'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse falls out of trailer - true or urban legend ?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-17 11:07 PM
37 replies, 8552 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-03 11:25 AM (#41246)
Subject: Horse falls out of trailer - true or urban legend ?

Expert

I'm starting to see people I havn't seen all winter, Spring is like that.
Some of this is good, some less so.
I've heard from more than one about a trailer accident in which a horse that was not tied somehow fell/stumbled against the rear door(s), which sprang open. The horse popped out, the driver didn't notice (hard to believe) until they got home and went to unload the trailer. It survived for a while, but keeled over and died some time later.

I have NO recollection of reading about this over the winter and I do follow quite a few horse sites. So, anyone have a lead on this (old) news item ?
Supposedly this happened somewhere in the North East, though as news and rumors travel they sometimes actually Move their point of origin (-:

Edited by Reg 2006-05-03 11:29 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
kentuckydiesel
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-03 12:04 PM (#41247 - in reply to #41246)
Subject: RE: Horse falls out of trailer - true or urban legend ?

I'm sure it has happened many times. 

It's common to hear of horses falling through floors of old trailers in disrepair, and I have heard quite a few stories of horses coming out of trailers over the top of the rear ramp when someone had the top doors open.

Bad things can happen, make sure your trailer is safe.

-Phillip

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-03 12:18 PM (#41249 - in reply to #41246)

Extreme Veteran

A guy that has a horse camp near where I grew up had this happen.  He was in a hurry while loading horses, and didn't close the back gate of the trailer.  He dragged a horse for a few miles before noticing.  Pretty stupid.  This is not the story Reg is referring to, but one of hundreds, I am sure.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 12:43 PM (#41250 - in reply to #41246)

Expert

Reg, I'd say it's urban legend. It seems that the internet is a breeding ground for stories like this. It would be a good one to tell around the campfire after a few cold drinks though. I think these stories pop up about every 5 years takes that long before the last set of non-believers travels on.
kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 12:53 PM (#41253 - in reply to #41246)

True. 1984-ish, but true

My trainer and I were hauling a weanling to the vet, in a stock type trailer. He was tied, in the rear section, the mid gate was shut. The rear door latch was the kind you close while standing behind/beside the driver's side rear tire, and you 'snug' the latch bar in behind a 'catch' that has a lip on it. The lip is designed to keep that bar from just working up and slipping out. Unfortunately, somewhere on the long, bumpy, chert-rock driveway, that latch bounced out/past the shallow lip. She only drove maybe a 1/4 mile on the paved road, then she saw the rear gate swing into view on her side mirrror/passenger mirror.

The colt had fallen out, and ruined both hind legs, his fore legs were still in the trailer. The owner was a vet - he was nearby- he came right away and put the colt down.

So, I'm sorry that I know this first hand, but it is true.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-03 1:05 PM (#41255 - in reply to #41246)

Expert

I agree, unfortunately it probably HAS happened many times.
I was looking for this SPECIFIC instance.
BTW the folk who asked me about it aren't heavily into web surfing in search of doom & gloom, just ordinary regular folk. I'll scour (some of) the other bulletin boards and newsgroups.

tnx,
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 2:01 PM (#41259 - in reply to #41255)

Veteran

It happened to a friend of mine about 3 years ago.  He had a two-horse straight load trailer he had borrowed, the trailer was an older trailer but in good repair, he was hauling his horse that has always been a perfect hauler.  The horse had been hauled many times in the trailer.

He was driving down the 91 freeway here in SoCal when his horse went ballistic and started kicking the back door.  My friend slowed down and was trying to get over to the side of the road to see what the problem was when he saw the horse fall out of the back of the trailer (he said he was going about 30-35mph at the time).   Fortunately, most of the cars on the freeway had time to stop, so the horse wasn't hit, which is amazing if you've ever traveled westbound on the 91 freeway in Norco around 4pm on a Tuesday. 

With traffic pretty much stopped, the horse got up and started trotting between cars.  It took awhile to catch the horse, because of "help" from non-horse people who thought the best way to catch the horse was to run up to it, rather than walking quietly.   He put the horse back in the trailer on the undamaged side and drove the 50 miles home.  His vet met him at his house and determined that the horse had no serious injuries, lots of cuts and bruises, but fortunately, nothing that wouldn't heal.

A couple notes: The horse was not tied and the trailer did not have a but bar or chain, the horse's kicking bent the back door so much that the latch failed.  My friend suspects that either the horse was stung by something or that someone threw something in the back of the trailer.  Since then the horse has hauled quietly, as he always had before, except that my friend only hauls him in his slant load trailers now.  I saw the bent door, it was a heavy door, definitely not flimsy, I would never have imagined a horse could have bent it so quickly, with just a few kicks

Edited by RoperChick 2006-05-03 4:01 PM
halfpass
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 2:16 PM (#41262 - in reply to #41246)

It absolutely happened in N W Florida in a three horse gooseneck Bee / K&K Quest model. I personally know the dealer that sold the trailer to the gentleman. There was a pin latch, spring system that made it seem as if the door was closed when slammed. It sounded closed, but it those two pins didn't seat all of the way it wasn't. Well you guessed it. The quarter horse in the last stall came out with his head still tied and it dragged him to death while on his way to a trail ride in Marianna, FL. I'm not sure how soon the owner knew about it. The dealer (now retired) was of course devastated as he is a horse lover. This was in 04 and I'm sure it's happened before.We also know a lady whose horse popped through a rotted floor, but she was miraculously just turning into her driveway! Had it happened an hour sooner, she would have been in a mess. Check, check and check again...has to be like a "pre-flight" I guess.
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 3:18 PM (#41264 - in reply to #41246)

Veteran

I can go with a horse falling out of a trailer. However, I find it hard to believe that dragging a horse would not cause a "normal" rope or trailer tie to break. How many of us have had a horse pull back on a trailer tie and break the rope, hook, or the tie ring. I just can believe that dragging a full sized horse down the road it its butt or legs with 1200 pounds of weight pulling at the attachement point would not instantly snap. The colt I might go with but not a full sized horse.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-03 3:45 PM (#41265 - in reply to #41264)

Expert

Originally written by barry on 2006-05-03 4:18 PM

I can go with a horse falling out of a trailer. However, I find it hard to believe that dragging a horse would not cause a "normal" rope or trailer tie to break. How many of us have had a horse pull back on a trailer tie and break the rope, hook, or the tie ring. I just can believe that dragging a full sized horse down the road it its butt or legs with 1200 pounds of weight pulling at the attachement point would not instantly snap. The colt I might go with but not a full sized horse.

Well, once he's down if that rope is still holding it will probably hold as his legs and butt slide out and drag. The halter should give way LONG before that anyway - err, hopefully not all nylon without a leather brow band.

I use the velcro breakaway ties, I think I've only ever had a horse break one apart once. I've been looking over my trailers again today, they both have ramps and butterfly latches on each side. There are SUBSTANTIAL butt bars (straight load trailers) but I still keep thinking about the wrecking ball potential of a 1/2 or 3/4 ton animal. They both have solid top half doors that also latch over the ramp with butterfly latches.

Right now I'm wondering what else I can do, how else I can make things less failure prone, error or idiot proof, etc. I have only hauled lose when I've made a box stall in the front of the big trailer, pipe gate and 18 ft to the rear ramp.
More idiot proofing only attracts bigger idiots, etc., so I don't want to go TOO far with this (-:
halfpass
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 4:50 PM (#41267 - in reply to #41264)

I guess that's a good reason to steer away from the nylon halters. I guess it wouldn't take long for a horse to just have only his back legs out of the trailer and dragging to be mortally wounded. Some of the lead ropes I use with bull snaps are pretty heavy duty. I guess they only break when you don't want them too!!!
RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-03 7:58 PM (#41274 - in reply to #41267)

Veteran

Wow!

:knight:

roll on

Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 9:16 PM (#41277 - in reply to #41246)

I bought a mare who, along w/ one of her trailer mates, fell out of a moving trailer when the single rear stock door was not latched.  The third horse never fell or jumped out and arrived home 25 miles away with no problems.  The mares that fell out had left saddled for the ride home.  While the saddles (roping) were destroyed they saved the mares backs.  Both mares were shocky and needed IV drips along w/ treatment for deep cuts and scrapes.   They were lucky mares in that neither had a broken bone.  The person who saw the girls tumble out said the rig was going about 30 mph when it happened as they were leaving a night time roping.

Lesson to be learned- always walk around the trailer one last time before putting the truck in drive.  

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-05-04 5:25 AM (#41283 - in reply to #41246)

Expert

This has to be where the unlucky folks hang out, to have this many cases of horses falling out of trailers.
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-04 6:05 AM (#41285 - in reply to #41246)

Extreme Veteran

My uncle turned a two horse straight load trailer over twice with a horse in side horse was not tied. The horse did not come out either. A month later horse was back in another trailer and doing fine. Luck I guess.
kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-05-04 10:07 AM (#41292 - in reply to #41246)

LOL, I don't tie mine anymore- they have on halters and sometimes their leadropes on in case we get in a pickle, but they aren't tied. They ride with their jail-bars up all the time to no ropes are going to slip out. My current trailer has the typical rear cam latches, and I do snap them shut with a snap so they can't rattle open.
kentuckydiesel
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-06 10:49 PM (#41377 - in reply to #41246)

My horse doesn't ride in trailers without butt bars.

As far as not tying, that's a bad idea.  a horse can often turn around, get it's head under a bar, or many other dangerous things.  Horses in trailers get leather halters and strong nylon ties with quick release snaps.    -Phillip 

gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-08 8:22 AM (#41421 - in reply to #41246)

Veteran

short and sweet had a friend going to rodeo in noth ga mare fell out of stock trailer another friend came by saw here grazing on side of road picked her up and they win money on her that night this is true i was there
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-08 8:55 AM (#41424 - in reply to #41283)

Expert

Originally written by HWBar on 2006-05-04 6:25 AM

This has to be where the unlucky folks hang out, to have this many cases of horses falling out of trailers.

Yes, but I think it is worth studying some cases in the hope of preventing more. I try not to be TOO paranoid about these things, or I'd never get within 100 yards of a horse or trailer, but I'm at least conscious of Murphy's first Law, "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."
It seems to take some (more than one) things in combination to cause accidents, most of them could have been avoided, etc.
Every one of these stories has a cause, probably several contributing factors - and COULD HAVE BEEN avoided.

I guess I'm reflecting on "luck", "lucky", "unlucky", etc.
We can do a LOT to keep the odds in our favor (our = humans' + horses').
I'm thinking through what I can do with my rigs and methods/routines/checks, etc.

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-05-08 1:14 PM (#41452 - in reply to #41246)

Veteran

I totally agree with Phillip on his reasons for not tying in the trailer!!!  I untied my gelding yesterday, and he got eager to get out, turned his head and nearly got himself stuck! (sland load and 2 year old horse).  I always tie my horses!!!  Too many chances to get them hurt if they can move their heads around. 

Now if I just remember to keep him tied until I get to his head!

Diane

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-08 4:41 PM (#41465 - in reply to #41246)

Expert

I have no doubt that bad things ,like horses falling and or getting out while traveling, have happened but mostly these stories always seem to start out as " I heard about....." or "someone said they hear about..." generally, my guess is the story started as true then got exaggerated as time went on. We can only do the best we can and hope for the best. As far as tying vs not tying, to each their own. I don't tie nor do I use leg wraps. Does this make me a bad person? Nope anymore than it makes those who do a better person...

Reg- never heard of the incident you described but I am not suprised. With everything else going on in the world, a horse accident isn't big news....

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-05-08 5:08 PM (#41467 - in reply to #41246)

Expert

I don't tie, and no amount of preaching will convince me to tie. I want my horse to be able to get back up if he were to fall. I drop the window and put a lead on him before I open his divider. If I am in a strait load or stock same thing I put a lead on him before opening the gate. I always make my horses back out of a trailer, nothing more dangerous than a horse trying to turn around when he don't need to. I have hauled alot of horses for friends, they will all back out when asked to. Yes even little princess with the head guard and leg wraps will back out of the trailer when she is asked to do so. Back to the original post and responses to it, It just seems like alot of folks on this site have alot of bad luck hauling horses. I team rope with lots of different folks and we trail ride in Indiana and Mo. I bet I don't know one person who has lost a horse out of the back of a trailer. And this thread so far has talked about a half dozen that have done so.
mkl
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-09 11:17 AM (#41497 - in reply to #41246)

Horses will do crazy things no matter what boudaries we set for them.  A horse I hauled a couple of years ago in a 4H straight load started out tied in the rear driver side.  Three hours later at a rest stop he was still tied but facing backwards stradling a 4-wheeler in the center aisle.  I had two other people in the truck with me and no one felt anything unusual either. 

Farmbabe, I only wrap if they are already set-up on the way home and in 18 years of horse shows and travel I have only had one injury (a kick to the hock from another horse in a slant).

To each his own....

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-05-09 11:49 AM (#41500 - in reply to #41246)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry, this is off topic, but......A dear friend of mine packed for days getting ready for a camping trip. Truck ready, trailer clean and ready, horse clean, conditioned and ready, double and triple checking to be sure she was hooked up safely. You get the picture. We've all been there. As she was rounding the final bend out of her place, she looked back at her trailer, and in the distance saw her horse still standing tied at the wash rack, looking puzzled I'm sure. Good thing she discovered it before she made the 100+ miles to camp! I guess the message is that we all make mistakes and accidents do happen. Hers was luckily without injury and kept us in stitches at camp. This happened about 20 years ago and we still tease her about it, of course.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-09 12:50 PM (#41503 - in reply to #41246)

Expert

Does this mean we should start adding "load the horse" on to the lst?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)