'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Exiss versus Silver Star???

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-20 5:17 PM
28 replies, 7233 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TrueColours
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-11 1:17 PM (#40259)
Subject: Exiss versus Silver Star???

I am looking to purchase a new Exiss or Silver Star 2+1 trailer .

The features are all the same - they are virtually the identical trailer with just quite a price difference between them ...

Is the Silver Star a nice trailer for the money and comparing apples to apples WITHOUT a price difference at all, which is the better built trailer and why?

many thanks everyone!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-04-11 2:07 PM (#40267 - in reply to #40259)
Subject: RE: Exiss versus Silver Star???

Extreme Veteran

apples to apples, Silver Star is more comparable to 4 Star.

Of the two in question?  The Silver Star.

Downthealley
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-04-13 6:06 PM (#40394 - in reply to #40259)

Juicy

I know too many people that have had MANY problems with the Exiss trailers. Even the dealer they got it at, after taking it in for many problems, said that the Exiss trailers arent made to be hauled/used to go up and down the road very much.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-13 7:38 PM (#40396 - in reply to #40259)

Expert

Originally written by TrueColours on 2006-04-11 2:17 PM

I am looking to purchase a new Exiss or Silver Star 2+1 trailer .

The features are all the same - they are virtually the identical trailer with just quite a price difference between them ...

Is the Silver Star a nice trailer for the money and comparing apples to apples WITHOUT a price difference at all, which is the better built trailer and why?

many thanks everyone!

Hi and Welcome to the Fun Room.

I looked at a Silver Star a couple of months ago, there were a couple of unusual features that I really liked. One was a divider that was on a continuous track, so it could be locked almost anywhere. It also seemed to be very well constructed. I think that was a 2 straight + a lot of front space that could be used for carts, or repartitioned for tack, feed, cowboy shower, etc.

I wouldn't put Exiss in the same class; construction, features, or just general "design completedness" (if that is a valid word, if not - it should be).

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-04-13 7:49 PM (#40397 - in reply to #40259)

Expert

I own a Exiss and that baby has been used alot...it been a very good trailer for me........
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-13 7:58 PM (#40399 - in reply to #40259)

Extreme Veteran

I have to step in on this one and say that every Exiss owner that I have met has said nothing but good things about their trailers. That is what pulled me towards purchasing the Exiss Event I currently have. I have been very happy with mine. I see many Exiss trailers on the road over the Silver Star brand, being because the Exiss is just more popular in this area and very few of the other brand are found in this state. I think they are more common out west? I looked at the SilverStar trailers down at the Congress show in Ohio and I thought they were a nice trailer and yes some of their features were comparable to a 4Star but I didn't notice quite the  price difference between it and an Exiss?

The baloney about 'Exiss trailers arent made to be hauled/used to go up and down the road very much'. One person makes that up and then everyone believes it, like fueling a fire. So to each his own. I am sure you will find the right trailer for you and your horses

SkipperW
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-13 8:21 PM (#40400 - in reply to #40259)

We're in the same boat as you are, still looking. It seems to me that the Silver Star has many features standard that would be upgrades on the Exiss. One biggie is the insulated roof in the horse area. I think it seemed better built overall than the entry level (Sport) Exiss as well.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-14 1:30 AM (#40409 - in reply to #40259)

Expert

My buddy is a horse hauler.Said he see's more Exiss then anything else out there.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-14 7:36 AM (#40413 - in reply to #40409)

Expert

Originally written by hounddog on 2006-04-14 2:30 AM

My buddy is a horse hauler.Said he see's more Exiss then anything else out there.

I see more KIAs than Mercedes, I think that doesn't say anything about their relative construction or value (-:
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-14 5:40 PM (#40446 - in reply to #40259)

Expert

It might if that was the case.I see very FEW KIA's.
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-14 6:28 PM (#40448 - in reply to #40394)

Veteran

Originally written by Downthealley on 2006-04-13 6:06 PM

I know too many people that have had MANY problems with the Exiss trailers. Even the dealer they got it at, after taking it in for many problems, said that the Exiss trailers arent made to be hauled/used to go up and down the road very much.

I too need to put my two cents in on this one.  I have an 2000 Exiss event with well over 55,000 miles on it, I'd say it's been up and down the road quite a bit.  We've had no problems with it whatsoever.  In fact, the independent trailer shop I take my trailer to to have the bearings packed and a safety inspection done has remarked at how well made the trailer is.  I too have have spoken to many other Exiss owners and only one I have spoken to has been unhappy, the others have all been quite satisfied with their trailers. 

With any brand of trailer (or car for that matter), there will be individual trailers that, for whatever reason, will have a greater than usual number of  problems.  For example, a friend of mine has a 2002 4-star that's had several problems from the time it was new, such as back doors not closing properly, tack room flooding (really flooding, not just a little leak), etc.  The 4-star he had before the 2002 trailer never had any problems.  I'm not bashing 4-star, I think they are good trailers too, I'm just pointing out that he had one problem free 4-star and one not so good 4-star; that can be the case for any trailer brand.

If it were me, I would speak to both Exiss owners and Silver Star owners and find out what their experiences have been like with their trailers.  If the person I'm talking to has not owned/used the brand of trailer I'm interested in, I would be less likely to base my decision on their opinions.

As for me I wouldn't hesitate getting another Exiss, although I would not by any of the Exiss 'sport' models.

Anyway like I said that's my two cents on the subject.  I hope whatever brand you buy you are happy with it.  

Edited by RoperChick 2006-04-14 6:30 PM
pegasus
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-04-15 1:36 PM (#40480 - in reply to #40259)

Regular

true,

my 99 Star Lite is a great trailer, completely insulated with a walk-through door, the two features I was adamant about.  when I was looking with my list of must-haves and wants, the Star Lite, Silver Star  kept coming to the top in my price range.  i had never heard of them so i did lots of research and am very happy with my trailer. 

the gooseneck windows are large egress windows for safety, one feature i had not thought of, but very grateful the Star Lite folks did.  

and i'm SO glad i insisted on the insulated part.   we spent several hours in the Walmart tire shop on a trip last summer on a blistering day  with no problems, horse was cooler in the trailer than out. and seems it's always hot here when i'm hauling.

the floor construction is very solid and everything is functioning well.  it also pulls great, something i was concerned about since it's longer than i was planning on,(the little love seat was just so darned cute!). my 3/4 ton 2500HD chev handles it well.

oh, its a 3 horse aluminum slant with 7' short wall complete LQ, 21' box.

happy hauling   

muleskinner
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-15 2:12 PM (#40481 - in reply to #40399)

Regular

Originally written by MIfarmbabe on 2006-04-13 7:58 PM

I have to step in on this one and say that every Exiss owner that I have met has said nothing but good things about their trailers. That is what pulled me towards purchasing the Exiss Event I currently have. I have been very happy with mine. I see many Exiss trailers on the road over the Silver Star brand, being because the Exiss is just more popular in this area and very few of the other brand are found in this state. I think they are more common out west? I looked at the SilverStar trailers down at the Congress show in Ohio and I thought they were a nice trailer and yes some of their features were comparable to a 4Star but I didn'tnotice quitethe price difference between it and an Exiss?

The baloney about 'Exiss trailers arent made to be hauled/used to go up and down the road very much'. One person makes that up and then everyone believes it, like fueling a fire. So to each his own. I am sure you will find the right trailer for you and your horses

I'm a horse hauler,doing on average 80k per year.My 2003 silver-star has 240k. miles ,with ZERO problems.The insulated top is great in the high heat.Most pleasure riders will not tow 240K in their lifetime.There are many haulers using the exiss,with good reliability and durability.I prefer the Silverstar,for the money,but would not hesitate to pull an exiss. I believe most of the trailers nowadays are good,so buy what you like or can afford
kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-04-17 1:02 PM (#40550 - in reply to #40481)

I am very happy with my Exiss Sport. I know it's not as 'nice' as the Event, but I needed to start somewhere, and I believe it will hold it's value when I sell it later on, or trade it in.

I don't think it's fair to compare Kia's or Merc's- or even fair to Exiss to call it a Kia? How crappy is that? Unless you yourself have had trouble with an Exiss, butt out. Period.

I happen to like my Sport with small LQ: I like it, darn it!

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-04-17 1:27 PM (#40554 - in reply to #40259)

Elite Veteran

Do yourself a big favor and pick the silver star. If you cannot afford a really good new trailer... get a really good(4-star/elite/cimmaron/hart) used, or get a composite (steel frame/alum walls) that will serve you well... right, you see alot of Exxis trailers because they are inexpensive and well marketed... you must be aware of the difference between a Mercedes-Benz and a Hyundai (other than price)... good luck! I want good horses to be safe!
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-04-17 4:03 PM (#40570 - in reply to #40259)

Elite Veteran

Question for Reg-could you explain the divider on a track thing a little more? Sounds like an idea whose time has come. Thanks, Terri
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-04-17 4:11 PM (#40571 - in reply to #40259)

Expert

You mean my horses are not "safe" in an Exiss trailer? Can you qualify that remark?
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-04-18 9:20 AM (#40622 - in reply to #40571)

Elite Veteran

I am saying that you need to take care of it and wash the backend out with each use and check it over regularly... as we all should no matter what trailer we have...We have many  friends who own Exxis trailers... some are wishing they had spent a little more and gotten the trailer they really wanted, but then, we have All been there...Hey, I would like to have a semi-size LQ with a massage therapist named "Sven" onboard, and a driver that looks like Antonia Banderas....and a groomsman to take care of my horse and saddle it... I better get to work! its gonna take more $$$$ than I have to get er done...
randas
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-04-18 10:06 AM (#40626 - in reply to #40259)

New User

I agree...  do yourself and your horses a favor and go with Silver Star.  I've pulled Exiss, 4-Star, C&C, Silver Star and Hart trailers.  I would gladly own any of those trailers again- except for the Exiss.  I never had any trouble with mine, and I'm sure there are a lot of nice ones out there.  There resale value just doesnt hold up as well as others on the market because of the trouble they have had.

Not knocking anyone that pulls an Exiss, like I said- there are some nice ones out there.  If you're still unsure, ask the dealers about how the floor beams are placed in both trailers.  Good luck on your purchase! 

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-18 1:00 PM (#40629 - in reply to #40570)

Expert

Originally written by terri s on 2006-04-17 5:03 PM

Question for Reg-could you explain the divider on a track thing a little more? Sounds like an idea whose time has come. Thanks, Terri

I remember that there was a continuous overhead track running across the trailer at the back. It allowed the width of the trailer to be divided into equal halves or other proportion according to the sizes of the horses (e.g.a LARGE horse and a small pony). What I don't remember is whether there were discrete stops to latch it in just a few defined places, or if it could be clamped anywhere along the track. I don't remember there being anything different about a track at the front either, so it was probably same/similar.
If you're REALLY interested in something like that you could probably find it as a "feature and benefit" on their web site (-:

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-04-18 1:02 PM (#40630 - in reply to #40259)

Elite Veteran

I'll do that, thanks. Having a 1400 pound, long-backed mare and a 1000 pound, short-backed gelding, it seems like a great idea to me.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-04-18 3:03 PM (#40636 - in reply to #40622)

Expert

So how is it my horses are not "safe" in an Exiss trailer? Washing out a trailer will not make it any safer than if you don't. I am still wondering what the safety issue is with an Exiss, according to you...

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-18 3:48 PM (#40638 - in reply to #40630)

Expert

Originally written by terri s on 2006-04-18 2:02 PM

I'll do that, thanks. Having a 1400 pound, long-backed mare and a 1000 pound, short-backed gelding, it seems like a great idea to me.

That is where adjustable position chest and butt bars would also be nice.
Brenderup has a nicely adjustable butt bar arrangement.
I had thought of welding up some sort of "rack" to drop the bars into, lower and shorter, or higher and longer. I did the sketches, but still havn't built it.
branguschick
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-20 12:26 AM (#40709 - in reply to #40259)

New User

In my opinion the Exiss is better built. Go with the Exiss you'll be pleased!!!!
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-04-20 6:48 AM (#40713 - in reply to #40259)

Veteran

They are both good trailers, Look each of them over and pick the one that has the features that fit your needs and you won't go wrong. Both have very good floor support systems and are sturdy trailers. The only problem I know of the Exiss having is a seal problem a couple years ago and They have changed it to take care of the leaks. But even with the problem, they warranted the leaking and fixed the trailers. Most trailer MFG's don't even give a leak warranty. If any of you out there have had problems with the Exiss LQ interior, That is not Exiss, it is the interior Company that built the interior. Yes, the Sport is a lighter built trailer, but it was built so that people that wanted an aluminum trailer but couldn't or didn't want to pay a high price for one could afford it. It is an introductory trailer. Nothing wrong with that either. As far as the pitting of any aluminum flooring goes, It is up to the owner of the trailer to care for the floor. Cleaning and inspecting any floor is a good idea, Also when cleaning you can sprinkle Baking Soda under the mats to break down the acid in the urine and help maintain any floor. The floor system in both trailers are comparable. Both different but both very strong. Like I said before, either one you want is the right choice for you.

Good Luck

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)