'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Newbie Planning a Cross State Relocation trip... I have questions?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-15 8:08 PM
25 replies, 5207 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NaturalQHorseman
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-10 9:45 PM (#46370)
Subject: Newbie Planning a Cross State Relocation trip... I have questions?

Hello,

My wife & I are planning on relocating from California to Texas. We have one horse we'd like to trailer ourselves. It just makes more sense to us to use the money that we would be spending to have him trailered... Towards buying a trailer instead.

I have trailered short distance but never from state to state. I have been asking and probing around and collecting input & ideas as far as preparing & making such a haul but My main concern is getting the right trailer for the long haul and making sure our horse will be comfortable, will have enough room, Length & height, air flow thru the trailer Material of the trailer etc....

Do any of you have any input as far as what brand or type or style of trailer that would be good for long hauls? We're on a budget so we're looking to spend between $2,000 - $7,000

This will be our first trailer so we'd like to get as much info as we can and choose the right trailer once and not choose the wrong one twice.

All your input will be greatly appreciated thanx & God Bless :-)

Edited by NaturalQHorseman 2006-08-10 9:55 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-10 11:12 PM (#46376 - in reply to #46370)
Subject: RE: Newbie Planning a Cross State Relocation trip... I have questions?

Expert

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.
I'm guessing this will be a two day trip, right ?
My rule for me and the horses is 500 miles a day, more if they're fit, less if not. I'll send you a private message, in the mean time do a couple of keyword searches, we've discussed this a LOT, there are many threads on multi day hauls.
NaturalQHorseman
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-10 11:53 PM (#46377 - in reply to #46370)

Thanx for your reply.... Well it would be a 2 day trip without a trailer but we're looking at more of a 4 day trip.

I would reall like to know what type of trailer we should purchase for this particular type of trip.... though it must be a bumper pull.

Thanx

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-11 8:27 AM (#46383 - in reply to #46370)

Elite Veteran

I hauled 2 horses from Arizona to Oregon in two days in a Logan 2 horse bumper pull.

I made frequent stops and offered them water and feed.The horses need time to rest and relax too.

It also depends on what you will do with the trailer when you move and what you have for a tow vehicle.

If you have the money buy the trailer you think you will need later down the road.If a two horse straight will do ya for what you do then fine . If you plan on hauling hay or more horses you can go with a 3 or 4 horse trailer in a gooseneck.

I like the torsion suspension over springs,rides smoother.

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-11 8:42 AM (#46386 - in reply to #46377)

Extreme Veteran

I would recomend a tall wide 2 horse slant load,  full rear door, drop down feed doors, with butt windows and a small dressing room up front. That is what I would get....why? In actual hauling either a slant load or side by side work fine but with a slant load with a full rear door I can haul other things....wood..hay ...furniture...whatever. With a slant load I can load my horse saddled up can't do that with a side by side. Usually a small slant load will have a stand up dressing room, good for storage or hauling feed on a long trip. Resale I believe the slant is a tad more in demand. Ventilation can be better with the drop down feed doors with bars.  I have both a slant and side by side and the horses don't mind either.....That would be the type I would buy....Brand would be another story...you get into aluminum vs steel...then cost...I'm sure there will be other valid opinions posted. Good Luck! 

chevalnoir
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-11 11:05 AM (#46398 - in reply to #46370)

IMO, for a long trip like that, a horse needs an air ride. I would never haul that kind of distance myself because the big professional rigs are SO much easier on the horse.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-11 12:50 PM (#46400 - in reply to #46370)

Elite Veteran

Save your money....they don't need an air ride....thousands of horses are transported all over the U.S. and very few are in an "air ride" I have ridden in My gooseneck trailer with torsion suspension and it rides smoother than my truck.

I have hauled my horses all over the place and havent had any problems yet.

Stop often..give em feed...offer em water... and take them out if they are good at reloading and walk them around.

Keep em cool keep em fed and watered and they will be fine!!!

Not all horses will drink on a trip and some water has a smell or taste they don't like,I add some clorox to the water at home and get them used to it.Then when I travel I do the same and they drink much better.

Air ride...$$$$ they don't need it.

Stymie
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-08-11 2:36 PM (#46404 - in reply to #46370)

If you add some coke to the water it can help some stubborn horses drink as well.  
NaturalQHorseman
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-11 3:20 PM (#46407 - in reply to #46370)

Thanx for all your replies they are very helpful please keep them coming!

Id have to say that air ride would be nice if I could afford it but I dont feel the trailer has to have it as long as I stop give feed & water. Besides My New truck has air-ride suspension and I have recently pulled a trailer with my horse in it and it made a very positive difference the ride was smooth could barely feel the trailer back there.

thanx again for your relpies im dying to here more input and advice. this will make my trip so much easier & most of all my selection of trailer... with all this input.

Backin3
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-12 12:36 PM (#46461 - in reply to #46370)

Backin3
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-12 12:41 PM (#46462 - in reply to #46370)

I know this wasn't part of your question, but please dont forget to stop and get them off the trailer if you go very far in one day! AND, more importantly, DON'T stop at those state "Welcome areas" and let them pick! The grass in those areas is often sprayed with pesticides. Better to stop at an exit that has NOTHING but a nice grassy area where they can stretch, relax, "take care of business" and graze.

Best of luck!
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-12 1:07 PM (#46465 - in reply to #46462)

Expert

Originally written by Backin3 on 2006-08-12 12:41 PM

I know this wasn't part of your question, but please dont forget to stop and get them off the trailer if you go very far in one day! AND, more importantly, DON'T stop at those state "Welcome areas" and let them pick! The grass in those areas is often sprayed with pesticides. Better to stop at an exit that has NOTHING but a nice grassy area where they can stretch, relax, "take care of business" and graze.

Best of luck!

I disagree.
Absolutely DO NOT take horses off a trailer unless you're in a safely enclosed space, e.g. A FENCED AREA.
ANYTHING, sometimes nothing can spook a horse, ANY horse.
In strange surroundings with strange people it is even more likely.
Backin3
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-12 4:40 PM (#46473 - in reply to #46370)

Reg makes a valid argument, but please note that I said "very far." I'll qualify that by saying over 6-7 hours.

Safety is most definately a concern here, which is why I suggested  an exit with NOTHING. Literally!  My greater concern in making this suggestion was that you would make the mistake of assuming that a "welcome center/rest area" was a safe place for horses. It isnt! BTW, when traveling alone, I avoid "welcome centers/rest areas for my own safety, also. I'll take my chances with the truckers at the larger truck stops (ya gotta fuel up somewhere!) or restaurants like Cracker Barrel which offer RV parking over the predators who hang out at rest areas anyday.

Maybe I'm a "softee", but IMHO  I would rather stop and get them off, let them move around a bit and relax, drink ( you can also add cherry Kool-aid, like the above Coke suggestion) and then go on down the road when the trip is overly long. I've never had a horse refuse grain after a long trip, or worse, colic from the stress of a trip.

I stop (for myself) about every two hours, just to stay alert and keep from paying for it later with stiff muscles . I offer the horses water at these stops and always fill the haybags if I'm going over 2 hours.

I'm too new to this forum to know about previous threads, but will see what I can learn,too!

Again, best of luck!

Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-08-12 6:21 PM (#46474 - in reply to #46370)

Regular

I'd look for a stock trailer type with dressing room.  That will give you plenty of ventilation plus room for feed, bucket's and etc. etc. etc.  When buying used, get under the trailer and look for rust.  The usual brakes, wheel bearing's, flooring, back door's, tires.  If your not sure what to look for, take someone with you that you have confidence in their trailer buying knowledge.  Also, invest in US Rider insurance.  It may be the best thing you'll ever buy.  Also, we always carry two spare's.  LOL 

Several year's ago, just about this time of year, we hauled a mare from Casper,Wyo. to NW Arkansas. Picked her up mid-afternoon, 17 hour's later we pulled into the farm. Two horse slant load gooseneck. The only time we stopped was to gas up.  At that time, we offered water and replenished her hay supply.  45 minutes to an hour each time. She was such a pain in the a** to load, we weren't about to get her out of the trailer and have that merry-go-round again.    She faired just fine.  (We looked and felt like we'd been rode hard and put away wet!)  She was six and just off the futurity trail. 

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-08-13 5:44 PM (#46506 - in reply to #46370)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with xyser about looking for a 2 horse slant with dressing room and lobo about a stock trailer.

I owned a two horse straight load without a dressing room and a two horse with dressing room and the convenience of having the extra room was really nice plus I could sleep in mine if I wanted too. It was much easier getting saddles in and out and hauling hay etc.

I currently have a GN 2 horse slant with drop windows and slat side on the butt side. I took a ride in the back of the trailer to see how is was for the horse and discovered I had poor circulation so I took out the slats on the butt side and haven't used them again. It really opened up the trailer for circulation so the air goes through.

I take out my divider to give my horse plenty of room and he also likes to travel reversed loaded. When I travel with two horses they do fine without the divider but I'd only do that with horses that know each other. Horses that have problems loading seem to load better in stock trailers too.

I've heard if you have problems getting you horse to drink to put apple juice in the water and that should help. Never tried it myself because my horses always have done well but I do find the don't drink a lot while traveling.

I agree with Reg about not unloading your horse. I read an article on a study they did on trailer horses and they took their blood and heart rate etc. They said on some horses it was more traumatic getting in and out of the trailer than it was just leaving them in. Also the horse you thought traveled perfectly fine because the didn't how any outward signs of stress actually showed their tests to be elevated over the ones they showed outward signs. I've traveled up to ten hours with horses and didn't take them out and they did fine. Just be sure to stop every two to three hours to give you and your horse a break.
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-08-14 8:16 AM (#46533 - in reply to #46370)

Veteran

I agree with the dressing room, always good to have the extra room. Once you get to Tx. you'll start riding and find tons of uses for it. Go to http://www.horseandmule.com to find places to stop over for the night. You know you'll be safe getting the horse out. I say trailering it is just fine, no different than hauling them cross country to trail ride someplace. Just take you time and give them a chance to stand still and rest. I agree with all the other advice with feeding and watering. Best of luck to you with your move and God Be With You
Shari
NaturalQHorseman
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-14 2:10 PM (#46577 - in reply to #46370)

Thanx for all of your kind advice it is realy comforting
NaturalQHorseman
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-14 2:17 PM (#46578 - in reply to #46533)

I tried that website but it didnt work. It said the domain name is up for sale.
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-08-14 2:40 PM (#46579 - in reply to #46370)

Veteran

Ditto...
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-14 2:55 PM (#46581 - in reply to #46579)

Elite Veteran

YA LEFT SOME OUT.....

http://www.horseandmuletrails.com/

Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-08-14 9:46 PM (#46613 - in reply to #46370)

Regular

I swear, you guy's. 

http://www.horsemotel.com/

http://www.horsetrip.com/

Edited by Lobo 2006-08-14 9:48 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-08-14 11:25 PM (#46617 - in reply to #46370)

Expert

Don't forget that you are crossing state lines.  Make sure you have your coggins and health certificates.  Decide what cities/towns you want to stop in for the night and call about the fair grounds.  That is a safe place to unload and most will let you stay the night for free.  When moving from S. Tx to NM I stayed the night in Ft. Stockton and stayed at the fair grounds.  My horses had room to stretch out and lay down and were safe.  I stayed in my trailer right next to their pens.   I would NEVER unload along the side of the road unless it was an emergency and there was no other option.  Something as simple as a dust devil or rabbit could spook a horse and send it right into the highway.
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-08-15 9:25 AM (#46634 - in reply to #46370)

Veteran

OOPS! Sorry about that.
Shari
Cyn
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-15 5:43 PM (#46678 - in reply to #46465)

New User

When traveling a long distance---we like to stop at fair grounds and unload horses into arenas or pens. We recently went to the High Shool Rodeo Finals in ILL, which was a very long haul, and everywhere we stopped to excercise the horses, we found extremely nice people. Just a thought.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-15 7:01 PM (#46686 - in reply to #46678)

Cyn- sounds like you've got the travel part figured out. How did the rodeo go?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)