'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Long Haul- Ok I know most has been covered double checking Myself

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-09 12:41 PM
29 replies, 5766 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-07-19 7:29 PM (#45081)
Subject: Long Haul- Ok I know most has been covered double checking Myself

Veteran

We may or may not be doing a trade of a brood mare. If we do it it will be eight hundred miles each way. Longer than either me or the wife has done before.

I will check the trailer out. Make sure that everything is OK there but, then there are the horses. Trailer is a Windshadow Eventer by Trailet. I can set it up as two straight load and a box stall or as two box stalls. The two horses that we would be picking up and bring back are a three year old, wife's new riding horse and a two year old. As far as I know neither of them has ridden in a trailer before. Can folks give me a idea which way I should set up the trailer and why.

Yes stop and check every couple hours offer water.
Wet hay down so that they get more water.
No grain before going

Planing on four hundred miles a day. Is that a good number to shoot for?
Oh and we have to plan to hit the border to Canada and back when the Vets are there.

Help me make sure I don't forget something
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-19 8:04 PM (#45085 - in reply to #45081)
Subject: RE: Long Haul- Ok I know most has been covered double checking Myself

Expert

Originally written by inWA on 2006-07-19 7:29 PM

We may or may not be doing a trade of a brood mare. If we do it it will be eight hundred miles each way. Longer than either me or the wife has done before.

I will check the trailer out. Make sure that everything is OK there but, then there are the horses. Trailer is a Windshadow Eventer by Trailet. I can set it up as two straight load and a box stall or as two box stalls. The two horses that we would be picking up and bring back are a three year old, wife's new riding horse and a two year old. As far as I know neither of them has ridden in a trailer before. Can folks give me a idea which way I should set up the trailer and why.

Yes stop and check every couple hours offer water.
Wet hay down so that they get more water.
No grain before going

Planing on four hundred miles a day. Is that a good number to shoot for?
Oh and we have to plan to hit the border to Canada and back when the Vets are there.

Help me make sure I don't forget something

I'd set it up as two stalls, I'm assuming that they get along...

I'm beginning to think that the "offer water every couple of hours" rule is more than a bit too fussy. I've noticed that horses generally don't want to drink out of a hand held bucket unless they HAVE TO - and they don't feel that they have to until 5 or 6 hours, maybe more. Carriers that I've met at road stops have also confirmed this. I stop at 3, 6, 9 now and that works well for my own snacking, bathroom and fueling needs.
SOME horses won't do anything in a trailer, they won't eat, pee or poop.
Just be sure they get to eat something when you stop. If you can see that the hay hasn't been touched at the first stop stretch that stop out to 40 or so minutes. They might eat on the road after that.

BTW, start early. I try to be rolling on the highway before 8:00.
If you hang around until mid morning, or after you think the morning rush will be gone you'll never catch up to a decent schedule.
I'd be sure to have a back-up overnight stable, just in case the first one turns out to be a real dump of a place (happened to me ONCE). Also, when you make the reservations check if it would be ok to stay 2 nights if you had to. If you want to be close to your horses use BBB&Bs.

http://www.bbonline.com/horse.html

Edited by Reg 2006-07-19 8:12 PM
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 8:29 PM (#45087 - in reply to #45081)

I agree with Reg on the time spread and stalls. 400 miles shouldn't be too much on the horses if you are good for it. Try to get the current owners to start watering the horses out of a bucket and gradually add a little cool aid or gator aid to the water. The horses will get used to the taste and it will help cover up changes in the taste of water on the road, and you can add electrolytes and nutrients to the water if needed and they won't taste them. Make sure they poop, because hauling can cause an impaction on some horses if they are not used to it. Everybody has their own body clock, but like Reg said, get started as early as possible, even if it means you stop earlier in the day. We haul a lot at night, mostly out of necessity, but I think it is really easier on the horses and sure easier on the driver once you get used to it. You usually only have to share the road with the truck drivers, who are a safe, courteous and friendly bunch to travel with. Makes the time pass quicker. Have a good and safe trip.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 8:32 PM (#45088 - in reply to #45081)

Extreme Veteran

Most horses will not pee while the trailer is in motion and like to be stopped for a while before they will cut loose. Longest trip I've ever made was about 400 miles. We stopped every 2 hours for at least 20-30 minutes. We opened up all windows and doors safely possible, hung water buckets and reloaded hay nets. Then went to get ourselves a drink and a snack, stretched our legs, etc. Usually by that time they will have drunk some water and peed.

If possible, try to locate a place to stop that will let you unload them and walk around a bit...you cannot do this at public rest areas.

Good luck and be safe.

RIDE ON!

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-20 7:40 AM (#45112 - in reply to #45081)

Veteran

Two of my horses came from Wyoming to the East Coast in a stock trailer set up so each had a box stall. The third came from Colorado in a 2 horse straight load, but he had already been hauled from north of Calgary, Alberta, Canada, so he was a veteran hauler. We stop a full hour for lunch to let the horses rest on the trailer. Beward of major cities at rush hour! St. Louis was a BEAR! When were your trailer bearings last packed? How old are your trailer tires? Be sure to check your inflation on the spare, in additon to other tires. Of course, I assume all hoses and belts on the truck have been gone over with a fine tooth comb. I arranged for horse motels via the internet, and had fine accomdations at reasonable prices.

Have a safe trip!

Brenda

BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-20 8:02 AM (#45113 - in reply to #45081)

Extreme Veteran

For peace of mind consider joining US Rider (www.usrider.com), for a 1,600 mile trip it would be great peace of mind.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-20 8:11 AM (#45114 - in reply to #45081)

Expert

I would set the stalls as 2 straights for the better horses and a box for the other. No need to stop more than every 4 hours or so. Don't go thru major cities during rush hour. Don't worry if they don't drink for up to 10 hours but dampening the hay does help. Join US Rider and have a good trip!
jkrabel
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-20 8:15 AM (#45115 - in reply to #45081)

Definitely set up as the 2 box stalls.  I have a turnbow trailer I can set up the same way, and I always haul my horses in a box stall. I find they travel better especially on long trips.
SkipperW
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-21 1:05 AM (#45169 - in reply to #45081)

Some might disagree, but if I was hauling horses that were questionable at loading I'd at least keep open as an option driving 800 miles straight through. If they don't load well, I think the stress of unloading and loading enroute would be harder on them than the longer trailer ride.

A few of years ago we picked up a couple of mares that had been in a broodmare band and not used to trailering, or even being handled much. We didn't have too bad of a time loading them in an open stock trailer. We left them untied and hauled them from central Missouri to Ohio, about 750 miles, making normal stops for gas and eats, but no overnights or unloading. To avoid St. Louis traffic, we loaded up at 11PM and drove all night Incidentally, both mares turned around in the trailer and rode the whole way backwards.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-21 8:02 AM (#45176 - in reply to #45169)

Expert

Nope, I agree with you. If they are a real problem to load, it's best to keep the loading lessons at home, not while on the road. Horses are a lot hardier than we sometimes give them credit for.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-21 8:44 AM (#45178 - in reply to #45169)

Expert

Originally written by SkipperW on 2006-07-21 1:05 AM

Some might disagree, but if I was hauling horses that were questionable at loading I'd at least keep open as an option driving 800 miles straight through. If they don't load well, I think the stress of unloading and loading enroute would be harder on them than the longer trailer ride.

A few of years ago we picked up a couple of mares that had been in a broodmare band and not used to trailering, or even being handled much. We didn't have too bad of a time loading them in an open stock trailer. We left them untied and hauled them from central Missouri to Ohio, about 750 miles, making normal stops for gas and eats, but no overnights or unloading. To avoid St. Louis traffic, we loaded up at 11PM and drove all night Incidentally, both mares turned around in the trailer and rode the whole way backwards.

It is illegal in some states to keep a horse on a trailer for more than a certain number of hours. In Mass it is 10 hours, but maybe if you come in from another state with the clock already at 20 you can keep them on for another 9:59:59 ? You can pretty much cross right through Mass in much less than that, so the clock probably starts again when you leave.

If I can get them on the first day it would be my ASSUMPTION that I could get them on the second day, probably with less fuss in less time. If force was used the first day then the second day would probably require more force. I don't do it that way, so the second day is just the next trailer loading lesson. I don't see running continuous as a good alternative for the mid/long term trailering prospect for any horses, but I do know that the big commercial haulers drive right through.
I still think the horses are more likely to sour.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-21 9:08 AM (#45179 - in reply to #45081)

A lot of us frequently haul long stretches without unloading, but our horses are used to it. I have airride on the trailer and foam under the rubber mats and it makes for an easier ride. I think if you stop and let them rest it would make a difference, but I think you are asking for trouble to haul horses long trips without unloading if they are not used to the stress. Too many potential problems, colic, ulcers, impaction, etc. to take the risk.
SkipperW
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-21 10:27 AM (#45184 - in reply to #45081)

Ideally, what you are all saying to do is fine, but we're not talking an ideal situation here.

Ideally, a horse's first trailering experience would not be for a 400 mile or an 800 mile trip, but it is what it is. Even if the horses loaded relatively well, I don't think it's safe to unload a horse that I know very little about in a rest area, truck stop, or a Walmart parking lot to 'rest' him. My point is that if he is a poor loader, I don't think that he would consider that 'rest', particularly if you're taking him out of a trailer you've set up as a box stall with all the comfort you could possibly provide.  

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-21 11:21 AM (#45188 - in reply to #45081)

I thought we were talking about unloding at a boarding stop for the night. I would not unload my well broke roping horses that have been hauled forever at a rest area or roadside stop. Too many idiots around to create problems. The only time mine get off the trailer is when we get where we are going or at a place with stalls or pens. If you just stop the trailer, they can rest plenty without unloading until you can get to a barn or pens. I would not load horses that had never been hauled and haul them 800 miles without rest.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-21 1:48 PM (#45197 - in reply to #45188)

Expert

Originally written by Tx. Vaquero on 2006-07-21 11:21 AM

I thought we were talking about unloding at a boarding stop for the night. I would not unload my well broke roping horses that have been hauled forever at a rest area or roadside stop. Too many idiots around to create problems. The only time mine get off the trailer is when we get where we are going or at a place with stalls or pens. If you just stop the trailer, they can rest plenty without unloading until you can get to a barn or pens. I would not load horses that had never been hauled and haul them 800 miles without rest.

Agreed.
I was ABSOLUTELY NOT suggesting the unloading and re-loading of horses anywhere but at an overnight barn.

Hmmmmm, How do you "re-load a horse" anyway ?
(-:
SkipperW
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-22 8:27 AM (#45232 - in reply to #45081)

Hmmmmm, How do you "re-load a horse" anyway ?
(-:

Hmmmm, don't know about 're-loading a horse', but I do know about 're-reading a post'. If you 're-read', nobody used the term 're-load'. (-:

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-22 9:34 AM (#45236 - in reply to #45081)

Expert

A horse can rest just fine in the trailer when you stop for food/fuel. There is no need to take them out and if the horse wasn't a good citizen-loader, I'd not try it at all. I know this causes alot of concern but i wouldn't tie the heads up either- allow them to lower their heads which helps clear the airways. Shorter trips you can tie but longer, let them go. Like others have said, its not unusual for horses to refuse water while on the road. Some won't even eat. I like to offer some hay but i am not concerned if they don't.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-22 10:33 AM (#45238 - in reply to #45236)

Expert

The only thing I disagree with is not tying. It's way too easy for horses to get into trouble this way, like getting caught with their heads on the other side of the head divider or trying to crawl under the divider. Horse can clear their sinuses just fine while tied. Just look at the head windows of my trailer! YUK!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-22 3:37 PM (#45244 - in reply to #45081)

Expert

Its amazing how we can conjure up all kinds of what ifs....BTW- the advice about not tying for long hauls comes from a veternarian not from me. I do agree ,however, that if you want the horse to be comfortable, not tying is the way to go unless you know you have a real knuckle head on board. In my personal experience, I do not tie and yet they haven't tried to climb over or under anything ( crazy arabs? hardly)
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-22 3:57 PM (#45245 - in reply to #45244)

Expert

They aren't "what ifs". They are actually things that have happened to people that I know. One friend tied her horse too long and her horse got his head bent around the other side of the head divider and was stuck that way. It took opening up the back to give him room enough to get his head straight again. Another friend arrived at her destination with her horse in the other stall of her staight load. He was banged up pretty badly. I also saw a horse that had somehow turned himself totally around in a straight load and was facing backwards when she arrived at the show.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-22 6:52 PM (#45249 - in reply to #45081)

Expert

Sure- and what about all those trips with untied horses where nothing bad happend at all? Do those count? I do not tie when hauling but thats my preference.
TrueColours
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-22 7:40 PM (#45250 - in reply to #45081)

We have 2 weanlings to go to Arizona from Ontario, Canada and if I cant find good, safe, reasonably priced hauling for them I may well hook up my trailer and just take them myself ...

I will have my new Silver Star 2+1 at that time and would intend to give them each a nice box stall, leave them loose and hang buckets for them for water once we got underway and they werent trying to climb out over anything!

The stall dividers go floor to ceiling with grating on top, so no way on earth they could get into any trouble and they could lie down, stand up, turn around and do whatever they draned well pleased in there ...

So - anyone heading out west the end of October that would want to take them instead???!

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-07-23 6:42 AM (#45257 - in reply to #45081)

Expert

If it were me, I'm driving straight through. They can have water while I'm gassing up along with plenty of hay. All the time sitting and resting or boarding overnight......you help yourself. Me, It's hammer down, I'm taking them home, then we'll get out of the trailer and to their new stalls or pasture while you are 400 miles back trying to get them "re-loaded"!!!
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-23 8:43 AM (#45260 - in reply to #45249)

Expert

"Sure- and what about all those trips with untied horses where nothing bad happend at all? Do those count?"I hsve tied my horses for over 25 years and never had a sinus clearing issue, nor have I ever heard or seen a horse that had a problem from this. Does that count? I'm just trying to point out that not tying and tying too long can be dangerous.
Rugby3
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-07-23 9:12 AM (#45261 - in reply to #45260)

Plenty of good reading on this one, I would think it's a short enough distance to drive it straight through. We are in the same predicament, moving to NC but trying to decide whether to hire a hauler or haul them ourselves.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)