'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Who likes to trailride--Who likes to show ??

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-05 4:31 PM
29 replies, 6576 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dizzydame
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-02 9:59 AM (#54901)
Subject: Who likes to trailride--Who likes to show ??

I have been to a few horse shows and find them kinda funny. It seems that the riders are mostly showing off with the fancy clothes, the fancy saddles and gear, the forced smiles, the disgusted look when the rider thinks the horse isn't performing perfect, the sly glances at the judge and then frowning when the judge isn't looking. Round and round you go, up down up down, and in the end, all you get is a crappy ribbon. You also end up with a sweaty horse, some disgusted riders who are pissed because they didn't win, they go back to their montrous trailers, change their duds and do it all over again for the chance for another ribbon.

But when you go trail riding, you have a chance to wear your grubby clothes, who cares what the saddle looks like, you have a chance to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors and you calmly walk through the woods, across the river or better yet, in the river, you don;t give a rip who's watching your riding style, you just want to have fun and let your horse experience the joys of being a horse.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 10:37 AM (#54904 - in reply to #54901)
Subject: RE: Who likes to trailride--Who likes to show ??

Veteran

AMEN SISTER!!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-02 10:52 AM (#54907 - in reply to #54901)

Expert

I see it another way- when i trail ride I put up with flies that buzz the horse ears or the riders face, horse tossing their heads, stoping the bugs, jumping from a weird rock or a bunny hopping away. I put up with rude riders who hog the trail,run past your horse, jumping a creek. Then there are the bikers and hikers that could careless if your horse doesn't like bikes, ride down the middle of the trail while your trying to get to the side to give them room. You're on the trail, starts to rain, no where to go but back to camp or continue on.

it takes hours of arena work and conditioning to show a horse to its best advanatge. Horses must be able to focus on you, your subtle leg and seat cues,ignoring the distractions around them. Showing takes alot of solid training and horsemanship. We get to wear pretty clothes,ride on clean and shiny tack. I visit with friends, go out to dinner after the show and sleep in if it rains.

The point is- you like what you do. I like what I do. One isn't better than the other. So live and let live..........

windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 11:05 AM (#54908 - in reply to #54901)

Extreme Veteran

I trail ride only but  I am a fair weather rider. If it's too hot or cold you can forget me..............Show is nice, not for me though.  I enjoy watching.  Those people are very dedicated.   The trail is where my heart is.  I agree with Farmbabe, I too hate all the stuff she mentioned in her post about being on the trails............

Hey to each his own...............

dizzydame
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-02 12:15 PM (#54910 - in reply to #54901)

When I trailride I don;t have any problems with bikers, hikers, I always prepare for bugs, sprays, netting whatever it takes. I have an area that I ride that I know I won't be bothered and I have a very relaxed horse that loves to explore.

The shows I have seen are just too much work, all I see is dust, the horses going round and round no matter what the temps are. I've seen riders who expect their horse to trot and trot despite it being over 90. And you know, even if it rains, the show does go on.  I guess I  just don;t understand the need to show off at those shows, I actually feel bad for the horse.

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 12:28 PM (#54911 - in reply to #54901)

Extreme Veteran

Go to my personal website below to see for yourself what I prefer
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-02-02 1:15 PM (#54913 - in reply to #54901)

Veteran

I do both :)

I enjoy riding and getting my horses well broke.  I compete at ropings mostly now, but I do enjoy going back to showing once in awhile too.  For me it's not about the clothes, it's about riding my horse the best I can when it counts.

But... I enjoy trail riding too, I love being outdoors and there's nothing more relaxing than riding your horse on a beautiful sunny day. :)

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 1:15 PM (#54914 - in reply to #54901)

Veteran

I can see both sides... I enjoy some of the shows, but a good trail ride would generally be my first choice.  The shows that really blow me away are the high level dressage events - wow the horse and rider are so well "trained".  And yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the "fancy duds" - good gosh some of these folks look ridiculous to me, but I guess it's what the level of competition demands.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-02 1:40 PM (#54917 - in reply to #54901)

Expert

My post was in reponse to the OP and the very negative bitch and whine about shows. Showing horses takes alot of time, effort and practice. Its not about just the clothes and the horses aren't "Just going around the circles"..its much more than that and resent the hell of out people who don't know crap about showing starting a thead about how "funny" shows are. If you have shown horses and just don't care for it, thats fine. I have trail rode and i dont' care for it at all. I get bored not doing anything with my horse. But if you haven't shown nor taken the time to learn the why and hows of the sport, lighten up.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-02 1:51 PM (#54918 - in reply to #54901)

Expert

I show but use my show horses, I've even halter broke show calves with my "english" show horses, sometimes they need a mental break and a real job.  To think a show horse only goes around in a well lit manicured arena is very far from true.  The only jumps that aren't made from fallen tree branches are the ones at the shows.  The only ground that is level is the show arena.  While trainig for world I rode in a thicket of trees for the shade, no arena, no plowed dirt, no fencing for my horse to be guided along.  If he didn't listen to my subtle cues he was heading into a tree, no room for errors.

When the cattle need to be brought up, I'd bet on my "english" show horse more than some crazy, ill mannered pasture pony.

The two worlds couldn't be different, they also couldn't be more similar.  You see poorly trained animals in both settings.  Horses that run through bridles can be found on trails or shows.  Horses that are nasty and ill mannered at both.

Dirty or clean, good riders and ones that look like they could fall off, crazys and cautionaries exist in both worlds.

I take pride in my horses and how well they are trained no matter where I take them because I believe that is a main component of having great horsemanship.  Any time your animal is being seen by others it should be clean, groomed and well mannered for they are a reflection of their keepers.

Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 3:25 PM (#54924 - in reply to #54901)

Veteran

I too can see the fun and beauty in both show and trail. My "AMEN SISTER" comment comes from a show that my daughters 4H club hosted. Which means the kids showed and the parents worked their BUTTS OFF. I do enjoy the show just about as much as I do the trail but give me a few weeks to overcome my exhaustion!!
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-02-02 3:48 PM (#54925 - in reply to #54918)

Elite Veteran

I agree with hunt seat. I've done both. Trail riding just doesn't mean you get on your horse and placidly go down the trail. It takes just as much effort to prepare a trail horse as a show horse. Just different methods of discipline. I hate it when people say "Well if it the horse doesn't win at a show, it can be a trail horse". I expect my trail horse to be as disciplined as a show horse no matter what the riding disciple. They should stand to be mounted, move off of leg pressure, whoa immediately with seat and slight rein pressure and of course back and side pass as a bonus. I train my 3 year-old MFTs (use to have QHs and arabs, but went to smoother ride) ground manners, bath, clip and leg aids for movement. Much easier to shift weight to go around a tree than pull the head and get your knees banged because the horse to did not flex. In addition to the ground and saddle training, trail horses need to have nerves of steel... depending on your environment the horse needs to remain calm with springing deer, barking dogs, elk and backpackers. Both Show and Trail riders need to prepare their horses and themselves for fitness.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-02-02 5:51 PM (#54939 - in reply to #54901)

Expert

I have no interest in showing. But I'm glad somebody else does, so all those folks don't end up on my trails.

My horses have whiskers on their face, feathers on their hocks, and even a few bite marks on their sides. Their manes and tails are what ever they grew and their pasture mates didn't chew off or that they didn't rub off. I brush out the dead hair when they are shedding before I put a saddle on, and I hose the sweat off after a ride.

My horses have never had black paint on their hooves, cornstartch on their white pasturns, razor burn on their muzzles or baby oil rubbed on their faces.

But my horses have seen the tops of more mountains, breathed more fresh air, drank the coldest water and eaten  the greenest grass around.

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-02-02 9:09 PM (#54950 - in reply to #54939)

Extreme Veteran

The whole world looks better from the back of a horse whether you ride around in circles or through the woods. Thank God for horses.
dizzydame
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-02 9:28 PM (#54952 - in reply to #54939)
Subject: Oh how I envy your life !!!!

You have got it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-02 9:48 PM (#54955 - in reply to #54901)

Expert

Cornstarch?  Not with all the other products on the market like French White or any spray white product.  I don't want to get messy...now spray black is a-whole-nother beast!

I thought my Solar Nails would die with all the spray black...my manicurist hated me!

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 11:01 PM (#54956 - in reply to #54901)

Veteran

I LOVE riding so Trailride.Trailhorses live longer lives less stress on them.They are out there experiencing fresh air,exercise sunshine,birds singing and all the world.Arena riding is like being locked in a large box stall.JMHO why do all that work why waste so much time?I have shown some but dont see why to keep doing it.I love camping and cookouts and beautiful country views.A trail horse wouldnt freak out in arena but cant take a show horse out in woods for a nice ride,They dont know how to get down a trail.Again JMHO seen too many show horse on trail with no clue or clueless arena riders that they both are lost without the judge to tell them what to do.Sorry JMHO.But honest too.

Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-03 12:01 AM (#54961 - in reply to #54901)

I can’t believe you said you couldn’t take a show horse on the trail. My Dressage horse is a huge lover of the trails. She can do a 4th level test and win the class and turn around and go out on a 2-day camping trip. (We can and we do!) I have known wonderful trail horses that fall apart the minuet they step in the arena. I saw one older gelding dump his rider in the fence when a bird landed on the rail ahead of him. Pleas do not make show horses sound like nervous animals who don't live a full life

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-03 12:22 AM (#54962 - in reply to #54901)

Expert

Trail horses live longer?  Oh, I guess that's because they aren't clones...

Please tell me you never took Biology and I'll forgive your comment.

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-02-03 11:43 AM (#54985 - in reply to #54901)

Veteran

SORRY JMHO or If you couldnt figure it out

Just my humble opinon.....

To me showing is like riding in No challege safe controlled- play pen SORRY.And You really dont ride that much any way.Its mostly prep time etc.Love sports competion YES but some classes so boring.

Trail riders are out in trail RIDING an living a real life experience.No ribbon compares to Sunsets and waterfalls and moutains and sound of birds ever.Again ease up JMHO.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-02-03 2:41 PM (#54990 - in reply to #54956)

Expert

.Again JMHO seen too many show horse on trail with no clue

I've got one of those.  I can finally take her out and ride trails alone or with one of my others with out her thinking that the 20lb jack rabbit that ran across the trail is gonna eat her, but any strange horse and her mind disapears.  

I worked her for months trying to get ready for an organized trail ride and she was doing well until she realized the whole group was going.  Then she wanted to kick the snot out of them.  In the show ring she had no problem with other horses. 

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-03 4:54 PM (#55001 - in reply to #54901)

Expert

Biology, the study of living things...I'm guessing not JMHO.
ddarden
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-02-03 5:38 PM (#55005 - in reply to #54950)

New User

Originally written by iCE CRM on 2007-02-02 9:09 PM

The whole world looks better from the back of a horse whether you ride around in circles or through the woods. Thank God for horses.

My thoughts exactly!
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-02-03 8:32 PM (#55012 - in reply to #54901)

Extreme Veteran

I've tried both. Showing became too damned political. If you didn't have the big name or wasn't under the big name's stable, yeah you could win but it was utterly impossible to do anything at Nationals without those conditions. We have an attic full of ribbons and trophies from Regional level. What did that prove? That we love horses and being broke. Fancy clothes, tack, horses with more makeup than Tammy Faye Bakker. We had fun but might as well been riding on a carousel with our push-button horses. And listening to the bitches bitching because someone who didn't have a big name beat them in a championship class after they had spent all that money with MR BIG to increase their chances of winning. THEN- we attended an endurance ride to see what was going on. WOW- the horses were having fun and so were the riders. And no influence peddling for the judges. Only a vet to deal with and everyone's criteria was exactly the same whether you had a ten thousand dollar horse and saddle or a three hundred dollar horse with a hundred dollar saddle. Can you guess which discipline we decided on?  Yeah, still get some ribbons and trophies while enjoying running up and down hills, ravines, crossing streams, running through the woods on a snowy evening, trying to make it back to camp during a thunderstorm, etc. And the people at endurance rides aren't a bunch of snobs like 90% of the people showing. And this ain't my humble opinion, just my perspective of the show world. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.
Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-02-03 9:53 PM (#55017 - in reply to #54985)

Veteran

Originally written by Paints on 2007-02-03 11:43 AM

SORRY JMHO or If you couldnt figure it out

Just my humble opinon.....

To me showing is like riding in No challege safe controlled- play pen SORRY.And You really dont ride that much any way.Its mostly prep time etc.Love sports competion YES but some classes so boring.

Trail riders are out in trail RIDING an living a real life experience.No ribbon compares to Sunsets and waterfalls and moutains and sound of birds ever.Again ease up JMHO.

I don't understand both Dizzydame and Paints.  If you are so negative and condescending about horse shows and the horses and people then WHY DO YOU GO TO THEM?  It is obvious from your posts that you both attend horse shows. That is pretty hypocritical of you.

Some people enjoy "showing" and much as you enjoy "trail riding", why can't you just accept that there are different strokes for different folks?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)