'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brenderup trailers
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-20 12:51 PM
118 replies, 21733 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh Frozen
Message format

majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-11 12:36 PM (#44426)
Subject: Brenderup trailers

Hello everyone.  I am new to this forum and really new to horse trailering.  I am think about buying a Brenderup.  I was wondering if anyone has a Brenderup and what they think of them.  They seem very nice and although more pricey they seem to give you more vehicle options.

Is it really feasible to pull these with a mid-sized truck (or minivan)?  They show them being pulled by stationwagons on the informational DVD. 

Any opinion is welcome.

Thanks

Amy

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-07-11 1:09 PM (#44427 - in reply to #44426)
Subject: RE: Brenderup trailers

Elite Veteran

Ah gee not again - This topic must come up at least once a month. I knowyou're new, but it would really help if you did a search and see all the responses.  People seem to either love em or hate.

Morgan
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-11 1:10 PM (#44428 - in reply to #44426)

Never owned or pulled one, but last week I visited a trailer dealer in TN while on vacation. He happened to have a used Brender on his lot sitting next to a new Merhow. I was there to check out the Merhow. But curiosity got me and I looked in.

They were sitting side by side in the hot sun, 90+ degrees that afternoon. The Merhow was very hot inside, has an aluminum roof I think. The Brender, fiberglass composite of some sort, was as cool as a cucumber! A big difference! Dont know what model or anything but it was huge inside.

Still cannot picture towing one behind my truck, my hubby didn't even know what it was and laughed at it, but I was impressed.

I am also curious now as to what others have to say about your questions on its towing and safety?

Morgan
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-11 1:11 PM (#44429 - in reply to #44426)

Sorry, guess we should do a search on old topics.
majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-11 1:14 PM (#44432 - in reply to #44427)

So do you have an opinion about the trailer?  Love or hate?  Thanks for the advice, I will look in the archives.  But in addition, maybe some one else that is new will be able to help.

Thanks again,

Amy

majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-11 1:18 PM (#44433 - in reply to #44429)

I did a search and came up with the posts from today and a post about a trailer accident that had nothing to do with Brenderup trailers.  Maybe I am searching in the wrong place.  Anyone have suggestions?
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-07-11 1:20 PM (#44434 - in reply to #44426)

Elite Veteran

Two friends of mine have them and one is on her 2nd one.  Both are very happy with them.  Here's my take:

They have large room stalls as my former QH who was 15.3, long bodied, and 1400 lbs had plenty of room when I loaded him up one day in it.

They can be pulled with a lightweight vehicle as one uses a trailblazer and the other used to use a Dodge Caravan (not the real big ones), but now uses her RV van.

They hold their resale value very well.  My friend Susan bought a 1984 one for $4,000 that was rebuilt and sold it in 2005 for $4,000!  And she had several people wanting to buy it.

However, the walls are thin fiberglass and I wonder if it would really hold up in an accident. 

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-11 1:28 PM (#44436 - in reply to #44426)

Expert

I looked at them years ago.  The biggest drawback was cost.  They were / are expensive compared to a conventional trailer.  They fill a narrow need.  People that don't want a truck and don't need more area than their "dressing" room.

We wanted to camp with our horses, so chose a truck & GN trailer.

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-07-11 1:35 PM (#44437 - in reply to #44433)

Regular

Originally written by majoras on 2006-07-11 1:18 PM

I did a search and came up with the posts from today and a post about a trailer accident that had nothing to do with Brenderup trailers.  Maybe I am searching in the wrong place.  Anyone have suggestions?

Just did a search using "Brenderup" and came up with a ton of stuff.  Don't limit it by date.  Also, there is a good review of them at mrtruck.com I believe.  From what I've read, they do a good job at filling a specific need, e.g. small tow vehicle to transport one or two horses safely.

majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-11 1:58 PM (#44440 - in reply to #44437)

Thanks to all.  I think I am in that narrow need group.  I don't want to invest (at least not yet) in a large vehicle that can pull a bigger trailer and I don't see that changing right now.  I have two small children that take up a lot of time and I am the only horse person (husband is not interested).  So I would be trailering a lot by myself and not really camping just yet.

I will re-search the archives and not limit the date. 

To Morgan, which TN dealer had a used one?  I am in Nashville.

Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-11 3:27 PM (#44442 - in reply to #44426)

Regular

I don't own a Brenderup, nor have I towed one, so take my advice with that in mind.

I have seen the Brenderup debate many times. There are typically two people in the argument.

The first are people who have owned Brenderups and like them, and then there are the people who have never owned them but hate them, usually because of a perceived lack of safety. I have never heard an actual owner say a negative thing about the performance of the trailers. I have seen owners report needing to upgrade to a larger trailer for more horses or a larger dressing room or whatever, but never a negative first-hand report. If there are non-satisfied owners here, please speak up!

As for what vehicle you tow with, I would caution you to go by the tow vehicles towing ratings first and foremost! If you are ever in an accident and you have exceeded your Gross Combined Weight Rating, you could be in big trouble. Brenderup may list that you only need 125hp and a wheelbase of XX, but the cold reality is it is the tow vehicles ratings that dictate what can be towed, at least from a legal sense.

If you have a 1600 pound Brenderup trailer, and two 1000 pund horses, and 300 pounds of gear, you still need a vehicle that is rated to tow 3,900 pounds!! Some Mini-vans would be rated for that much, many would not.

Good Luck in your search, and please report back with whatever you end up with. There are many newbies like me who appreciate the info.

-Flush

Edited by Flush 2006-07-11 3:28 PM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-07-11 4:55 PM (#44444 - in reply to #44426)

Expert

hello i have never owned one brenderup but i know so one who did and there were happy with it as long as they did short trips- but when they did long trips with it the trailer could not go fast just 50mph. on an long trip that is hard they move up to a sundowner just though you should know good luck
Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-11 5:07 PM (#44445 - in reply to #44444)

Regular

Originally written by loveduffy on 2006-07-11 4:55 PM

hello i have never owned one brenderup but i know so one who did and there were happy with it as long as they did short trips- but when they did long trips with it the trailer could not go fast just 50mph. on an long trip that is hard they move up to a sundowner just though you should know good luck

Loveduffy, could you elaborate why the trailer could only go 50mph (I am interested in B-Ups too)? Is it not stable above that speed?  Are you saying with the same truck they where able to go faster with a larger Sundowner trailer? Or for long distance they used a bigger truck/trailer setup.

I've never heard that rumor before, and frankly unless you have more firsthand info, I'm going to leave it in the non-owner rumor category. Brenderup doesn't list a 50mph max limit that I am aware of.

Thanks,

Flush

TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-11 6:14 PM (#44448 - in reply to #44426)

I have a Brenderup.  I am selling it now, because I am moving up to the next bigger model.  I love my trailer!  I dno't know why someone would only drive 50 with it, I've gone 80 downhill in mine (not on purpose, just not paying attention!) fully loaded.   And do 65-70 regularly.  We've gone over mountains, through mud, slammed on brakes, nothing phases this trailer. Popped a tire once and didn't even know until I got home.

I pull it with my old Astrovan. I'm going to retire it one day and get a converitble and tow with that.  Also, my husband has a truck, so if my van is ever in the shop and I need to go, I just hook up to his truck and take off. 

As far as being able to tow more than the car is rated for, that's because the trailers only have 3% weight on the tongue.  I can move it around myself, so how hard can it be for a car? American trailers are 12%.  In Europe, the same car will be rated for more towing capacity than the same car in America, because they pull these kinds of trailers there, with cars. They are engineered completly different than American trailers, that's why they seem so weird. But it does work. 

Lily

Edited by TwoAppys 2006-07-11 6:16 PM
Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-11 6:38 PM (#44449 - in reply to #44448)

Regular

Originally written by TwoAppys on 2006-07-11 6:14 PM

As far as being able to tow more than the car is rated for, that's because the trailers only have 3% weight on the tongue.  I can move it around myself, so how hard can it be for a car? American trailers are 12%.  In Europe, the same car will be rated for more towing capacity than the same car in America, because they pull these kinds of trailers there, with cars. They are engineered completly different than American trailers, that's why they seem so weird. But it does work. 

Lily

TwoAppys,

Thanks for replying, the info is appreciated. As I suspected there is no generic 50mph limit with Brenderups.

As for the weight, while I'm sure the lower tongue weight does make a much smaller vehicle able to pull a Brenderup, that still doesn't make it legal. Tongue weight is only one factor. Trailer brakes can and do fail. If a Honda Civic (which BTW meets Brenderups HP and wheelbase requirements!) is suddenly asked to stop 4,000lbs of trailer it is going to be in a lot more trouble than a vehlice that is rated to tow 4,000lbs.

Its good to know the Brenderups are so easy to pull, but again IMHO your are being very careless with the lives of others on the road if you intentionally exceed your tow ratings by a factor of 3, which you may do if you only follow Brenderups guidelines.

-Flush

Edited by Flush 2006-07-11 6:40 PM
TwoAppys
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-11 8:02 PM (#44452 - in reply to #44426)

Hi,

The difference in braking is kind of explained like this.  With a regular trailer, you need a big truck to stop the trailer.  In a Brenderup, the trailer stops the trailer. In emergency times, it has even stopped my car.  When I almost hit the deer, that trailer stopped me in time from hitting it. It feels like a parachute back there.  It never, ever pushes on your car.  It takes no more to stop a fully loaded brenderup than stopping your car as you drive down the street towing nothing at all. That's what it feels like anyway.  Even downhill. Even anything.  It's great!  In fact there are hills around town that if I coast down them with the trailer loaded, I will be going slower at the bottom of the hill.  Without ever hitting the brake!

Lily

tobruk
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-11 9:53 PM (#44454 - in reply to #44426)

Veteran

majoras,  ck your pm's.
Morgan
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 3:19 AM (#44457 - in reply to #44440)

I seen it in the Knoxville paper/classifieds. I think his name was Toubruk or something like that. Ran a small business right off I-40 east of the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg exit, maybe 15minutes?

It was a nice trailer, big and roomy with a large area in front of horse for tack. Used and older but did not notice anything wrong with it.

majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 9:29 AM (#44469 - in reply to #44454)

Originally written by tobruk on 2006-07-11 9:53 PM

majoras,  ck your pm's.

Sorry, what does this mean? I am not very good with lingo.  It took me forever to figure out what LOL meant.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-12 9:35 AM (#44470 - in reply to #44469)

Expert

Originally written by majoras on 2006-07-12 8:29 AM

majoras,  ck your pm's.

Sorry, what does this mean? I am not very good with lingo.  It took me forever to figure out what LOL meant.

Tobruk has sent you a Private Message through this forum's sytem.   At the top of this page look for: (You have to be logged into this forum to see this)

There are 1 new messages in your inbox

"Click" on  your "inbox" to read it.

majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 10:04 AM (#44472 - in reply to #44470)

Originally written by hosspuller on 2006-07-12 9:35 AM

Originally written by majoras on 2006-07-12 8:29 AM

majoras,  ck your pm's.

Tobruk has sent you a Private Message through this forum's sytem.   At the top of this page look for: (You have to be logged into this forum to see this)

There are 1 new messages in your inbox

"Click" on  your "inbox" to read it.

Thanks, I did finally figure that out.  I am so out of touch with technology etc.  Embarassing really.
Thanks again.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-12 10:12 AM (#44473 - in reply to #44452)

Expert

Originally written by TwoAppys on 2006-07-11 8:02 PM

Hi,

The difference in braking is kind of explained like this. With a regular trailer, you need a big truck to stop the trailer. In a Brenderup, the trailer stops the trailer. In emergency times, it has even stopped my car. When I almost hit the deer, that trailer stopped me in time from hitting it. It feels like a parachute back there. It never, ever pushes on your car. It takes no more to stop a fully loaded brenderup than stopping your car as you drive down the street towing nothing at all. That's what it feels like anyway. Even downhill. Even anything. It's great! In fact there are hills around town that if I coast down them with the trailer loaded, I will be going slower at the bottom of the hill. Without ever hitting the brake!

Lily

NOT so.
With a "regular" trailer the trailer's brakes stop the trailer, the truck's brakes stop the truck. In any case other than that the controller has not been set up properly and/or there is a malfunction that needs to be corrected.
Similarly any condition in which the trailer is dragging the tow vehicle to slow it down is an unbalanced (and probably dangerous) arrangement. The trailer should NOT be contributing ANY braking to the tow vehicle.

I just *_HOPE_* this isn't characteristic of all B'Up trailers )-:
majoras
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 10:12 AM (#44474 - in reply to #44472)

OK,

All the chat about whether or not you can or can't exceed a towing limit and laws etc is getting very confusing.

First of all, I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna minivan with a towing package that says my towing limit is 3500 lbs.  I have a 14.3 HH no more than 950 lbs Arab/Saddlebred + 100-200 lbs of other stuff, tack, supplies etc.  Can anyone tell me if any of the Brenderups would work for this car.  I think our next vehicle will be a mid-size truck (V8 or something) but for now I need to make the van work, or stay at the barn and ride the same loop over and over.  Both the horse and I are getting bored with that option.

Also, if anyone could explain the different weight ratings for vehicles.  Towing rate. GVW, GVWR etc that would be helpful.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-12 10:17 AM (#44475 - in reply to #44474)

Expert

Originally written by majoras on 2006-07-12 10:12 AM

OK,
All the chat about whether or not you can or can't exceed a towing limit and laws etc is getting very confusing.
First of all, I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna minivan with a towing package that says my towing limit is 3500 lbs. I have a 14.3 HH no more than 950 lbs Arab/Saddlebred + 100-200 lbs of other stuff, tack, supplies etc. Can anyone tell me if any of the Brenderups would work for this car. I think our next vehicle will be a mid-size truck (V8 or something) but for now I need to make the van work, or stay at the barn and ride the same loop over and over. Both the horse and I are getting bored with that option.
Also, if anyone could explain the different weight ratings for vehicles. Towing rate. GVW, GVWR etc that would be helpful.

The answers to your questions are in old posts, it would be faster for you to search for them than for us to retype them.
3500 is about what my Jamco trailer weighs with 1 small'ish horse in it.
If you're within 600lbs of the limit things are marginal, you'd be better off waiting until you get the truck and can pull a full sized trailer.
Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-12 11:04 AM (#44476 - in reply to #44475)

Regular

Majoras,

Brenderup 2 horse trailers weigh from roughly 1500-2000 pounds. Assuming you have 1150pounds of horses and gear, you should be below your max tow rating (although not by much, depending on if you get their heavy trailer and take lots of "Stuff" like water). From a purely numbers standpoint, you should be below your limit. Many say because horses are live moving cargo, you need to derate your max. limit. This is probably good advice in the cautious sense, but there is no magic derating number (some say you should only go to 75% of max) that you MUST follow. It's just a rule of thumb some like to follow.

If you pulled two horses, you would most certainly exceed your tow rating. This is where it gets a little confusing. According to Brenderup's info, you could pull two horses with your Minivan, according to Toyotas ratings, you could not. From a legal standpoint, if you exceed Toyota's tow rating you could be in trouble. Honestly I don't know if the "law" would ever come after you for exceeding your tow rating (GCWR actually) even in a accident, but I would not want to find out.

Whether or not you would be comfortable with this setup, even with one horse regardless if it is legal, is another matter that can't be answered on a forum. Things like driving experience/skill, terrain, condition of the vehicle, etc... all come into play. Some people would say you can NEVER tow even one horse with a mini-van, others (like TwoAppys for example) will say even two horses in a Brenderup with a MV is no problem.

From a ratings standpoint, you appear okay (with a little margin) with one horse. If you could somehow do a "test pull" of the empty trailer first, followed by pulling the horse that is probably the only way you would know for sure how it will work for you.

Good Luck,

Flush

P.S. GVWR, GCWR, and all that stuff is somewhat complicated. Try searching here, or on the web if you really want to understand it. For your bumper-pull setup, what you really need to worry about is you max. tow rating (which you know)  and your tongue weight. Since Brenderup's have extremely low tongue weights, you would also be fine in the tongue weight department. If you went to a non-Brenderup trailer that may not be the case. If you have a specific questing regarding that stuff, just ask.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)