'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
anyone from ARIZONA here?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-07 1:29 PM
25 replies, 6664 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

WalkerLuv
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-25 9:43 PM (#50633)
Subject: anyone from ARIZONA here?

We're considering a move from Michigan to South/Central Arizona. BIG difference in climate between these 2 states. I'm curious about a lot of things in AZ with regards to the changes for our 2 TWH geldings. Is there actually grazing available? What about hay supply? Boarding? Flies? Poisonous plants/critters? Any advice from Arizona locals is appreciated. Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
shequila16
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-26 8:18 AM (#50643 - in reply to #50633)
Subject: RE: anyone from ARIZONA here?

Regular

Now, why would you want to leave warm and cozy Michigan???  Ha, don't blame you -- we're headed to KY in 4 years!  I can get you the names of a couple good TWH barns in AZ within the next few days.  They even have a pretty big show or 2 there.  My friend had TWHs in Scottsdale: no grazing, hay cubes (fire safety reasons) and metal piping for fencing.  Sand everywhere!
WalkerLuv
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-26 10:06 AM (#50654 - in reply to #50643)

Warm and cozy Michigan my butt... I know about the sand being everywhere in AZ, which won't really be a problem since my horses are on a sandy lot now anyway. I did find several boarding barns in the greater Phoenix area, but I'd love to have any TWH folks' names you have, and especially if they board TWHs. Looks like most places have covered, outdoor type stalls, which is fine too. Some of the more expensive barns have fans and misters to keep things cool. I'm not that worried about the heat as much as I am about the hay availability. Hay cubes, hmmm...? We've never fed it. Do they have to soak the stuff before feeding, like beet pulp? Saw one place down there that feeds oat hay, which is something we don't have up here. It sounds good. Alfalfa and timothy seem to be quite popular too.Any info you can provide me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-10-26 10:30 AM (#50657 - in reply to #50633)

Elite Veteran

Moved from AZ 20 years ago,spent 26 years there.DON'T miss it.Everything bites,pokes,sticks,and is a threat.

I lived all over the state when I worked for the Highway Dept.Some is good some is not.Northern Az was nice.the population has polluted most of the places I used to ride and hunt.

Last time I was there I hardly recognizes the place.Freeways all over.Scotsdale was all desert,Paradise valley was a dream.There was miles between Apache Junction and Phoenix.Now just signs separate them.

120 in the shade,clorox for water drive for miles to get away...found more....no gettin away..Have fun!

Edited by SLICKRNSNOT 2006-10-26 10:34 AM
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-10-26 10:36 AM (#50658 - in reply to #50633)

Elite Veteran

And when it rains...it blows sand all over,tears stuff up,and then rains so hard in a short time to flood everything.Then it's 120 plus humidity.

and cactus,you haven't lived till you get a jumpin cactus in your groin! Thats why cowboys walk bowlegged there!watch were you sit,put your hands,and always shake your clothes and shoes when you put them on if you are camping.

real fun comes when your horse gets one or more in his lips,or his belly when your riding.They are real hard to get out as they curl over in the skin.Been there done that.

Edited by SLICKRNSNOT 2006-10-26 10:43 AM
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-10-26 12:20 PM (#50665 - in reply to #50633)

Elite Veteran

wto Sahrita(think i spelled it right) by Tucson, in 98 to pick up My Arab mare,she had been a desert horse all her life and at 5 years old she was about to find out what green grass was.

When I got her home she steped out of the trailer,her foot touched grass and back up she went.

The grass was waist hi and she would only go as far as I did.she had no idea that grass was for eating,all she ate was alfalfa pellets there.

It was quite an experience to get her to cross streams,mud etc.

I had to act like I was eating the grass before she would touch it!

sunnyarizona
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-10-27 4:05 PM (#50745 - in reply to #50633)

Regular

I live in the Flagstaff area. A place you will no doubt enjoy bringing your horses to in the summer months. Just as we enjoy going to central or so. AZ in the winter. If you trail ride your TWH I will be glad to answer any questions. Thats the nice thing about the climate here, a little of everything all year long.
WalkerLuv
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-27 8:24 PM (#50754 - in reply to #50665)

Well, thank you Slickrnsnot (love your name). We actually are Arizona natives and I remember the desert well. Just haven't been there in a very LONG time, and not with my horses. After nearly 20 years living in frigid, wet, humid, buggy Michigan, I can't wait to leave and get back to some DRY DESERT and sunshine sunshine sunshine. If you can appreciate all the rain in Oregon, more power to ya!
WalkerLuv
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-27 8:28 PM (#50755 - in reply to #50745)

Originally written by sunnyarizona on 2006-10-27 5:05 PM

I live in the Flagstaff area. A place you will no doubt enjoy bringing your horses to in the summer months. Just as we enjoy going to central or so. AZ in the winter. If you trail ride your TWH I will be glad to answer any questions. Thats the nice thing about the climate here, a little of everything all year long.
Flagstaff...nice! Do you also ski in the winter? What sort of parks for trail riding do you have up in the Flagstaff area? I've been reading about the Arizona Trail - from the Utah border down to Mexico. What an awesome ride that has to be!!
Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-10-28 8:51 AM (#50761 - in reply to #50633)

Veteran

My sister and her husband live in Mesa and have a cabin up at Payson, she said there is a horse camp and a lot of trails up there.  Would like to try and get out there myself one of these days.
sunnyarizona
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-10-28 4:24 PM (#50773 - in reply to #50633)

Regular

Yes, we have a good ski area called Snowbowl. You can read about it on their web page, Weekday skiing is marvelous, we expect to have a lot of snow this winter, a good base already. There are many many trails in the Coconino National Forest for summer riding. We also ride in the Sedona area in Prescott Nat. Forest in the cooler months. If you like to horse camp check out Little Elden Springs Horse Camp on the east side of Flagstaff. In the Phx area there are some good riding parks, Horselovers Park comes to mind. White Mountains, over by Show Low AZ is a beautiful place, especially near the towns of Beaver and Alpine.
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-10-29 8:50 AM (#50796 - in reply to #50773)

Veteran

I, too, moved from MI to Az.  My first summer there didn't seem too bad.  (I started in east Mesa, then Queen Creek, then moved up near Prescott....NOW you could not PRY me away from MT! :)  By the following summer, I couldn't get out of the "Valley" fast enough!!  The heat was just stiffling...the traffic drove me completely nuts.  The population/building going on is crazy.  All of the farm land is disappearing, so pretty soon ALL food stuffs - human & livestock - will have to be imported & you're gonna pay the price.  You do not have to feed cubes...they raise hay there, but be ready to build up your muscles - they are an average of 110#.   Bermuda is the "local" grass hay & then there's alfalfa.  Be prepared to spend at least 3X per ton that you do in MI.  And hay is no where nice as MI.  Sand....oh yes, get funds saved up for psyllium - I was a vet tech there & we saw sand colic DAILY - big time.  'Course, alot of the problem is, these "wanna be's" put their poor horses in tiny little pens (think 4 panels, so what's that?  12 - 14" square?)  They feed them 1 FLAKE of alfalfa, a.m. & p.m. & the poor horses are scarfing thru the sand to find every little piece of alfalfa.  Soooo, plan on getting stocked up on the bermuda & FEED THEM.  I can't stress that enough.  Horses are grazing animals & unless you find a place w/irrigation, it isn't gonna happen - so you need to supply the GRASS hay.  (works good to wet it down too, helps to keep it from being a dry ball in their gut.)  Speaking of irrigation:  keep in mind, all that nice irrigation water comes from CO....who's gonna get shut off first when they stop it - CO has been having draught conditions, too & needing more & more of it.  The polution is untolerable to me.  Queen Creek was such a nice little, farming community when I lived there & it's gotten crazy there now too - building subdivisions all over (last I knew, water was a BIG problem there), farmers/ranchers getting squeezed out.  What used to irritate the heck out of me was the stupid city people that would build next to a dairy farm & then COMPLAIN about the smell!!!!   Well, simple to me: don't build next to a dairy farm!   So most of the big dairy operations are being put out of business.  I wonder if Phoenix will be the first to start making synthetic milk & cheese???  Hmmmmm.  I hated all the rattlesnakes.  And STS, you are soooo right on the cactus...those jumping chola are murder!!    In the "old days", AZ was a dry climate...but not anymore.  The humidity is bad there, too, due to stupid moves like "Tempe Lake"  & all the "fake" lakes in the subdivisions.  'Skeeters are BAD there, so if you have dogs, be as diligent w/heartworm preventatvie as you are in MI.  Also, another fun aspect of the Phoenix area is Valley Fever....such a wonderful disease for animals & humans.  Oh - & dogs get Tick Fever alot, too.  Real Estate prices are unbelieveable.....can't imagine what it's up to now.   And wages just don't match up w/cost of living there & land/home or rental prices at all.

Having said all that, AZ is a beautiful state & I rode some amazing areas.  (we usually prefered the more remote areas for privacy since there is NONE otherwise), but close in places in Mesa - our favorite was Bull Dog Canyon & Prescott was Groom Creek.  We considered moving to Flag, but fell in love w/it up here & this is "home".

Soooo, wishing you lots of luck on your impending move.  IF I had to move back to AZ, it would either be the North - NE area or SW of Tucson.  ('course, we'd have to be independently wealthy then since no supporting employment!)

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-10-30 9:18 AM (#50812 - in reply to #50633)

Elite Veteran

Yup on the change! To Me it seemed to get hotter every year.I lived the last 5 years (before moving to Oregon) over in the copper country by Kearny,nice ridin there and not too populated.Worked with Pinal County S.O.Good luck on your move.

Edited by SLICKRNSNOT 2006-10-30 9:21 AM
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-10-30 11:35 AM (#50839 - in reply to #50633)

Extreme Veteran

Husband and myself are nearing retirement time...........hmmm, where are we going to move to?  At this point we've decided  were staying put!  I've been researching the west for years and the more I learn about it, the more I appreciate where I live.  There's so many restrictions on things, and I'm sure they are for good reasons.  But here in high dollar Maryland, we really have it made.  I've never gone without getting hay, even through a drought.  I don't even know what a hay "cube" looks like or what it costs.  I can only imagine what you people must go through when mother nature acts like an idiot.  And then there's all these water rights and mineral rights issues.............Shoot I just lift the handle on the ole hydrant (when it's working) and can water everyone's yard in the neighborhood if I choose.........my water is MY water and no one elses.......

Only the strong survive out west, God Bless ya.................

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-10-30 3:38 PM (#50862 - in reply to #50633)

Elite Veteran

Ahhhh it aint that bad.Forget all those rumors about THE WEST were the men are men and the women are too! Thats Sanfransisco,Maybe Portland the way it's goin'.

Other than that if ya hear someone coming out of the closet.....hurry and lock the door!!

mox
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-11-01 10:41 AM (#50943 - in reply to #50633)

Oregon is a great place to be.  Even if it does rain for 9 months.  makes the grass green and the trees bloom.

You can be at the coast one day, at the mountain the next, and the high desert another day.

From the Valley all the way over to Eastern Oregon... This truly is, IMHO, the best state to live in the country.

If you get sick of the rain, you can just head over the cascades to Central, where they don't get nearly as much.

windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-11-01 11:10 AM (#50946 - in reply to #50862)

Extreme Veteran

Now Slick..........your on the west COAST...............like I'm on the east  COAST...............WEST to me is Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada.................

And we know rain ain't a problem in Oregon..................

And as far as coming out of the closet........hell in our family we got a 6 x 6 across the door......cause if it ever get's opened the whole famned damily will fall out..........lol

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-11-01 11:33 AM (#50948 - in reply to #50633)

Elite Veteran

It's like MOX said there is always a place to meet your likes here.

I am getting ready to go to the eastern part of the state over by LaGrande Or.to hunt elk with a blackpowder muzzleloader.Went there last year and hunted the general rifle season on My horse,had a great time.

Takin him again this year,the camp spot may be snowed in but if I can find a spot that I can get to I will definately use him.If nothing else he can carry more than I can when it comes to packing out an elk.Besides that he has fun just being there.

Edited by SLICKRNSNOT 2006-11-01 11:40 AM
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-02 11:27 AM (#50994 - in reply to #50633)

Veteran

Hey Slicker, don't be braggin' up the NW too much....we've got enough people discovering  it & over populating it as it is! 
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-11-02 4:09 PM (#51019 - in reply to #50633)

Elite Veteran

See Seee I savy amigos!!
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-11-02 7:48 PM (#51029 - in reply to #50633)

Expert

Whats is Snowflake and surrounding area like weather wise and price/land wise to live? I've looked it up on computer etc.but wanted some firsgt hand feed back please. Been thinking of moving some where more scenic and less crowed.Thoughts of Arizona,New Mexico etc.Thanks.

Edited by hounddog 2006-11-02 7:52 PM
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-11-03 9:24 AM (#51055 - in reply to #50994)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by AbbyB on 2006-11-02 11:27 AM

Hey Slicker, don't be braggin' up the NW too much....we've got enough people discovering  it & over populating it as it is! 

Ok...went to feed this morning,dark and getting darker,only have about 2 hours of daylight,mudd everywere,have to wear waders to get in to the pasture.

Went down and bought some snorkels for the horses today,so they can still graze and not drown.

Took the tractor down to clean the barn,got stuck,went and got truckand 100 foot of chain.When I got to the truck the bed was full of water...and the tailgate was down !!

Overnight the small stream rose so high ..you could bend over and see underneath it !!

Had to pull the horse shoes and nail on some flippers.Kinda hard to do now that my fingers are so webbed.

The good part is I don't need to fill the water trough,it fills itself.

I make my wife wear a safety rope,so if she is not back in 30 minutes I can pull the rope back and see if she is still on the end of it.

She lost the rope once and got washed downstream,damn..that was a good rope too!
Well gotta go get the air tanks refilled on the submarine...I mean horsetrailer.All I can see is the snorkel sticking out of the water.NO wait thats the bathroom vent pipe!

Well at least in 9 months it will be dry again,everything will dry out and die,then turn to dust and blow all over.You have to open the windows so the constant wind will blow in some fresh dust now and then.

Then there is that leak that was caused when the tree blew down...Oh well that can wait till fall.Thats not too far away.Lets see Sept to November warn rain,November to March,Cold rain,snow,ice,and freezing rain.March to June warmer rain.June to September,no rain,windy, dusty,west nile time,moskitoes from all the rain.Big flies all over.

Crap the wind just blew the doors off the barn again and they are floating down the driveway.
Gotta go wake the wifey up so she can put them back on.I would help but by the time I swim to the road I would be late for work.

Is that sunshine I see ? naw it's a crab fishing boat in the pasture again..."HEY GET OUTTA THAR" "THEMS MY CRABS,YA THEVIN VARMINTS"

(Hows that)
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-04 12:35 PM (#51103 - in reply to #50633)

Veteran

HA HA!!   Sounds "good", but ya didn't have to send all that dang rain OUR way!    From the weather forecast, it's looking like we're gonna have to start building our ark soon - OR, maybe one that can convert over to having skids on the bottom, too, for when the snow hits! 

Snowflake - a very beautiful area, but last I heard, real estate is purdy high since it's one of the big "get away" areas when it's so stinking hot in the summer in Phoenix area.  Then, in the winter, there's tons of snow skiing up there, so the "visitors" keep right on coming, no matter what time of year.  I know at one point, they were having BIG problems w/water up that way.....east of Payson & towards the border.  So, if land seems really cheap compared to the majority of the others, it's probly impossible to get water - or won't perk.  Not much at all in jobs around there, either, but if you're retired, then you don't have to worry about that.  Since you mentioned NM too - have you ck'd out the Silver City area?  Not gonna be any cheaper, but I hear they don't have the water problems.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-11-04 3:00 PM (#51110 - in reply to #51103)

Expert

I'm not to far from Silver City and compared to where I came from in S Tx prices are high, but compared to everywhere else they aren't bad.  I've only driven through there once and it its nice We've had lots of rain this year and there was quite a bit of grass.  Also NM is an open range state and basically if the land isn't fenced you are free to ride it.  (watch for cows on the roads!)  I have about 1000 acres of open desert next to me that I am riding in.   

I have  problem driving in the mountians so I haven't been up in them much and not with the horses.  But it is beautiful.

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-06 7:53 PM (#51191 - in reply to #50633)

Veteran

Hey Terri, have you been in that area w/horses for several yrs?  I'm curious if you would know a vet I used to work for in AZ that came from the Silver area.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)