'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Steel VS. Aluminum Debate

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-21 4:18 PM
26 replies, 4949 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

nabsolute
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-17 5:38 PM (#46869)
Subject: Steel VS. Aluminum Debate

Ok... so I live in the Pacific North west, we get 40 inches of rain per year.  That means for about 9 months out of said year, it is probably raining.

I have been looking at the new Trails west all steel trailers.  Yes the paint job is great etc etc.  But given that, I'm worried that it would get 'cancer' in 10 years, where an aluminum wouldn't.

Is it worth the investment in aluminum now?  The steel trailers seem to be quieter than aluminum, and more sturdy.  I'm looking for opinions from anyone other than a Trails West dealer, not that they arent being honest, but I know they can be a bit biased.... But that is just part of the job.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-08-17 7:00 PM (#46873 - in reply to #46869)
Subject: RE: Steel VS. Aluminum Debate

Regular

We are also in the Northwest. Our last two trailers have been aluminum..........It is better than steel ...........considering the weather conditions. I think it is worth the extra dollars you will spend.
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-08-17 7:02 PM (#46874 - in reply to #46869)

Regular

ours is aluminum with a steel frame

cowboyscash
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-08-17 7:55 PM (#46878 - in reply to #46869)

cowboyscash
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-08-17 8:00 PM (#46880 - in reply to #46869)

We live in Nevada and had a Trails West it was a good trailer,but even here it started to rust in 1 year were the paint had been chiped.Now we have a aluminum Sooner and would not go back to steel.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-17 9:18 PM (#46885 - in reply to #46869)

Expert

Originally written by nabsolute on 2006-08-17 5:38 PM

Ok... so I live in the Pacific North west, we get 40 inches of rain per year. That means for about 9 months out of said year, it is probably raining.

I have been looking at the new Trails west all steel trailers. Yes the paint job is great etc etc. But given that, I'm worried that it would get 'cancer' in 10 years, where an aluminum wouldn't.

Is it worth the investment in aluminum now? The steel trailers seem to be quieter than aluminum, and more sturdy. I'm looking for opinions from anyone other than a Trails West dealer, not that they arent being honest, but I know they can be a bit biased.... But that is just part of the job.

I don't know where/how you got to "The steel trailers seem to be quieter than aluminum, and more sturdy." I think steel "rings" in hail and even heavy rain. "More sturdy" - well, it depends what sort of abuse you expect it to get. Gate posts or Mack trucks ? Steel is simpler/easier to bend back folded fenders and such, easier to touch up - but with aluminum scratches from bushes and briars don't really show, well the big ones do but you can burnish them out with a stainless steel wire brush (-:

I'm sticking with Al - my Pal.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-08-18 6:55 AM (#46899 - in reply to #46869)

Elite Veteran

I've had both and had a "kicker" in both. The steel immediately showed dents and dings on the outside from the horse striking/kicking in the inside. Same horse never made a dent that showed on my aluminum and believe me, he tried. As others have said, paint jobs are prone to chips and rust, just the nature of the beast.
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-18 7:01 AM (#46901 - in reply to #46869)

Veteran

If you can afford the difference, you'll likely be happier with aluminum.  Benefits include lighter weight, higher resale, no rust, etc.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-18 8:18 PM (#46932 - in reply to #46869)
Subject: RE

Elite Veteran

I have a galvanized steel Logan Coach now, and am selling it and buying another galvanized Logan Coach with living quarters.  My trailer has sat outside, in the wet part of the Pacific Northwest, and the only rust on it is on the non-galvanized areas (hitch receiver, etc).  I have to agree with whoever said the steel trailers "feel" more solid.  I looked at all sorts of trailers before deciding to go with another steel Logan. 

I am probably going to get flamed for this opinion, but it seems to me there is a huge bias towards alumininum because its the "in" thing.  Roofing nails are made out of galvanized steel....because they don't rust.  How many rusted galvanized steel stock tanks have you seen?  Me personally....none. 

On the flip side, why don't we see aluminum cars, if there is so much weight savings in these days of the importance of fuel economy?  I think its because structurally aluminum isn't as good a strength material as steel.  Look at high performance bicycles.  You can get really light bicycles made out of aluminum, but you better not do any serious single track mountain bike riding, you'll rattle it apart.  Good mountain bikes are made out of steel.  Now there's a sport that pays attention to weight!   (Hubby rides both mountain and road bikes - both are steel, and not because it was cheaper)

Anything is going to last longer if you take care of it and keep it under cover, do maintenance and repairs as needed, etc.  When trailer shopping one needs to look at all the features.  Obviously I am a little biased towards the Logans, but I can't imagine giving up the drop down windows on both sides of the trailer for my horses' comfort. 

Just my two cents worth....Am I the only pro-steel forum member?

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-18 8:34 PM (#46934 - in reply to #46932)
Subject: RE: RE

Expert

Originally written by headhunter on 2006-08-18 8:18 PM

I have a galvanized steel Logan Coach now, and am selling it and buying another galvanized Logan Coach with living quarters. My trailer has sat outside, in the wet part of the Pacific Northwest, and the only rust on it is on the non-galvanized areas (hitch receiver, etc). I have to agree with whoever said the steel trailers "feel" more solid. I looked at all sorts of trailers before deciding to go with another steel Logan.

I am probably going to get flamed for this opinion, but it seems to me there is a huge bias towards alumininum because its the "in" thing. Roofing nails are made out of galvanized steel....because they don't rust. How many rusted galvanized steel stock tanks have you seen? Me personally....none.

On the flip side, why don't we see aluminum cars, if there is so much weight savings in these days of the importance of fuel economy? I think its because structurally aluminum isn't as good a strength material as steel. Look at high performance bicycles. You can get really light bicycles made out of aluminum, but you better not do any serious single track mountain bike riding, you'll rattle it apart. Good mountain bikes are made out of steel. Now there's a sport that pays attention to weight! (Hubby rides both mountain and road bikes - both are steel, and not because it was cheaper)

Anything is going to last longer if you take care of it and keep it under cover, do maintenance and repairs as needed, etc. When trailer shopping one needs to look at all the features. Obviously I am a little biased towards the Logans, but I can't imagine giving up the drop down windows on both sides of the trailer for my horses' comfort.

Just my two cents worth....Am I the only pro-steel forum member?

Bicycles ? I have both steel and aluminum, I prefer both, at different times and for differeent reasons.
Road trailers, the BIG ones, I'd guess 80% of them are aluminum - and they're certainly NOT rattling apart as they travel.
Cars ? The production system is set up for STAMPING, a process that thin sheet steel works well in.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-18 8:43 PM (#46935 - in reply to #46934)
Subject: RE: steel vs. aluminum

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Reg on 2006-08-18 6:34 PM

. Cars ? The production system is set up for STAMPING, a process that thin sheet steel works well in.

Aren't horse trailers made on a production line as well?  I'm sorry, but if aluminum really was a better material, we'd see it in cars by now.  Think Saturn with the "plastic" body panels. 

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-19 6:33 AM (#46942 - in reply to #46935)

Expert

Originally written by headhunter on 2006-08-18 8:43 PM

Originally written by Reg on 2006-08-18 6:34 PM

. Cars ? The production system is set up for STAMPING, a process that thin sheet steel works well in.

Aren't horse trailers made on a production line as well? I'm sorry, but if aluminum really was a better material, we'd see it in cars by now. Think Saturn with the "plastic" body panels.

Yes, it is a production line, but there is a lot more labor and a lot less automation. The style of cars and trucks has also developed to a point where compound curved body panels are now more or less essential. Horse trailers are primarily "flat sheet", which doesn't require much forming.
Sure, it can be done with plastic in a lot of cases, but there is still the ole market acceptance issue. One of the first things that the auto industry learned once it had saturated the market was that it needed to create a replacement market, hence "planned obsolescence". It is NOT in the interest of auto manufacturers to sell us cars that don't rust out.

So, I don't see the prevalence of the steel auto as any sort of "proof" that steel is a superior material (to aluminum) for horse trailer construction. YIMV, etc.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-19 8:59 AM (#46946 - in reply to #46942)
Subject: RE

Elite Veteran

It is NOT in the interest of auto manufacturers to sell us cars that don't rust out. So, I don't see the prevalence of the steel auto as any sort of "proof" that steel is a superior material (to aluminum) for horse trailer construction. YIMV, etc.

Anybody replace a car because it rusted out?  I haven't. 

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-08-19 9:02 AM (#46947 - in reply to #46935)

Elite Veteran

WOWEE!!!!!!!!!!! if we had to pay for an all aluminum car we would never be out of debt!! what the heck would one cost??? 130K??But we wouldn't have to worry about paint...just get 4xOOOO steel wool pad and work scratchs out, huh?
daafy
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-08-19 12:03 PM (#46950 - in reply to #46869)

Regular

I have been told that steel trailers don't really weigh that much more than aluminum ones.  As explained to me, aluminum is lighter but weaker.  So more material has to be used in an aluminum trailer than a steel. Given the added reinforcement needed for an aluminum trailer, the difference in weight isn't that much.  By that I mean "not as much difference as people think".

Alumium makes sense if rust is an issue and if every pound counts.  But the added cost?  Yikes.

Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-08-19 12:04 PM (#46951 - in reply to #46869)

Veteran

Well, I'm a dissenter. I prefer steel. Taken care of it lasts. More to my liking ( I'm not an engineer, but know a few nuances) within a given threshold steel has an unlimited flex life, aluminum does not. I work in an industry where I have seen firsthand the effects of aluminum deterioration, so thats my bias, then again I do not live in an area where constant moisture/ salt air , etc. would influence my decision. Steel will generally warn you of weakness and my experience is that aluminum fails catstophically with little warning. I have seen an aluminum gondola body broken cleanly in half on the highway, clearly not at the welds.The basis of all this is husbandry, recognize each materials strengths and weaknesses and be realistic if you are prepared to maintain based on construction. I have a very solid 31 year old steel Hart bumper pull, built long before galvaneel, and a new galvaneel living quarters trailer. I have not seen many aluminum trailers much over ten years old on the road.My 2cents. Rich.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-08-19 4:49 PM (#46952 - in reply to #46869)

Elite Veteran

Just remember though, Steel and Aluminum prices get higher every day- so If you think you might want to get a steel now,and maybe upgrade to aluminum later, you think prices are high now? You will probably wish you had chosen more wisely earlier. My friend is dealing with this right now.

Just get what you want the first time. You will save sooooo much money in the long run. Also, don't go the cheap route and think it will do. Get the trailer you want and need. I went cheap- 3 horse trailers later, I am finally happy. It is worth the extra money!

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-19 6:38 PM (#46954 - in reply to #46869)

Extreme Veteran

Yeap, if you live by the coast an all aluminum is the only way to go if you can afford it.  Steel will look like crap in only 2 or 3 years.  Issues normally starts in the seam area and underneath.  You can take care of it the best you can and it still happens.  Once the rust starts your only choice is to cut it out and replace it if possible.
inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-08-20 10:03 AM (#46970 - in reply to #46869)

Veteran

Well, there is the other option. Aluminum over steel, you get the strength of steel for the frame and the weight reduction on the walls and other places. We have a Trail-et that is set up this way. Also since the roof is a one chunk of fiberglass it will not rust. Also the fiberglass roof helps in keeping the trailer cooler in the summer. The 86 bumper pull is still going strong. OK could use a coat of wax and a good cleaning. I would say that the in the northwest the rain is not the problem that we think. Here we do not use a lot of salt or anything that causes the corrosion like other areas of the country. Decent maintenance will solve a whole slew of problems later down the road.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-21 9:50 AM (#47046 - in reply to #46869)

Elite Veteran

I'm thinkin about an all plastic trailer,no rust, no blossoming,light and recyclable.

Somethin i can pull with a bicycle and save fuel.

nabsolute
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-21 12:35 PM (#47063 - in reply to #46869)

After much debate, I finally bought a trailer! YIPPIE.  And I am so friggin happy about the choice I made. 

I decided on an 04 Classic Monarch 3 horse slant w/ 2 foot extended dress room (only 200 miles on it.  The little rubber 'spikey deals' on the tires were still intact!).  ALL ALuminum except for the jack and hitch.  Couldn't be happier.  This trailer just SHINES!!!  And it was LESS money than the brand new trails west all Steel trailer I was looking at.

19ft on the floor, 27ft overall, pulls AWESOME!  The only problem is that they didnt' use it much, so the gooseneck hitch is a bit hard to close, have to hit it with a block.  I used a bunch of WD 40 yesterday to cure the problem, helped a bit... Guess I just have to keep doing the WD 40 thing.

I did a lot of talking with people IN the metal industry about the pro's and cons between steel and Aluminum.

This is what the presedent of the company I work for had to say:  (Keep in mind I work for a metal manufacturing and fab company that works with steel 90% and aluminum 10% of the time):
"Aluminum is the industry standard for horse trailers now.  Aluminum is definitely the way to go over steel.  Any steel trailer dealer is going to tell you about the superior strength of steel over aluminum.  When they talk about strengths of materials, it all depends on the application.  Steel is superior to aluminum in some ways, where aluminum is superior to steel in others.  You don't want a steel trailer.  Go for all Aluminum, don't get a hybrid." 

Even with galvinized, electrocoated, enamel porcilin, sun baked, kiln dried, super space age processed paints or whatever they are... Paint will chip, the galvinization will scrape off, there are going to be inperfections, and you will have rust.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-08-21 12:53 PM (#47064 - in reply to #46869)

Expert

Good for you!
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-21 1:50 PM (#47070 - in reply to #46869)

Elite Veteran

Wih I would have read this before I bought My new steel horse trailer.Oh well maybe next year!

I can't wait till they build trucks out of alumenimum.That will be a great improvement.

An aluminum truck,running on hambuger grease,lubricated with catsup and protected with mustard.With pickle wheels.Little dingleballs on the windows.

You want fries with that?

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-08-21 2:46 PM (#47082 - in reply to #46869)

Elite Veteran

Somewhat off topic and only because my company packages various greases and oils-I'd try white lithium grease in preference to WD40 which has a solvent in it. Kinda messy but I get a full season out of it on my hitch.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-21 2:49 PM (#47083 - in reply to #47082)

Elite Veteran

that is good and Never seize works good too.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)