'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sad news----

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-02 11:51 PM
29 replies, 7552 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dizzydame
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-29 11:38 AM (#54661)
Subject: Sad news----

did you hear that Barbaro was euthanized this morning? How so so sad, and he was such a fighter.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-29 12:26 PM (#54664 - in reply to #54661)
Subject: RE: Sad news----

Expert

I am suprised he lasted this long. As much as I admire the owners for trying to save him, there is a reason horse with fractued legs are put down....the outcome is generally poor.Maybe the vets learned a great deal about these injuries which might help horses down the road.
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-29 3:15 PM (#54680 - in reply to #54661)

Elite Veteran

The sad thing is .. .  He was kept alive for the sperm.  That, to me is sad.  I've had horses for over 40 years.  Young ones and old ones.  I've yet to have a 2 or 3 year old baby break a leg running in the pasture.  This is why I DO NOT like horse racing.  They are pushed too hard, too young.  After watching the great Ruffian break her leg, I've never watched a horse race since.

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-29 6:34 PM (#54690 - in reply to #54661)

Veteran

I did hear - and like you I was very saddened to read it.  I think what the others have said is true - they start too young.  I own a retired racer (Standardbred) - He was retired by 7.  It's amazing to me that anyone pushes these babes so hard.  Fortunately my boy was retired for being too darn slow  - and I couldn't be happier to have him.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-29 11:09 PM (#54710 - in reply to #54690)

Expert

It is sad but think of all the race horses you do not here about before the even get out of training race is just not right
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-29 11:46 PM (#54713 - in reply to #54661)

Expert

TB's must live breed, they should have known he'd never be strong enough to stand with a mare...sometimes people don't make the right decisions when money is involved.
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-01-30 7:54 AM (#54721 - in reply to #54661)

Veteran

This is one case of Horse racing where money was not the motive!!!!!!! The owners, had they put Barbaro to sleep immediatly following his injury could have collected more than $20 million in insurance money. Knowing that he would never race again and doing the math , that even if he could have successful breedings that they would never collect anywhere near the $20 million, they still didnot hesitate to try and save his life. They quoted that "it is not about the money or the fame, it is about our horse and saving his life!!"
I agree that 99% of these racing owners are about the money, it is not the case with Barbaro and I think that is what made his story so popular with the general public.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-01-30 8:47 AM (#54725 - in reply to #54721)

Expert

Originally written by Monsterhorse on 2007-01-30 7:54 AM

This is one case of Horse racing where money was not the motive!!!!!!! The owners, had they put Barbaro to sleep immediatly following his injury could have collected more than $20 million in insurance money. Knowing that he would never race again and doing the math , that even if he could have successful breedings that they would never collect anywhere near the $20 million, they still didnot hesitate to try and save his life. They quoted that "it is not about the money or the fame, it is about our horse and saving his life!!" I agree that 99% of these racing owners are about the money, it is not the case with Barbaro and I think that is what made his story so popular with the general public.

To say they would never have collected $20 million in stud fees is a joke they would have gotten that in 2 years. $100K Stud fee X 100 mares a year = $20 million in 2 years. He would have made the $20 million before he ever had a foal at the track. I guarentee you it was all about the money.

windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-01-30 9:01 AM (#54726 - in reply to #54721)

Extreme Veteran

The news of Barbaro's death sadden me deaply. I have to agree with your post.  These people have plenty of money and I don't think money was the main issue with these owners.  He was probably covered by insurance anyways so maybe they figure let's try and save this colt.   This horse touched the hearts of horse people and non horse people world wide.  I was amazed at the amount of money that was donated to the New Bolton Center on this horses behalf.  So something good did happen from  this traggic accident.  I personally do not agree with the sport of horse racing. IMO no horse should be put under saddle until they are 3 y/o. But in the racing world these poor horses are being thrown away by the time they reach that age.  (very very sad

Barbaro, like all other horses that have past, runs free now.............

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-30 11:43 AM (#54730 - in reply to #54661)

Expert

What if it was about the money? Its their horse and they can do what they wanted....put him down or try and save him? If they could have made a couple million bucks..good for them! Its not wrong to make money on horses. Its not evil! Its life! next time you go to work, do it for free. Next time you plan on selling a hose, give it away and THEN you can pontificate about evil greedy owners....
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-01-30 1:09 PM (#54738 - in reply to #54730)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2007-01-30 11:43 AM

What if it was about the money? Its their horse and they can do what they wanted....put him down or try and save him? If they could have made a couple million bucks..good for them! Its not wrong to make money on horses. Its not evil! Its life! next time you go to work, do it for free. Next time you plan on selling a hose, give it away and THEN you can pontificate about evil greedy owners....

You must have missed my point, I don't care if it was about the money, I was just trying to explain the economics of the horse industry. $20 million for a Derby winning sire is beans.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-30 4:04 PM (#54750 - in reply to #54661)

Expert

They'll still collect on the insurance...

I do agree that it's OK to make money on horses, if not we would be in a world of hurt.  I also believe that making the best medical choices for our animals is part of our duty to them.

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-30 9:23 PM (#54760 - in reply to #54661)

Elite Veteran

Money or no money.  The fact of the matter is . . . a baby horse was worked and run so hard, so fast and so young, that his leg broke out from under him!!  They didn't know if that horse would make them money or not, until he won the Derby.  His poor little bones never got the chance to mature before they ran the snot out of him and "SNAP" his leg shatters??  How often does that happen when not on the track??  Sure there's the holes or logs or slop in the pasture that may make them fall or break a leg.  But on the track?? Come on now.  Too hard, too young.
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-01-31 5:27 AM (#54773 - in reply to #54730)

Extreme Veteran

After reading all the posts thus far, I can't seem to find where any of these posts suggest that it's evil to make money off of horses.  Also, please explain why you think we should go to work for free in comparison to "horse racing and money".  I don't understand that statement.

Any intelligent horse person knows that these horses are put under saddle before they are fully developed and then forced to race at such a young age.  That's a damned true fact, period.  Now you can call that "evil". 

Heres a thought.....maybe they run so hard and fast on the track because they're hoping they can get the hell away from where they were just at.    

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-31 4:11 PM (#54803 - in reply to #54661)

Elite Veteran

Amen
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-02-01 8:07 PM (#54861 - in reply to #54773)

Elite Veteran

" Maybe they run so hard and so fast on the track because they're hoping they can get the hell away from where they just were....

You have obviously never owned a Thoroughbred,Or ridden one at a gallop next to another horse. The race is in their blood. They LOVE to run! Thoroughbreds that have never been race trained possess the will to win, possess an insurmountable amount of courage. Have you ever heard of the true story of Thoroughbred named Moifa? I believe that was his name. He was aboard a ship out in the ocean, the ship wrecked and sank.He swam 100 miles to an island. He was there until fisherman sighted him.Half dead and starved. Someone heard about a horse on this island and thought "No way" this could not be Moifa could it? Sure enough it was! The only survivor of the sunken ship. He went back into race training and became a champion. No this is not the story of "The Black Stallion". Although I do wonder if this is Where Walter Farley (author of The Black Stallion)got his idea for the book?Actually everything in the first book had the same incidents that happened to real live racing TB's though- all compiled in the first book.

I do think that Barbaro's owners truly loved him and truly didn't want this story to end up the tragic "Ruffian" story that we all have heard of. I truly think that they thought, "We have the money- Let's not let him end up like Ruffian or Go for Wand- Or at least try. But, You need to remember- It was not the broken leg that ended up killing him. It was the laminitis that set in the other hooves. So, technology has come farther.

Yes, I do agree that TB's are pushed too hard at too young an age in the racing industry. Now, What can we do about that? Maybe ban the whips that the jockey's use? That way they wouldn't be able to push the horse above and beyond what that horse is capable of doing? Maybe raise the racing age to 3-4years old. Do remember that TB's do mature Physically, much faster than most other breeds. How about no metal shoes? Do they really need it on soft dirt? I would think with all the hard pounding that this has to be shock inhibitive to the leg bones! Just a thought.....

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-01 11:05 PM (#54872 - in reply to #54661)

Expert

I rode a pony once that had racing in her blood, does that count?  Man she'd beat any horse to the barn, with or without her rider and I'm speaking from experience.

If racing is in their blood, whip or no whip they would run themselves to hurt...you said they have a drive to win.

Show horses are also equipped with the drive to win, they know exactly when the "show's on" and when it's over.  I feel you read too much into a single breed and not enough into the entire species.

Bad horses come and go and so do their owners...news at nine.

Edited by huntseat 2007-02-01 11:11 PM
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 5:54 AM (#54880 - in reply to #54861)

Extreme Veteran

Let me clear up your comment about me.  I've owned TB's and have ridden at a dead run too.  So what. 

Yes, they love to "run". I don't think theres an argument there.   What makes you think they love to come back to a "stall", left there until the trainer shows up and then the next great thing is to be put on a track to "run"?................that was my point on "Here's a thought"..............

And your story about Moifa........he had to swim for his survival,,,,good thing he loved to run huh?...............and after that ordeal he then  had the privledge of having owners that put him back on the track,,,,,,,swimming 100 miles is enough racing for a life time for any horse that "loves to race"............Shows what kind of people owned him.  And how wondefull, he became a "Champion". Guess all the survival swimming got him into shape.  Too bad he swam to an island that knew who he was.   Makes my "Just a thought" more credible.........

Give me a break.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-02-02 9:03 AM (#54892 - in reply to #54661)

Expert

No horses, TB's included, are ready for daily training at 2yrs old, some make it, some don't. If you want to compete at the level they and some of the folks on this site want to compete at, that is what has to be done. The Kentucky Derby is for three year olds, So are AQHA Futurities, NRHA Futurities and I'm sure other breeds "Big Shows" are for 3 year olds. The reason is money period. The owners that want to compete at that level don't want to wait 1 extra year, and have another years worth of feed, training bills, ect.. they also don't want to have to wait another year to see if the stud is producing quality colts. The system is flawed and I don't see any fix. I don't show and never have, I don't have anything against the folks that do show. That is what makes them tick, alot of the folks that show, show older horses and have alot of fun with them. The breeders will continue to make the big money shows for three year olds to support the breeding industry. That's fine, it has been proven over and over again that older horses are much better preformers look at the average age of NFR horses(about 18 this year). Thorobreds are forgotten about by that age, unless they make it in the breeding side of the industry.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 9:28 AM (#54898 - in reply to #54892)

Expert

All breeds have a dark side to then. Just look at some of the way they train there show horse. I say all breed need to keep it clean
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 9:33 AM (#54899 - in reply to #54892)

Extreme Veteran

Good point HWBar......................but Thorobreds arent' forgotten by the time they reach 18 years old, it's more like  their  no-where on the planet.............unless some kind soul adopts or rescues them.......or like you stated, end up on the breeding side of the industry................I'd love to know what percentage actually end up being used for breeding after they race.

Thanks

horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 10:36 AM (#54903 - in reply to #54661)

Veteran

Ok I have to put my 2 cents in....I own 2 tb's of the track.One I have owned since she was 4 (now 16) the other I have owned for the last 4years and is 12 now.The mare I had purchased as a 4year old was bred and broke to race.She was to slow.Her grandfather is Secretariat.The other mare raced until she was 6.Can you beleive the mare that didn't race is like the energizer bunny! She will go an go and go.My other mare that did race is lazy as heck! I do not beleive that horses LOVE TO RUN! At least not in that way.Horses are very gentle calm aninmals by nature.They usally run out of fear.Why are both of my tb's scared to DEATH of the whip?Even on the ground if they see me carrying one?The mare that has raced for 6 years will cower in the back of her stall.She is scared of it and it was probally why she was running her darn butt off on the track.She was trying to get away.One other thing....race horses get broke at 15 months of age!They are not even 2 yet!
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 10:50 AM (#54906 - in reply to #54903)

Extreme Veteran

Another good point Horsecrazi,,,,,,,,thanks.........It's good to hear from people that agree that it's most likely race horses are "running" away" from where they've been...............I too do not believe they live for the friggin "RACE'".......that's a load of crap...............they don't know what a "race" is..............."bred for racing"..........yea, OKAY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but if they were given a choice they'd tell the owners to stick it where the sun don't shine.................we'll run when WE choose, not you.................

Edited by windwalker2 2007-02-02 10:53 AM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-02 1:58 PM (#54920 - in reply to #54661)

Expert

Its no different than some horses are very talented at reining and some aren't even if they are bred to do so. Tb are indeed bred to run ( at least those who are into racing. Others breed Tb but not for racing attributes),they are selectively mated to produce a horse capable of running very fast but not all are fast enough to comepte at higher level, or even low levels, sucessfully. When horses are frightened they don't do anything well. Watch the end of a race,the winners ears are usually pricked forward, thats not a sign of a frightened horse. A frightened horse will not perform, just as a frightend horse cowers in the back of a stall.

Based on observations of just two TB, I don't think thats a adequet representation of the breed. I like racing knowing full and well there are is dark side, thats true of any endevor. You just cannot beat,abuse,mistreat and neglect a horse yet expect to make money in the business. since I am not into racing, I'd give the horsemen of sport the benefit of the doubt rather than rushing to judgement.

BTW- there is a study done and printed on Thehose.com- TB started at a younger age developed more bone dentisty and strenght than young colts that were started later. Barabaro was not heavily raced prior to the Derby- he won it after the longest lay off of any derby winner.

Edited by farmbabe 2007-02-02 2:04 PM
horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-02-02 3:50 PM (#54926 - in reply to #54661)

Veteran

My observation is not simply of my 2 tb's.I have been around many OTTB"s and worked with them.I have also been to many race tracks.Yes Tb's are bred for racing as are grey hounds.That still doesn't mean they are not running out of fear.When they are little they do not know that we want to run the heck out of them.It has to be trained into them.How is that done?The horse first gets taught about the leg.How do they do that.With reinforcment from the whip.What would happen if the horse is to stop running?He would get kicked and then whipped!Which then insets the fear!Do you also know that they tube feed these TB's and standeredbreds something called a "milkshake" before the race?They tube it straight to the stomach to pump them up so they will run.Why is this if they will already run.They also do not get any turn out and are feed high protien and alfalfa hay to keep them high as a kite.Why would they need to do this?Have you ever been at a race horse breeding and training facility?The horses that are turned out there are grazing quietly like other breeds of horses.If they loved to run so much why arn't they doing so?I guess this is all a matter of opinion.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)