'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
If money were no object... luxury living quarters?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-25 2:29 PM
25 replies, 5452 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Nagarus
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 2:27 PM (#44966)
Subject: If money were no object... luxury living quarters?

I'd like to hear from others on opinions on the best combination of both quality trailer manufacturing, including animal safety, and human creature comforts. Also, how about customization? Which manufacturers are most receptive to that - both in the horse and human areas? I would like a 4-horse aluminum trailer with around 14' short wall luxury living quarters. I will be spending quite a bit of time in this trailer and will consider it a "second home." I currently have a 1996 4-H Featherlite with 8' living quarters. and am looking to upgrade to a larger living arrangement with more bells and whistles for extended stays. I've been quite happy with my Featherlite as far as quality construction, but do feel the living quarters are less than what I desire for my current lifestyle. 

Thanks in advance!

Sue 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 3:11 PM (#44971 - in reply to #44966)
Subject: RE: If money were no object... luxury living quarters?

Elite Veteran

You can buy darn near any trailer you want and have a custom conversion company build to suit your needs. As far as trailers, I like Integrity for construction, and 4 Star, C&C, Heart, and Platinum are also nice trailers. As for interiors, I've seen some nice ones, but I think you should do an internet search and look at some of the work the folks have done. Mine was done by LSR in Elkhart, IN but it's pretty straight forward and less than custom. Or you could go to someone like Sundowner and have them build you a custom lq in one of their trailers.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 3:23 PM (#44974 - in reply to #44966)

Extreme Veteran

Sue,

Weclome! If money were no object.. hmmm... I like the LQs that have a couch and the barrel chairs in them. Leather. I think the location of the TV is important so it can be seen from the chairs & the bed. Have to have the large freidge with freezer, lots of hanging and drawers. The sink has to have room in front of it, (the potty not in front of the sink) A good size shower, lots of towel bars in the bathroom along with a linen closet. The largest fresh water & black water tanks that will fit. A large water heater. A good size sink, a recessed cook top w/fold up cover. The auto find satellite for directv, 17 TV screen. Ducted AC & heat. For the horses, 8ft wide, drop windows front & back, insulated roof, and foam mats under the rubber mats. Mangers, and fans install the stalls. Swing out saddle rack & swing out saddle blanket bar in back and a mid-tack, loading lights all around & hay rack.

-Betty
Congress
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 3:56 PM (#44976 - in reply to #44966)

If money were no object I'd first go with air ride axles for the animals then start adding goodies to one of Sundowners custom LQ's or a 4-Star. The best cabnets, spacious fridge & stove, etc.
jasonsthe1
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-18 3:59 PM (#44977 - in reply to #44966)

I would go with something like this   http://www.precisionquarters.net/

Edited by jasonsthe1 2006-07-18 4:05 PM
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 4:49 PM (#44981 - in reply to #44966)

Extreme Veteran

Add a skylight over the bunk that will double as an escape hatch. If you ever have a fire while you're in the bunk...you're toast!

RIDE ON!

Ms. Trailer
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 5:00 PM (#44982 - in reply to #44977)

Regular

Originally written by jasonsthe1 on 2006-07-18 3:59 PM

I would go with something like this   http://www.precisionquarters.net/

Hmm...wasn't this the one you were asking us about a couple months ago? You should have someone look into proofreading that website before doing all of this advertising for them. That seriously says alot about a company. Especially one where attention to detail is so important.

The pictures do look nice, though.

There really are a million and one different ways you can go. If you could possibly wait until Congress, that would be the ultimate place to shop, of course (as I'm sure you know)!

Edited by Ms. Trailer 2006-07-18 6:51 PM
jasonsthe1
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-18 5:19 PM (#44986 - in reply to #44966)

Not everone is perfect, Not even the best. (Hmm...wasn't this the one you were asked us about a couple months ago?)
Ms. Trailer
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-18 6:19 PM (#44990 - in reply to #44966)

Regular

You would think that a website could get spelling, capitalization, and punctuation correct, though. It's something you learn in grade school, and like I said, it also says a lot for the image of a company. Hmm...yes it was, and I see that it still hasn't been changed yet...you might want to take a look at your website...

Edited by Ms. Trailer 2006-07-18 6:52 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 6:51 PM (#44994 - in reply to #44966)

Expert

If money was no object I would get one of those huge toy haulers and have the back end set up for the horses.  I'm sure they could build it strong enough to handle the horses if they had the right incentive$$$$$$$.  That way I could have the RV with all the comforts of home and my horses.
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 11:42 PM (#45009 - in reply to #44966)

Extreme Veteran

Check this one out (They are site sponsers) You can get trailer and LQ from them. Great people, high quality workmanship.  

http://www.whinnycargo.com/

Nagarus
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 9:14 AM (#45033 - in reply to #44966)

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Things have changed quite a bit since I bought my Featherlite ten years ago. LOTS of advances.

In reference to the RV conversion, I knew a lady that used to regularly transport her two horses to competitions in the back of her RV. I was always facinated by that - especially since I don't believe this was a professional conversion. If I am not mistaken, her husband was very handy, and he did the conversion himself. She transported this way for years, and it was apparently very safely done (she was picky about the care of her horses)!

I see a lot of responses from Kentucky folks. Do any of you know if we still have any major manufacturer trailer dealers in Kentucky? I remember we used to have a Sundowner dealer, I believe in Bullitt County, but I no longer see that dealership from I-65 when I pass the area.  

Sue

tumce
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 9:47 AM (#45035 - in reply to #44966)

There are some things that you should know before buying a trailer and a Living Quarters.  First and foremost, if you would like a truely custom LQ you need to have the Trailer built to house it.  It will save you money when putting the LQ in the trailer, because of less labor the LQ company has to endure because of framing being put in the proper locations.  Another MAJOR thing is possibly voiding the warranty on whatever type of trailer you would like to buy.  Some LQ companies are not allowed and or qualified to perform work on some types of trailers.  That is question you should ask the dealer/ manufacturer that you are working with.  Also there are some types of trailers that are more designed/ user friendly towards LQ Companies, the ones that I know of are Stidham, Hart, CM, Integrity.  All of which are nice trailers, it just depends upon what type of trailer you prefer.  I am part of JNJ Conversions & Trailer Sales, and we deal with this type of situation all of the time.  We would enjoy the opportunity to help you in any way that we can, even if you have questions of how different trailer are built, or how LQ's are really put together!  I would recomend looking at the types of trailers that I listed above, in my opinion they are worth looking at!  Please take a look at website, and Like I said I  would love the opportunity to help you any way that I can!  www.jnjconversions.com  ~Good Luck, And I Hope to Hear from you!~

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-07-19 10:30 AM (#45041 - in reply to #44966)

Elite Veteran

I'd get a BLUE MOON trailer of course!!

Edited by Dunoir 2006-07-19 10:31 AM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-07-19 1:43 PM (#45057 - in reply to #44966)

Expert

Money no object, then I would have my "crew" haul the horse to the show and I would show up on my helicopter and spend the nights in a five star hotel. But for now I'll have to make do sleeping in my recliner in the tack room. I've looked at all types of LQ trailers and have not found anything that my old dog bed of a Lazy Boy will fit in with it stretched all the way out. I'm shy one leg and the other one don't work that good. It's all I can do to drag my a$$ into the dressing room let alone climb up on the air matress equipped goosneck. Sorry, I can't help you, luxury and horse poop don't go together........not in my world! Good luck!
Nagarus
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 1:46 PM (#45058 - in reply to #44966)

Nagarus
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 2:07 PM (#45060 - in reply to #45057)

Originally written by retento on 2006-07-19 2:43 PM

Money no object, then I would have my "crew" haul the horse to the show and I would show up on my helicopter and spend the nights in a five star hotel. But for now I'll have to make do sleeping in my recliner in the tack room. I've looked at all types of LQ trailers and have not found anything that my old dog bed of a Lazy Boy will fit in with it stretched all the way out. I'm shy one leg and the other one don't work that good. It's all I can do to drag my a$$ into the dressing room let alone climb up on the air matress equipped goosneck. Sorry, I can't help you, luxury and horse poop don't go together........not in my world! Good luck!

Well, shucks, retento, I don't have a crew to haul my horse, and I don't go to shows with my horses (not for years, anyway). I gave that up in favor of endurance racing. When I did show horses, I trained them, and cleaned up their poop, both inside the trailer and out myself! I do the same for my endurance horses. What shows I do attend happen to be alpaca shows. We have a herd of about 50 and attend some 8-10 alpaca shows around the country each year. My hotel (usually 2-3 star, by the way ;) costs are pretty high once I pay for rooms and meals for both myself, my children and a staff member, so I thought I could put a few extra bucks into a nice living quarters trailer instead of the $6000-$7000 I'm spending a year in hotel costs. An added bonus would be that my accomodations would be on-site - a nice plus considering the very long hours alpaca shows entail.

One of the reasons I ask about customization is just not solely for the living quarters -- though I still want the bells and whistles in those - perhaps even a Lazyboy! I'm a bit curious about what manufacturers will build a custom trailer from scratch. Right now, I have two trailers - one for the alpacas, and one for horses. I'd like to scale that down to just one trailer, but it might be nice to have some customization done by the manufacturer in the form of removable horse panels that can be replaced with panels suitable for alpacas. We also have our 4-Star stock combo upgraded with full insulation, an air conditioner, fans and pull-out vents (like you usually see in the roofs of horse trailers) low- at face level for the alpacas. I'll need these features incorporated into my new trailer, if in fact I can pull off the feat of having just one trailer. 

Naturally, money is always an object, but the subject title does express my interest in wanting high quality and creature comforts. By the way, anybody know of a manufacturer that installs helicopter landing pads atop luxury living quarters horse trailers?

Nagarus
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 2:09 PM (#45061 - in reply to #45041)

Originally written by Dunoir on 2006-07-19 11:30 AM

I'd get a BLUE MOON trailer of course!!

Hee-hee.... don't we all. Now that's a trailer that deserves a helicopter strapped to it's roof.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-07-19 3:16 PM (#45069 - in reply to #44966)

Expert

Naguras. You find "that trailer" you're looking, have it built to the max, with room for that helicopter pad and the Lazy Boy and let me take a look at it and that "company/dealer" you buy from may end up selling two of them. I need something to haul the horses every week, to somewhere and an antique tractor six or five times a year. It's nice to be at a show and wake up in the mornings 50' from your horses rather than 6-10 miles away. All that travel to and from the motel/hotel eats away at my SLEEPY TIME!
wall
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-23 8:22 AM (#45259 - in reply to #44966)

New User

I''m sure most large trailer companies will built what you want.Contact a Sooner dealer and have them contact Lonny at Sooner and he'll build whatever you want.

dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-23 9:31 AM (#45262 - in reply to #44966)

Regular

I just bought a C&C and they made it to my specifications.  Custom to the point of taking away inches from one place and adding to another.  They offered options as far as type of dividers and type of ramps and doors.  My cost for the trailer was around the same amount of a few other trailers I had priced out including 4 star custom, dream coach custom, sundowner line made, featherlite line made and sooner line made.  I found that the line made trailers you can get slightly lower cost but they charge out the wazoo when you go to changing things.  So those that say custom is a whole lot more expensive, it is not what I found in my trailer buying experience.

The only downside is that C&C themselves does not do the inside of living quarters.  They will brace for everything needced in the places you state, but to complete the inside you can get it sent to one of the conversion companies from them and pick your trailer up from there.  My dealer arranged for everything on the new trailer my friend custom ordered and she just went and picked the trailer up totally turnkey complete from him.  My trailer is waiting for the living quarters area because I want kind of an unusual set up and have a local guy that is going to do it. 

lily4
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-24 8:54 AM (#45310 - in reply to #44966)

I did alot of research awhile back looking for my perfect trailer.  I ended up with a Featherlite and I love it!  They were really open to any customizing I wanted to do.  Since this was my first brand new trailer, I did end up going with one of their standard models to keep the price lower, but they said they can do just about anything you'd ever want.  Plus they do their own living quarters at the same factory the trailers are built.
theorangehorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-24 7:43 PM (#45342 - in reply to #44966)

Featherlite makes some really beautiful motorhomes-I assume they could do some great LQ's as well.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-24 8:28 PM (#45349 - in reply to #45342)

Extreme Veteran

If money were no object I would get a Prevost Motor home and a nice 3 H bumper with a extra room to haul a Harley. Just Dreaming!!
JR Interiors, Inc
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-25 11:21 AM (#45378 - in reply to #44966)

New User

Hey Sue,

We do install custom living quarters and most of our living quarters are in Featherlites.  We work with the largest Featherlite dealerships in the world, Don Johnson Trailer Sales, Inc. in Walla Walla, WA. http://www.thetrailerplace.com/

I would love to talk to more about your ideas, please contact us at http://www.jr-interiors.com/ or Don Johnson Trailer Sales, Inc.

Sincerely,

Jim

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World