants out of the military when his reenlistement comes up but is iffy about it because he doesn't want the worry of whether ornot he will have a job.  Companies  have to make things cheaper  in order  to make a profit. 

Government should really tax imports out the yazoo to encourage more  in  country manufacturing.  Heck put the  way percentage of  tax they do on smokes and apply iot to the imports. Goodness knows  they tax those out the yazoo. Well between states and  whatnot anyways.

LOL  in 10 yrs they have gone from 1:39  ( and considered high at that time )  to over 5 bucks a pack now.  ANywho  talk to you guys later.

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-02-23 9:10 PM (#56190 - in reply to #55983)

Veteran

Glad I got my Dodge Ram 3500 when I did!!

Whew!

Seriously, I see 2 Dodge half tons for every Ford here in Sumter, SC.  Maybe 5 Fords for 3 Dodges when it comes to diesels.  I bought a Dodge last year because it was $3000 less than a "comparably equipped" Ford that had a smaller extended cab, no nav system, and no supplemental engine braking (I have the "Jake" brake on the Ram and it is very useful.)

Oh well... We'll see what happens.  All the Big 3 are in trouble right now.

Mike

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-24 3:22 PM (#56221 - in reply to #55983)

Veteran

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119720

Here is the latest information...

"In Europe, the Financial Times reported that at least four private-equity groups are holding preliminary talks to buy Chrysler. Reports in Europe say DaimlerChrysler's asking price is 10 billion euros — about U.S.$13 billion.What this means to you: Don't be surprised to see Chrysler wind up in the hands of a major U.S. investment fund. "

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-24 5:23 PM (#56227 - in reply to #55983)

Expert

There are so many benefits to us as consumers to free and open trade that any downsides pale in comparison. Increasing tarfiffs on imports does nothing to encourage american companies to bulid a quality product a a price we are willing to pay. Case in point- the auto industry which had zero competition in the 60- 70's. They cranked out crappy cars. Then the imports came along and low and behold, they bulit a better product at reasonable prices. The auto industry is still paying for its fat and lazy ways. I am glad we have choices in the stuff we buy- I can select what I want and at price I am willing to pay. It keeps our standard of living high and cost of living low. I can buy a new DVD player for 30 bucks thanks to someone in china making them. It would be great if they would bulid them in the USA but then they could cost way more and I probably would have to buy just one rather than several or none at all. Free trade benefits eveyone.

Taxing imports is bad ecomonic policy. Raising the minimun wage is bad ecomonic policy...good PR but it hurts the segment it supposed to help- the lower income levels. Jobs are lost, hours are cut, price are raised to compensate.

The big three are in this mess because they got away with it for years. But basic ecomonics and capitalism is catching up with them. They will either get leaner and respond to consumers demands or they will fold.

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-02-24 5:51 PM (#56229 - in reply to #56227)

Veteran

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

This is why I'm not driving a Ford!  The dealers I spoke to (more than one) wanted 3% over invoice.  Dodge sold me a comparably equipped truck--what I wanted instead of stuff I didn't want--at invoice and several thousand less.

We need this kind of competition... I would still be driving an underpowered 1991 F-350 diesel today if not for having an option to buy a new truck within my price range.

Truck Broker
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 12:50 PM (#56396 - in reply to #56083)

Veteran

Originally written by Tx. Vaquero on 2007-02-22 6:27 PM

Truck Broker- You are both a GM and Dodge dealer? Is this for new vehicles or used? I haven't been around much, but I have never heard of this kind of dealership lash up before. Very curious.

Yep, we have a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep store on one side of our lot and a Chevrolet store on the other side. Works pretty good really. Although, if I had my choice I would get out of the Chevrolet business cause GM is very hard to deal with compared to DC.

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 12:59 PM (#56399 - in reply to #56396)

Veteran

I wouldn't dump Chevy quite yet... below is the latest headlines on the Chrysler sale

"LONDON — DaimlerChrysler could take a minority stake in General Motors if GM elects to acquire the Chrysler Group, according to a report in the U.K. business paper Financial Times.

Word of the potential all-stock transaction filtered out of Europe over the weekend as industry analysts continued to question how to value Chrysler, which is in the process of yet another makeover and downsizing as it struggles to regain profitability"

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)